bit-gamer.net

Activision defends MW2 on PC

Activision defends MW2 on PC

According to Activision the decision to remove dedicated server support in MW2 PC was for the best.

Activision president Mike Griffith has spoken out in defence of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, saying that the controversial decisions made around the PC version of the game were made in order to benefit the consumer experience as much as possible.

Those decisions include removing all dedicated servers and user-generated content, as well as halving the maximum number of players supported in the game.

"We're watching it very carefully and paying attention to it," said Griffith when asked in a conference call about what Activision thought of the player reaction against these changes and the 180,000-strong online petition.

He also claimed that the move to axe dedicated server support was one which would "improve the consumer experience overall by a significant margin", according to Kotaku.

"But we're not overly concerned about it...One of the problems with our PC SKUs in the past is that it has not been as friendly a consumer experience in terms of matchmaking and online play as the consoles have allowed it to be," he said.

Activision also reckons that the benefits of having a comparable system shared between PC and consoles, rather than having a seperate PC and console SKU, will far outweigh the negatives.

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

65 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
UncertainGod 6th November 2009, 14:04 Quote
Muppet, that is all.
Thedarkrage 6th November 2009, 14:06 Quote
bollocks!!
AngusW 6th November 2009, 14:06 Quote
Quote:

"But we're not overly concerned about it...One of the problems with our PC SKUs in the past is that it has not been as friendly a consumer experience in terms of matchmaking and online play as the consoles have allowed it to be," he said
So joining a game of randoms who will most likely be loud mouth kids p2p unmoderated would be more friendly then finding a good moderated friendly server?
wuyanxu 6th November 2009, 14:06 Quote
Quote:
One of the problems with our PC SKUs in the past is that it has not been as friendly a consumer experience in terms of matchmaking and online play as the consoles have allowed it to be
IW's solution: dumb down by making PC version a cheap console port?

yeah, that solves all the problems!
UrbanMarine 6th November 2009, 14:08 Quote
Console: The matchmaking system was a mess. Solo sure not a problem, but if your squad joined good luck getting everyone in on the first shot.
Goty 6th November 2009, 14:09 Quote
Note to clueless execs: "Friendly" does not mean "good". I'd like to think that the average PC gamer is slightly more intelligent than the average console gamer and can handle having to make more than one choice before getting to play with other people. Choices like, oh I don't know, who they'd like to play with.
will. 6th November 2009, 14:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncertainGod
Muppet, that is all.

Agreed...

I was fine with the matchmaking to be honest, but reducing the number of players down to 9 a side... What the hell. If I wanted to play a gimped version I'd get it on the consoles and play with the silly sticks.

And then the price! £34.99? How does that work? If that's to pay for another rap song I'll be irritated.

Anyway, my purchase is now going to have to wait for the bargin bin...
MajorTom 6th November 2009, 14:16 Quote
Well said Goty.
cjoyce1980 6th November 2009, 14:22 Quote
this is boring me now, either play it or don't....... simple!
xaser04 6th November 2009, 14:23 Quote
I was going to write a long winded post about how this is crap etc but tbh this sums up my opinion perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncertainGod
Muppet, that is all.
V3ctor 6th November 2009, 14:26 Quote
Just hope EA makes a good BF game... and don't make these bad decisions...
$plit 6th November 2009, 14:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoyce1980
this is boring me now, either play it or don't....... simple!

y not just quit reading the posts?? too hard for ya? this game is sounding more like a console port everytime i see an article on it...
Abhorsen 6th November 2009, 14:35 Quote
Only way it will improve it is if it eventually starts to open the door for cross-platform play.
rezolve 6th November 2009, 14:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by $plit
this game is sounding more like a console port everytime i see an article on it...

agreed, still can't believe the fact they've left out lean and dev console in the pc version... complete mess.
Ryun 6th November 2009, 14:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhorsen
Only way it will improve it is if it eventually starts to open the door for cross-platform play.

This. I wouldn't mind the change so much if this was the case and I'd probably actually buy it as my friends are probably going to get it on the 360. In it's current state it's just BS.
Krikkit 6th November 2009, 14:48 Quote
Console is gone too?! I don't care how good the SP is, MP was the heart and soul of MW; this is going to be a disaster.
pizan 6th November 2009, 14:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezolve
Quote:
Originally Posted by $plit
this game is sounding more like a console port everytime i see an article on it...

agreed, still can't believe the fact they've left out lean and dev console in the pc version... complete mess.

In the article i read on Ars, I think the guy pretty much admitted the only difference was keyboard support. There is also no console commands (think ~ in Valve games), no leaning (as in you lean over to see around a corner). Also if the host rage quits the game pauses for five seconds while switching to a new one.
[USRF]Obiwan 6th November 2009, 15:01 Quote
Quote:
"But we're not overly concerned about it...One of the problems with our PC SKUs in the past is that it has not been as friendly a consumer experience in terms of matchmaking and online play as the consoles have allowed it to be," he said.

Thats because console players are "lemmings" and do anything the game commands them to do or gratefully accepting the console limitations. PC users don't like being forced into a corner, they are bright loving exploring people that want to do all things what their PC's can offer them and if not they expand their horizons by adding some more hardware. Why? because PC users can!
Phil Rhodes 6th November 2009, 15:03 Quote
Quote:
friendly... consumer experience

It's amazing how many euphemisms there are for "console port", eh?
Otis1337 6th November 2009, 15:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit
Console is gone too?! I don't care how good the SP is, MP was the heart and soul of MW; this is going to be a disaster.

although the SP on cod4 was amazing, you will not play it more than 2 times at most. MP is like you say "the heart and soul" of this game, and their just shooting them selfs in the foot with this madness (madness?.... THIS IS SPARTER!)( sorry, had to be done :D)
alpaca 6th November 2009, 15:28 Quote
Quote:

Thats because console players are "lemmings" and do anything the game commands them to do or gratefully accepting the console limitations. PC users don't like being forced into a corner, they are bright loving exploring people that want to do all things what their PC's can offer them and if not they expand their horizons by adding some more hardware. Why? because PC users can!

let me point out that somebody's intelligence cannot be derived from the fact that he/she owns a console or a pc... and what about those who own both? they are only half-stupid? for the record, i'm a pc only gamer. in this logic that makes me a 'bright loving exploring horizonexpanding guy'. and yet i do not think console owners (i admit know a few of them, heresy!) are any more stupid or smart than i am...
but in the end, i do agree that MW is doing the wrong thing by tailoring the pc version to console limits....
Psytek 6th November 2009, 15:29 Quote
In other news, Hitler speaks out in defence of the holocaust, and people act as if he's unbiased.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF
Obiwan]
Thats because console players are "lemmings" and do anything the game commands them to do or gratefully accepting the console limitations. PC users don't like being forced into a corner, they are bright loving exploring people that want to do all things what their PC's can offer them and if not they expand their horizons by adding some more hardware. Why? because PC users can!

Console players aren't lemmings (I own all 3 consoles btw and a Gaming PC) its just that the majority of players of COD4 came to the series, on console, and at the time COD2 came out. So all they've ever known is the pared down online system on xbox 360, and more recently, PS3. If they had ever experience how much smoother it is to play on dedicated servers, they'd understand, but they haven't, so they don't, and you flame them, so they flame you, and everyone ends up hating each for basically no reason other than not understanding the other person's position.
Tyrmot 6th November 2009, 15:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis1337
(madness?.... THIS IS SPARTER!)( sorry, had to be done :D)

'Sparter'? dear oh dear....
fodder 6th November 2009, 15:45 Quote
Lol.

PC gamers spend a lot more on the hardware. In return they get a far more customisable experience, especially in online play. I can choose a Bolt action only for COD5, a no arty and claymore server for COD4 etc. Also, I can favourite these servers if I like them and the 'regulars'. No chance of that with IW.net.

If PC gamers really craved the matchmaking and hosting systems from consoles, they would spend less than £200 for an Xbox to play on. Far cheaper and ultimately much more plug and play. BUT they don't, that's one reason they spend MUCH more on the hardware and put up with the odd flaky bit of OS or Driver issue.

One last comment, in an interview IW stated that lean was removed as the game was no balanced for it. Now, I may be being thick here, but if every play can lean and take advantage of it, how is it unbalanced? There were more glaring idiocies in the interview, but that one sticks as I stopped reading at that point...
fodder 6th November 2009, 15:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by fodder
Lol.

PC gamers spend a lot more on the hardware. In return they get a far more customisable experience, especially in online play. I can choose a Bolt action only for COD5, a no arty and claymore server for COD4 etc. Also, I can favourite these servers if I like them and the 'regulars'. No chance of that with IW.net.

If PC gamers really craved the matchmaking and hosting systems from consoles, they would spend less than £200 for an Xbox to play on. Far cheaper and ultimately much more plug and play. BUT they don't, that's one reason they spend MUCH more on the hardware and put up with the odd flaky bit of OS or Driver issue.

One last comment, in an interview IW stated that lean was removed as the game was no balanced for it. Now, I may be being thick here, but if every player can lean and take advantage of it, how is it unbalanced? There were more glaring idiocies in the interview, but that one sticks as I stopped reading at that point...
fodder 6th November 2009, 15:46 Quote
Whoops! thought that was the edit button.
DarkLord7854 6th November 2009, 16:19 Quote
This is amusing.. I somehow fail to see how joining random servers and being abused verbally is more friendly than a moderated server.. but I've been wrong in the past, so who knows..


Thinking about it, it's going to be like a PC version of Halo3 matchmaking, lolerz, I can't wait to see this, shall prove entertaining.
aggies11 6th November 2009, 16:20 Quote
Ars Article (Great Summary): http://digg.com/d319C7A

Wow, it looks like PC version had a budget of promptly zero, requiring a direct port with no added features. It looks like PC gamers should be "happy that they even got mouse and keyboard support", so I can imagine Activision possibly even saying "Just make PC players use a 360 gamepad"....

Games have just gotten too expensive to develop, which castrates publishers and makes them fear any risk. When will we see more efficient (cheaper) development tools and development strategies? (As technology improves, shouldn't it get *cheaper* to get games, not more expensive?)
B1GBUD 6th November 2009, 16:44 Quote
What a tw4t.... PC's aren't meant to be easy, that's why children get to play with consoles and the real men (and women) play PC.
DarkLord7854 6th November 2009, 16:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggies11
Ars Article (Great Summary): http://digg.com/d319C7A

Now that, is funny. GG IW.
Darkefire 6th November 2009, 17:03 Quote
It's insane, they could have simply tossed together the same package they had with MW1 and pushed it out the door and everybody would have been happy. Why on Earth did they devote all this time and energy into making changes that apparently nobody wanted? This smacks of some 20-something executive coming in and saying "No, no, no, everybody's into this console gaming thing now, make the PC version just like it, it'll sell like hotcakes." Something tells me once the whole story comes out we're going to be hearing from some very disgruntled IW employees. Ah, well, I can't wait for the code to be into shreds by the hackers in their attempts to put back in the features we've come to know and love.
Woodspoon 6th November 2009, 18:45 Quote
I can see the future

1 day before release there will be a press statement saying the PC version will no longer support mouse or keyboard, because cutomers no longer demand this and it will make a more balanced, friendlyer consumer experience.

BIBLICAL FAIL!
Star*Dagger 6th November 2009, 18:49 Quote
"Activision also reckons that the benefits of having a comparable system shared between PC and consoles, rather than having a seperate PC and console SKU, will far outweigh the negatives."

This is the type of MBA suit that should be kept away from the PC Gaming industry. He is talking out of his aft thruster. The problem with MBAs is they think they can manage in any industry because they know how to due to their silly degree. Well as we can see in gaming this is not the case.

+1 on muppet comment.

Yours in Muppets should be on TV only,
Star*Dagger
Penfold 6th November 2009, 18:53 Quote
"According to Activision the decision to remove dedicated server support in MW2 PC was for the best.
Activision president Mike Griffith has spoken out in defence of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, saying that the controversial decisions made around the PC version of the game were made in order to benefit the consumer experience as much as possible. "

No No No No No... Wrong "utter arse gravy of the worst kind"

menu/multiplayer options/ 1, open sever/dedicated.
2, Matchplay server.

Problem solved everyone gets a choice .

I dont want to be forced into a server where everyone is the same skill lvl, how is that a benefit to anyone, oh and i dont want to have to read umpteen mother jokes from numpty's half my age!!.
Shichibukai 6th November 2009, 19:42 Quote
Well lets say 185000 people in the UK decide not to buy it

185000* the £55 it costs totals up to about a measly £10.2 mil

Obviously nothing to be overly concerned about here >.>
lewchenko 6th November 2009, 19:57 Quote
He speaketh a crock of sh** !

But I guess thats the best he can say really. Its not he can say the truth, which is they dont give a damn about PC gamers and now want to only spend the bare minimum porting a 360 game with as few changes as possible. This is consolification taken to a new level.

I personally will never know whether it is improved like he says or not.. Im not buying it on either PC or console now, and I encourage you all not to either... as its a bit costly for a single player only game! (MP = joke)
SNIPERMikeUK 6th November 2009, 20:32 Quote
This is a console game at heart, there are many better examples of games for PC?
I-E-D 6th November 2009, 20:47 Quote
DAaaamn.. We're not kids like the consoles.. They really have messed themselves up... Definately one that'll be pirated...
Blackie Chan 6th November 2009, 21:03 Quote
Yeah this is bull. I am going to pass this one completely.
gavomatic57 6th November 2009, 21:10 Quote
They're monitoring the situation closely, they say. So does that mean there is a good chance they'll hear their customers say "blow it out of your backside, Infinity Ward"???
tranc3 6th November 2009, 22:15 Quote
I'm not buying it now. I was going to. I was gonna ignore the things that were bad and try to enjoy the good.. but now im just egnoring this all together. good bye mw2.
azrael- 6th November 2009, 22:54 Quote
What's MW2?
ZERO <ibis> 6th November 2009, 23:04 Quote
So in other words they assume that the PC is really noting more than a glorified console...
1ad7 7th November 2009, 10:02 Quote
So we say we want dedicated servers, its what we like about PC gaming. They respond were all stupid and have no idea what we really want? I own a PS3, I buy 90% of my games on PC there's a reason for that... and I know why its because I like the multilayer experience better on PC.
They just keep kicking me... they think were stupid now.
fodder 7th November 2009, 10:51 Quote
I have been taking the approach of 'no MP worth anything, so only SP which should be ok, so torrent.'

However, reading the interview, I don't think I will even be doing that. For two reasons:-

1. It sounds like they have completely ignored the control system of keyboard and mouse and that we are lucky to have any buttons work at all. for example 'removing' lean (can't be arsed to put it in as difficult to incorporate in a console pad).

2. by pirating, I would actually support IW's claim that it is a good game and add to the 'everyones pirating our game as it's so good, but they will still have to buy it for MP', justifying the use of IW.net and making them think they have a good PC game and it was the correct route to take.

don't even pirate the game, let it fade into obscurity with the only note to it's death 'consult your customer or you will follow this demise'. Plenty of other games around. Oh, and if you can resist buying it for a console that would be great too :-)
NethLyn 7th November 2009, 11:07 Quote
To get ready for the game's launch Amazon zapped all those one-star reviews, still, 3 days to go - the community will have to aim for 200 after it goes on sale - I'm in the complete boycott camp here then again I didn't buy CoD 4 for over a year because of the price anyway.
g3n3tiX 7th November 2009, 13:05 Quote
gavomatic57 7th November 2009, 15:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by fodder


2. by pirating, I would actually support IW's claim that it is a good game and add to the 'everyones pirating our game as it's so good, but they will still have to buy it for MP', justifying the use of IW.net and making them think they have a good PC game and it was the correct route to take.

No, by pirating the game you give them even more reason to keep shafting PC gamers with lazy console ports. As a PC gaming community, by tolerating people in our midst who pirate we are just screwing ourselves. It is a shame the mods don't take a much harder line on it.
Yemerich 7th November 2009, 17:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3n3tiX
A table that speaks for itself :
http://www.canardpc.com/img/upload/unlink/18bf80add3231a510d5310385b1d1726_84130.png

If what this table say is true, I can foresee a HUGE fail. This is clearly a console port and it is very abusive considering its successfull past. Looks like Activision and IW are pushing their luck against the pc players.

Damn you money grabbers!
Burnin' 7th November 2009, 18:03 Quote
it's amazing.... i was waiting with mi fingers crossed but I'm now officially convinced... I will not buy this game! It's like IW wants to get rid of PC gamers. Every new article, every newsflash, every post i read uncovers a new "feature'' of MW2 that f*ks PC gamers up in the arsh!!!!!

The only reason I bought MW was because of the MP.... now that's gone! No dedicated servers, user mods and now player limit of 18/18!!!!!!!! This is just laziness!!!!!

[/QUOTE]

No, by pirating the game you give them even more reason to keep shafting PC gamers with lazy console ports. As a PC gaming community, by tolerating people in our midst who pirate we are just screwing ourselves. It is a shame the mods don't take a much harder line on it.[/QUOTE]

Dude, that damage has already been made! Specially now that A-hole Griffith has confirmed everything! The game will launch next week! All my hopes of this being an Activision / IW marketing tactic to create hype around the PC version have been thrashed!

I WILL TORRENT THE DAMN THING!!!!!! They had their chance! I have bought all CoD games so far for the PC and I have love them all! But now the want to screw me, and I will not take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to EA's BF:Bad Company 2.... a real multi-player game
knuck 7th November 2009, 20:12 Quote
I'm also tired of the fight but I'm even more tired of PR people saying these changes were made to enhance the experience... what the fck does that even mean ? Do they even know themselves ?

If you're going to crap on our heads at least have the decency not to laugh at us afterwards
Jipa 7th November 2009, 22:20 Quote
I never even bothered caring about the "PC-gaming is dying" prophecies, but this really opened my eyes. What the ****? For me CoD has been the best PC-FPS ever since it first came out, and now they essentially teabagged all the pc-gamers.
AWowzer 8th November 2009, 01:24 Quote
they are doing their best to destroy all the goodwill from call of duty 4. tomorrow the news will be they are releasing mw2 on floppy disk only "we feel having the customer install the game from 5000 floppies will enhance the user interaction experience"
AshT 8th November 2009, 12:52 Quote
Quote:
Activision president Mike Griffith has spoken out in defence of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, saying that the controversial decisions made around the PC version of the game were made in order to benefit the consumer experience as much as possible

And using Babelfish to translate this gives me the following:
Quote:
Reduce features, increase price, thereby rip-off the consumer
El Rando 8th November 2009, 13:57 Quote
Probably get shot for giving my opinion but meh.

I support Activision's decision. I just wanna play the game both single player and multi. I prefer the decrease in players cause it means I won't die as soon as I spawn, I don't care about the no dedicated servers and user content is usually lame (except for "Rats" on CoD2) but then again I do understand where everone else is coming from so I'm not against you.
This is probably due to my lack of knowledge on games cause I just play lots of them and don't really care what happens to them and I'm always open for new directions.
AshT 8th November 2009, 14:28 Quote
El Rando, respect due for your opinions, and having the balls to air them :P

I see the 1st and foremost problem as being the lack of a regular place to play. What I mean by this is that I enjoy gaming in one place with regular gamers, and this ALWAYS means a dedicated server. With the recent changes to PC MP gaming going the same way as consoles I see SOCIAL PC MP gaming going down the pan.

PC MP gaming has always been (to me) about settling in a dedicated server and becoming a regular, whether I decide to be vocal ("NEED BACKUP Now! ... pretty please"), noisy ("RAAARRRGH DIE DIE DIE BASTERDS"), bossy ("BACKUP FFS"), quiet (" ... ") .... however I play it, it's always about (using CSS as one eg. from many) 32 regular players, gaming together, knowing that it's going to be fun due to previous playing times.

PC MP = SOCIAL EXPERIENCE

CONSOLE MP = RANDOMNESS minus social

And thats just my personal view, please, no 360 or PS3 owners shoot me down either :P
Aracos 8th November 2009, 17:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggies11
Ars Article (Great Summary): http://digg.com/d319C7A

I just skimmed that and all I have to say is quote this
Quote:
Moriarte: Ignoring IW.net, is the PC version a direct port of the console version?

Mackey-IW: No, PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat in game, and graphics settings.

This is the amount of work that went into the PC version: you are given the ability to use a mouse, to use text chat, and to adjust graphical settings. Are your fears now put to rest?

I think that says everything that needed to be said, I mean comeon! PC has custom stuff like mouse control, text chat and graphic settings?! THEY MAKE PC GAMES PC GAMES! What is wrong with IW lately, seriously, I was never THAT fussed about the game to start with but now I can't even think of a reason to pirate the thing nevermind actually buy it, I mean what's the point? The whole lead up to the game just feels rotten to the core. I'd rather just pick up a copy of battlefield 2 or something and play that than this.
jonmcc33 8th November 2009, 18:20 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryun
This. I wouldn't mind the change so much if this was the case and I'd probably actually buy it as my friends are probably going to get it on the 360. In it's current state it's just BS.

I would mind it. I already get angry at the noob campers that annoy me on current Modern Warfare servers. Last thing I want is to mix it up with noob console gamers too.

I signed the petition and I will NOT be buying this game.

Battlefield 2 just got a nice 1.9GB patch that opened things up a little and that game is 4 years old. I think I'll add it to my mix of FPS games that I'll actually play.
skybarge 8th November 2009, 22:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-E-D
DAaaamn.. We're not kids like the consoles.. They really have messed themselves up... Definately one that'll be pirated...

Great comment, definitely makes companies like EA and Activision really think:
I know lets spend millions of dollars on PC games, so people can pirate them. It's your attitude that makes them spend less on PC games on more on Consoles...
Rkiver 8th November 2009, 22:36 Quote
Hmmm..

Modern Warfare 2, or Assassin's Creed 2 and Force Unleashed Sith Edition? I know where my money is going, and it's not on another bloody shooter.
Mithyx 8th November 2009, 22:51 Quote
I cancelled my pre-order and will only buy it when a few things get added/fixed.

1. Dedicated Servers - There's no reason why a PC game can't have dedicated servers. It's a middle finger to our face by IW that they're not adding it.
2. Player Count at 16!? - Probably a byproduct of the no dedicated servers thing.
3. Custom Content - How can allowing custom content be anything but a good thing. They're shooting themselves in the foot with that one. Again, probably a byproduct of not allowing dedicated servers.

Basically include at least the same features as CoD4... you're supposed to add to a game in the sequal, not gimp the damn thing.

Penfold was right. Something as simple as a menu option to change how you want to play multiplayer would make just about everybody happy.
Elton 9th November 2009, 04:23 Quote
Glad I never pre-ordered anything.
NoMod 9th November 2009, 09:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncertainGod
Muppet, that is all.

/thread
shanky887614 9th November 2009, 13:38 Quote
glad i didnt preorder this i think ill decrypt it and have a look at the code and the code of the previous call of duty and try to fix some things myself

you will eb suprized at how easy this stuff is to do if you wont to know more email me

can't stant this random server thing
i think ill stick to amercas army for a little while longer
casue at least it has dedicated dervers and you can host your own
Leetalex 11th November 2009, 07:45 Quote
****ING GAY!!!!!!!!!:(
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums