Tribes Ascend launching single payment option

Tribes Ascend launching single payment option

Launching last year, Tribes Ascend's micro-transaction is seen as fair and balanced by the community.

Free-to-play shooter Tribes Ascend is planning to launch a single payment option for the game.

Launched last year, the popular online first person shooter from Hi-Rez Studios currently favours a micro-transactions model whereby players can pay to unlock items and classes faster than they would though simply playing.

The single purchase option will launch at the end of this week on February 15 alongside an upcoming content patch. It will unlock all of the classes, weapons and perks available.

The only thing not unlocked by the single payment will be non-gameplay affecting items that just change how a character looks.

'We'll price it in the ballpark of other PC multiplayer shooters,' said Hi-Rez Studios chief operating officer Todd Harris. The payment option has been introduced due to several requests from the game's community.

Current VIP Tribes players that have already paid towards the game will also receive a discount to the single payment option. Harris also stresses that nothing will change for the game's free-to-play player-base and the additional maps that will arrive with the new content patch will still be accessible to all.

Tribes Ascend launched in April 2012 and is held as a gold standard for all free-to-play titles, treading that careful balance between free-to-play and pay-to-win style micro-transaction models.

Clocking up several review scores in the region of 8-10 out of 10 from reputable outlets, it has been seen as a welcome revival of the original Tribes series popular in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Griffter 14th February 2013, 08:26 Quote
several requests so they change their business model???? oh plssssssssssss, dont talk BS to my ears!!!!
specofdust 14th February 2013, 08:31 Quote
Indeed, sounds like nonsense to me. To unlock everything beforehand cost $100 USD or so, but who would do that? Who wants all the fancy engie weapons when they're a sniper?

I'd guess this will raise the average expenditure by the folks who want all the special stuff, increasing profits, at least in the short term.
kingred 14th February 2013, 11:00 Quote
Is Cashshop: Acsencd still going? It kinda died for me when they introduced p2w weapons.
mdshann 14th February 2013, 19:26 Quote
It died for me when I found out it wasn't fun.
LordPyrinc 15th February 2013, 08:32 Quote
I never really understood the paying real world money for better gear/experience/etc in a game. What's the point of playing the game then? I've always looked at paying money to gain an advantage in a game as equivalent to using exploits, cheat codes, or trainers.
schmidtbag 15th February 2013, 19:02 Quote
Originally Posted by LordPyrinc

I couldn't agree more, I find the free-to-play games of the most boring and least rewarding games I've ever played. If you don't pay anything, you're always going to be the worst player, but spend $10 and you can end up winning every match, even if you have no skills. The games are horribly unbalanced and there's no motivation to keep playing.

That's not to say that I dislike games with no achievement or reward system, because 2 of my favorite games are UT2004 and Flatout 2, where online there are no leaderboards or awards. The difference with those games is you already have access to everything from the beginning, with the exception of a small handful of powerful vehicles/characters that you either need to earn or cheat to get.

Then you can look at the other extreme where by default everyone starts out with everything, including things that are basically cheats. An example of this is Saints Row 3. I never bought the game, because I knew it would lose its fun value within a couple weeks.