NZXT G10 adapts all-in-one liquid coolers for GPU duty

NZXT G10 adapts all-in-one liquid coolers for GPU duty

The NZXT Kraken G10 cleverly allows for a CPU all-in-one sealed-loop liquid cooler to be connected to a GPU, with claims of impressive results.

NZXT has officially unveiled its Kraken G10 bracket, designed to allow the connection of a variety of all-in-one sealed-loop liquid cooling rigs to most common graphics cards.

With the graphics processor accounting for most of the power draw and heat output of a modern gaming rig, it seems strange to splash out on a quiet sealed-loop CPU cooler only to have the air-cooled GPU spinning up like a jet turbine every time a game is launched. Not everyone fancies the thought of a fully custom multi-device cooling loop, however, and it's that market segment - willing to spend the cash on water-cooling as long as it doesn't come with too much risk or complexity - NZXT has aimed the Kraken G10.

At its heart, the device is pretty simple: a bracket replaces the stock cooler, featuring a 92mm fan to air-cool the voltage regulator modules (VRM) portion of the card while a circular cut-out hovers over the GPU itself. It's this cut-out that provides the compatibility: simply poke one of a range of sealed-loop all-in-one coolers through the hole provided and it will make contact with the chip, turning a stock CPU cooler into a GPU cooler with no modification.

Available in white, black and red finishes, the bracket is claimed to be compatible with a wide range of graphics cards from the Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 right up to the GTX 780 and Titan and AMD's Radeon HD 5830 to the R9 290X - where it could see considerable interest from those curious as to how well the card can perform when separated from the somewhat inadequate stock cooler. Compatible sealed-loop water-coolers include NZXT's own Kraken X60 and Kraken X40 as well as the Corsair H50, H55, H90, H110, Antec Kuhler H20 series, Thermaltake Water 2.0 and Water 3.0 families, and Zalman's LQ-320, LQ-315 and LQ-310 coolers.

NZXT claims some impressive results from using the bracket: swapping the stock cooler on an Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 for the G10 bracket and Kraken X40 sealed-loop setup resulted in a drop in peak temperature from 80°C to just 45°C and in minimum temperature from 42°C to 27°C. Naturally, there's also a drop in noise levels - although NZXT hasn't provided figures there.

The company has launched the bracket, complete with bundled fan, in the US at $29.99 (around £18.43 excluding taxes) but has yet to detail UK pricing and availability. More information is available on the official website.

GaryP 27th November 2013, 12:59 Quote
Looks interesting.
Shirty 27th November 2013, 13:12 Quote
I want a version that allows me to mount a separate fan where the rad is in that picture (to keep memory & VRMs cool), and then allow me to mount the rad in the roof of my Prodigy to exhaust all of the real heat out of the case. Then they'll get my money.
Gareth Halfacree 27th November 2013, 13:17 Quote
Originally Posted by Shirty
That's exactly what this does. Reread the article. :p
Shirty 27th November 2013, 13:25 Quote
I think you mean *read* the article.

In typical forum fashion I just looked at the picture and then formed my own, erroneous conclusions. Consider me suitably shamed :o
Slayer the Unholy 27th November 2013, 13:41 Quote
looks like it just barely makes it a triple slot card. I suppose though if you are using more than 1 high end card you should just put out the extra money to build a custom loop.
stuartwood89 27th November 2013, 13:46 Quote
I'm pretty sure I've seen pretty much the same thing available on KustomPCs for ages now:

...and they have one for the square pump-top coolers:
greypilgers 27th November 2013, 15:15 Quote
I like this idea ALOT... I can see this catching on in a BIG way, too. I for one would definitely shell out for something like this, especially if those claimed temps are in any way accurate... Can we get a test from BT?
Tichinde 27th November 2013, 15:20 Quote
I'm sold on this.....need to find an AIO cooler to fit in my HTPC case now.....
PingCrosby 27th November 2013, 15:26 Quote
I'm going to have quite a few ' liquid coolers' myself tonight on the works xmas do
Almightyrastus 27th November 2013, 16:53 Quote
Wow, a 92mm fan, not heard about those for years. I remember when swapping one of those for the 60mm CPU heatsink fan most people were running marked you out as a proper badass.
Sgoaty 28th November 2013, 19:47 Quote
Looks good I bodged an antec AIO water cooler on to a GTX 470 a while back and it worked really well.
Vetalar 28th November 2013, 20:49 Quote
I like this idea for a few seconds :) Arctic hybrid costs a little bit more (thing+aio cooler) but one gets plenty of radiators for vrm and ram, cool external cover and pwm control from gfx...
Interesting idea but not for me. Add incompatibility with 79x0...

send from Deathstar via HAL9000