Mass Effect 3 multiplayer announced

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer announced

EA and Bioware have announced multiplayer features for upcoming RPG Mass Effect 3.

Electronic Arts and Bioware have confirmed that upcoming RPG sequel Mass Effect 3 will feature a new multiplayer mode that lets players fight alongside their friends.

The long-rumoured addition to the previously singleplayer-only series was announced to Australian magazine PC Powerplay.

Details are few at this point and, while sources within EA have long hinted that Mass Effect 3 will feature a co-operative mode that stands separate from the main campaign, no specific information has yet been formally announced.

Then again, multiplayer features were previously rumoured for Mass Effect 2 as well...

For more information on the Mass Effect 3 you can check out the trailer below, or pick up the latest issue of Custom PC Magazine (Issue 98), which features a number of print-exclusive previews for games such as Mass Effect 3, Arma 3 and Far Cry 3.

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

abezors 10th October 2011, 11:50 Quote
Interesting news. I can imagine it would feel similar to Gears of War though.

Hope they balance it better than the SP classes otherwise everyone's gonna play as Sentinel class
improprietary 10th October 2011, 11:51 Quote
those assholes! I already decided not to buy it due to drm!
Oooh consider a group of biotics going fu on sentinels.
DBA 10th October 2011, 11:52 Quote
Singleplayer games getting multiplayer addon, because some men in suit think it will sell better.
Sketchee 10th October 2011, 11:57 Quote
Excellent!
[PUNK] crompers 10th October 2011, 12:52 Quote
Could be good, could also be really bad
Xir 10th October 2011, 13:00 Quote
As long as it doesn't affect singleplayer...
srgtherasta 10th October 2011, 13:49 Quote
I don't see this as being a good thing, me has always been a single player game and a fine one at it. Don't really want them wasting time on mp at the expence of the single player. They did this with dead space too, which i think made the single palyer lose out abit.
sotu1 10th October 2011, 14:12 Quote
I think MP will be a seperate element. I doubt BioWare would do it without having properly thought it out
NuTech 10th October 2011, 14:41 Quote
I don't really think adversarial multiplayer would suit Mass Effect's combat style.

What I'd love to see is a 'horde' mode, where you take your single player character (including whatever weapons you've acquired) into a wave-based map with 3 other players.
Bede 10th October 2011, 15:08 Quote
+1, that would be awesome!
Baz 10th October 2011, 16:55 Quote
/prediction

It'll be cack.
RedFlames 10th October 2011, 17:36 Quote
Originally Posted by Baz
/prediction

It'll be cack.

^-- that
SMIFFYDUDE 10th October 2011, 18:16 Quote
They'll need to do somthing completely original with the multiplayer for it to succeed or it'll be just another singleplayer game with empty multiplayer servers.
Apoptosis 10th October 2011, 18:28 Quote
Absolutely don't require nothing resembling a multiplayer, but if they HAVE to tack it on, I hope it doesn't detract from the single player.
Telltale Boy 10th October 2011, 18:45 Quote
Hold on, from reading the comments I was worried because I thought they must be creating a new tacked-on PvP multiplayer mode. But after reading the article I see know problem with an added Co-op mode. While for me I could have just as easily had it as singleplayer again, I don't think a co-op mode will detract too much from the main game; I could also potentially see it being very fun... as long as hey integrate it well with the SP story anyway.
Spuzzell 11th October 2011, 01:54 Quote
I genuinely do not understand this obsessive need some people seem to have for co-op in everything. Its completely inappropriate in a story based game that is the finale to a single player trilogy.

I've already prepared myself for disappointment from ME3 so I'm not that upset about this, but honestly.. its the end of an epic story arc. Why could you not just focus on making it the best ending you could?

I want to finish my Shepard's story, not have it turned into yet another knock-about co-op shooter.

Dickheads. Them and anyone who wanted to turn ME into just another Gears Of War.
The_Beast 11th October 2011, 02:24 Quote
As long as it doesn't take away from SP they could do anything they want. If MP turns out to be good, then even better but SP has to be priority #1