Valve asks for Steam for Linux testers

Valve asks for Steam for Linux testers

Valve's Steam for Linux beta is open now, but there are just 1,000 places available for 'experienced Linux users.'

True to its word, Valve has opened up its efforts to port the Steam digital distribution client to Linux users - but only in a very limited manner.

The company has issued a request for users eager to try out the Steam service under Canonical's Ubuntu Linux distribution, but is keeping the project small for now with only 1,000 places available for eager gamers. Valve has claimed to be 'primarily interested in experienced Linux users' to fill the positions.

Those lucky enough to get through the survey and be offered a spot on the beta will be provided with a copy of the work-in-progress Steam Linux client. This provides all the functionality of the Windows and OS X Steam clients, including the ability to purchase and download titles, track progress and communicate with friends, but tailored specifically for the open-source Linux platform.

Previously, those who wanted to use Steam under Linux were forced to use the wine (wine is not an emulator) compatibility layer to run the Windows version of the software. While that's one method, it's not ideal - and frequently led to bugs and crashes. Valve's native client, meanwhile, should run perfectly in Linux without performance-sapping compatibility shims.

The opening of the beta comes as Valve expresses considerable interest in Linux as a platform for gaming, working on porting its own titles to the system and boasting of significant performance improvements in doing so. With Valve boss Gabe Newell vocal in his dislike for Microsoft's recently-released Windows 8, and rumours of a 'Valve Box' hardware project spreading, the day may yet come when 'cross-platform' means Linux support as well.

If you want to try your luck at getting into the Steam for Linux beta, here's the survey.

GuilleAcoustic 29th October 2012, 11:11 Quote
Survey filled :D ... hope I'll be lucky on this one.
lp rob1 29th October 2012, 11:14 Quote
Done. Now we wait.
Icy EyeG 29th October 2012, 18:51 Quote
I do hope that Steam for Ubuntu is here to stay, since it will help boosting Linux adoption. On a side note, Canonical is really into making Ubuntu a viable gaming platform, IMO, which includes faster graphics cards drivers updates: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/10/canonical-work-to-improve-gaming-on-ubuntu
wafflesomd 29th October 2012, 20:37 Quote
Sweet. Eager to see how it goes. Though I'm not sure I agree with valves statement that Linux is a more viable platform than windows 8. I might believe that in a few years when drivers aren't terrible and developers actually adopt linux.

Can't say steam on linux is going to make rush to linux.
AmEv 30th October 2012, 02:08 Quote
I signed up yesterday(-ish). So, here's hoping for the best.

Am I expecting a mad rush to Linux? Heck no.

Will this increase the competition between Microsoft, Apple, and Linux? Yah...!
AmEv 30th October 2012, 02:08 Quote
Double-post:(
SexyHyde 30th October 2012, 02:15 Quote
gonna sit this out, way more useful people to try it then me. if only i never had a job, woman and two kids! hopefully the next beta wave will be fully open.
Gaming_freak_10 30th October 2012, 02:27 Quote
Doneski! Now I wait :)
Andy Mc 30th October 2012, 07:43 Quote
Awesome!
YellowApple 30th October 2012, 14:38 Quote
I filled out the survey yesterday. I'd be stoked if I get in; I was in the World of Goo Linux beta tests, too, way back when; that was fun.
Originally Posted by wafflesomd

Can't say steam on linux is going to make rush to linux.

I agree with his statement completely. Linux is a great operating system, and it's nice to have the maker of great games realizing that and bringing those games.
GuilleAcoustic 2nd November 2012, 09:36 Quote
I trully love Linux, but I do not think it'll attracts more users. I'm just dying to see real support from game developpers.
Jay88018 2nd November 2012, 10:51 Quote
Once this has full support from gaming firms, i can see Linux taking off. For many people its just the lack of support, or how complicated it is to get games running, instead of the ease of window installers. I for 1 would love to give it a go, but im not savvy enough, and i know id spend more time asking for help than gaming :D But anything that gives us more choice is good.
Anfield 2nd November 2012, 16:14 Quote
Good to see Valve follow their plan and support Linux, sure it won't turn Linux into the predominant OS for gamers just like Blizzard releasing Warcraft for Mac didn't turn the Mac into every gamers wet dream, but adding choice in time where PCs are becoming more and more closed is certainly a great move from Valve, plus it adds some incentive for others to follow the example.