DICE announces Battlefield 4 netcode, balance fixes

DICE announces Battlefield 4 netcode, balance fixes

EA's troubled Battlefield 4 is still being actively fixed by DICE, even as the company works on its successor Battlefield Hardline.

Electronic Arts' DICE studio has announced continued improvements to Battlefield 4, even as the company prepares to launch its cops-and-robbers-themed successor Battlefield Hardline.

The launch of Battlefield 4, the latest title in EA's military-themed first-person shooter franchise, did not go smoothly: numerous bugs led DICE to cease work on all other projects until they could be addressed and even resulted in a lawsuit from investors who believed they had been misled as to the quality and robustness of the title ahead of its launch. In March, DICE claimed that fixing the multiplayer network code bugs was one of the studio's top priorities, and now it's announced the progress it has made on that front.

In an official blog post, associate producer David Sirland stated that fixes released this month have improved various multiplayer issues including the feeling of being impossibly killed when behind cover or before a damage indicator appears. The work is far from complete, however, with more releases due to launch over the coming months - an embarrassingly long time since the original release of the game.

The company has also announced the Core Gameplay Initiative, in which it will make modifications to various in-game variables to better balance the title. The first area of focus is the newly-released Dragon's Teeth expansion pack, which added a Ballistics Shield players had noted was significantly overpowered. The modifications now make it impossible to one-hit kill with the shield, and solve a flaw that made a shield-bearer invulnerable to AP rounds from tanks. The company has also confirmed impending changes for the Rush game mode on Siege of Shanghai, Zavod 311 and Operation Locker maps.

Sirland has also promised future improvements to weapon balancing, head-flinch dampening, vehicle tuning, HUD improvements, and yet more bug fixes. He has also encouraged gamers to sign up to the Community Test Environment in order to get the latest fixes before general release and to influence future modifications made to the game. 'We’ve tested tons of things in the CTE, ranging from general gameplay tweaks to bug fixes. Many hours have been spent by the team watching live streamed gameplay, analysing telemetry data, and of course, interacting with the players on the forums,' claimed Sirland. 'It’s been a tremendous help to the team and we thank all those participating.'

Jimbob 30th June 2014, 11:33 Quote
Whilst it's great fun to complain about EA & of course this should have been sorted for release it is great that they do continue to push out patches and updates.

How many of us have bought a game that is clearly broken in one way or another and never received any patches.
GeorgeK 30th June 2014, 11:37 Quote
I gave up playing this tbh and can't see myself going back. I definitely would have got a refund if it was possible... Will probably also avoid any further BF titles too in case they're as terribly put together as this when they first come out...
Artanix 30th June 2014, 11:59 Quote

So they're still running the paid closed beta then? :D

Seriously, this game is what, 8 months old now? And its still experiencing bugs from release!? BF3, Sim city and then BF4 finally made me learn the lesson and I refuse to buy any EA games nowadays. I didn't buy Titanfall and it sounded like that had some "fun" day 1 issues also.

People should really stop buying these games when they're rushed out and not finished; don't even pirate them, that gives them an excuse for bad sales.
Parge 30th June 2014, 12:12 Quote
Originally Posted by GeorgeK

Same, and honestly, its a great shame since if I recall correctly I played Battlefield 3 for over 300 hours!
Parge 30th June 2014, 12:22 Quote
Also, since the development has moved to DICE LA, its been nothing but great. I feel for them too, having to fix someone else's broken game.
DriftCarl 30th June 2014, 12:26 Quote
I played it again this weekend for a few hours. Major issues are still ingame, I am still getting shot from behind the wall due to the netcode. I know the new patch isn't online yet but this is frankly shocking 8 months after release.

There are still many many "invisible walls" in every map, as well as invisible trees.

I won't be buying BF Hardline, I didn't buy titanfall. I will probably get Mirrors Edge 2 as I cant see how they could possibly mess that up, but I don't think I will get battlefront 3.
Basically my trust in DICE ability to create multiplayer games has been lost. I have no confidence in their ability in this area of game design at the moment.
cps1974 30th June 2014, 12:49 Quote
still a quality game even with the lousy netcode, just shocked how it's taken them almost 1 year to fix

even with lousy netcode I still have a KDR of almost 2.0, bought the game about 3 months back (only instalment of BF I have not had at release date)

and I'm not a sniper, I'm a flag taker (carbine, assault rifle, LMG etc) - just before someone explodes and tells me to stop sniping
Neogumbercules 1st July 2014, 05:11 Quote
"Welp Johan and Lars, it's been a solid 9 months. I think it's time to start working on core game mechanics!"

- DICE President and CEO; Swedish Chef.

sY_Yf4zz-yo