Eidos Montreal making Thief 4?

Eidos Montreal making Thief 4?

Could Eidos Montreal be making a fourth Thief game? It seems likely!

This is still kind-of officially a rumour, but as far as we're concerned the fact that Eidos Montreal is developing a sequel to Thief: Deadly Shadows is all but certain.

The Montreal arm of the Thief publisher announced almost a week ago that it was recruiting developers to work on a new game it was designing. The advert was accompanied with the news that the first two games the studio will be working on are revivals of old franchises - one of which is definitely Deus Ex 3.. The job posting also hinted that the game in question began with a 'T'.

Looking back over Eidos' back catalogue then, it means that Eidos Montreal is either developing a new Terracide or Thief game. Rumours and inside information currently indicate it will be the latter.

The original Thief was released in 1998 and is often credited as marking the start of an entirely new genre; the stealth-em-up. Playing as an enigmatic master thief named Garrett, players used guile and subtlety to steal from the rich and give to themselves - all while becoming involved in the plots and machinations of various secret societies in a medieval steam-punk world. The series was worked on by a number of gaming figureheads, such as Harvey Smith and Warren Spector, and is its renowned for its incredibly scary level design.

While Thief: Deadly Shadows was the last game in the series and was released in 2004, the franchise still enjoys a strong fanbase, though the trilogy was bought to a clear finish at the end of the third game, making a sequel appear difficult.

Did you ever try your hand at any of the Thief games? Are you excited about a fourth title? Let us know in the forums.

KoenVdd 8th April 2008, 12:19 Quote
I actually wouldn't mind a Terracide sequel. Loved the original game (though only played it as a kid, so may very well have been a crap game, well, you know what they say: "never meet your childhood idols"). I just don't think there is much of a market for games like Terracide anymore.
WildThing 8th April 2008, 12:42 Quote
Sounds great! Overall I enjoyed Thief Deadly Shadows although the levels did feel a little small/cramped, just like in Deus Ex Invisible War. They used the same engine didn't they? Anyway, looking forward to this. :p
Leitchy 8th April 2008, 13:02 Quote
Thief was brilliant back in the day, and would love a modern twist put to it. There was nothing like crouching in the darkest shadow as guards were going by you. Moss Arrows anyone?
blackerthanblack 8th April 2008, 13:54 Quote
FantasticCan't wait
Still, the other games will supply my fix of of arrows till then (yes I do still play them).
UncertainGod 8th April 2008, 15:12 Quote
The Thief games are still to this day the most enjoyable series of games I have ever played, now if you will excuse me I think I shall re-install Deadly Shadows.
bboynitrous 8th April 2008, 15:57 Quote
I'd like to see it only if they retained some of the guys who made the original from Looking Glass like Ion Storm did for Deadly Shadows otherwise it won't be the same. I just hope they don't stray away too much from the first three. Deadly Shadows was seen like an outcast compared to the first two, but it was just like the other two and if anything, two was the outcast for it's unusual mechanical additions and theme I think. With that said, BRING ON THE SCREENIES!!!!
naokaji 8th April 2008, 16:10 Quote
from the sound of it it seems like its still pretty far away, but I sure would like to get a new Thief.
Carcarius 8th April 2008, 19:40 Quote
I loved the game but had a problem with my hard drive and unfortunately lost my saved games. I was 75% into the game and never got around to finishing it. Is there a site that I could go to that has saved games for Thief: Deadly Shadows?

I would definitely get the new game if it is realized.
knuck 8th April 2008, 20:52 Quote
you might as well start it over and enjoy it again :)

I am so proud to see that Montreal has a good reputation for gaming now :D It's also great to walk downtown and see the big ELECTRONIC ARTS brand name on a building :D
reflux 8th April 2008, 21:08 Quote
It's going to be consoled up and ripped apart, designed for people with Xbox joypads glued to their hands. I expect they'll ruin Deus Ex 3 as well. COD4 is the only good multi-format game I've ever played.
tylerpestell 9th April 2008, 02:58 Quote
I very much enjoyed the first two Thief games. I spent many hours trying to perfect my skills of stealth. I would really like to see where they are going to take the fourth one ... though I guess I need to play the third one as I have yet to play it. I guess I will go buy it .... later.
knuck 9th April 2008, 02:59 Quote
Originally Posted by reflux

I didn't think of that but it really is the most probable scenario
dylAndroid 9th April 2008, 07:38 Quote
Ever since the original Thief, I've wanted there to be a competitive multiplayer mode. Sneaking around, paying attention to sounds and shadows, ambush points, setting up traps with the environment for would-be assassins, would be terribly fun. NPCs and obstacles could optionally be in the game too, oblivious to the stealth war going on all around them, until one side tricks another into stumbling across a group of armed guards.
Spaceraver 9th April 2008, 07:48 Quote
As long as it has proper controls and does not get developed for a console but for PC and then ported.. Not the other way around.
pendragon 9th April 2008, 18:04 Quote
someday perhaps i'll actually finish the first Theif ... well, here's hoping if make a 4th sequel it's still good.
johnnyboy700 9th April 2008, 18:55 Quote
Oh man, Deus Ex 3 and Thief 4 at the same time, awesome! Unless of course they eviscerate it the way they did with DE2-IW!