Eidos soon to reveal Thief 4?

Eidos soon to reveal Thief 4?

Eidos may be in a tricky situation financially, but that hasn't halted development of so-called secret projects.

Rumours are once again surfacing that Eidos is about to unveil its secret project in development at the Montreal studio as Thief 4.

The rumours were this time sparked off by some teaser text on the the Eidos Montreal site that claimed that the studio's second project (the first being Deus Ex 3) is soon to be revealed. Nothing particularly telling about that mind, but the phrase was written in the official Thief font.

Eidos hasn't yet confirmed or denied that the secret project will be Thief 4, but an Eidos Montreal job posting from this time last year did hint that a successful applicant would be set to work on an old Eidos franchise that began with a 'T'. That in itself narrowed the choice down to either Terracide or Thief.

If the rumours are correct then it won't be the first time that a fourth Thief game has secretly started development - a previous attempt at a modern remake failed to get off the ground a few years ago and was apparently very similar to Mirror's Edge, though DICE hadn't then started worth on that game.

While it's unclear whether Eidos Montreal will also attempt to give the Thief series a modern remake, it does seem likely given the dramatic ending to Thief: Deadly Shadows.

Would you be interested in checking out a modern take on the Thief series? Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

Yemerich 15th April 2009, 13:25 Quote
I hope you are right...
MajorTom 15th April 2009, 13:51 Quote
I am pretty excited right now. Must calm down a bit incase it's a cruel prank.
Kúsař 15th April 2009, 13:57 Quote
Does anyone know whether there are developers of original Thief working at EidosMontreal? There's no Garrett without Stephen Russel or Victoria without Terri Brosius, really great voiceactors...
[USRF]Obiwan 15th April 2009, 14:06 Quote
I know only one Thief game...

The guild of thieves
Mungler 15th April 2009, 14:18 Quote
modernised thief, it would have to be something special to live up to the episodes before it, even the bad ones!
The main complaint about mirrors edge was the lack of combat options, maybe mirror's edge with a bit of thief injected would be a great hit. I would certainly be interested. I loved thief and was equally enthralled with Mirrors edge (until I saw it being played).
Vode 15th April 2009, 14:27 Quote

Should be work.

This news comes at a fortuitous time, I just finished replaying Thief 2 two days ago (no luck getting Deadly Shadows happy on Win7 x64 for me though), I could do with some more sneaky action of that caliber - or as near to as I can get at least.
Gunsmith 15th April 2009, 15:56 Quote
i hope this is a joke, they're ruining DE3 and possibly Thief, what next? SS3?
Marc5002 15th April 2009, 18:14 Quote
Ah Eidos : One of the Oldest company I can think off in my Computer Game Iv played on a P2 & P3
CardJoe 15th April 2009, 18:25 Quote
Originally Posted by Gunsmith
i hope this is a joke, they're ruining DE3 and possibly Thief, what next? SS3?

System Shock 3 is owned by EA and is in development there, secretly.
naokaji 15th April 2009, 18:38 Quote
Link in first post is messed up, it leads to the SecuROM joins PC Gaming Alliance article.

Anyway, Thief 4 would rock, I just hope they won't f*** it up and make it a worthy successor.
Spreadie 20th April 2009, 12:04 Quote
I too hope we will see another Thief installment. Deadly Shadows was a favourite of mine. It had an incredible atmosphere, which I hope they can recreate.