bit-gamer.net

Bethesda: Used games a concern

Bethesda: Used games a concern

Released at the end of 2011, Skyrim has had three expansions to help stave off being traded in and has been a great success for Bethesda.

The second hand games market is something for the industry to be concerned about according to Bethesda vice-president of public relations and marketing Peter Hines.

Talking to Destructoid, Hines suggested that nobody has quite worked out a solution that keeps developers and publishers happy with used game sales but that the used game market is completely understandable because people are always looking for ways to keep gaming affordable.

These comments follow unqualified rumours that the next Xbox will require a constant internet connection in an attempt to combat the used game market and older rumours that the Playstation 4 might attempt to do the same, a move that has been widely acknowledged by industry commentators as commercially unwise.

One of the popular assumptions that a lot of publishers and developers make is that the issue of used games means that single player gaming is dead and just going to fuel the second hand gaming market once an initial customer cashes in the title. With recent success stories like Dishonored and Skyrim under its belt, Bethesda obviously disagrees.

'Single-player games aren't going anywhere,' said Hines. 'Skyrim was a complete success. A single-player RPG. There's practically a cottage industry dedicated to talking about how that isn't possible or why that won't succeed.'

'No publisher or developer making single-player games ever comes out and says single-player games won't work. Guys that do mobile games predict that console gaming as we know it is dying. People that do console-only games proclaim that PC is dead,' added Hines. 'Funny how people don't predict failure for the thing it is they're making or doing.'

Whilst this is a good point and backed up by the fact that Bethesda has seen regular success from the single player market, it is worth revisiting that Hines is vice-president of marketing and public relations and would be unlikely to say anything to the contrary.

One of the tactics that Bethesda has used to great success is to work on additional DLC and expansions. The Knife of Dunwall DLC was released for Dishonored this week and Skyrim has seen the release of three official expansions since its initial 2011 debut and has encouraged a vibrant modding community to continue adding extra content to the game.

14 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
themassau 17th April 2013, 10:09 Quote
there games are really good and as you say, the modding community makes the difference between pc and consoles. just like cod 4 + some mods was fun bet the newer cods don't have these feature so i stopped buying it. they even learn from the modding because if they see wich mod is downloaded a lot they can put it in the next game.i still like single player because you can change the world. while the multiplayer is mostly do the same thing over and over again without any changes in the game-world.
Xir 17th April 2013, 11:10 Quote
I can only speak for the WII as a console, used games aren't really a lot cheaper.
-10% for a used game isn't worth it for me.

For the PC, used games, hmmm, I'm personally so far behind that I pick up my games on sale anyway.
JCBeastie 17th April 2013, 11:35 Quote
In other news Mr Kipling has announced that they are exceedingly worried about the growing phenomenon of cake sharing, They claim that cakes cannot possibly survive if the practice continues and they are seeking ways to ensure that everybody who enjoys a slice pays their dues.
XXAOSICXX 17th April 2013, 11:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBeastie
In other news Mr Kipling has announced that they are exceedingly worried about the growing phenomenon of cake sharing, They claim that cakes cannot possibly survive if the practice continues and they are seeking ways to ensure that everybody who enjoys a slice pays their dues.

I just LOL'd quite hard at that. In a meeting. ^.^
damien c 17th April 2013, 13:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBeastie
In other news Mr Kipling has announced that they are exceedingly worried about the growing phenomenon of cake sharing, They claim that cakes cannot possibly survive if the practice continues and they are seeking ways to ensure that everybody who enjoys a slice pays their dues.


That made me laugh so much that my sides are hurting ;)
Shirty 17th April 2013, 14:40 Quote
JCBeastie is winning this particular comments thread.
sethlite 17th April 2013, 16:30 Quote
Solution: 1) Reduce initial cost of games to encourage more gamers to buy at or close to release. 2) Make significant discounts to older games. To encourage new purchases, rather than used. 3) Make games worth the $50-60 that is being asked.
Sloth 17th April 2013, 20:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
I can only speak for the WII as a console, used games aren't really a lot cheaper.
-10% for a used game isn't worth it for me.

For the PC, used games, hmmm, I'm personally so far behind that I pick up my games on sale anyway.
I can't help but think this is a major part of why second hand sales might have less of an effect. The whole second hand market is changing, retail shops aren't giving the return value or discounts for used games that buyers expect.

Last time I looked at Skyrim in a brick and mortar shop was in January and it was $55 new, $50 used. When you're already putting out just shy of release price for a year old game what's $5 more?
Nikumba 18th April 2013, 10:38 Quote
On the PC side of things with the way DLC is going, wouldn't surprise me if they released the game but then you needed to buy DLC to complete the game, a total crap way of doing it, but I think the newest Tiger Woods game from what I have heard you can not complete the pro tour side without all the courses which you need to buy as DLC.
Glix 18th April 2013, 14:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikumba
On the PC side of things with the way DLC is going, wouldn't surprise me if they released the game but then you needed to buy DLC to complete the game, a total crap way of doing it, but I think the newest Tiger Woods game from what I have heard you can not complete the pro tour side without all the courses which you need to buy as DLC.

You can buy used PC games? Since when? ;)

This PR guy is simply sounding off that the consoles should use DRM like PC has to stop the 2nd hand market, a bit pathetic as it is definitely not the reason why PC games are still profitable.

Obviously no one wants to admit piracy is the reason for games failing to sell on consoles as that would have various repercussions, so blaming 2nd hand sales is the easier target and JCBeastie is spot on with that logic.
rollo 18th April 2013, 15:16 Quote
PC games and used games dont go together and have not done so since 2000 ish its been at least a decade since ive seen a used pc game for sale in a shop.

Shops were hit hard by CD key abuse so stopped taking them in.
Roskoken 18th April 2013, 16:10 Quote
"Single-player games aren't going anywhere,"

said Hines.

"Skyrim was a complete success"

What???
Glix 19th April 2013, 15:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskoken
"Single-player games aren't going anywhere,"

said Hines.

"Skyrim was a complete success"

What???

I believe he means in a 'here to stay' kind of way, not that they are failing.
woody_294 19th April 2013, 16:12 Quote
I'm amused that they think that the people who buy the second hand games are all just going to rush out and buy full price ones if they manage to kill the market somehow. If they kill a perfectly legal market by making customers jump through hoops they're only going to make people more inclined to find another way to get it and they don't realistically have a chance at killing piracy. So why annoy people more?
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums