bit-gamer.net

Battle.net is effective anti-piracy tool

Battle.net is effective anti-piracy tool

Blizzard has claimed Battle.net is an effective anti-piracy tool and has helped protect new games.

Blizzard has patted itself on the back for developing Battle.net, which it claims is an effective tool in the fight against game piracy.

"For World of Warcraft we have been able to work well around the piracy issue and we think we'll be able to do the same with StarCraft II," Blizzard's Michael Ryder told MCV.

"The Battle.net solution provides several things. It provides better continuity for the players and it gives them a stronger way to participate in an overall Blizzard community. But what also goes hand-in-hand with the Battle.net solution is that we work really hard to offer a tailored, regional business model, so it reduces the incentives to go to a pirated solution."

Battle.net is Blizzard's new online platform, which StarCraft 2 players are required to register with and log in to before they can play.

Ryder also took the chance to say that Blizzard's 2007 merger with Activision hasn't changed the focus of the company or the quality of its games.

"We operate in pretty much the same way we always have. Since we have been working with Activision we continue to be who we are. We make the same decisions in the same way we always have, and the relationship with Activision hasn't changed that," he said.

"For example, we often talk about play nice and play fair, which has to do how we work with each other and our partners. Preserving that Blizzard culture is a key part of our ability to continue to deliver great games."

For more information on Blizzard's latest game, StarCraft 2, you can read Harry's StarCraft 2 review - or listen to Joe and Harry argue in our StarCraft 2 podcast.

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

62 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Phalanx 10th August 2010, 11:06 Quote
Well the merge definitely DID affect Starcraft 2. I mean, look at that RRP!
aLtikal 10th August 2010, 11:08 Quote
Aye the cost of starcraft 2 is a ****ing joke. im waiting for it to come down to 17.99 or something. Cant afford 35quid for a game lol. God i hate being a skint student...
Autti 10th August 2010, 11:17 Quote
The RRP is fine. You pay how much for a movie? And get how many hours out of it? Have a look at how many cents your paying per hour for Starcraft 2, no quit complaining.
CardJoe 10th August 2010, 11:30 Quote
The RRP is not £35 in the UK. It is £44.99 for the standard edition. Nearly all retailers are selling it at below RRP, however.

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40172/Starcraft-II-gets-4499-RRP
Salty Wagyu 10th August 2010, 11:31 Quote
Maybe effective, but it hurts legit players too. Battle.net was down on one evening that I couldn't play the single player campaign at all. Sure, there's guest mode that I could have played on, but that doesn't have my campaign progress on it.

And the funny thing about it all? Pirates can play while Battle.net is down.
Xir 10th August 2010, 11:35 Quote
On-Line for single player is not a feature...
Even steam got that and enables you to play Offline.
frontline 10th August 2010, 11:36 Quote
hmm, reminds me of the problems with EA's verification servers on BFBC2 when it launched...

£35 is a bit too high, even if it is a significant saving on the RRP. I'd probably be tempted at £24.99-£29.99, so i'll wait a few months and pick it up in a sale.
dyzophoria 10th August 2010, 11:38 Quote
its not battle.net that helped blizzard lessen pirates with sc2, it was a good game. you have good games worth buying, people wont pirate it.
Sleepstreamer 10th August 2010, 11:39 Quote
I can never see myself buying a game with this kind of drm tbh, which is probably why all my bought games with online activation are still in their untouched plastic cases, never even opened. I just play the cracked versions instead. Forcing people to have a an internet connection for playing a single player campaign is just completely unacceptable.

The only ones getting shafted are the paying customers, as usual.
Psytek 10th August 2010, 11:43 Quote
I don't see how they can claim that battle net is effective against piracy, when there were cracks available before the release date of the game, and groups are working on creating hacked auth servers to spoof battle net so that pirates can play multiplayer as well. If anything, battle net is just a big stick covered in honey and dunked in £50 notes, just goading the hackers into spending all their time cracking a system so obnoxious in it's treatment of paying customers.
mrbens 10th August 2010, 11:44 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
The RRP is not £35 in the UK. It is £44.99 for the standard edition. Nearly all retailers are selling it at below RRP, however.

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/40172/Starcraft-II-gets-4499-RRP

Yes, we know, even at £35 it's still too much for me unfortunately.

Not sure how battle.net is stopping piracy as the game was cracked and on the net the day after release and pirated WOW can be played on cracked servers. Maybe they just mean it stops multiplayer on the pirated versions but that's just the same as any other game as not many cracked games can be played online.
Yslen 10th August 2010, 12:13 Quote
Can this game be pirated? Yes. This attempt has been no more successful than any other. Honestly, if they want to try new methods of reducing piracy that's fine, but when it's clear the pirates have made copies available online anyway (and that they work) the game should be patched to remove the DRM. It doesn't do anything but annoy genuine customers once it reaches that stage.
liratheal 10th August 2010, 12:17 Quote
Shame it drops my friends like no tomorrow.
Plugs 10th August 2010, 12:29 Quote
Yes!!
Activision ARE anti-piracy tools

..wait
what was the question?
DriftCarl 10th August 2010, 12:34 Quote
I have already got my monies worth with SC2, I have played over 300 games in multiplayer with mates and 1v1 with random people. I havnt played the single player much, but I expect to be playing SC2 for a long while, so £35 for probably 6-12 months of entertainment is pretty good value for money in my eyes.
It may stop multiplayer piracy, but certainly doesnt stop single player. It also doesnt appear to stop hacking, which is my number 1 concern 100%, the only thing I care about is playing against people who dont cheat with maphacks and resource hacks.I couldnt care less about single player piracy.
I do like having all my games on 1 account though, its just a shame it cant all be on steam(overlay works though in SC2) but that would probably be seen as anticompetative.
alexandros1313 10th August 2010, 12:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarste
Maybe effective, but it hurts legit players too. Battle.net was down on one evening that I couldn't play the single player campaign at all. Sure, there's guest mode that I could have played on, but that doesn't have my campaign progress on it.

And the funny thing about it all? Pirates can play while Battle.net is down.

Actually, it doesn't work like that. Assuming you've activated the game, if your connection or battle.net goes down, start the game normally, enter your password and wait a few seconds. When the game fails to connect, it will ask you if you want to play in offline mode. Choose "Offline" and you'll have full access to the single player portion of the game, including your saved games.
Unknownsock 10th August 2010, 13:00 Quote
Yea but Battle.net got hacked during the SC2 beta, also you can set up your own WoW private server in no time at all.

And stop being so stingy its 5 freaking pounds extra than the norm. And considering its one of the best RTS's out there..Your loss!
DarkFear 10th August 2010, 13:04 Quote
BNet can go to hell and die.

Thanks Blizzard, for yet another system that forces people to be ONLINE to play a game in single player.

Screw it, I'm replaying SC:BW. As a bounus, I don't have to be online to host a LAN game.
UrbanMarine 10th August 2010, 13:05 Quote
I like how every company posts this rubbish, when the piracy community cracks their game. "Our system is great blah blah blah." "Why? Because blah blah blah. I'm sorry gaming wizards, but the hacker community is far more computer savy than you.

The devs and publishers used to have a pair of balls, now they just QQ and blow smoke up our asses.
StoneyMahoney 10th August 2010, 13:15 Quote
I have a friend who plays on an unofficial WoW server. She showed me some footage she recorded from a guild Naxx raid she went on. I have to admit I was highly impressed with the duplication of the encounter mechanics. It wasn't perfect but it sure was close enough for jazz.

Also, while I don't condone the whole enterprise as such, the server software is independently developed, not cracked or pirated. As an act of preemptive preservation, we may be very thankful for it when Blizzard close down the official servers (in a decade or so at this rate).
sear 10th August 2010, 13:31 Quote
If you think that Activision has not influenced Blizzard's direction - everything from extra subscriptions, to splitting StarCraft II into three separate products, to premium microtransactions in World of Warcraft, to higher retail prices, to online-only gameplay, to forcing players into giving up their personal information in order to play (which is then sold to advertising companies, which never ever comes back to the user in the form of lower prices)... yeah, you'd have to be naive.

Activision itself may not be involved with Blizzard directly, but Blizzard is a subsidiary of Activision Blizzard, and Blizzard have to report to the same executives and the same shareholders as Activision... not to mention that companies like Disney are involved as well.
mastorofpuppetz 10th August 2010, 13:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzophoria
its not battle.net that helped blizzard lessen pirates with sc2, it was a good game. you have good games worth buying, people wont pirate it.

Keep burying your head in the sand, the better the game the more it gets pirated. Yoy saying SC2 is the only good game? Some of the best games ever were pirated to hell and back. People will pirate it because they can and have no fear of retribution.
Unknownsock 10th August 2010, 13:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzophoria
its not battle.net that helped blizzard lessen pirates with sc2, it was a good game. you have good games worth buying, people wont pirate it.

Keep burying your head in the sand, the better the game the more it gets pirated. Yoy saying SC2 is the only good game? Some of the best games ever were pirated to hell and back. People will pirate it because they can and have no fear of retribution.

I disagree, maybe static numbers but if you looked at percentages. Although obviously there will be exceptions.
the-beast 10th August 2010, 13:54 Quote
Well done Blizzard, your so called anti-piracy measures have centrally prevented me from buying the game!

I'm glad that SC2 is proving a success for Blizzard but they wont be getting my cash while the following problems exist:

1. Cost - £35 for a PC game! Forget that, I'm not made of money

2. DRM - I have a personal objection on having to 'activate' a game on install, sign in at least once and every 30 days to play the single player portion of the game. Hell, no other industry takes your money and then demands that you prove your legitimacy to own the game every time you want to play the game.

3. No offline LAN

4. No ability to patch the game offline (i.e. download patch from another location and move to computer with game on via usb etc)

My Internet connection is crap (Not Blizzard's fault I know, but it influences my purchasing derisions). It's off for several days a week and has a very low (3GB per month) cap. This is due to the fact I live out in the middle of nowhere, therefore I'm not likely to buy anything that needs authorisation or online only patching as I want to play the game when I want not only when the Internet connection is working or Blizzard says I can.

Unless Blizzard fix these limitations or the game in its current state is in the bargain bin for less than 5 pound I won't be getting this. Pity as I still play the original SC with my brother over the LAN. :(

What's even worse is that all of this DRM rubbish has made sod all difference to the piracy rate. It was cracked on release day!
Blademrk 10th August 2010, 13:55 Quote
I was going to get this at the end of the month, didn't realise it had an always connected DRM scheme.

:(, Looks like I won't be getting/playing this then. Guess I'll have to stick with the first SC and BW expansion.

I was looking forward to the single player campaign and I've got very little to no interest in online play with it, as I know I'm not that good at RTS games on line.
mastorofpuppetz 10th August 2010, 13:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock
I disagree, maybe static numbers but if you looked at percentages. Although obviously there will be exceptions.

HUH? Show me these phantom percentages, the more popular, the better the game the more torrent downloads, that's a fact. Saying it never got pirated because it was good? LMAO, SC2 is not the best game evar, many great games over the years got pirated to hell, fact. total BS.

People will download period, good game or not.
reflux 10th August 2010, 14:05 Quote
Lol @ everyone whining about it being £35......

And what's the big problem with the DRM either? How many of us here don't have broadband? I can see a reason to complain if you live in the middle of nowhere with 56k - yep, that would hack me off, but why the hell does anyone else care?
wafflesomd 10th August 2010, 14:07 Quote
Well you can play the pirated version online and single player so I'm not so sure about this article.
Kúsař 10th August 2010, 14:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzophoria
its not battle.net that helped blizzard lessen pirates with sc2, it was a good game. you have good games worth buying, people wont pirate it.

Keep burying your head in the sand, the better the game the more it gets pirated. Yoy saying SC2 is the only good game? Some of the best games ever were pirated to hell and back. People will pirate it because they can and have no fear of retribution.

1.5 millions of copies sold within 48 hours after release? Goddamn piracy, right. Pirates will download it, definitely. But others will buy it, if it's worth the money...Valve and Blizzard proved it's possible :)
DarkLord7854 10th August 2010, 14:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sear
splitting StarCraft II into three separate products

They've said multiple times the reason for splitting it was because each product is a full self-contained game with a full-length campaign covering about 30 maps..



I haven't found a single issue with BNet so far, it's been fast, reliable, and easy-to-use. Much better than other "solutions" developers have tried to fight piracy.
dyzophoria 10th August 2010, 14:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastorofpuppetz
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzophoria
its not battle.net that helped blizzard lessen pirates with sc2, it was a good game. you have good games worth buying, people wont pirate it.

Keep burying your head in the sand, the better the game the more it gets pirated. Yoy saying SC2 is the only good game? Some of the best games ever were pirated to hell and back. People will pirate it because they can and have no fear of retribution.

im not burying my head in the sand. Im just saying cause a lot of my friends always pirates game. and for some reason they say "not this one im buying it, its sc2". And I felt the same way somehow. of course alot will still pirate it. but if you think about if you like a game. if you like a music album, personally you will buy it. If you didn't feel the same way about it. and 99% of all the people around dont really give shi*t about or respect good developers then point taken. :)
zelachang 10th August 2010, 14:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarste
Maybe effective, but it hurts legit players too. Battle.net was down on one evening that I couldn't play the single player campaign at all. Sure, there's guest mode that I could have played on, but that doesn't have my campaign progress on it.

And the funny thing about it all? Pirates can play while Battle.net is down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFear
BNet can go to hell and die.

Thanks Blizzard, for yet another system that forces people to be ONLINE to play a game in single player.

Screw it, I'm replaying SC:BW. As a bounus, I don't have to be online to host a LAN game.


Stop.
Spreading.
Lies.

You can play single player in off line mode with your saved games.
Steve @ CCL 10th August 2010, 14:47 Quote
Battle.net is nothing new, people like me who played the original starcraft and diablo and warcraft games online will all know Battle.net is oldschool. The only reason blizzard haven't had many pirate versions of WoW is because.. well it's an online only game, game pirates generally know that a pirate game will not work online, we sacrifice online play for a free game. (Side note there are LOTS of private WoW servers to allow players to play online for free)

The same goes for SC2 people are buying it simply because they want to play it online and they know the only way to be able to do this is purchase a legit copy. It's got buggerall to do with BNet.
DarkFear 10th August 2010, 15:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelachang
Stop.
Spreading.
Lies.

You can play single player in off line mode with your saved games.

You're supposed to be able to. Mine didn't want to though.

Not that it matters anymore, gave my copy to a friend (who DOESN'T have internet access at his house) due to lack of LAN. (How I missed that bit of information I have no idea) but needless to say, I wasn't impressed.

Replaying SC1 and SupCom... On a LAN. Without internet access. Screw BNet >:(
Jezcentral 10th August 2010, 15:35 Quote
I don't see signing on to BattleNet as any different to signing on to Steam (apart from the password not being remembered). If it doesn't work, you play in Offline mode.
s3v3n 10th August 2010, 15:36 Quote
The only thing I don't like about battle.net is that to have someone add you as a real buddy, you have to give them your battle.net account name, ie email. I would have prefered if there was an alternate email we can give out or if the battle.net account name was something else like a screenname.
There's lots of wow friends thats I would like to chat with, but I'm not so sure about giving out my battle.net account name like that.
Krazeh 10th August 2010, 15:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3v3n
The only thing I don't like about battle.net is that to have someone add you as a real buddy, you have to give them your battle.net account name, ie email. I would have prefered if there was an alternate email we can give out or if the battle.net account name was something else like a screenname.
There's lots of wow friends thats I would like to chat with, but I'm not so sure about giving out my battle.net account name like that.

Surely the point of the real id system is that it allows you to connect with your real life friends, i.e. those who you really shouldn't be worried about giving your email address to.
ImInTheZoneBaby 10th August 2010, 16:15 Quote
Check out my post here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2388242

It'll show you just how "effective" battle.net really is...
GravitySmacked 10th August 2010, 16:33 Quote
As mush as I hate DRM it's been mentioned a couple of times that you can play the SP offline so there's no issue there then.

I haven't experienced any problems with BattleNet as yet (which I couldn't say the same of Steam at the beginning). There's a lot of content within SC2 so I'm more than happy with my purchase.
rollo 10th August 2010, 16:56 Quote
All wow Private servers first and foremost are poor resprensations of live games you cant raid on them ive played live and private ( private for the laughs of soloing raid zones with level 255 characters ) private is just so poor its not even funny all the bosses for example just stand there and beat you up use no abilities so you dont even see some fights the way they are ment to be done

messing around on private relms is fun for a laugh to see how crazy powered you can solo zones and free tier gear makes life a bit more fun.

Still totaly buggy

Starcraft 2 sold 1.5mil copies in 48hrs very few pc games have ever sold as well ( with the exeption of WOW itself)

If you make a great game people will buy it in there droves at any price point, £35 is really nothing in todays economy if you have a job its what your paying on lunch every week ( if you work in a city its what you pay every 2-3 days lol ) Price is a reason to pirate is a sad excuse

DRM in starcraft 2 is practically none existant

if you cant connect you can play it in offline mode. Ive unconnected my internet and played it offline to test this works fine even saves achievements which all update once you are reconected.

most people like the last pc game i brought ( battlefield bad company 2 ) will get 100s of hrs outta starcraft due to multiplayer and when you start to work it out £35 shared by 100 is 35 pence per hr

they have beaten piracy by releasing a great game i know people who have pirated it and went and brought it after they beat single player to play it online so didnt even get the single player outta it as they had already beaten it.

As for 3 diffrent games for the main races think i prefer it like that

Id take a bet now Diablo 3 will sell 1mil + copys in 48hrs of release. ( be easy money )
Redbeaver 10th August 2010, 17:24 Quote
it plays fine in offline mode.

sure u might miss a couple achievements, but seriously, whats the big deal?

i can sympathized with folks dont want to be online during their whole gaming period. but people who cant even stand to the idea of online activation is really gonna be left behind in the PC gaming industry, IMHO...

....unless they're pirates, and that just nullified their whole arguments in this thread lol.

which btw, shouldnt be titled "battlenet is an effective antipiracy tool". it should be "great game quality is an effective antipiracy tool".
Sloth 10th August 2010, 17:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7854
They've said multiple times the reason for splitting it was because each product is a full self-contained game with a full-length campaign covering about 30 maps..
That's the problem, they've said. Not they've shown or done. I don't have anything particular for or against SC2/BNet since I haven't played or had first hand experience with either, but I've had plenty of experience with exaggerated claims not being backed up and developers/publishers hunting for money. Can't wait to continue the story since the first SC was very interesting, but won't make a single purchase until I see the next two sections released.

Actually, I do have one complaint. Blizzard has done a terrible job with www.starcraft2.com. Even though their own videos showed the existence of various units, and the beta very much confirmed them, the website had not been updated to reflect the available units. Haven't checked since release, but I'd be shocked if it's gotten any better. But that doesn't really matter. It's just miffed me a bit since I'm a Zerg fan and for the longest time only two units were on the site: Hydras and Mutas. Woo hoo.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeaver
"great game quality is an effective antipiracy tool".
Not sure where people are getting that notion. 1.5 million copies in 48 hours is great, sure, but that doesn't say that there aren't 3 million pirates who all want the game just as bad. As has been said earlier, I doubt Blizzard claiming their DRM is great really has much weight behind it.
MiNiMaL_FuSS 10th August 2010, 17:39 Quote
They're joking right - WOW is rampant with bots and cheats all of which are easily obtainable.

SC2 is fully pirated - granted you can only use cracked servers, but I doubt the pirates will be complaining.

long road to go - C+ for effort
DarkLord7854 10th August 2010, 17:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth
Actually, I do have one complaint. Blizzard has done a terrible job with www.starcraft2.com.

They launched the new site the day before release with all units and stuff on there.. should take a look, there's a wealth of info.
Sloth 10th August 2010, 18:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7854
They launched the new site the day before release with all units and stuff on there.. should take a look, there's a wealth of info.
Finally! Left me quite unsettled about how the game was going to turn out in the months before the beta launched and the Terran page had a lot of cool looking units with neat little descriptions and videos, and the Protoss units had just the same, and Zerg had two units, both of which were unchanged from SC1, despite seeing Nydus Wurms and Banelings all over their videos.
Cool_CR 10th August 2010, 18:26 Quote
why is everyone bitching about SC2 launch price I got it for 29.99 with no delivery cost on the day of release??? Was pre order or looking around for a cheaper shop really that hard.
On the topic of new battle net though it doesnt seem as good stable or user frendly as old battle net but that might just by rose tinted memory from SC & Brood War.
Cool_CR 10th August 2010, 18:28 Quote
O and i will be getting Diablo 3 For £24.99 so um shop around.
pimonserry 10th August 2010, 18:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorrentFreak article
The unauthorized copies of [StarCraft 2] appeared on BitTorrent almost simultaneously with the official release and close to 100,000 copies were downloaded in the first 24 hours.

According to statistics gathered by TorrentFreak, the total number of pirated downloads of StarCraft 2 currently [Aug 9th, 2010] sits at 260,000, with 50,000 people actively sharing the game at the time of publication. This makes StarCraft 2 the most pirated game of 2010 to date.

Hmm, effective?

Source
Ross1 10th August 2010, 18:45 Quote
[QUOTE=pimonserry]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorrentFreak article


Hmm, effective?

Source

how many of those can play it online? You know thats the issue, not how many people have downloaded it.
Krayzie_B.o.n.e. 10th August 2010, 20:16 Quote
Battle.Net has done absolutely ZERO against piracy.

Starcraft 2 being a totally awesome game has done wonders for fighting piracy. PC gamers will pay for a quality game made for the PC.

Unfortunately piracy is still an issue with any game and people are playing pirated copies of Starcraft 2 in multi player mode.

Then again Piracy is free publicity for someone who has never play Starcraft, they pirate Starcraft 2 and like it so for now on they buy all of Blizzards future games. I think this is why Piracy still exist.
Damouse 10th August 2010, 20:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krayzie_B.o.n.e.
Battle.Net has done absolutely ZERO against piracy.

Unless you tried to break the DRM at some point, like the good folks at DarkBlizz, i dont think you know what youre talking about.

I know multiplayer has not been cracked yet (according to the good folks at darkblizz) as no bnet emulator has been finished yet. Im not sure where all those torrents are going. A non paying individual has been able to play vs ai sans cost since halfway through the beta, so that's nothing new. I dont know if singleplayer has been cracked, but i imagine it has.

To summarize: you still cant pirate multiplayer. BNet 2.0 seemingly works for that.

Also, screw activision. I like blizzard, but why oh why did they have to sell their souls? Paying maps? Really?
pimonserry 10th August 2010, 21:15 Quote
AFAIK you can't play multiplayer in almost any pirated game.
However, from the review, the singleplayer is supposed to be quite good, no? Thus, they've still got something they were after for nothing, and it's still possibly a lost sale for Blizzard.
DXR_13KE 10th August 2010, 21:30 Quote
No LAN play? Are you f***ing serious?
EdwardTeach 10th August 2010, 21:54 Quote
It is overpriced for a PC game.

£25 is the upper margins of what I would pay for a new game.

It's not that i could afford £35-£45 for this game, I could, its just that it doesn't represent good value in comparison to the rest of the PC market, and I don't want to feel like I am being ripped off.

Everyone has a finite pot of money to spend however and obviously if all PC games were this price, none of us would be able to buy as many games.
WarrenJ 11th August 2010, 10:06 Quote
I'm going to probably get my head ripped off for this, however, im all for it.

Considering how much development time goes into a game and costs etc. £35 is okay to me.
Logging into battle.net is no problem for me. Don't blame Blizzard for your crappy net connections most people here download using Steam and this issue should be taken up with your Internet Provider.

As for its effectiveness as an anti-piracy tool. Everything can be cracked to an extent. Wow does have free private servers that you can get access too. But what's the point in having a level whatever player on a server like that?

Just my 2cents.
yakyb 11th August 2010, 10:42 Quote
installed this last night and have no complaints with battle.net register then entergame key job done

my internet connection died 1/2 way through a fight last night and the game prompted me to say that acheivements would not be logged quickly ran downstairs to resart router and about 15 seconds later the game informaed me that the connection was back up

no complaints here
Teq 11th August 2010, 19:05 Quote
Not everyone has always on network connectivity, if that is the case you end up cracking the legitimately owned software to be able to play it putting your computer at risk. Pirates will still work around the measures in next to no time.
Hovis 11th August 2010, 19:35 Quote
I think the idea that Battle.net is an effective anti-piracy tool is inaccurate. People don't buy a game because they can't pirate it. The idea that somebody says, "Damn, I can't pirate this so I'll shell out £30 on it instead" is totally flawed, if somebody can't pirate a game then they usually just do without it, as evidenced by the fact that games that feature massive and invasive DRM don't sell any better than those that don't.

The best defence against piracy is quality and brand loyalty. If people like what you do then more of them will support you by buying your product.
Blademrk 12th August 2010, 10:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb
installed this last night and have no complaints with battle.net register then entergame key job done

my internet connection died 1/2 way through a fight last night and the game prompted me to say that acheivements would not be logged quickly ran downstairs to resart router and about 15 seconds later the game informaed me that the connection was back up

no complaints here

That doesn't sound too bad then. Nothing worse than being halfway through a level when your router hiccups and you lose your progress.
Anfield 12th August 2010, 16:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenJ
Considering how much development time goes into a game and costs etc. £35 is okay to me.

Don't blame Blizzard for your crappy net connections most people here download using Steam and this issue should be taken up with your Internet Provider.

Yes, Games cost a lot to produce, but lets face it, Game prices like everything else went up and and up in the last few years but salaries remained the same, even if someone is willing to buy new games on release for the full price it is getting harder and harder to afford it.

It is not just about speed / stability / reliability of the Internet connection, but also the fact that Blizzard forces P2P use and many ISPs have very severe punishments for their Customers when P2P use is detected and it is simply not possible for Consumers to challenge the policies of the ISPs.
deanimate 12th August 2010, 18:37 Quote
Was hoping this would be available for around £18 or so :/
Synikal Ali 7th September 2010, 16:02 Quote
Battle.net has added alot to the overall community of WoW as well, im just glad they didnt go through with the real id for the forums....
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums