bit-gamer.net

Nintendo: 'Hardcore gamers will accept Wii U'

Nintendo: 'Hardcore gamers will accept Wii U'

Nintendo is adamant that hardcore gamers will accept the Wii U and has hyped HD capabilities.

Nintendo has remained adamant that hardcore gamers will accept the Wii U as a core console in response to tough shareholder questions today, as reported by Andiasang.

'Wii was not accepted by core gamers because they did not want to abandon their preferred control approach,' said Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata.

'Additionally, Wii did not use HD because HD cost performance at the time was low. Wii U makes it easier to use conventional controls. Also, the Wii U controller is not as big or heavy as it looks.'

Nintendo's share price dropped to a five year low following investor disappointment in Nintendo's Wii U unveiling, but the company has hit back by saying that user reaction has been very positive.

'The majority of the overseas media offered congratulations,' said Satoru Iwata. 'The reaction differed greatly between those who covered the product at the show and those who just covered it online. In other words, the point is how Nintendo can convey the value of the product.'

Let us know your thoughts on the Wii U in the forums.

53 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
guvnar 30th June 2011, 12:11 Quote
wii'll see...
Xir 30th June 2011, 12:14 Quote
as long as they STILL haven't managed to release a set with controllers for two players... Meh!
Silver51 30th June 2011, 12:22 Quote
So it's a Wii with essentially a DS controller for your TV. I think I'd like to see one in real life before making a judgement. The main thing that let the Wii down was the lack of mainstream games, so I'd hope with the extra processing power, they'd rectify this.

Also:
0JElywbkSbY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JElywbkSbY
chrismarkham1982 30th June 2011, 12:22 Quote
i wouldnt consider my-self a haed-core gamer but im not a recreational gamer either, im serious about my gaming to a certain degree but even i wouldnt want a nintendo wii u, ive got my xbox for motion control games and for my halo games and forza and such thats as recreational as i t gets.
Hypno 30th June 2011, 12:30 Quote
The Wii was terrible. I've only played it with my family at xmas etc.. Its a kids platform Nintendo accept it.
Cei 30th June 2011, 12:32 Quote
The got a positive media response because for some bizarre reason, most of the gaming media are Nintendo fanboys/girls. Seriously, giving 10/10 to Ocarina of Time, which is simply a remake of an old game?
Mentai 30th June 2011, 12:34 Quote
This comes the same day as Nintendo gives the middle finger to hardcore gamers regarding the localisation of three major JRPGs for Wii, two of which are already being dubbed in English.

"Thank you for your enthusiasm. We promised an update, so here it is. We never say “never,” but we can confirm that there are no plans to bring these three games to the Americas at this time. Thanks so much for your passion, and for being such great fans!"

All this talk of getting back to the hardcore when they can't even localise a couple of games thousands of people have pestered them about. They seem to think that telling gamers what they want (more Mario!) instead of giving them what they ask for is treating fans with respect. Piss off Nintendo, 3rd party publishers have been outshining you for years.
Gigglebyte 30th June 2011, 12:47 Quote
I think that other hardcore gamers will agree with me that HD isn't everything for consoles, especially when they sacrifice actualy gameplay and replay value to up their visuals.
The only time I use a Wii is at a LAN where we play 8 player bomberman for a while, that can he hilarious but that is it for the Wii and me. I don't see how the Wiiewe will change that.
tristanperry 30th June 2011, 12:54 Quote
Hardcore gamers won't 'accept'/use it. It'll sell well regardless.
faugusztin 30th June 2011, 12:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglebyte
I think that other hardcore gamers will agree with me that HD isn't everything for consoles, especially when they sacrifice actualy gameplay and replay value to up their visuals.

Hardcore gamers don't play on consoles.
StoneyMahoney 30th June 2011, 13:12 Quote
Why pander to hardcore gamers, Nintendo? Anyone I ever met who self applied that term was an obnoxious bigot whose only gaming interests were MMORPGs and FPSs, live off someone else's money and have an elitist streak wider than the Tory party. Don't placate these idiots, scare them away! Oh wait, you already did. Cool! Now go back to your office and make sure Pikmin 3 rocks.
Yemerich 30th June 2011, 13:15 Quote
Console is NEVER for hardcore gamers.

Anyway, this console looks promising and inovative. I really don't understand why people see it so negatively.
shigllgetcha 30th June 2011, 13:26 Quote
the usual bit tech pc elitism is alive I see
Woodspoon 30th June 2011, 14:17 Quote
I think the problem here is, that Nintendo has no clue as to who these "hardcore gamers" are that it's aiming at and what they want.
Even within the gaming community determining who or what constitutes a "hardcore gamer" is a much debated subject so it's unlikely that Nintendo are going to have a clue as to what it is.

I've said it before, Nintendo branded themselves the kings of casual gaming with the Wii which destroyed them as a serious platform.
itrush07 30th June 2011, 14:21 Quote
Who knows right? Let's just wait and see how this thing will materialize..
SlowMotionSuicide 30th June 2011, 14:24 Quote
So...

"Imma hardcore, and I use a Wii."


I didn't think so either.
Aracos 30th June 2011, 15:20 Quote
Yep, this is a PC dominated forum so I expected some "console gamers aren't hardcore". Do we really have to be at war with console users? CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?!
faugusztin 30th June 2011, 16:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm20200
Yep, this is a PC dominated forum so I expected some "console gamers aren't hardcore". Do we really have to be at war with console users? CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?!

I accept consoles - for sport and racing games (and Kinnect). The rest is a joke. First person shooter or realtime strategy on console ? Don't make me laugh. I don't care for the platform itself, but when the whole genre on a platform has autoaim built in because otherwise you wouldn't be able to shoot anyone in FPS, then there is something wrong with it and you cannot label it "hardcore" anymore.
Angel OD 30th June 2011, 17:02 Quote
I still think about how I can watercool it..
Snips 30th June 2011, 17:32 Quote
Another fantastic product from Nintendo that will make billions. Who cares what the so called hardcore console gamers think. They'll still buy one.
sub routine 30th June 2011, 17:51 Quote
consoles have their place, hardcore gamers play everything imo. Can`t wait to see the U.
kzinti1 30th June 2011, 17:58 Quote
It's a really dull day when all Bit-Tech can do is set up a pc/console flame war.
3lusive 30th June 2011, 18:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin
I accept consoles - for sport and racing games (and Kinnect). The rest is a joke. First person shooter or realtime strategy on console ? Don't make me laugh. I don't care for the platform itself, but when the whole genre on a platform has autoaim built in because otherwise you wouldn't be able to shoot anyone in FPS, then there is something wrong with it and you cannot label it "hardcore" anymore.

Thats just ridiculous. The fact that there's some element of aim-assist in FPS games on consoles (because of the nature of the analogue sticks) doesn't mean there's no skill in shooting or that it makes the experience any less "hardcore". There's still a huge spectrum of people with terrible aim, and others with pinpoint accuracy; ie just like the pc with a keyboard and mouse. The controller works fine, I use one everyday and have countless hours spent on Cod on Live to know that it's a good experience if you play with the right people and in the right lobbies. FPS games can run absolutely fine on consoles with a controller, whether thats the single player or multiplayer

But I dont want to start a flame-war, so I was just saying that its not true that they're such a bad platform for playing FPS games
OCJunkie 30th June 2011, 18:49 Quote
Why is it that everytime I turn around there's some news about Nintendo's BS new console with the words "hardcore gamers" invariably plastered on it? I don't see why Nintendo's so obsessed with it when they claim those so-called "hardcore" gamers make up only a tiny percentage of their market; you can't please everybody, and Nintendo obviously has a good position focusing on the accessible casual side.

And yeah I'm tired of seeing Bit-Tech relentlessly posting this kind of non-news.
supermonkey 30th June 2011, 20:15 Quote
Hardcore gamers will never play on consoles. We all know they prefer Macs.

:p
Showerhead 30th June 2011, 20:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru Iwata
'Wii was not accepted by core gamers because they did not want to abandon their preferred control approach,'
And here was me thinking it was because the first games brought out for it appeared to be aimed for the kiddy/casual market. Kinect is having similar problems, there are no titles that appeal to the 'hardcore' audience.
The Hooded Claw 30th June 2011, 21:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel OD
I still think about how I can watercool it..

You could Wii all over it...
Cerberus90 30th June 2011, 22:35 Quote
If the Wii showed us anything, it was that it sold in huge numbers even though it technically wasn't very good.

I would guess that this one will do the same.
Might even be slightly better, as the Wii was really only any good when there was a group of people to play with as most of the games were multiplayer oriented. You would hope that the majority of the games for the Wii U would be single player.
enciem 30th June 2011, 22:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hooded Claw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel OD
I still think about how I can watercool it..

You could Wii all over it...

despite all the groans, I thought that was funny. Actually, I guess the groans could just be due to it being really good Wii
Cei 30th June 2011, 22:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus90
If the Wii showed us anything, it was that it sold in huge numbers even though it technically wasn't very good.

The Wii racked up massive hardware sales, but I bet most are gathering dust. Mine isn't even plugged in...
XXAOSICXX 30th June 2011, 22:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lusive

Thats just ridiculous. The fact that there's some element of aim-assist in FPS games on consoles (because of the nature of the analogue sticks) doesn't mean there's no skill in shooting or that it makes the experience any less "hardcore".

That's kinda exactly what it means tbh.

FPS: PC > Console
RTS: PC > Console
RPG: PC > Console
MMO: PC > Console

...and so on, except:

Sports, racing, platformers and anything involving dancing etc, which you can keep.

Sorry :)
Cerberus90 30th June 2011, 23:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cei
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus90
If the Wii showed us anything, it was that it sold in huge numbers even though it technically wasn't very good.

The Wii racked up massive hardware sales, but I bet most are gathering dust. Mine isn't even plugged in...

So is ours.

My sister bought one, but has barely used it.

It was a fad.
2bdetermine 30th June 2011, 23:56 Quote
Can consoles do SLI, Crossfire, Multi-Display etc?

End of discussion of so call "Hardcore".
3lusive 1st July 2011, 00:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
That's kinda exactly what it means tbh.

No it just means they use different input devices which allow you to control your online character. Yes you get better resolutions etc gaming on a PC, but that's not what I was referring to.
Artanix 1st July 2011, 07:10 Quote
Quote:
Also, the Wii U controller is not as big or heavy as it looks.

Use bigger hands in the pictures then!
Bindibadgi 1st July 2011, 07:24 Quote
New accessories for Wii U: Keyboard, Mouse and PCI-E slot for upgrades.
Elton 1st July 2011, 07:42 Quote
What in god's name is a hardcore gamer these days?

The Wii U reminds me of that lady in Kung Pow.
sub routine 1st July 2011, 08:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
New accessories for Wii U: Keyboard, Mouse and PCI-E slot for upgrades.

something sorely missed from consoles, why have none of them caught onto this peripheral yet?

PCI-E is a nice and ambiguous teaser though ...
Draksis 1st July 2011, 08:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lusive

Thats just ridiculous. The fact that there's some element of aim-assist in FPS games on consoles (because of the nature of the analogue sticks) doesn't mean there's no skill in shooting or that it makes the experience any less "hardcore".

That's kinda exactly what it means tbh.

FPS: PC > Console
RTS: PC > Console
RPG: PC > Console
MMO: PC > Console

...and so on, except:

Sports, racing, platformers and anything involving dancing etc, which you can keep.

Sorry :)

Nail on the head! +1
Fod 1st July 2011, 08:45 Quote
Tbh in my experience there's no such thing as hardcore gamers. There are people who like to play games and there are douchebags. That's basically it right there. I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader for them to decide where they lie.
Xir 1st July 2011, 09:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonkey
Hardcore gamers will never play on consoles. We all know they prefer Macs.

:p
http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/Orl4ndo_from_Venezuela/badumtss.jpg
human_error 1st July 2011, 10:53 Quote
I spend most my free time playing games, so I'm probably the kind of person they're aiming for. I prefer gaming on my PC but have all the current colsoles as I enjoy playing console games as well.

I will not be buying a wii u. I had a wii and never really played on it. I'm not a big fan of Nintendo titles so what does the wii u give me that my PS3 and xbox 360 don't? Of the 3 the wii has the worse motion controls and the worst gamepads. A stupid big (yes it is big, I don't care what nintendo say - it's bigger than any other controller I hold in my hands by a good margin) controller is not going to make me buy a wii u as it doesn't enhance my games at all. They say I can look at the controller screen for some content to save space on my TV - I can only look at one at a time, so why not pop-up the content on the controller to the TV?

I, like many gamers, was burned with the Wii and the Wii U has nothing compelling to make me buy one. It has no USP other than a big controller that will annoy me more than anything else - and I would have to have one if I got a Wii U. The controller will be a waste of money when buying the console, and I don't think will be used well by any games, and if it is used well it means I may be *forced* to use the stupid thing when gaming in single player.
XXAOSICXX 1st July 2011, 11:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lusive
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
That's kinda exactly what it means tbh.

No it just means they use different input devices which allow you to control your online character. Yes you get better resolutions etc gaming on a PC, but that's not what I was referring to.

You say different, I hear inferior.
tom_hargreaves 1st July 2011, 12:35 Quote
A mate of mine plays games pretty much every second of free time he gets. On a 360.

I play games on my PC every 2-3 days or so. I'd say he's more of a hardcore gamer tbh.
[USRF]Obiwan 1st July 2011, 13:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lusive

Thats just ridiculous. The fact that there's some element of aim-assist in FPS games on consoles (because of the nature of the analogue sticks) doesn't mean there's no skill in shooting or that it makes the experience any less "hardcore".

That's kinda exactly what it means tbh.

FPS: PC > Console
RTS: PC > Console
RPG: PC > Console
MMO: PC > Console

...and so on, except:

Sports, racing, platformers and anything involving dancing etc, which you can keep.

Sorry :)

Well I have a momo steering wheel with Forcefeedback and pedals and its awesome top play on PC like that So you have to add:

Racing PC > Console

And do not forget:
Flight sim PC > Console

Console controlers suck , i will never ever buy a console I had one in 1977 it was called Pong and later I had a Atari 2600 console.

But once I got a computer with a mouse and keyboard (Atari ST) I never looked back...
supermonkey 1st July 2011, 15:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fod
Tbh in my experience there's no such thing as hardcore gamers. There are people who like to play games and there are douchebags. That's basically it right there. I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader for them to decide where they lie.
Quoted for emphasis, and rep added for one of the most accurate comments in this thread.
uz1_l0v3r 2nd July 2011, 13:13 Quote
I'd be too embarrassed to call myself a "hardcore" or "core" gamer, but I play a lot of games, too many in fact, and I've been playing for years and years. I bought the Wii for the same reason a lot of people bought it - they wanted a novel experience not offered by the other consoles. Ultimately for me, the Wii's paltry library of decent games was what led to me selling it, after leaving it to gather dust for over a year. Super Mario Galaxy aside, the most enjoyment I got out of it was from playing old gamecube games.
Lazarus Dark 2nd July 2011, 18:54 Quote
Yknow. There's a lot of judgement over a console that has not even been shown playing a full game. All we've seen was a CONCEPT demo.

Everyone laughed when Nintendo brought out the Wii and everyone said they would go under like Sega. Then they freaking dominated the console sales. I don't think people should be dismissing the Wii U at this early a stage. In all honesty, the concept demo still leaves me wondering what the heck they will do with the Umote, but I'll reserve judgement until I see something thats actually reviewable.

I will fully admit, the Wii's main downfall has been lack of games. After everyone got tired of Wii sports, and then the Hardcore Nintendo Gamers completed Mario Galaxy and Zelda Twilight Princess for the second time, there wasn't a lot left, besides a little Mario Kart and Smash Bros. The last Wii game I bought was Mario Galaxy, almost two years ago. That is a major fail, BUT: the Wii U stands to rectify that. How? Cross platform ports. Provided its not unusually difficult to port, since Wii U supports superior hardware and full HD, they will be able to port all the best games that the other consoles have had exclusive use of for the last 5 years. No longer will Nintendo fans have to buy another console to get the larger, shinier games. Will my father-in-law be trading in his Wii for a Wii U? NO. He got it for Wii sports and the balance board and thats all he, or many, wanted it for; he never intended to buy any other games. So the Wii U will not sell as much, I'll guarantee that, but it will still dominate, and when the 720 or ps4 comes they will sell LESS because Nintendo gamers no longer will need a second console.

Note, there is something called the Hardcore Nintendo Gamer. We just don't like the other consoles. When the Wii ran out of new games worth buying and the 360 dropped to 100$ at walmart, I grabbed a 360. I played it a couple times, then it sat there. I realized all the good games were already available on pc. Bioshock, Portal, Orange Box, etc. all those I already had on the PC, so what did I need the 360 for? As far as 360 exclusive titles... they just weren't meant for Nintendo Gamers. We're a different breed and those consoles just don't do it for us. My 360 got donated to the local childrens hospital, hopefully they can get a Kinect for it and play the new Sesame street game previewed at E3 *rolls eyes*

So, I don't think there is such a thing as a Hardcore Gamer. There's Hardcore Nintendo Gamers, Hardcore PC Gamers, Hardcore Xbox Gamers, and they are all very different types of people.
wafflesomd 3rd July 2011, 02:32 Quote
[QUOTE=3lusive]
Quote:
Originally Posted by faugusztin


Thats just ridiculous. The fact that there's some element of aim-assist in FPS games on consoles (because of the nature of the analogue sticks) doesn't mean there's no skill in shooting or that it makes the experience any less "hardcore".

That's basically exactly what it means....
rogerrabbits 3rd July 2011, 23:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lusive

Thats just ridiculous. The fact that there's some element of aim-assist in FPS games on consoles (because of the nature of the analogue sticks) doesn't mean there's no skill in shooting or that it makes the experience any less "hardcore".

That's kinda exactly what it means tbh.

FPS: PC > Console
RTS: PC > Console
RPG: PC > Console
MMO: PC > Console

...and so on, except:

Sports, racing, platformers and anything involving dancing etc, which you can keep.

Sorry :)

Well racing I have a good steering wheel, so I'd rather be playing something like Shift 2 Unleashed on my PC than anything else. And then platforms, I played Trine on the PC and it was a LOT better on PC than it was on the ps3, so include racers and platformers on the PC too.

Dancing games yeah whatever ;p But tbh, I have a 360 controller on my PC so I get the best of both worlds anyway, consoles don't. Consoles are entry level gaming on the cheap. They are great for that, but it's not for hardcore gaming.
slothy89 4th July 2011, 05:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus Dark
So, I don't think there is such a thing as a Hardcore Gamer. There's Hardcore Nintendo Gamers, Hardcore PC Gamers, Hardcore Xbox Gamers, and they are all very different types of people.
This! I'd say this is probably the truest representation of what a "hardcore" gamer is.
Hardcore is more a measure of how often you play, and wether you play a title for more than 5 hours before moving on to the next one.

/rant.start
To further clarify, I feel PC and the xbox are the primary "hardcore" platforms, with PS3 being enthusiast, and nintendo being for the casual.

This all comes down to the type of games available to each platform as well as how the controllers are optimised for certain styles of play. Imagine WoW on the wii... That would be interesting..

It also is related to the size of the community generated by it. Xbox is huge when it comes to YouTube stuff (mostly cod yes, but still). PC has a large community across a lot of games. You'll find that there's a lot of 'clans/guilds' on the PC. Again mainly on the FPS and MMORPG genres.

Someone who dedicates a lot of time to gaming, and bases part/all of their social life through games is hardcore. The kid who sits at home and plays Mario/Zelda 24/7 on his own isnt hardcore, he's just sad.. Lol..

The fact that nintendo are trying to dub the Wii U as a hardcore platform is a bit flimsy, how many games are going to be as community oriented as cod/battlefield or various mmorpgs? TBH it's the ONLINE multiplayer that makes a game/platform hardcore.

/rant.end
slothy89 4th July 2011, 05:27 Quote
Oh and to quote the article title:
"Hardcore gamers will accept the WiiU" as a casual platform :D
Dude111 4th July 2011, 22:59 Quote
I am a HARDCORE GAMER and im sorry but i wont accept WII,i think its crap compared to OLDER/GOOD games from the 80s!!

Ms. PACMAN,Frogger,Pacmania,Donkey Kong,Dig dug,etc... NOW THOSE ARE GOOD GAMES!!
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums