bit-tech.net

EVGA teases dual-socket LGA2011 SR-X

EVGA teases dual-socket LGA2011 SR-X

EVGA's teaser image reveals a production-ready design for its dual-processor SR-X, but the company is still silent on pricing.

EVGA has released a teaser image of its upcoming SR-X dual-socket LGA2011 motherboard, and while it's keeping launch details a secret the picture tells a story of its own.

Promising 'more details soon,' the company posted a teaser image of a production-status SR-X board complete with its final heatsink design to microblogging service Twitter to keep its fans assured that development continues apace.

The image shows that EVGA has, unsurprisingly, chosen to cover all voltage regulator modules (VRMs) in aggressive-looking heatsinks, while the chipset itself gets a surprisingly compact yet wide-area heatsink of its own to keep things cool during overclocking.

The picture reveals 12 memory slots, eight situated in two banks of four by the first processor socket and an additional two banks of two by the second, which suggests support for a total of 96GB of DDR3 memory for those that can afford it.

Seven PCI-Express 3.0 slots are included, all of which appear to be full 16x slots and which are known to include support for both Nvidia's SLI and AMD's CrossfireX multi-GPU capabilities. As is becoming increasingly common on high-end enthusiast boards, switches for disabling individual PCIe slots are provided for improved stability when overclocking. EVGA has also added voltage read points.

Designed for use with Intel's Sandy Bridge-EP Xeon processors, the board requires plenty of power. Both CPU sockets have an eight pin and a six pin power connector each, although two of these can be left disconnected if only a single CPU is used.

Additional features rounding out the board include six SATA and four SAS ports, two eSATA ports, six USB 3.0 ports, and dual gigabit Ethernet ports. EVGA has also previously confirmed that its EVBot tweaking tool will be fully supported by the board.

What EVGA isn't sharing, however, is potentially the most crucial point of all: the price. With buyers having to invest in the high-end server-oriented Sandy Bridge-EP Xeon series of chips in order to make use of the dual socket design, a system with the SR-X at its heart is unlikely to come cheap.

48 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
faugusztin 14th February 2012, 12:42 Quote
Teasing is a correct word. But the price will be insane, so nothing for most of us :D.
.//TuNdRa 14th February 2012, 12:53 Quote
That's gonna be a dual-power supply job. Especially if you're going to SLi upon that behemoth. Silverstone are gonna be happy, with people rocking two of their Strider 1.5Kw models just to run that thing.
RedFlames 14th February 2012, 13:47 Quote
... if you have to ask 'how much?' you won't be able to afford it and won't want to know the answer...
Tattysnuc 14th February 2012, 13:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by .//TuNdRa
That's gonna be a dual-power supply job. Especially if you're going to SLi upon that behemoth. Silverstone are gonna be happy, with people rocking two of their Strider 1.5Kw models just to run that thing.

eVGA were launching their own range of PSU's - now we can see why.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5379/evga-plans-to-enter-the-psu-market-with-the-nex-psu

Wonder how much more than the SR-2 this board will be.... I guess that'll depend on uptake and the price of the Asus model they are rumoured to be planning...
r3loaded 14th February 2012, 14:17 Quote
How overclockable will the Sandy Bridge EP Xeons be? This board will be kinda pointless unless you can get unlocked multis on those chips.
JCBeastie 14th February 2012, 14:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by .//TuNdRa
That's gonna be a dual-power supply job. Especially if you're going to SLi upon that behemoth. Silverstone are gonna be happy, with people rocking two of their Strider 1.5Kw models just to run that thing.

They're developing their own range of PSUs; the 'NEX' series, one of which is 1500w model I expect is designed for this board.
brutos 14th February 2012, 14:40 Quote
Who really uses these board in real world.
bulldogjeff 14th February 2012, 14:44 Quote
I have absolutely no need for some thing like this, but it doesn't stop me wanting one and the going for a full water cooling set up to for the hell of it. Thats if I have a lottery win of course.

Edit: Big lottery win...lol
Jim 14th February 2012, 15:11 Quote
Has the case situation improved at all? I know with the original SR-2 the range of suitable cases was pretty minimal, and the ones that you could used tended to look horrific. The only one I actually liked was a Mountain Mods job that was absolutely colossal.
HandMadeAndroid 14th February 2012, 15:37 Quote
£449
schmidtbag 14th February 2012, 16:26 Quote
this is probably one of the most unnecessary products of all time. its common to see server motherboards with multiple cpu sockets, and it makes sense why some admins would want that. but this is a gaming motherboard, and just 1 phenom II x6 is good enough to play every game at over 60fps (with the proper gpu setup). there is no practical use for this, especially considering that its difficult enough to find a computer that will take advantage of all threads that just 1 i7 would use.

the 1 awesome use i see this for is as a CUDA server. put 4 tesla GPUs in sli and something like 2 i7 980x and you've got one hell of a powerful multi-purpose server.
Tattysnuc 14th February 2012, 16:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
this is probably one of the most unnecessary products of all time. its common to see server motherboards with multiple cpu sockets, and it makes sense why some admins would want that. but this is a gaming motherboard, and just 1 phenom II x6 is good enough to play every game at over 60fps (with the proper gpu setup). there is no practical use for this, especially considering that its difficult enough to find a computer that will take advantage of all threads that just 1 i7 would use.

the 1 awesome use i see this for is as a CUDA server. put 4 tesla GPUs in sli and something like 2 i7 980x and you've got one hell of a powerful multi-purpose server.

... and folding....
RedFlames 14th February 2012, 16:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattysnuc
... and folding....

And 3d rendering... and video editing...
faugusztin 14th February 2012, 16:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
How overclockable will the Sandy Bridge EP Xeons be? This board will be kinda pointless unless you can get unlocked multis on those chips.

No OC. Xeons don't have overclocking. Look at Xeon E3 (Sandy Bridge) if you need an example.
Joey Propane 14th February 2012, 16:58 Quote
Price?




If you have to ask, you can't afford it...
schmidtbag 14th February 2012, 17:08 Quote
@ Tattysnuc and RedFlames

You are really willing to pay all of that to do folding? Also, you can't handle waiting a few more minutes for rendering or encoding?
.//TuNdRa 14th February 2012, 17:18 Quote
This is the epitome of Excess to Extreme. You don't need it ,but the Epeen extension you'll get from owning one will almost make it worth the extra two grand you'll drop on a system compared to an ordinary SB setup.
Unicorn 14th February 2012, 17:26 Quote
Actually, there are plenty of people who need it. Which is why I'm saving and selling off single CPU hardware to afford an SR-2 system at the moment. My main uses for a dual socket system will be video encoding and 3D rendering, and to a lesser extent, folding.
Tattysnuc 14th February 2012, 18:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
@ Tattysnuc and RedFlames

You are really willing to pay all of that to do folding? Also, you can't handle waiting a few more minutes for rendering or encoding?

Yes - sort of.

Personally, it'd be for my own high end gaming/folding and SQL server machine, but I'm not even going to consider it until AFTER Xmas, to let the market settle down, and then the next-next gen gpus come out. Ideally I'll be consolidating 2 machines into 1, in a custom desk build, but that's the dream... 12 months time might be a different reality. :)
Jack_Pepsi 14th February 2012, 18:19 Quote
Only thing I don't like about that board. The SATA ports.
trig 14th February 2012, 18:31 Quote
instead of buying a supermicro board that runs $2.5k to $4.5k, i can get this for $600 or so for the company i work for...should be sweet...
thetrashcanman 14th February 2012, 19:48 Quote
Gimme gimme gimme gimmie! I want them
To release this for god's sake and the Xeon's to go with it, I even have the PSU and Case all ready for it :D
Teelzebub 14th February 2012, 20:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by snootyjim
Has the case situation improved at all? I know with the original SR-2 the range of suitable cases was pretty minimal, and the ones that you could used tended to look horrific. The only one I actually liked was a Mountain Mods job that was absolutely colossal.

Yea my MM case could take it and I have the right mobo tray as well :D But it is big 24"x24"x24"
Unicorn 14th February 2012, 20:43 Quote
I liked coolermiester's SR2 stacker, if and when I get my hands on an SR2, that's what it'll be going in.
RedFlames 14th February 2012, 21:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
You are really willing to pay all of that to do folding? Also, you can't handle waiting a few more minutes for rendering or encoding?

would I spend it to shave a few minutes off a render... no... but if the difference was hours [as would be the case in a complex scene or animation], and/or it was the difference between hitting a deadline or not... then yes I'd consider it...
Fizzban 14th February 2012, 21:29 Quote
Oh baby... I.. my....fffzzzgKKvrttz!
we1shcake 14th February 2012, 22:05 Quote
im fairly set for this as ive got a 1250 w psu and a elysium, shame i just bought a r4e. though i probably couldnt afford this anyway :(
faugusztin 14th February 2012, 23:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by snootyjim
Has the case situation improved at all? I know with the original SR-2 the range of suitable cases was pretty minimal, and the ones that you could used tended to look horrific. The only one I actually liked was a Mountain Mods job that was absolutely colossal.


Antec P280, Lian Li ARMORSUIT PC-P80R, Lian Li PC-P80N, Lian Li PC-Z70 just to name a few.
debs3759 14th February 2012, 23:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by .//TuNdRa
That's gonna be a dual-power supply job. Especially if you're going to SLi upon that behemoth. Silverstone are gonna be happy, with people rocking two of their Strider 1.5Kw models just to run that thing.

I won't be buying a Strider PSU. 80 plus silver isn't that efficient when you are using over 2 KW spread over 2 PSUs. I will be going for a pair of 80 plus platinum PSUs (I haven't decided exactly which yet). Over the lifetime of the system, that extra 8-10% efficiency will more than pay for the cost :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
How overclockable will the Sandy Bridge EP Xeons be? This board will be kinda pointless unless you can get unlocked multis on those chips.

Nobody is really sure yet. Some people with ES chips have stated that hey couldn't be overclocked, by bclk or multiplier. Others have claimed they can change the bclk ratio. So until we see them in the wild we won't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutos
Who really uses these board in real world.

I will be using one. It'll serve two functions. First, it's an unusual setup for some extreme overclocking (I believe they can be overclocked, otherwise why would EVGA have put so much money into developing an overclockable board?). Second, it'll be a perfect folding machine, and will have the power to do anything else I ask of it.

I won't be building the system immediately on release, it'll take me a few months to buy the main parts, but I hope to have it up and running before the end of the summer (and by then there will be plenty of reports about which chips are good for overclocking).
mi1ez 14th February 2012, 23:17 Quote
How would the RAM work? one CPU gets quad core and one dual core?

And LOOK AT THE SIZE OF IT!
debs3759 14th February 2012, 23:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandMadeAndroid
£449

Is that what you expect it to cost? Do you have a link to back it up? It's significantly cheaper than I am expecting if that is the price :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtbag
@ Tattysnuc and RedFlames

You are really willing to pay all of that to do folding? Also, you can't handle waiting a few more minutes for rendering or encoding?

I'm willing to spend that much for folding. Well, sort of. It's my intention over the next couple of years to build a range of top end systems for most (all?) 64-bit x86 platforms (Intel and AMD). A lot of them will be purely for benching, but the fastest of them will be folding rigs :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by .//TuNdRa
This is the epitome of Excess to Extreme. You don't need it ,but the Epeen extension you'll get from owning one will almost make it worth the extra two grand you'll drop on a system compared to an ordinary SB setup.

LOL, I would sell my neighbours house to build a better folding farm! Not sure that the council would be too happy though :D
debs3759 14th February 2012, 23:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetrashcanman
Gimme gimme gimme gimmie! I want them
To release this for god's sake and the Xeon's to go with it, I even have the PSU and Case all ready for it :D

I have the case ready for it. Bought a Little Devil, although it's certainly not "Little" :)
debs3759 14th February 2012, 23:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez
How would the RAM work? one CPU gets quad core and one dual core?

And LOOK AT THE SIZE OF IT!

Both CPUs get quad-channel memory. CPU 0 gets two banks with 4 channels each, and CPU 1 gets 1 bank with 4 channels.

Who says computers have to get smaller every year? I've been looking at a Caselabs case that's big enough to sleep in (and fit 2 SR-X based systems with dozens of drives and more than enough rads for pretty much anyone). I might buy one for a later build :)
thetrashcanman 15th February 2012, 00:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by debs3759
I have the case ready for it. Bought a Little Devil, although it's certainly not "Little" :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by debs3759
Both CPUs get quad-channel memory. CPU 0 gets two banks with 4 channels each, and CPU 1 gets 1 bank with 4 channels.

Who says computers have to get smaller every year? I've been looking at a Caselabs case that's big enough to sleep in (and fit 2 SR-X based systems with dozens of drives and more than enough rads for pretty much anyone). I might buy one for a later build :)

Yup thats the case I have :D;) Although what is this Caselabs case you speak of? I love there cases.

I've got an Enermax Platimax as I know that it can pull WAYYYYYYYYYY more than what it says on the tin under load if need's be, the 1350W unit could pull 1700W for christs sake! While remaining within ATX spec of course :D

I've got the memory for it ready as well, 2 x 16Gb Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz kits :D I'm doing exactly the same as you debs and building myself like an ULTIMATE system, partially to obliterate Simon's score in Geekbench, but also to speed up my video rendering and 3d modelling work that I do ;)
Throbbi 15th February 2012, 00:57 Quote
Wow, that's an awesome looking bit of kit.

However I vote this thread be closed before Simon sees it! :p
.//TuNdRa 15th February 2012, 01:27 Quote
I think he's busy working out how much he'd have to work/sell his soul/himself to afford one. That said; He didn't go for an SR2 system when there were boards and chips available, might be he's content with the single-CPU performance crown.
Shayper09 15th February 2012, 11:36 Quote
The sheer amount of want for this is incredible....

However, I've just built a watercooled FT03 system with a M4G-Z Gen3, 2500k and a 580, so no point shelling out more money :(
Margo Baggins 15th February 2012, 17:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Pepsi
Only thing I don't like about that board. The SATA ports.

but it does have a SAS interface and two lovely well positioned sas ports - i would deffo use some fast SAS disks if I were to shell out for one of these.
thetrashcanman 15th February 2012, 17:20 Quote
Deb's the Caselabs case you where talking about, is that the TH10?

It looks fricking awesome. Not sure if I should change cases now for this build :?
thehippoz 15th February 2012, 19:23 Quote
yeah I'd love to get that setup home.. thing is I can afford something like this but my homeless flashbacks keep me from blowing any money.. still pick up pennies and everything xD

you could build a few rigs and have a lot better farm going if you build anyways.. but it's always cool to see the top end.. I know star will probably get it and looks like unicorn is saving up

off topic.. but Tattysnuc's name- is everyone else reading that as tattynutsacks? maybe it's just me
.//TuNdRa 15th February 2012, 20:18 Quote
It's just you...

I'd get it, then DICE it and benchmark the balls off it, just for the Geekbench scores. That's how much I want to win. Sadly pure greed doesn't fill my wallet with the money needed at the end of the day. Not Legal greed, at least.
thetrashcanman 16th February 2012, 00:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by .//TuNdRa
It's just you...

I'd get it, then DICE it and benchmark the balls off it, just for the Geekbench scores. That's how much I want to win. Sadly pure greed doesn't fill my wallet with the money needed at the end of the day. Not Legal greed, at least.

Glad someone else had the same thoughts that I did about one of these, I can't wait to obliterate TG's score in geekbench :D with two 8 core E5 2687W CPU's ;)
LordPyrinc 16th February 2012, 02:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz
off topic.. but Tattysnuc's name- is everyone else reading that as tattynutsacks? maybe it's just me

I keep seeing it that way too. It has something to do with the way brains can process letters out of sequence. Even though not all the letters are present, there is enough of them scrambled in to trick the brain into making a sense of the jumbled letters.

htis si hyw mose pleope acn drea tsih netences...

even at a fairly normal pace.
thetrashcanman 16th February 2012, 05:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc
htis si hyw mose pleope acn drea tsih netences...

even at a fairly normal pace.

Don't be ridiculous no they can't:D
Bakes 16th February 2012, 20:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3loaded
How overclockable will the Sandy Bridge EP Xeons be? This board will be kinda pointless unless you can get unlocked multis on those chips.

No OC. Xeons don't have overclocking. Look at Xeon E3 (Sandy Bridge) if you need an example.

They don't have overclocking because the manufacturers don't make overclocking boards for them.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00537/

That runs 1366 Xeons.
faugusztin 16th February 2012, 22:32 Quote
Well, good luck finding LGA 2011 Xeon with unlocked multiplier. Oh wait, you can't find one, there is none and will be none, if Intel continues what they do with the LGA 1155 Xeons.

Sure, you can do a limited overclock with the changing the base clock like you do with X79, but that is about it. The primary issue is that you won't have unlocked multipliers, and that means you will be very, very limited in overclocking, which will pretty much equal to no OC.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums