bit-gamer.net

Beyond Good and Evil HD confirmed

Beyond Good and Evil HD confirmed

Ubisoft has confirmed that it will be releasing a HD version of Beyond Good and Evil on consoles.

Ubisoft has confirmed that it is working on a HD remake of Beyond Good and Evil for release on Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network.

According to IGN, Ubisoft won't be adding any new content to the game apart from HD visuals - it will be the original game, just with remastered graphics and an improved soundtrack. There'll also be Trophies and Achievements too.

No price, PC version or release date have yet been announced for Beyond Good and Evil HD.

Beyond Good and Evil was originally released in 2003 and, though it wasn't as big a sales hit as Ubisoft hoped it would be, the game has since gathered a sizeable following and reputation. It's often held up as a classic game by critics, including us.

Beyond Good and Evil tells the story of Jade, a photojournalist whose world is under attack from an alien race called the Domz. After getting drawn in to a resistance movement Jade suspects a government conspiracy operating behind the conflict and sets out to uncover the truth. Gameplay is roughly in the Zelda mould, mixing combat, stealth and adventure mechanics with a hefty dollop of racing missions and spaceships.

The original [eurl=http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/beyond_good_and_evilBeyond Good and Evil was recently released on Good Old Games[/eurl], should you fancy picking up the classic version. There's a sequel in development too, but little has been heard of it since it was announced back in 2008.

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

29 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Taniniver 30th September 2010, 10:44 Quote
I never played the original, was it actually any good? I haven't played that many Zelda style games.
Mentai 30th September 2010, 10:46 Quote
OH COME ON. The original PC version doesn't even work on modern PC's, even the GOG version has the audio go out of sync for me. The headline had me overjoyed but I'll just be pissed off without a PC version. Mind you, with that Ubi DRM maybe I can do without the remake. Sigh.
Glix 30th September 2010, 10:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentai
OH COME ON. The original PC version doesn't even work on modern PC's, even the GOG version has the audio go out of sync for me. The headline had me overjoyed but I'll just be pissed off without a PC version. Mind you, with that Ubi DRM maybe I can do without the remake. Sigh.

Steam version working alright for me on my i5 750/ati hd4870/msi gd80 running Windows 7 x64. Was a good game, but I don't think updating the textures of the game is going to boost the sales of the game, since it is a 3rd person platforming adventure game which is niche on the PC.
proxess 30th September 2010, 11:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glix
3rd person platforming adventure game which is niche on the PC.

Unless it has HD boobs and buttocks *cough*Lara Croft*cough* You never see anyone criticizing those.
CardJoe 30th September 2010, 11:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentai
OH COME ON. The original PC version doesn't even work on modern PC's, even the GOG version has the audio go out of sync for me. The headline had me overjoyed but I'll just be pissed off without a PC version. Mind you, with that Ubi DRM maybe I can do without the remake. Sigh.

Standard original disc version works fine for me on both XP, Vista and Windows 7...
Unknownsock 30th September 2010, 11:21 Quote
The Steam version works perfectly and I'm sure the GoG one does too..
The graphics don't bother me, what I'd love out of this though is native widescreen support.
TWeaK 30th September 2010, 11:24 Quote
@Mentai - are you running AMD? I had problems with that and a few other games that required a patch for AMD processors - the game was released in the single core era and has been known to have problems (along with several other games) with CPUs with more than 1 core. Can't remember where I got the patch from, but it shouldn't be that hard to find.
banks1990 30th September 2010, 11:43 Quote
Soon we will be full of game remakes with "HD" behind the title...
Florian 30th September 2010, 11:57 Quote
The controls in the original game already felt like a console port (which it probably was, considering that the PS2 version came out at the same time), so the HD remake can't possibly be worse in that regard.

And real widescreen support would be nice too. The original one just stretches.
Parge 30th September 2010, 12:43 Quote
I'll get this for sure!
azrael- 30th September 2010, 12:47 Quote
Release it on the PC and fix the inverted mouse issue and I might give it another shot...
Grape Flavor 30th September 2010, 12:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taniniver
I never played the original, was it actually any good? I haven't played that many Zelda style games.

It's fantastic. I can't guarantee you'll like it but it's a great entry in the genre. I got the Steam version a month ago for $10 and it was great. Make sure to use the letterbox-removing registry entry at WSGF if you get it - you'll appreciate freeing up the display space, especially as there's no method of widescreen support.

You can try the demo if you want but it's pretty unimpressive. Teaches you the rudimentary gameplay and then bam, it's over before the game gets a chance to shine. It'll show you how well it runs on your comp though.

It seems a shame I just bought and finished BG&E and now one month later the remastered version is announced. Oh well, I had fun and who knows if this will come to PC anyway. At least this bringing this to current consoles might arouse interest in BG&E 2.
Er-El 30th September 2010, 13:48 Quote
What would be the point in the HD release for PC when the game is already in 'HD'? There is a way to get it to run at 1920x1080.
GiantStickMan 30th September 2010, 13:54 Quote
I already own an original release copy, but I will still buy this on PSN simply to support it. I would also encourage everyone else in a position do purchase it also (if it doesn't come to PC I mean) to show that there is still interest and drum up some support for the sequel.
WildThing 30th September 2010, 14:34 Quote
"Beyond Good and Evil HD confirmed"

Excellent I thought, until I read:

"No price, PC version or release date have yet been announced for Beyond Good and Evil HD."

:( Will have to try the GOG or Steam version then...
V3ctor 30th September 2010, 14:57 Quote
Bought this game 2 years ago I think, played only 30min or so... I was liking it, but I was having graphic artefacts with my HD4870 and after that with my HD5870... Even with new drivers... That annoyed me, so I never played it again... :(
Krayzie_B.o.n.e. 30th September 2010, 17:08 Quote
If you played this game on PC at 1920 X 1080 then it's already in HD.

I'm sure the new console version won't look any better than a maxed out 2003 PC version.
capnPedro 30th September 2010, 17:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWeaK
@Mentai - are you running AMD? I had problems with that and a few other games that required a patch for AMD processors - the game was released in the single core era and has been known to have problems (along with several other games) with CPUs with more than 1 core. Can't remember where I got the patch from, but it shouldn't be that hard to find.

If it's the same problem that Unreal Tournament 2003 has;
Download ImageCFG.
Backup your .exe before using this program.
Stick imagecfg.exe in the folder with the *.exe file you want to change. Then use this command from a Command prompt window opened in the game's folder (change "game.exe"):

imagecfg -a 0x1 game.exe
V3ctor 30th September 2010, 18:48 Quote
@capnPedro

And does that work with Steam? I just downloaded the game again, and tried it on my mobility HD2600, and I still get some artefacts... But the worst is that the sound is wayyy of it's place... I don't know how to fix this :/
capnPedro 30th September 2010, 19:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by V3ctor
@capnPedro

And does that work with Steam? I just downloaded the game again, and tried it on my mobility HD2600, and I still get some artefacts... But the worst is that the sound is wayyy of it's place... I don't know how to fix this :/

You could try it on the game .exe file located in C:\Steam\steamapps\common\etc. etc., but you may have problems with Steam file verification restoring the unmodded version when you try to run it.

You can manually force processor affinity by running the game, opening Task Manager, right clicking the game in the Applications tab and clicking on 'Go to Process', then right click the process and choose 'Set Affinity'. Make sure only CPU 0 is ticked.
somidiot 30th September 2010, 20:51 Quote
No PC version? Lame, I'm going to get a GOG version then ...
DBA 30th September 2010, 21:12 Quote
The original game was very good, unfortunately I lost my save game on the NGC and so never finished it. Downloaded it on steam but it runs like poo. Would actually buy a (working) HD version for the PC since it is my only gaming platform at the moment.
docodine 30th September 2010, 21:14 Quote
The HD title has nothing to do with the resolution, if you had read the article you'd know that they're just redoing the textures and soundtrack.
geoboy333 30th September 2010, 22:36 Quote
I had it for PS2 and loved it to bits. I must have played it a gazillion times
wuyanxu 30th September 2010, 22:45 Quote
PC version please! they'd be crazy to skip the PC crowd......

or this sequel might just be the game that made me buy a console.
Er-El 1st October 2010, 00:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine
The HD title has nothing to do with the resolution, if you had read the article you'd know that they're just redoing the textures and soundtrack.
Although PC versions of games - especially with last gen of consoles - the PC version has higher resolution textures and higher bit rate audio anyway. So it's probably just a port of the PC version to consoles.
Fizzban 1st October 2010, 02:07 Quote
PC version, want!
V3ctor 1st October 2010, 08:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnPedro

You could try it on the game .exe file located in C:\Steam\steamapps\common\etc. etc., but you may have problems with Steam file verification restoring the unmodded version when you try to run it.

You can manually force processor affinity by running the game, opening Task Manager, right clicking the game in the Applications tab and clicking on 'Go to Process', then right click the process and choose 'Set Affinity'. Make sure only CPU 0 is ticked.

Doesn't work... Never mind... I already deleted it, the sound is way faster than the images...
Krayzie_B.o.n.e. 1st October 2010, 17:31 Quote
A game like this which isn't a mindless cookie cutter shooter, you would think they would cater to the PC crowd.

Oh Well!
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums