bit-gamer.net

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition DRM explained

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition DRM explained

Capcom has asked for fan feedback on the proposed RM system for the next Street Fighter title.

Capcom has revealed plans for DRM that would result in limited offline functionality in the upcoming Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition, due to be released in early July. They are now asking for feedback on their plans.

The game will require a constant internet connection and a login to Games for Windows Live in order to be fully playable. Without it, players will be limited to 15 out of 39 characters, it will not be possible to save any progress in challenges and access to any purchased DLC will be cut off. An interrupted internet connection will allow you to carry on as normal but the game will request a login after the match.

The use of this DRM is a response to the piracy and cheating that occurred in Street Fighter IV, says Capcom.

'SSIV unfortunately was plagued by pirates and hackers that messed up the leaderboards,' said Capcom's Christian Svensson.

Super Street Fighter IV was not released on the PC, despite being nearly ready to ship, as a response to the piracy that Street Fighter IV suffered from.

What are your thoughts on DRM as a response to piracy? Let us know in the forums.

50 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
warejon9 27th May 2011, 16:10 Quote
Ain't that similar to the system Ubisoft used, and didn't work? Why don't they just use a CD key, if your cd key is legit you can play online, the DRM just annoys normal people, pirates just get rid of it.
Fizzban 27th May 2011, 16:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by warejon9
Ain't that similar to the system Ubisoft used, and didn't work? Why don't they just use a CD key, if your cd key is legit you can play online, the DRM just annoys normal people, pirates just get rid of it.

Couldn't agree more.
Glix 27th May 2011, 16:13 Quote
It's great how they complained last month about PSN being down so they couldn't enjoy their own games and the micro transactions...

Lateral thinking eh?
Flibblebot 27th May 2011, 16:17 Quote
Oh! God! The horror! Not GfWL!
(and so on)

Really. Why do companies use Gaming for Windows Live? Do they get paid lots of money by Microsoft? Because it sure as hell isn't because it's a good bit of software...:(
Picarro 27th May 2011, 16:22 Quote
Wait, so they said that they wouldn't release it on Steam because it wasn't accesible by everyone. But Steam IS accesible by everyone..

To be honest, it seems like they just ****ed up the PC version and are looking for an excuse to not release it.
N!ck 27th May 2011, 16:29 Quote
hackers will cut this DRM out in 5 to 10min
TheLegendJoe 27th May 2011, 16:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by N!ck
hackers will cut this DRM out in 5 to 10min

^ This ;) Make a good game, and people will go out of their way to buy it, make a crap game and people will torrent before they buy, and never ever buy....
jrs77 27th May 2011, 16:37 Quote
Games for consoles and PC alike have to work offline aswell aslong as they've got a single-player-mode. Steam and other services or copy-protection that require an internet-connection are out of the question in that case imho.

The easiest solution for the companies to sell more games not getting pirated as much is to lower the prices for their games, which are ridiculously high nowadays. $20-30 is the sweetspot for games, where people will buy them and don't feel robbed.

Anyways... companies are greedy and then complain about piracy or simply p'ss off people with DRM and stuff.
Jehla 27th May 2011, 16:39 Quote
Really, what is all this anal DRM in aid of? There will be a cracked version on the torrents before the game has been out a week. Low level piracy can be controlled with a disk check.
jimmyjj 27th May 2011, 16:43 Quote
People here have pretty much summed up all the relevant points in just 6 post.

Always on internet connection requirement unworkable.
GfWL is unpopular bloatware.
CD key for online play would be fine.
Steam would be much better.
Pirates will hack it in minutes so only paying customers are inconvenienced.
Narishma 27th May 2011, 16:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flibblebot
Oh! God! The horror! Not GfWL!
(and so on)

Really. Why do companies use Gaming for Windows Live? Do they get paid lots of money by Microsoft? Because it sure as hell isn't because it's a good bit of software...:(

They use it either because Microsoft pays them to or because it's very easy (thus cheaper) to port from Xbox Live to Games for Windows Live than to something like Steamworks.
Lazy_Amp 27th May 2011, 16:46 Quote
Yeah, I remember having to halt an Assassin's Creed 2 session right in the middle of something important because I lost my connection. At least this lets you get to the end of a match before it happens, but the need for constant handholding for a game to run is simply annoying to consumers.

Remember when everyone was outraged that Spore and Mass Effect needed to connect to a server once a week for a handshake? Those were the days... and I should bring up that Bit-Tech highly touted that the Witcher 2 had 'no DRM', but I didn't see anywhere in the original article that the retail version in fact had a CD Key and required a 1 time internet activation (Annoying, as I moved the day it was released, and my ISP canceled my transfer without notifying me, so I couldn't play it for 4 days) and can only be activated on a limited number of computers (though you can get licences back, they tell me), not to mention Day 1 free DRC which required a user account, but in fact I could never connect to the servers long enough to download anyway.*

In short, if there is a DRM war, customers are not winning.



*Really, these were the only issues I had with The Witcher 2, the game itself deserves the 95 Bit-Tech gave it.
Evildead666 27th May 2011, 16:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjj
People here have pretty much summed up all the relevant points in just 6 post.

Always on internet connection requirement unworkable.
GfWL is unpopular bloatware.
CD key for online play would be fine.
Steam would be much better.
Pirates will hack it in minutes so only paying customers are inconvenienced.

I wholly agree.
Tulatin 27th May 2011, 16:57 Quote
Yes, because piracy is breaking the leaderboards.
r3loaded 27th May 2011, 17:37 Quote
Not buying their argument. Or their game for that matter. Congrats Capcom, another lost sale. I won't even bother pirating it because I have other games to be playing instead.
Aracos 27th May 2011, 18:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Amp
I should bring up that Bit-Tech highly touted that the Witcher 2 had 'no DRM',

It was always the case that the witcher 2 on GoG would not have DRM, as far as I'm aware Atari publish it and I'm assuming they require that the game has DRM.

As for the article I was excited when I heard that Capcom was gonna concentrate on the PC but now
Quote:
require a constant internet connection
They can screw off, not interested in their games, constant internet connection is wrong, one time activation is fine, they can never make another PC game as far as I care. Over reacting? Maybe, but I still have yet to buy an Ubisoft game that includes their ridiculous DRM.
Sloth 27th May 2011, 18:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by warejon9
Ain't that similar to the system Ubisoft used, and didn't work? Why don't they just use a CD key, if your cd key is legit you can play online, the DRM just annoys normal people, pirates just get rid of it.
The purpose of this kind of DRM is to also restrict offline play. A CD key does almost nothing to stop this (download a crack, simple as running an .exe) and PC gamers are notorious for using tools like Hamachi to exploit any local play over the internet.

Shame about GFWL, though. Should have just made it a Steamworks game, DRM sorted and friends list sorted.
mighty_pirate 27th May 2011, 18:38 Quote
I only buy things I know have DRM once I'm certain I can bypass it. Putting DRM in a game just delays my purchase & thus, the amount I pay them for it.
Artanix 27th May 2011, 18:42 Quote
quoted from the guy at Capcom who started this: (replying to people suggesting that it'll be hacked no matter what DRM they put on)
Quote:
One never knows, that could well be true. Personally, I'm not quite as defeatist.

The world is defeatist it would seem then...
SMIFFYDUDE 27th May 2011, 18:45 Quote
Why do capcom need to get peoples feedback? They already know people will hate it but they will go ahead with it anyway.
pendragon 27th May 2011, 18:54 Quote
FAIL.. I guess I won't be buying that if that's what they end up using for DRM ..... I should probably jsut stick to buying the original SF4 on Steam
mrbens 27th May 2011, 19:07 Quote
I don't see how this is going to stop people pirating it? The DRM will be cracked before the game is even out so it only annoys the people who actually buy it (as usual).
the-beast 27th May 2011, 22:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by warejon9
Ain't that similar to the system Ubisoft used, and didn't work? Why don't they just use a CD key, if your cd key is legit you can play online, the DRM just annoys normal people, pirates just get rid of it.

I fully agree with this statement.

Nothing more is needed or wanted. If capcom go ahead with their planned drm then they can count me out as a customer straight way
SNIPERMikeUK 27th May 2011, 22:26 Quote
No Capcom, no way....
Hardware150 27th May 2011, 23:11 Quote
Already own the original street fighter 4 on steam, was gunna buy this, so glad i didn't preorder it already.

Heres hoping that they'll remove the drm in a patch like CD Projekt just have with the retail version of the witcher 2......
Mentai 27th May 2011, 23:43 Quote
F***ing retarded.

If SSF4 has this implemented and fails miserably maybe they will be more reasonable for future releases that I actually might purchase? Better they get this crap out of their system now than when they have a product I actually want to buy.
DriftCarl 28th May 2011, 01:45 Quote
wont that game die already?
I got bored of that in the arcade 15 years ago.
SexyHyde 28th May 2011, 09:46 Quote
Won't buy. Won't pirate. Ninja'd lost sale.
ev1lm1nd666 28th May 2011, 10:47 Quote
Bloated, useless DRM is the reason i'm moving towards console gaming at the moment. I love pc gaming, but console games are coming down in price so i'm only paying £5 more for the console version over the pc version which i'm happy to do to get around the issues mentioned above. I know what i'm doing isn't helping the pc gaming situation, but i really can't be arsed to install a game only to have to spend up to 45 minutes creating an account with ubisoft etc before i can even play the bloody thing. pirates and hackers are going to continue breaking and pirating games so why not bring the prices of games down, go back to a one time internet activation, scrap GfWL, and instead of a paltry slap in the face, give us a decent single player experience plus multi-player instead of a quick demo and multi player?
kylew 28th May 2011, 11:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ev1lm1nd666
Bloated, useless DRM is the reason i'm moving towards console gaming at the moment. I love pc gaming, but console games are coming down in price so i'm only paying £5 more for the console version over the pc version which i'm happy to do to get around the issues mentioned above. I know what i'm doing isn't helping the pc gaming situation, but i really can't be arsed to install a game only to have to spend up to 45 minutes creating an account with ubisoft etc before i can even play the bloody thing. pirates and hackers are going to continue breaking and pirating games so why not bring the prices of games down, go back to a one time internet activation, scrap GfWL, and instead of a paltry slap in the face, give us a decent single player experience plus multi-player instead of a quick demo and multi player?


It takes you 45 minutes to create an account? Are you really slow at typing? It doesn't take 45 minutes to download most of my games on Steam, and I don't believe it really does take you anywhere near 45 minutes.

By all means, keep buying console games, you don't have to justify it to anyone, especially not by waffling on about greatly exaggerated things.
impar 28th May 2011, 12:48 Quote
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylew
It takes you 45 minutes to create an account?
Took me an hour to create a working GFWL account:
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2167081&postcount=24
dactone 28th May 2011, 13:34 Quote
They should just use steam as DRM,if there going down the always on internet connection route, all them people with a connection will be able to access steam.
Aracos 28th May 2011, 14:48 Quote
Oh ant btw if this is capcom's attempt at concentrating on the PC by doing what they always do, rehashing exactly the same game with more characters then I really hope this game gets pirated to hell. I won't be buying or pirating this game but the idea of concentrating on a platform by rehashing the same games is insulting.
Keivz 28th May 2011, 18:12 Quote
I never had a problem with this DRM scheme. Played SC and AC II without any problems. Though the games still seem to get pirated/cracked, there must be some benefit to the publishers to use it I assume. Either way, if it means more capcom games for PC then i'm 100% for it.
AstralWanderer 28th May 2011, 18:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Amp
...and I should bring up that Bit-Tech highly touted that the Witcher 2 had 'no DRM', but I didn't see anywhere in the original article that the retail version in fact had a CD Key and required a 1 time internet activation...
It may be worth noting that Witcher 2 Patch 1.1 removes all DRM from the retail releases and includes the Troll Trouble DLC.

As for Capcom, given the grief they've given their PS3 customers and now propose to inflict on PC users, I hope they go bankrupt ASAP and leave the market open for a more enlightened publisher.
Ross1 28th May 2011, 23:39 Quote
GFWL really is a piece of ****. I think any of us who tried playing GTAIV on steam were fairly pissed at it.
JA12 29th May 2011, 01:15 Quote
I'm not going to play this game; I'm not going to buy it and I'm not going to download the drm-free version. That's because I've lost my interest for games. I don't want to run pile of crapware anymore and continuously keep buying new hardware to be able to do so.

And yet games industry counts me as a lost sale because of piracy, when their next statistics comes out :D
SexyHyde 29th May 2011, 09:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by JA12
I'm not going to play this game; I'm not going to buy it and I'm not going to download the drm-free version. That's because I've lost my interest for games. I don't want to run pile of crapware anymore and continuously keep buying new hardware to be able to do so.

And yet games industry counts me as a lost sale because of piracy, when their next statistics comes out :D
Same here. I've gone from buying around 10 games a year and am now at two for the last year.
Romirez 29th May 2011, 15:03 Quote
Perhaps Capcom should consider that a choice between paying £40-50 for a defective product, or getting a flawless version for free, isn't actually much of a choice.

I certainly won't consider buying any game that requires an internet connection for anything other than its online features, and with the way DRM is going it looks like my days of gaming may be coming to their end.
Ficky Pucker 29th May 2011, 15:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Amp
Yeah, I remember having to halt an Assassin's Creed 2 session right in the middle of something important because I lost my connection. At least this lets you get to the end of a match before it happens, but the need for constant handholding for a game to run is simply annoying to consumers.

Remember when everyone was outraged that Spore and Mass Effect needed to connect to a server once a week for a handshake? Those were the days... and I should bring up that Bit-Tech highly touted that the Witcher 2 had 'no DRM', but I didn't see anywhere in the original article that the retail version in fact had a CD Key and required a 1 time internet activation (Annoying, as I moved the day it was released, and my ISP canceled my transfer without notifying me, so I couldn't play it for 4 days) and can only be activated on a limited number of computers (though you can get licences back, they tell me), not to mention Day 1 free DRC which required a user account, but in fact I could never connect to the servers long enough to download anyway.*

In short, if there is a DRM war, customers are not winning.



*Really, these were the only issues I had with The Witcher 2, the game itself deserves the 95 Bit-Tech gave it.

1.1 patch removes DRM from retail version of witcher 2 :)

oh and since we're discussing DRM ...
http://i.imgur.com/sL8u6.png
runadumb 29th May 2011, 17:09 Quote
Capcom please don't hurt the people that actually pay for your game. I won't buy games with such stupid restrictions. Case in point, Farcry 2 was £2.50 this week on steam. Didn't buy it, why? Because it has install limits which I think is insane. It's a couple of years old as well, why don't they remove it? Anyone who was going too pirate it already has *sigh* such backward thinking.

Also I bought SF4 and gave up playing very quickly as GFWL sucked so hard. The emailing messaging system is from another era and me and my mate never got voice chat to work. It worked fine on Resident Evil 4 but not on SF4 so matches got dull without the smack talk. Such a waste of money that was and I won't be making the same mistake twice. Thanks for making my decision easy.

Thinking about MK for ps3. Would much rather on PC but will see.
Xir 30th May 2011, 10:45 Quote
I play singleplayer-offline, so this is a major bummer.
Couldn't care about their "Leaderboards" either so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by runadumb
Farcry 2 was £2.50 this week on steam. .
Darn I missed that.
PQuiff 30th May 2011, 11:58 Quote
CAPCOM.....NO!!!!!
Bad capcom....now go to your room.

Why are some companies soooooo stupid? Just as i thought Capcom had upped there win quotient they go and pull this. It does not make economic sense to put the customers who actually buy your product to more inconvenience than those who pirate it.

If they can find anyone who will welcome this id be stunned.

There will ALWAYS be piracy. All they can do to combat it is make their games better and reward those who buy them. NO to DRM, NO to DLC.
PQuiff 30th May 2011, 12:24 Quote
http://www.shopto.net/PC/VIDEO%20GAMES/PCSU13-Super%20Street%20Fighter%204%20Arcade%20Edition.html

And there more likley to get less piracy if they sell it at a sensible price.

Try £18 quid at shop to......
Deadpunkdave 30th May 2011, 12:34 Quote
So to translate into non-BS:

"We here at Capcom do not care about PC gaming. Since we do not live in a cave, we already know that the one thing that is guaranteed to be offensive to PC gamers is a complicated, crippling DRM system like this one. We're going to ask for your feedback anyway because that gives us better PR, and we need that so that we can sell more copies on xbox"
blackcell1 30th May 2011, 13:53 Quote
no capcom! just bundle it with steam, its the lesser of two evils
ssj12 31st May 2011, 06:46 Quote
Capcom, ditch GFWL and ill buy it.
Toploaded 31st May 2011, 07:44 Quote
On bit-tech and the internet in general you will always find two arguments for everything, even horrible things like restrictive DRM has people that are not entirely against it, like Keivz posted above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keivz
I never had a problem with this DRM scheme. Played SC and AC II without any problems. Though the games still seem to get pirated/cracked, there must be some benefit to the publishers to use it I assume. Either way, if it means more capcom games for PC then i'm 100% for it.

Fair enough.

Reason I'm pointing this out is that, even though horrible stuff like DRM that needs you to say online for a single player game does not piss everyone off, I have never, EVER read one single post from someone saying 'Hey, GFWL is not that bad I've never had a problem with it' which further highlights what a terrible, nasty, dirty, crappy, god damn AWFUL system it is.
Blademrk 31st May 2011, 11:17 Quote
I've not had a problem with GFWL (so far), but then I've only used it with Batman AA, Dow 2, Tinker and an RTS game who's name I can't recall.
impar 2nd June 2011, 23:24 Quote
Greetings!
Quote:
SSFIV: AE PC – DRM: We Had it Wrong
...
The argument that legitimate users would have a worse experience than pirates was the loudest and most convincing. We certainly don’t want that to be the case and that was never our intention.

So we’ve heard you loud and clear and here’s what we’re going to do about it:

Shortly after launch (it might even be at launch, but we’ll see how submission timing and approval goes) we will roll out a small title update that will completely remove the character limitations for offline mode. That is to say, once you’ve updated, you will be able to use all 39 characters when not connected to the Internet to practice your combo timings, have some fun with a friend on a laptop, or whatever while offline.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums