bit-tech.net

AMD drops Radeon HD prices

AMD drops Radeon HD prices

AMD's price cuts bring will help to keep the pressure on rival Nvidia, but is the Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition now overpriced by comparison?

AMD has announced a discount to three of its latest Graphics Core Next product lines, bringing the prices down in order to keep the pressure on long-time rival Nvidia.

Following the introduction of the AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition last month, AMD has dropped the suggested retail price of its standard Radeon HD 7970 boards to $429 in the US. The Radeon HD 7950, meanwhile, gets a similar price cut to $349. Both qualify for the company's 'Three for Free' promotion, providing buyers with three free games to show off the DirectX 11 capabilities of the boards.

At the lower end of the market, the AMD Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition also gets a price cut, with the suggested retail price dropping below $300 for the first time - albeit, at $299, only just. As before, the Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition comes bundled with a copy of DiRT Showdown while stocks last.

AMD's price cuts, which are already being reflected in the retail prices at on-the-ball outlets here in the UK, comes shortly after the company launched its Catalyst 12.7 drivers. With the new drivers installed, Radeon HD owners can expect significant performance boosts in popular games - including a claimed 30 per cent increase in framerate in Skyrim and Batman: Arkham City along with a 15 per cent boost in Shogun 2.

AMD's new pricing strategy for its boards makes perfect sense: with the recently-launched Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition sitting towards the top at $499, the vanilla Radeon HD 7970 needed a price cut in order for it to remain competitive. With a leaked BIOS promising to turn the vanilla board into a GHz Edition, however, AMD potentially risks cutting into its more profitable sales with the new price point.

Thus far, Nvidia hasn't given any indication that it is to follow suit with a price drop of its own.

24 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
dolphie 18th July 2012, 19:54 Quote
Great!! Just shows how good it is when there is competition in a market. Just a shame there isn't a third company pushing the envelope too. Someone needs to loan some money to Matrox or something :P
brave758 19th July 2012, 03:43 Quote
Nice a good card for a good price
law99 19th July 2012, 07:11 Quote
"MD's price cuts, will are already being reflected"

Quois?

Nice to know though... perhaps this signifies that the 660 ti is around the corner?
longweight 19th July 2012, 07:34 Quote
I can't see the original RRP for the cards in the article?
Gareth Halfacree 19th July 2012, 07:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight
I can't see the original RRP for the cards in the article?
See where it says "Related Articles?" See the entries for "Radeon HD 7xxx review?" Click there. Ta-da: not only do you get the original RRP in both the UK and the US, but you'll also find out whether it was considered a good deal at the time.
longweight 19th July 2012, 08:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
See where it says "Related Articles?" See the entries for "Radeon HD 7xxx review?" Click there. Ta-da: not only do you get the original RRP in both the UK and the US, but you'll also find out whether it was considered a good deal at the time.

I don't think that news articles should expect the reader to open up other articles to find information that would have made the original article much more informative. Why didn't you add something like "The original RRP of the 7xxx was £300, the drop to £299 doesn't offer much of a saving". Just seems lazy to me.

Oh look! A simple yet informative article explaining how much the prices had dropped!

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/16/amd-radeon-hd-price-drops/

You might as well have just had one line, "AMD drops prices, please do further reading to find out how much by".

Oh and that is a lovely tone of voice to adopt when explaining something to a reader.
Gareth Halfacree 19th July 2012, 09:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight
Oh and that is a lovely tone of voice to adopt when explaining something to a reader.
I apologise.
andrew8200m 19th July 2012, 09:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by law99
"MD's price cuts, will are already being reflected"

Quois?

Nice to know though... perhaps this signifies that the 660 ti is around the corner?

How would that work when the GTX 660 will be produced by nVidia and as such has no connecting ties with AMD what so ever?

Thats no different to saying Intel release 3770K (this GHz edition) and the 2600/2700K (this standard 7970) drop in price because the PileDriver XXXX that no one knows much about is being released.



Fact. AMD lost masses of market share, stuffed up the channel, flooding it with over stocks at high prices and as a direct result couldnt compete with nVidia.

Price drops were then thrown in to gain market share. NOT because an unconfirmed GTX 660 is supposedly around the corner.



Internets and speculation... Chinese whispers much.
Shirty 19th July 2012, 10:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew8200m
Internets and speculation... Chinese whispers much.

Aye ;)

Oh, and longweight chill out dude! Gareth's a nice chap, I didn't read his post as condescending at all - I read it as a compliment to the intelligence of readers of the site.

The joys of the Internet, where 85% of the meaning of a block of text is completely open to interpretation.
longweight 19th July 2012, 10:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirty
Aye ;)

Oh, and longweight chill out dude! Gareth's a nice chap, I didn't read his post as condescending at all - I read it as a compliment to the intelligence of readers of the site.

The joys of the Internet, where 85% of the meaning of a block of text is completely open to interpretation.

I am chilled out :) As you say things can be taken either way on the internet and you do have to be careful!
Gareth Halfacree 19th July 2012, 11:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight
I am chilled out :) As you say things can be taken either way on the internet and you do have to be careful!
This is very true - and my sarcastic streak tends to be worse before I've had my morning coffee, hence my apology. Also, you're right: I really should have put the original RRPs in the article. I left them out because I didn't have official UK post-reduction prices at the time, but for some reason it never occurred to me to just put the US RRPs in there instead!
Shirty 19th July 2012, 11:14 Quote
Well then, we all cool ;)
longweight 19th July 2012, 11:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
This is very true - and my sarcastic streak tends to be worse before I've had my morning coffee, hence my apology. Also, you're right: I really should have put the original RRPs in the article. I left them out because I didn't have official UK post-reduction prices at the time, but for some reason it never occurred to me to just put the US RRPs in there instead!

No worries!
Aracos 20th July 2012, 00:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Quote:
Originally Posted by longweight
I am chilled out :) As you say things can be taken either way on the internet and you do have to be careful!
This is very true - and my sarcastic streak tends to be worse before I've had my morning coffee, hence my apology. Also, you're right: I really should have put the original RRPs in the article. I left them out because I didn't have official UK post-reduction prices at the time, but for some reason it never occurred to me to just put the US RRPs in there instead!

I can't find them anywhere so lets assume they won't drop? T_T
decosse 20th July 2012, 13:20 Quote
[QUOTE=longweight]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree


Oh and that is a lovely tone of voice to adopt when explaining something to a reader.

You heard his voice in this article? Must have missed the link that played that, odd........ o.O

Merely read as where to find the information to me, hmmm.

Is it me or do some ppl just go looking for excuses to start an arguement?
MjFrosty 23rd July 2012, 14:49 Quote
lol! Since when did the internet become so easily offended.
Gareth Halfacree 23rd July 2012, 15:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by MjFrosty
lol! Since when did the internet become so easily offended.
Around the time it became prone to muck-stirring in the comment section, if you ask me. Mote, beam, yadda-yadda.
andrew8200m 23rd July 2012, 15:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Around the time it became prone to muck-stirring in the comment section, if you ask me. Mote, beam, yadda-yadda.

+ rep!!

Keep the sarky to the point blunt responses coming, make me chuckle some more :D
longweight 23rd July 2012, 15:41 Quote
Let's not stir this up again!
Harlequin 23rd July 2012, 15:43 Quote
then dont post in the thread then?
longweight 23rd July 2012, 15:44 Quote
I'm not the one that started it back up again and I'm not going to let people make comments about me without standing up for myself.
Harlequin 23rd July 2012, 15:45 Quote
so a news thread turns into a troll fest....

maybe dont reply then
Gareth Halfacree 23rd July 2012, 15:46 Quote
CHILDREN! If you don't start behaving RIGHT NOW, I'm turning this site around and there'll be NO CAPE CANAVERAL FOR ANYONE.
longweight 23rd July 2012, 15:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
so a news thread turns into a troll fest....

maybe dont reply then

Epic.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums