bit-gamer.net

EA forum ban blocks Dragon Age 2 player

EA forum ban blocks Dragon Age 2 player

EA has banned a forum user, resulting in blocking him from being able to play Dragon Age 2.

A player is unable to install Dragon Age following a temporary ban from the BioWare community forums.

User v_ware claims he was banned for asking if Bioware had 'sold their souls to the EA devil'. The ban then locked him out of the Bioware Social Network, blocking him from being able to play Dragon Age 2. A Bioware Social Network account is required to install copies of the game from the EA Store.

'Now I've got a dead game for 50 euros,' said v_ware. 'Pity.'

BioWare community representative Stanley Woo stated that the ban was in response to a breach of the EA community rules and was a result of another user pressing the report post button.

'Consider it an added incentive to follow the rules you say you're going to follow,' said Mr Woo.

A BioWare community ban can last as little as 24 hours, but may last more.

This incident is similar to Blizzard banning Starcraft 2 players for cheating on their singleplayer campaigns. The major difference here is that there is no online component to Dragon Age 2, other than downloadable content.

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

66 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Sensei 11th March 2011, 15:36 Quote
What a joke. Ban the guy from the forums, but dont stop him playing the game he paid for. Cheeky shits.
Fanatic 11th March 2011, 15:39 Quote
I'm sure they are covered up to their arses with small print allowing this but should that be allowed? Not for me - thats some seriously out of order control mechanism in place there.
maximus09 11th March 2011, 15:42 Quote
yea surely he was banned from the forum. How did they ban him from playing his game? is it because of the online DRM check?


just to add to this, surely everyone has a right of free speach, ok if you break the forum rules you get banned. But if I said the same thing to my mate, face-to-face, it sounds like they would ban me from playing the game too.
Guinevere 11th March 2011, 15:42 Quote
A little OTT for the comment, but it's not a permanent ban, so not exactly a biggie.
Hawkest 11th March 2011, 15:50 Quote
hey if its in the terms and conditions of use, and we all know we read all the way through that!!!

Then i think good on EA/Bioware i would like my company to slagged off in my own forum.
wiggles 11th March 2011, 15:54 Quote
Quite sad

The attempts to justify it are weak
fingerbob69 11th March 2011, 15:55 Quote
I think Bioware/EA should have asked themselves 'Just because we could ban the guy, does that mean we should ban the guy?'
fingerbob69 11th March 2011, 15:57 Quote
Out of curiosity...would I get banned for suggesting that it's sometimes hard not to get the impression that Harry Butler favours nVidia hardware over that from AMD?
DriftCarl 11th March 2011, 16:01 Quote
Just because there are such things and terms and conditions. This doesnt give the company the right to put what the hell they want into them. The terms and conditions still has to abide by the law. So you cant say "by signing these terms and conditions, you agree to give us all the money you will ever earn in your life"
Those would be illegal. And I am sure given the right backing, many of these EA/bioware terms and conditions can be challenged in court and I have no doubt some of them will be classed as illegal.
Deadpunkdave 11th March 2011, 16:02 Quote
How many times does this have to happen before major companies who pay big fat PR salaries realise that no one gives a flying proverbial about some guy on a forum unless they are a paying customer who you then treat like a criminal
DragunovHUN 11th March 2011, 16:08 Quote
**** that ****. If it wasn't for Mass Effect 3 i would never buy a Bioware game again in protest.
Sensei 11th March 2011, 16:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
A little OTT for the comment, but it's not a permanent ban, so not exactly a biggie.

Its the principal of it dude. Why should they have the power to do that. If I buy a VW car, should VW be able to shut my engine off because I cut up their director at the lights? It would be cool...for them but its my car.
smc8788 11th March 2011, 16:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Fanatic
I'm sure they are covered up to their arses with small print allowing this but should that be allowed? Not for me - thats some seriously out of order control mechanism in place there.

It's right there in the EULA, but how that would stand up in a court is up for debate - they stand on notoriously shaky legal ground so it's likely that if anyone did challenge EA in court then they would get that ban overturned. It's unlikely anyone will bother doing this though, so in all likelihood they will get away with this shameful behaviour.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
A little OTT for the comment, but it's not a permanent ban, so not exactly a biggie.

That's not the point, and they've already stated that should the situation require it they can and will hand out permanent bans and deactivate accounts.
VipersGratitude 11th March 2011, 16:17 Quote
Quote:
Consider it an added incentive to follow the rules you say you're going to follow

you know, this could make for a very interesting legal case.

The reason you get T&Cs before using software is that it's a requirement under US law.

It could be argued that if the forum contract, and the game contract are so intrinsically linked then that should be unequivocally stated in both, and if he's a minor then he may not have the capacity to interpret the two dense blocks of legalese required just to play a game.

I thought I'd check if it did actually state on the above on the bioware social network, and currently you can sign up without being provided with the contract you're signing up to - the ToS are presented in a shadowbox that just displays "Error loading content".

Looks like the onus is on Bioware to sort their act out
smc8788 11th March 2011, 16:21 Quote
Apparently the rules concerning the banning of game accounts are linked to the EA community guidelines, not the Bioware social network:
Quote:
Because the BioWare community now operates under the same umbrella as all EA Communities, community members here have all explicitly agreed to abide by and be governed by both sets of rules.
Hovis 11th March 2011, 16:40 Quote
Smell like rubbish to me. You can play DA2 without logging into the online community gubbins. Sounds like somebody got butthurt on a forum and now wants the world to hear them cry about it.
CraigUK87 11th March 2011, 16:46 Quote
what a joke, seriously! what a ****ing joke... where the hell is the god damn regulations???????????
by letting EA commit such ****ed stupid bans cause the guy was right in what he was saying, ya know i bet there is more people out there who was thinking exaclty what he said!

Hate to say it tho guys, everyone who buys a EA game or anything to do with EA only fuels this pathetic sanctions!
Fanatic 11th March 2011, 16:49 Quote
The person concerned relogged as another user and admitted his comment was probably uncalled for and worth a FORUM ban. As a result the community started to post their suport when a bioware staff member jumped in - quoted the EULA/T&C's and locked the thread.

Imo it shouldn't be allowed, a forum ban is a forum ban and they should provide a mechanism to allow just that. Just because something is stated in a EULA or set of T's & C's doesn't necessarily make it fair or even legal and is open to challenge.
Fanatic 11th March 2011, 16:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovis
Smell like rubbish to me. You can play DA2 without logging into the online community gubbins. Sounds like somebody got butthurt on a forum and now wants the world to hear them cry about it.

He can't activate it by the way...
oO ASBESTOS Oo 11th March 2011, 17:11 Quote
How typical is that.

These games companies make millions from us and when they get critisised they spit the dummy out the pram. EA are w4nk3rs anyway. They take you money with little support or interest once you have purchased. Fifa being another example.

Shame on EA
ev1lm1nd666 11th March 2011, 17:13 Quote
Thank god eden games aren't part of EA then, i'd have gotten several lifetime bans by now over TDU2! And besides, isn't EA an American company bound by the same laws that give people the right to free speech? If the forum user is European ( he'd be dealing with EA Europe), and could probably get a case going by claiming that EA has breached his human rights to free speech and freedom of expression.

Would love to see some spotty 16 year old taking em to court though
mighty_pirate 11th March 2011, 17:17 Quote
A little excessive perhaps, but if you will break the terms of your user account then you can't complain about a temp ban. And it is just a temp ban, no big whoop.
Logging into your Bioware a/c for installation seems reasonable & was employed in the first game & ME2 for recognising DLC. So I don't think any part of it should have come as a surprise.
eddtox 11th March 2011, 17:41 Quote
Yet another reason why I don't purchase EA's games.

I'm sure BT staff have been accused of selling their soul to the Dennis devil more than once, but I haven't heard of anyone getting banned for it, let alone losing access to their CPC collection.

Vote with your wallet.
Tangster 11th March 2011, 17:45 Quote
Haha. Nobody gives a damn if he can't install dragonage 2 for another few days.
dicobalt 11th March 2011, 18:03 Quote
Sounds to me like they did sell their souls to the EA devil, why else would they be so sensitive about such a topic.
thehippoz 11th March 2011, 18:15 Quote
playing it I keep hearing aveline say 'you silly twit' (probably just in my head).. maybe that pushed him over the edge xD and who is named mr. woo really
Sloth 11th March 2011, 18:29 Quote
If that's not karma I don't know what is! Funniest thing all morning!
leveller 11th March 2011, 18:45 Quote
I think it's been a long time coming that people should be held responsible for their actions both on forums and in games. People will soon learn to be polite.
Apoptosis 11th March 2011, 18:45 Quote
I guess the poster got his answer?
logan'srun 11th March 2011, 20:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller
I think it's been a long time coming that people should be held responsible for their actions both on forums and in games. People will soon learn to be polite.

You are kidding right? There's polite and then there's having the ability to question authority in whatever manner you choose to. Seriously. Getting a game banned for a minority for asking if Company A sold their souls to Company B? How was he rude in that? I think it was a very polite question and one that should be asked , but we're not privy to the details. But so what, the poster who said 'vote with your wallet' is more than right.
I concede the point about getting a temp forum bann for violating some OTT PC rules, but getting his game banned is beyond rightful action.
Whenever I hear of something like this I can't help but think of the great philosopher Zack de la Rocha who said, and I quote - "F*ck you, I won't do what you tell me" .

http://www.urbanartclothing.com/Ebay/Images_T-shirts/Shepard_Fairey_OBEY_computer.gif
Sloth 11th March 2011, 20:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan'srun
You are kidding right? There's polite and then there's having the ability to question authority in whatever manner you choose to. Seriously. Getting a game banned for a minority for asking if Company A sold their souls to Company B? How was he rude in that? I think it was a very polite question and one that should be asked , but we're not privy to the details. But so what, the poster who said 'vote with your wallet' is more than right.
I concede the point about getting a temp forum bann for violating some OTT PC rules, but getting his game banned is beyond rightful action.
Whenever I hear of something like this I can't help but think of the great philosopher Zack de la Rocha who said, and I quote - "F*ck you, I won't do what you tell me" .
The guy goes on a forum run by the developer, calls the publisher (who effectively sets the rules as per smc's quote, rules which the poster has agreed to) the devil and you expect him not to get banned?

It's like going to a restaurant and calling your waitress a fat and ugly cow. Don't expect to get your food any time soon.

Additionally, the poster who said "vote with your wallet" is indeed right. The user who got banned should obviously not have bought the game in the first place if he feels that EA is figuratively the devil.
FelixTech 11th March 2011, 22:05 Quote
Quote:
The guy goes on a forum run by the developer, calls the publisher (who effectively sets the rules as per smc's quote, rules which the poster has agreed to) the devil and you expect him not to get banned?

I don't know where the 'devil' (no pun intended!) has entered this argument? While it obvious originates from biblical terms, the phrase "Have you sold your soul to X" is very commonly used to represent any sort of stringent contract (or one where something is sacrificed for additional money).

It seems that in fact Bioware tricked the player into selling his soul to them!
leveller 11th March 2011, 22:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan'srun
You are kidding right? There's polite and then there's having the ability to question authority in whatever manner you choose to. Seriously. Getting a game banned for a minority for asking if Company A sold their souls to Company B? How was he rude in that? I think it was a very polite question and one that should be asked , but we're not privy to the details. But so what, the poster who said 'vote with your wallet' is more than right. I concede the point about getting a temp forum bann for violating some OTT PC rules, but getting his game banned is beyond rightful action. Whenever I hear of something like this I can't help but think of the great philosopher Zack de la Rocha who said, and I quote - "F*ck you, I won't do what you tell me"

I've said before that any dev/pub who does exclusivity deals with MS or Sony as selling their souls, they are in my eyes. Gaming should be about enjoying games. Remember the days when a game was released on Spectrum 48k, C64, Amstrad, BBC, Electron [insert more here]. Gaming used to be about enjoying gaming, now they release games exclusively to make you buy a console you don't already have just to gain access to those exclusives. Anyway what that guy said and what I say are probably unrelated. Should I get banned for my opinion? No. Should he? Not sure, it does sound really harsh, maybe there is more to the guys rantings that we haven't seen.

I would really like to see more community managers take a tougher approach in certain gaming circles to rid the communities of annoying dicks that say things like "**** you crytek you fags, your games are ****" when Crytek upset a few people because they were forced to rush out the PC demo still containing console references. How the hell are the guys at Crytek supposed to feel, or any developer for that matter when they've put in 16 hour days working in an industry they love to put out the best artistic work they can and be slated like that?
Sloth 11th March 2011, 22:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTech
I don't know where the 'devil' (no pun intended!) has entered this argument? While it obvious originates from biblical terms, the phrase "Have you sold your soul to X" is very commonly used to represent any sort of stringent contract (or one where something is sacrificed for additional money).

It seems that in fact Bioware tricked the player into selling his soul to them!
The phrase stems from a Faustian bargain (though Faust made this popular, it could well have been a popular phrase before then) where a person has sold their soul to the biblical devil. Replace the devil with something else and you're comparing the two. Using EA in the saying is implying that they are evil, sinister and wicked just like the devil of the original saying.
ZERO <ibis> 11th March 2011, 22:53 Quote
By the way new car sales will start to include a clause stating that the vehicle will become inoperable if you say anything bad about it. Likewise builders are implementing this into homes that will automatically burn to the ground if you say anything bad about the builder.
sausages 11th March 2011, 23:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei
What a joke. Ban the guy from the forums, but dont stop him playing the game he paid for. Cheeky shits.

Yes. I don't care what their eula and stuff says, ^ that is the way it should be.

And also, I'm very short on cash at the moment, so if anyone is genuinely interested in purchasing a soul, my price is quite reasonable.
smc8788 11th March 2011, 23:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth
It's like going to a restaurant and calling your waitress a fat and ugly cow. Don't expect to get your food any time soon.

There's a biiiiiiiiiig difference between openly insulting a waitress and posting an innocuous off the cuff remark on an Internet forum. Just sayin'.

If you start banning anyone who makes jokes on Internet forums from playing your games, then sooner or later you won't have any customers left at all. However, EA have wised up and realised that this set a dangerous precedent and the amount of media attention the story was getting them wasn't doing them any good, so they have now retracted the ban.
Sloth 12th March 2011, 00:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc8788
There's a biiiiiiiiiig difference between openly insulting a waitress and posting an innocuous off the cuff remark on an Internet forum. Just sayin'.

If you start banning anyone who makes jokes on Internet forums from playing your games, then sooner or later you won't have any customers left at all. However, EA have wised up and realised that this set a dangerous precedent and the amount of media attention the story was getting them wasn't doing them any good, so they have now retracted the ban.
There's also a big difference between any ol' forum and BioWare community forums. They key being, you insult BioWare or their publishers on the BioWare community forums and they're a whole lot more likely to not take kindly to it. Just like saying Bit-Tech sold their souls to the Dennis Publishing devil likely wouldn't go over too smoothly here, or insulting your waitress in her place of business.

Additionally, it's not a ban from the game for a forum comment, it's a ban from the forum for a forum comment which broke forum rules and was reported. The forum account is then required to play the game, but it's conjecture to say that the ban was done in order to prevent the player from playing the game without EA or BioWare filling in that link. The quote in Bit's article mentions that being blocked from the game is extra incentive to not get forum banned, but doesn't say being banned from the game is a direct punishment.
aron311 12th March 2011, 00:53 Quote
Sounds like the answer to the guys original question on the forum was a clear yes. EA has this reputation for a reason and developers when they are bought by EA are basically selling out on all their customers too. They don't even treat their staff very well; why would you want to help a company like that be successful?
Hovis 12th March 2011, 01:01 Quote
Random question here, assuming people here have Dragon Age 2, as I do, can anybody vouch for needing your forum login at any point to play the game? It had nothing to do with unlocking it for me. I put my Bioware pass and whatnot into the game -after- I'd installed it and was set to play it, but I didn't need to, I could have gone without it.

Where has this story even come from? Some guy complaining on the Internet? Since when does that make something true? I've seen the same story pop up on other sites as well, with not so much of a hint of evidence to back up the claim. Some guy with no name on the Internet says X, Y and Z, and suddenly Bioware are the evil empire? Is that how easy it's gotten to perform smear a company these days?

If somebody can replicate this ban = no game phenomenon then fair enough, it's news. Until then it just looks like a lot of gullible people looking for a reason to rage.
smc8788 12th March 2011, 01:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovis
Random question here, assuming people here have Dragon Age 2, as I do, can anybody vouch for needing your forum login at any point to play the game? It had nothing to do with unlocking it for me. I put my Bioware pass and whatnot into the game -after- I'd installed it and was set to play it, but I didn't need to, I could have gone without it.

Where has this story even come from? Some guy complaining on the Internet? Since when does that make something true? I've seen the same story pop up on other sites as well, with not so much of a hint of evidence to back up the claim. Some guy with no name on the Internet says X, Y and Z, and suddenly Bioware are the evil empire? Is that how easy it's gotten to perform smear a company these days?

If somebody can replicate this ban = no game phenomenon then fair enough, it's news. Until then it just looks like a lot of gullible people looking for a reason to rage.

Well, the statement from EA pretty much confirms that he's not just making it up:
Quote:
Unfortunately, there was an error in the system that accidentally suspended your entire EA account. Immediately upon learning of the glitch, we have restored the entire account and apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused while accessing other areas of the EA service.

As for the activation thing I'm not too sure, but it's my understanding that he bought it from the EA Store under that account.
FelixTech 12th March 2011, 01:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth
Additionally, it's not a ban from the game for a forum comment, it's a ban from the forum for a forum comment which broke forum rules and was reported. The forum account is then required to play the game, but it's conjecture to say that the ban was done in order to prevent the player from playing the game without EA or BioWare filling in that link. The quote in Bit's article mentions that being blocked from the game is extra incentive to not get forum banned, but doesn't say being banned from the game is a direct punishment.

By that logic then sentencing someone to sit in an electric chair isn't a death sentence, it's just that they happen not to be able to withstand 10,000 Volts for very long. I think you'll find (A→B)∧(B→C) → (A→C)
SpaceBaby 12th March 2011, 01:46 Quote
to add to EA's story just a little more for everyone check this out:
Dragon Age 2 stealth installs Securom without user knowledge or consent
D B 12th March 2011, 05:17 Quote
It's NOT a freedom of speech issue , a forum is private and you can not say just anything you like on one .. you agree to abide by the rules or your out ... but having ANYTHING to do with your ability to play a legally purchased and owned game is not acceptable and will only change when enough people say it's not
Ayrto 12th March 2011, 10:37 Quote
OMG, this is like those little ***** admins who ban you from game servers for beating them.
fingerbob69 12th March 2011, 11:02 Quote
The phrase stems from a Faustian bargain (though Faust made this popular, it could well have been a popular phrase before then) where a person has sold their soul to the biblical devil

Not sure the phrase "to sell one's soul to the Devil" appears in Marlowe's Dr Faustus. I think it has more to do with the attempted temptation of Christ by the Devil.
Glix 12th March 2011, 11:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth
Additionally, it's not a ban from the game for a forum comment, it's a ban from the forum for a forum comment which broke forum rules and was reported. The forum account is then required to play the game, but it's conjecture to say that the ban was done in order to prevent the player from playing the game without EA or BioWare filling in that link. The quote in Bit's article mentions that being blocked from the game is extra incentive to not get forum banned, but doesn't say being banned from the game is a direct punishment.

By that logic then sentencing someone to sit in an electric chair isn't a death sentence, it's just that they happen not to be able to withstand 10,000 Volts for very long. I think you'll find (A→B)∧(B→C) → (A→C)

Ban for using algebraic logic!
Dreaming 12th March 2011, 12:48 Quote
Can I add something:

for C&C3 people were banned from the EA forums for posting about EA being **** at making patches (which they truly are!!), and then couldn't play online either. The community managers / mods who were responsible for doing so were reprimanded heavily. Basically a lot of the mods are part time or volunteers or something and just see it as their kingdom and don't actually answer to a higher power, because the higher powers are too busy counting their money and/or making games and/or speaking to journalists. The executive team does not spend a lot of time worrying about community matters I don't think. In the same way the writers on bit-tech will probably spend more time reviewing hardware / games and getting good scoops than poring over every moderator decision.

So if you asked a bioware or EA executive about it, they'd probably swear under their breath, try and cover it up as a misunderstanding or something, while having serious words with the ****tards who ban people from games under their own authority. It's not a one off.
PerpetualOmega 12th March 2011, 15:04 Quote
Ah Free Speech is winning here then.
bemused 12th March 2011, 23:46 Quote
I won't be using EA forums again then.
karx11erx 13th March 2011, 07:54 Quote
Looks like Bioware has sold their souls, too. I would never buy a game from a company that would render goods unuseable I have paid good money for being able to use because of a secondary incident in a forum. Maybe Dreaming who posted above has the right clue though. I have experienced quite a few mods who are volunteers who were rather young and abused their power for overly restrictive handling of paying customers discussing game bugs and were very easily offended in their tremendous sense of personal dignity when they got criticized for threating people to close their threads or dealing forum users in an unfair manner. As a consequence I shun certain game publishers and developers.
armatyr 13th March 2011, 08:11 Quote
This just happened to me today but I did not call ea the devil, it said this Your Electronic Arts Online account has suspended for 72 hours for violating the Terms of Service for Electronic Arts Online.

Violation:
[rape...shep rape to be specific if that helps

. *slits wrists* ]

Yeah and here's the forum topic where I showed pics ea is going nuts I just bought dragon age ultimate addition and can't use any of my damn DLC because I can't access the damn servers wtf! http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6503413/2

First I wasn't even banned from the forums, just from using my DLC via the servers online and in game, but then later I get IP banned all together wtf is going on?
SMIFFYDUDE 13th March 2011, 11:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by karx11erx
I have experienced quite a few mods who are volunteers who were rather young and abused their power for overly restrictive handling of paying customers discussing game bugs and were very easily offended in their tremendous sense of personal dignity when they got criticized for threating people to close their threads or dealing forum users in an unfair manner.

This describes roughly 99.9% of forum/game moderators.
SNIPERMikeUK 13th March 2011, 12:42 Quote
EA sold their souls years ago, I fear a backlash.............I have been got at, really must go now, FIFA 2......0..11.....
jimmyjj 13th March 2011, 12:45 Quote
The guy is a paying customer.

If he is out of order on the forum then ban him from posting on the forum. That's fine.

To remove his ability to use the product he paid for is a disgrace and questionable in terms of its legality.

One day I hope they p*ss of the wrong customer (someone very rich) who takes them to court just for the principle of the thing and humbles them.
Repo 13th March 2011, 12:47 Quote
Quote:
'Consider it an added incentive to follow the rules you say you're going to follow,' said Mr Woo.
That's a very arrogant statement to make, what a tosser!

This sort of attitude just encourages piracy.
Natso 13th March 2011, 17:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoptosis
I guess the poster got his answer?

+1 for that. It's a resounding yes, they have sold their souls.
Hrodwulf666 13th March 2011, 20:29 Quote
It’s not like what he said was offensive. Merely an opinion. Since when are huge companies so delicate and sensitive?? Surely it’s a bit much, a company like this, meeting out punishment on an individual for such a little thing. As For Mr Woo's comment, its very easy to resent your customers, but displaying such apathy and adding to the hurt with pure arrogance could be quite damaging to his business, particularly as EA already had this customers cash safely in their pocket, they would do well to remember who puts the food on their table!
Canon 13th March 2011, 20:43 Quote
So when did Kim Jong Il take over presidency of EA?
Tulatin 14th March 2011, 00:22 Quote
. If a player violates the rules by using profanity, they will be temporarily banned.

That's wonderful. He hadn't used a single profanity, nor broken the TOS. Punished for paying for software, and for speaking his mind. I love this world where the consumer has no rights.
smc8788 14th March 2011, 00:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canon
So when did Kim Jong Il take over presidency of EA?

That sounds like a question for the EA forums :p
sofalover 14th March 2011, 10:32 Quote
Bioware lubes up and pulls apart it's asscheeks with both hands in the 'goatse' position ready for when EA has finished brushing it's teeth in the ensuite bathroom.
LeMaltor 14th March 2011, 11:20 Quote
I didn't buy this game, w00t!
AstralWanderer 14th March 2011, 18:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjj
To remove his ability to use the product he paid for is a disgrace and questionable in terms of its legality.
In a US court it would probably be upheld given the support previously given to EULA terms and conditions in Vernor vs Autodesk.

Ultimately though it is his fault for buying a product that requires online activation in the first place. All such systems, be they from EA, Securom, Ubisoft or Valve, place consumers at the mercy of the publisher and there are examples aplenty of people losing access to purchases due to their accounts being suspended.

I decided to boycott Dragon Age 2 the instant I heard about its online activation requirement and this event should simply confirm the risks involved for anyone else considering it.
Xtrafresh 14th March 2011, 18:29 Quote
Quote:
'Consider it an added incentive to follow the rules you say you're going to follow,' said Mr Woo.
Sorry Mr Woo, but the only incentive you are sending out with these actions are towards pirating your game. Without going into the morality of the whole thing, THAT is the signal you are sending.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums