Marvell to launch free Hybrid SSD/HDD update

Marvell to launch free Hybrid SSD/HDD update

Marvell's Hybrid SSD-HDD software, called HyperHDD, will update the 88E9218 chipset on many motherboards for free later this year.

Marvell is set to offer a free update, dubbed HyperHDD, to motherboards that use its 88E9128 SATA 6Gbps chipset, enabling the use of a SSD and hard disk together in two hybrid modes.

Plugging the two into both the Marvell SATA ports and using the Marvell storage software in Windows, it can create a Hybrid drive that merges the SSD and hard drive into one large single disk of combined space, but with the 'performance of an SSD'.

Marvell claims its software intelligently measure which data is used the most often: such as OS files and regularly used programs, and puts that on the SSD drive, making the system faster. The other data used less often is placed on the hard drive, to make use of the much larger storage capacity.

There's also a second mode too: Marvell has included a "safety" option as well, where the entire contents of the SSD are "backed up" onto the hard drive when the system goes into an idle state. It's like an asynchronous RAID 1 option to protect your data, because Marvell says that users don't trust NAND's lifespan, although it still focuses on using the SSD for everyday performance.

The system is very similar to Silverstones Hybrid SSD mounting kit, but the Marvell chip supports the fastest SATA 6Gbps SSDs (of which its own SSD controller chip is the only 6Gbps on the market currently available) and has been already included on many motherboards making this free update a very valuable value-add indeed!

Do you have a Marvell 88E9128 chip on your motherboard and will you be using the free update later this year? Let us know, in the forums!

Marvell to launch free Hybrid SSD/HDD update Marvell to launch Hybrid SDD/HDD chipset
Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Bonzo45 18th June 2010, 11:29 Quote
Should "Marvell to launch free Hybrid SDD/HDD update" be "Marvell to launch free Hybrid SSD/HDD update"

Don't think I have a chip like this or the cash for an SSD, but it looks like a good idea as if you have an SSD chances are you have a larger Hard Disk as well.
rickysio 18th June 2010, 11:30 Quote
Bravo for Marvell.
Phalanx 18th June 2010, 11:52 Quote
Good idea! Now let's see the other companies do the same!
[USRF]Obiwan 18th June 2010, 11:56 Quote
Nice for users with a Marvell sata powered motherboard
Guinevere 18th June 2010, 12:20 Quote
What about Trim support? Does Windows 7 still see the SSD for what it is? I suspect not, so I assume native OS Trim support is lost?
Farfalho 18th June 2010, 16:25 Quote
Great idea but as Guinevere said, will it still support TRIM?
Simnol 18th June 2010, 22:11 Quote
I'd like to see more things made hybrid... humans and the internet for example...
Krayzie_B.o.n.e. 19th June 2010, 17:52 Quote
Originally Posted by Simnol

How about a hybrid of Humans and intelligence. When I leave my house or my small circle of friends and wonder through the public I feel like I'm playing Left 4 Dead as the general public is a bunch of mindless Zombies.
memeroot 21st June 2010, 07:54 Quote
Wonder if an intermediate card could also be released
robots 21st June 2010, 18:37 Quote
Interesting, but I think I would rather take control of my own drives... Rather than having the drive determine what I use the most, I'd rather just put all the stuff I KNOW I use the most on a SSD and all the other stuff on a 1 or 2 tb normal disk.

If this works out cheaper than buying both though, then it may be something I'd consider.
LightningPete 21st June 2010, 20:33 Quote
great idea. As long as it says what it says on the tin, then every person will be looking for marvell based products rather than which has the most heatsinks and usb3 ports :)