Multiplayer hinted for Mass Effect 2

Multiplayer hinted for Mass Effect 2

BioWare has refused to deny multiplayer as a feature for Mass Effect 2, though it hasn't confirmed it either.

BioWare founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka have hinted that multiplayer may feature in Mass Effect 2 in some form, though the RPG developer hasn't yet officially confirmed such a thing.

When pressed about the topic of co-op play in an interview with MTV Multiplayer, the BioWare bosses said only that the full feature set for Mass Effect 2 hadn't yet been fully disclosed.

Ray Muzyka did say however that, on a broad level, multiplayer was something that BioWare was very interested in exploring in future titles.

"Multiplayer has to be central to the game to make sense. I think you see examples of games that have thrown in multiplayer modes that don't make any sense and then you see games that are built from the ground up as co-op experiences," continued Greg Zeschuk.

The duo also refused to comment on how savegames from the first Mass Effect would be relevant to the sequel either, though they still advise that players hang on to their current savegames as they will be used in some way.

Other than that, Mass Effect 2 is apparently going to focus on correcting mistakes with the previous games and honing the feeling of combat and exploration. Both BioWare bosses said that they wanted the game to feel like a much more fluid shooter, while also making sidequests and uncharted planets feel more unique in the sequel.

Is there anything particular you're hoping to see in Mass Effect 2? Let us know in the forums.

p3n 1st April 2009, 15:47 Quote
Racing the stupid APC would be funny, for a while; kind of like ME1!
bowman 1st April 2009, 17:13 Quote
Death to the Mako.

If they're doing MP it better involve some woosh and pew-pew in space.
CardJoe 1st April 2009, 17:20 Quote
I always rather liked the Mako. I never had any problems with it. Some of the complaints that people voiced in reviews, namely that "it handles like some sort of weird space buggy in low gravity or something" as a I heard one reviewer say, just seemed deliberately dense.
WildThing 1st April 2009, 18:39 Quote
Originally Posted by CardJoe

Arg! I hated the Mako with a passion! :( It never went where I wanted it to and just kept bouncing around all over the place! :(
Mentai 1st April 2009, 21:53 Quote
I didn't mind the mako too much, those planet explorations definitely got repetitive though. I hope they don't add coop. I prefer it when trilogys stick to one gameplay formula and refine it.
This new coop craze is badly timed for me. Back when I was a kid I would only play with friends, but now with studies ramping up I find I prefer single player only experiences, since I have such little time and live in different cities to my old gamer buddies. Left4Dead was all good because it is quick and fun, but an RPG coop? No thanks, leave that for the Old Republic MMO.
banshee256 1st April 2009, 21:55 Quote
'fluid shooter' and 'co-op' are not words that I welcome, when the subject is Mass Effect. More unique uncharted worlds on the other hand, are more than welcome. But why does EVERY game released HAVE to have multiplayer? Skip it. Use the resources on improving singleplayer and leave multiplayer for other games. Heavens know that there are plenty of multiplayer games, but very few (good) singleplayer games.

EDIT: Never had any problems with the Mako either.
chrisb2e9 1st April 2009, 21:56 Quote
I loved the mako. I thought it was easy to drive. I just wish that the jump jets would have an auto level feature so that you dont land on some odd angle every time.
Not sure about multi player though.
Skutbag 2nd April 2009, 00:48 Quote
Millions of multiplayer games out there- don't compete if it's not your real goal- which should be telling us and letting us influence a cool story.
john125 2nd April 2009, 09:30 Quote
I think it must be better then Mako...
kosch 2nd April 2009, 13:54 Quote
Bah dont ruin ME2 by putting a multiplayer component in it. Keep it a strong single player story game!