bit-gamer.net

Alan Wake PC officially cancelled

Alan Wake PC officially cancelled

Microsoft has officially cancelled the PC version of Alan Wake because the platform is "too intimate" for the game.

Microsoft has officially cancelled plans to release Alan Wake on the PC, ruining the hopes of fans who had hoped the game would not remain an Xbox 360 exclusive.

Although Alan Wake was originally announced as a PC exclusive title five years ago, Remedy announced it was changing focus to make the game an Xbox 360 title last July. Since then it's been unclear whether a PC version would also be released, until Microsoft gave a certain no earlier today.

Interestingly, Microsoft claims that the PC version has been cancelled because the PC platform is "too intimate".

"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen," a Microsoft spokesperson told Strategy Informer.

"We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience Alan Wake was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive. Both Microsoft and Remedy have long histories in PC game development. This decision was about matching this specific game to the right platform."

Microsoft announced a May 21st release date for the Xbox 360 exclusive earlier today.

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

120 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Jack_Pepsi 12th February 2010, 17:53 Quote
-.-

I was looking forward to this as well.
g3n3tiX 12th February 2010, 17:55 Quote
BS. And what about people who play their PC in front of the same screen as their Xbox ? Is there an intimacy difference ?
I am dissapointed. Alan Wake was marketed as "the first game to need/benefit quad core", and now they are simply canceling it.
xaser04 12th February 2010, 17:57 Quote
Oh FFS

Given the original game was a halo child for the Quad core CPU this seems odd.

No doubt some excuse about piracy will be used.
thehippoz 12th February 2010, 17:57 Quote
remember the hype when it was introduced.. alan wake will use all your cores XD whatever
leveller 12th February 2010, 17:58 Quote
MS are ditching the Windows version ... classic.

Next week they'll probably announce that Windows is no more and they are giving up the OS business to focus on 360.
ImInTheZoneBaby 12th February 2010, 18:00 Quote
Intimacy...
Are you f*@king kidding me?

It's a game, I want to play it on my damn PC.
Which, have you know is connected up to a big HD monitor, that I was going to sit back and play on using the damn Xbox controller.

This is bullcrap.
NuTech 12th February 2010, 18:22 Quote
I mentioned in the other thread that this is probably a thinly veiled reaction to the piracy of single player games, but I think this could start something worse.

I'm only speculating (and we probably won't know for quite a while) but I think this could be a turning point for the PC platform. The gaming industry is going to see Microsoft's "too intimate" comment for the nonsense it is, and presume that yet another PC gaming evangelist is jumping ship. Essentially if it's okay for Microsoft to ditch the PC, then why should they risk it?

Hopefully I'm wrong, but it's saddening just now many story driven, single player only games are avoiding the PC. With the sales numbers speaking for themselves, I just wish there was a way to entice publishers back to the PC (which doesn't involve MMO's or FPS's).
NethLyn 12th February 2010, 18:25 Quote
So it's Alan Wake Forever now, and when the console version arrives and you can finish it in a day, it'll be interesting to see the sales figures. Pick it up from Ebay in protest and deny MS the money, if you're going to bother at all.
Spigsy 12th February 2010, 18:27 Quote
Intimacy? Did they just pick a random noun from the dictionary and go with it? That's amongst the worst and most random justification for anything I'd ever heard. (Outside of court)

Utter shite. I hope it flops. Nothing more to say.
glaeken 12th February 2010, 18:30 Quote
I knew this was coming. Microsoft seem to like taking a dump on their own product. It seems silly for any game to be platform specific these days. Why limit yourself to one platform where with a little more work and planning from the beginning you could have sales on all 3 platforms.
VipersGratitude 12th February 2010, 18:32 Quote
it is intimate. my keyboard is covered in pubes.
CardJoe 12th February 2010, 18:35 Quote
Dear Microsoft,

The PC is more intimate, yes. That's why I like it. That's especially why I'd like it for a game like Alan Wake, where a lot of work has presumably gone into the plot and characters and story. I want to fully immerse myself in that and I want to be intimate with the fiction. I don't see why you think it is better to provide a less intimate experience, where I'm not as involved with or attached to the characters. You're essentially saying that you want people to play it on the Xbox 360 so that they can like it less?

There are a lot of good reasons to avoid a PC release. You might be worried about piracy. You might decide you want to target a more casual audience, or that the game is of a type which just wouldn't work well with a keyboard. You might just want to give the Xbox 360 a highly anticipated These reasons are fine. Please though, don't treat me like an idiot and don't just make things up. Give the real reason and respect your audience more.

Also, make GFWL actually work or just GTFO.

Yours,
Joe Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipersGratitude
it is intimate. my keyboard is covered in pubes.

knuck 12th February 2010, 18:37 Quote
no surprise there, really
wiak 12th February 2010, 18:37 Quote
no PC = FAIL
so no suprise ;)
Gunsmith 12th February 2010, 18:37 Quote
**** it.
SchizoFrog 12th February 2010, 18:38 Quote
LMAO!!!

What's the saying?
Something about counting chicks before they hatch???

Its a game. Its their game. Until it is released it is not for any platform. Of course I am just as disappointed as many others are as I do not and will not have an Xbox 360 so I won't be playing Alan Wake now. But so many people are reacting like they have had their favourite toy ripped away from them. PC gaming will continue... or it won't. Crying about it certainly won't change anything. It baffles me that people seem to think that these companies have a responsibility to us. THEY DO NOT. They DO have a responsibility to themselves as a company and to their shareholders. They also have a responsibility to the people who actually BUY the games they produce, represented as patches and fixes for bugs and errors but that is it. Until we hand over our money we mean nothing to them.
tron 12th February 2010, 18:39 Quote
This move by Microsoft doesn't surprise me one bit.

While other developers are seeing the financial benefits of going multiplatform, Microsoft are getting more and more desperately obsessed over the sales of XBOXs.

The only surprise I got from this story is the BS explanation the spokesperson gave. It's incredible that someone with half a brain could give this crap 'intimacy' excuse and expect people not to say BS.

It's a good job most of the games I like are on PC, because I would be p1ssed!
13eightyfour 12th February 2010, 18:43 Quote
very poor reasons imo, OK the PC platform will no doubt suffer more piracy, and on the 360 they gain greater profits. But come on, if you're going to axe a game give a proper reason for it! When is a single player game not intimate?

Idiots
smc8788 12th February 2010, 18:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuTech
I'm only speculating (and we probably won't know for quite a while) but I think this could be a turning point for the PC platform. The gaming industry is going to see Microsoft's "too intimate" comment for the nonsense it is, and presume that yet another PC gaming evangelist is jumping ship. Essentially if it's okay for Microsoft to ditch the PC, then why should they risk it?

I don't see how it would be a turning point. This is a trend which has been steadily increasing for a number of years, and if it was a turning point, then surely GoW 2 or Halo 3 (which were even bigger titles than this) would have been too?
skunkmunkey 12th February 2010, 18:49 Quote
while im inclined to moan, im not all that worried. I have a 360 and a 50" tv. I do prefer pc gaming but the 360 isnt all that bad and I increasing find myself using the 360 in windows anyway.
SoulLance 12th February 2010, 18:59 Quote
Coming from the guys that brought us the piece of **** GFWL....
alecamused 12th February 2010, 19:04 Quote
So with more and more console-only-titles there's less and less need for windows.
oasked 12th February 2010, 19:12 Quote
Oh FFS.

/nuff said.
Faulk_Wulf 12th February 2010, 19:13 Quote
I like my 360. My PC and 360 are hooked to the same TV. I play games on the mediums I prefer: FPS on the PC as much as possible, pretty much everything else on Xbox. (Though I do have a controller for my PC too.) So I don't see the big deal. Why not just buy an Xbox Arcade for $200? Surely its the same as upgrading a GPU anymore.

And before you whine about consolfication killing PC gaming-- get over it. Atari and Nintendo were around ages before PC gaming came into any reasonable existence. Even then we're talking Oregon Trail. Everything might not be Ninten-hard anymore, but there's two main reasons for that:

A) Video Games have gone mainstream. There are going to be more games marketed to more audiences. Surely you don't like every movie to hit the theaters. Same with games. For everyone who hates Guitar Hero/Rock Band -- 40 people love it. Just because it isn't your thing doesn't mean its BAD. Not everything has been over-simplified.

B) Our expectations have risen. Just because there's a lot of fodder out there doesn't mean there aren't gems too.
Project_Nightmare 12th February 2010, 19:33 Quote
Typical console BS, its a marking ploy. If they blame piracy, its just the typical shenanigans.
flibblesan 12th February 2010, 19:35 Quote
fck you, Microsoft... fck you....

and fck Remedy for being sellouts.
technogiant 12th February 2010, 19:39 Quote
Well as I play both my PC and my Xbox360 through the same monitor on the same desk I had better not buy this title just in case I find it too "intimate" in that environment?...Well done guys another sale lost because of lame excuses for not supporting the original and greatest gaming platform....the PC.
D-Cyph3r 12th February 2010, 19:45 Quote
Game will be **** anyways.
azrael- 12th February 2010, 19:58 Quote
I had stopped giving a rat's **** about A.Sleep anyhow, but seriously... "intimacy issues"? Can you seriously come up with anything more daft than that?
frontline 12th February 2010, 20:04 Quote
Quote:
Interestingly, Microsoft claims that the PC version has been cancelled because the PC platform is "too intimate"

Or in other words, "PC users are more discerning and will spot the game's deficiencies in a flash"
V3ctor 12th February 2010, 20:10 Quote
Never mind!! Duke Nukem Forever will come to the PC!
cheeriokilla 12th February 2010, 20:20 Quote
Who even cares about Alan Wake anymore? you will most likely just surrender your A$$$$$$$ to M$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ so you make it more intimate!
SimoomiZ 12th February 2010, 21:04 Quote
kinda funny how Intel chose to use this game to promote quad core gaming - remember one core for physics etc.. Btw, on the subject of Intel and pc gaming, what the hell happened to Intel's amazing looking Project Offset?

Apparently, many are commenting on how in the years since that initial Intel demo, Alan wake has lost its graphical "wow factor" over successive trailers and screenshots . No doubt regressing as the lower tech limitations (esp. vram , gpu) of the console started to really impinge on the artists creativity while they try to keep fps up.

Sadly this is part of a huge, game studio wide trend at the mo, to the point where Nvidia and Ati might have to get their feet wet and become actual game developers or subsidise production more if they want to shift their HW. Recent examples include Bioshock 2- no graphical improvement, Dead space 2 cancelled on PC. Cries of "console port" are being heard everywhere with every new release it seems.
xrain 12th February 2010, 21:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft
"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC developed in a reasonable amount of time so we have some spare budget to port them over, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen took 5 years to develop so we just want them out the door, and recoup our losses."


Fixed;)
Javerh 12th February 2010, 21:43 Quote
^^ Touche!
[PUNK] crompers 12th February 2010, 21:45 Quote
[QUOTE=xrain]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft

Fixed;)

this

i dont see this as the end of pc gaming or anything, just that this game needs to make some money QUICK.

also has anyone thought that the release of Hard Rain may have something to do with this? a PS3 exclusive with new gameplay mechanics? hmmmmm
Journeyer 12th February 2010, 21:53 Quote
So basically they're telling us how we're supposed to enjoy the game and that our own personal tastes are wrong if we prefer playing it on the PC with a mouse/keyboard combination on a 1920*1200 monitor? Well, I'm not surprised at Microsoft's ability to be condescending to their customer base.

*ptooey*
SimoomiZ 12th February 2010, 21:55 Quote
[QUOTE=crompers;2225505]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrain


this

i dont see this as the end of pc gaming or anything, just that this game needs to make some money QUICK.

also has anyone thought that the release of Hard Rain may have something to do with this? a PS3 exclusive with new gameplay mechanics? hmmmmm

Probably right, Remedy seem to have been developing this game forever, posters joked it looked as though it was headed down the DNF path towards vaporware status. If finished two years ago though, it's a pretty safe bet it would've been on PC too.... changing times.
VaLkyR-Assassin 12th February 2010, 22:13 Quote
Well, I hope the game fails spectacularly. I had half given up on it already, but still had some hope for a later release a few months down the line, but this news ends all that. Fingers crossed for poor reviews and sales just to annoy them all.
WildThing 12th February 2010, 22:15 Quote
More bad news. Bah, bunch of morons!. I hate the world. Humbug.>:(
Colossous 12th February 2010, 22:29 Quote
That is really dissapointing - feels like we've been robbed !
Jehla 12th February 2010, 22:37 Quote
Quote:
To ensure maximum enjoyment from this product for yourself and those around you, you must adherer to the following:

1) Remain seated in a couch for the duration of the game
2) Ensure your couch is situated a minimum of 2 meters (6.65 feet) from the display device.
3) This game is not suitable for use on televisions which are of a smaller display area than your computers monitor.

Failure to comply with these guidelines could result in a maximum fine of £5,000 and up to 3 months imprisonment.

I would not be surprised if it's released for PC after a few months, it looks like a way to maximize profits and avoid as much piracy as possible.
devdevil85 12th February 2010, 22:40 Quote
What a joke. MS hates the PC. Piracy is just a copout as we all know that you can pirate games just as easily on 360 as PC nowadays. This whole thing doesn't make any sense to me other than for MS to be able to charge $60 per copy versus $50 and to make PC look inferior.
Centy-face 12th February 2010, 23:06 Quote
Well this is a big surprise.. not! I suspected as much by the fact that they hadn't mentioned the PC version since that intel conference demo. I am a little disappointed by this I liked the look of the game seemed it could have been the 'PC' silent Hill but now we are not to see it.

Shame really good single player games can sell quite well on PC look at Stalker that just came to steam with a superb deal a few of my mates have said they like the loyalty deal so much that now they can afford it they bought it rather than pirate it. Mind you I was giddy as a school boy last night when it came out I bought it right away that might have helped. Also Metro 2033 seems to be selling well. But I guess as usual us paying customers are in the minority.

As for the whole intimacy argument well to be honest for a game based on stories and characters as Joe said the intimacy would really help that along. Seems other reasons are afoot obviously and this half hearted cover up just stinks of the bullshit it is. I guess if thats where Microsoft and Remedy want to go then fine.
Star*Dagger 12th February 2010, 23:30 Quote
Keep MBAs away from pc gaming, and keep microsoft away from gaming, and doubly so MS MBAs!!!

On that note, review STO, BT.
infi 13th February 2010, 00:03 Quote
good for them, one less game to worry about.
unknowngamer 13th February 2010, 00:23 Quote
I had already put a.wake in the same mental box as duke nukem forever.

Over hyped.
No devlopment details.
No Clue.

I'd given it up as a lemon, I expect that explains the xbox only side.
Evenge 13th February 2010, 00:27 Quote
Intimacy? Is that the best MS can come up?
GravitySmacked 13th February 2010, 00:31 Quote
Need to cancel my pre-order from yesteryear then; longest pre-order I've ever had...
tron 13th February 2010, 01:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdevil85
What a joke. MS hates the PC. Piracy is just a copout as we all know that you can pirate games just as easily on 360 as PC nowadays. This whole thing doesn't make any sense to me other than for MS to be able to charge $60 per copy versus $50 and to make PC look inferior.

Microsoft want more PC gamers to buy XBOX consoles

True, you have piracy on the XBOX.

However, I don't think it's so much about piracy that Microsoft are worried about.

Their main focus is to shift more XBOX consoles.

So they want as many XBOX exclusive games as possible.

It doesn't matter that they can make more money by putting the game on all consoles (incl. PC).

What counts for them the most, is that they have a game that many people want, and that the only way to own the game is to first buy an XBOX console.

Which then means you are quite likely to buy more XBOX games in the future. Then Microsoft receive more payments from subsidies as part of the retail price of third party games.

Like others have said, I also have an XBOX. But I still much prefer to game on my more powerful PC connected to the same HDTV and played with the same Microsoft XBOX 360 Controller for Windows, while sitting and relaxing to PC games from the same "non-intimate" couch.
Matticus 13th February 2010, 01:33 Quote
*sigh*
leveller 13th February 2010, 02:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron
Microsoft want more PC gamers to buy XBOX consoles

Fact.
ksiryx 13th February 2010, 04:18 Quote
OMG MS. What's wrong with you.
I wanna dissect those brains to see what they are thinking!
wafflesomd 13th February 2010, 05:00 Quote
Sweet.

Pc gaming is so awesome now....
brave758 13th February 2010, 05:28 Quote
I buy windows to play computer games....... No computer games = No windows. Go **** yourself microsoft you cock sucking knob jockeys.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds
pcnerd 13th February 2010, 06:59 Quote
"We ultimately realised that the most COMPELLING way to experience Alan Wake" . **** remedy and microsoft. This is probably the LAMEST excuse I've heard . It sets a new benchmark besides the all-rounder-piracy. I mean do the developers think the most COMPELLING way to play games and then decide the platform for the release ???? DAMN if i were a suicide bomber I would've surely blown myself near remedy and micro**** offices :D
Elton 13th February 2010, 08:47 Quote
Well, if they were to say...give a legitimate reason we might have understood.

Although they pretty much set off their own bomb.
Xtrafresh 13th February 2010, 10:25 Quote
well ****.

another reason to boycot the xbox
Ape 13th February 2010, 11:11 Quote
The more I re-read this story and see it popping up on forums all over the tech world, and the more I read the forum responses and angry posts, the more wound-up I am getting.

... well, here you go kids, MS has just inserted a rather large phallic symbol up your proverbial's and they've rammed it right on home.

Microsoft have basically issued a statement to say "fk PC gaming, fk PC gamers, we own you all, and you will all buy Xbox 360's because we're ending PC gaming as you know it". They've also sold us Win7 with DX11 and then said "fk you all!"

http://www.pcgamingalliance.org/ - MS chair this crock of ****.

This has made my blood boil. I'm fking angry.

Or is this a mountain out of a mole hill?

Oooooh I could crush a grape!
Grimloon 13th February 2010, 12:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulk_Wulf
I like my 360. My PC and 360 are hooked to the same TV.

My 360 is hooked up to my central 22" monitor and the same 7.1 speaker system as my PC. Sorry, what was your point again? I appear to have missed it.

Alan Wake was one of the DX10 poster children, a reason to "upgrade" to Vista. Dropping it for the PC now just shows how much was hype and how little was substance. Something of a shame as I was rather looking forwards to this one and anything even remotely RPG/story based I prefer to play on the PC.
fingerbob69 13th February 2010, 12:20 Quote
As already mentioned, the failure of this game to appear on PC will no more herald the death of PC gaming than say that of Halo3. This a poor attempt to sell more consoles in a market that is near saturation. Them's that want one have already got one. This game, or any other that is likely to be a Xbox exclusive is unlikely to persuade the few that don't have one to buy one. The PS3 and Xbox are ageing equipment, inferior to PC and would have been replaced already if it weren't for the current economic decline.

I think the most interesting point made so far is that regarding Nvidia and Ati. If these to companies began backing games studios to produce great games for PC first (and so their products) and consoles second then gaming across all platforms would be richer for it while Ati and Nvidia protected their bottom line.
azrael- 13th February 2010, 13:01 Quote
Seems that someone at Microsoft really wants to get "intimate" with a 2x4... :)
Evildead666 13th February 2010, 13:16 Quote
Oh super. Another game I won't be playing....

Ah well, more money for those who do good games for PC....
MrJay 13th February 2010, 13:26 Quote
Cant wait to spend £40 on this -_-
feathers 13th February 2010, 13:57 Quote
It's about boosting sales for 360 console. PC represents a conflict of interest for Microsoft. Getting everyone excited about Alan Wake and then announcing after many years that you will need a 360 to play it is just a ploy to get more 360 sales because that's where the money is. I never liked the 360. Not only was it badly designed initially with its infamous ring of death, I just didn't like the games or find anything "next gen" about it. I was more interested in the PS3. I must say though that project Natal could make a big difference. It represents the future of gaming. I think sitting on a chair pressing keys and moving mouse to control a character is heading for the scrap yard.
Hardware150 13th February 2010, 14:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulk_Wulf
I like my 360. My PC and 360 are hooked to the same TV. I play games on the mediums I prefer: FPS on the PC as much as possible, pretty much everything else on Xbox. (Though I do have a controller for my PC too.) So I don't see the big deal. Why not just buy an Xbox Arcade for $200? Surely its the same as upgrading a GPU anymore.

And before you whine about consolfication killing PC gaming-- get over it. Atari and Nintendo were around ages before PC gaming came into any reasonable existence. Even then we're talking Oregon Trail. Everything might not be Ninten-hard anymore, but there's two main reasons for that:

A) Video Games have gone mainstream. There are going to be more games marketed to more audiences. Surely you don't like every movie to hit the theaters. Same with games. For everyone who hates Guitar Hero/Rock Band -- 40 people love it. Just because it isn't your thing doesn't mean its BAD. Not everything has been over-simplified.

B) Our expectations have risen. Just because there's a lot of fodder out there doesn't mean there aren't gems too.

There has always been gaming on personal computers, with the sinclair zx81, bbc micro etc, these type of systems are in my opinion the forerunners of the personal computer we know and love today.

Although i have never really cared about this title, it still shocks me that a title that was suppose to use all the power of as quad core cpu and having been announced way back at E3 2005, has had its pc version shelved this late in its development, and for such a poor reason if you believe the press statement.

Saying that, if the game was going to be released on the pc still it looks as if it was going to be another crappy console port so meh.

Also yes, i am a pc fanboy, i feel out of love with consoles having been a fan since my first atari and master syster. Always loved commodore 64's, amiga's and then PC's tho X;

Will this announcement mark the end of mainstream developers making games for the PC? I doubt it, but maybe more crappy console ports can just stay on consoles and not be ported, then developers who actually want to develop for the PC can take advantage of the vastly superior hardware and shake of the constraints of consoles when making games.
feathers 13th February 2010, 14:39 Quote
I think Microsoft has played a big role in the destruction of PC gaming. It's in their interest to get gamers away from PC and onto their console. In a way you can understand this because PC hardware tends to be much more expensive and the 360 by comparison is much more affordable. I have never been a great console fan because I hate an detest those joypad controllers.

I stay away from console games because I detest those controllers so much. If motion sensing becomes the norm then I may just make the switch.
SNIPERMikeUK 13th February 2010, 15:33 Quote
As long as Splinter Cell still comes to PC, not all is lost....
theflatworm 13th February 2010, 17:27 Quote
If the issue was piracy then I'm pretty sure they'd have come out and said it. It MUST be about sales of Xboxes. No-one in their right might is going to say: 'we're trying to force you onto our most profitable platform by taking away all the goodies for other ones' in a press release. So they had some lame-brain in PR foist us with the first thing that came into their head.

What I really wonder, is why people thought PC owner as a demographic are generally thick enough to buy such blatant bunk. Now console owners... I really wanted to play this game too. *******s.

p.s. Ok, I didn't really mean that about console owners. Some of by best friends have Playstations. Honest.
perplekks45 13th February 2010, 18:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Dear Microsoft,

The PC is more intimate, yes. That's why I like it. That's especially why I'd like it for a game like Alan Wake, where a lot of work has presumably gone into the plot and characters and story. I want to fully immerse myself in that and I want to be intimate with the fiction. I don't see why you think it is better to provide a less intimate experience, where I'm not as involved with or attached to the characters. You're essentially saying that you want people to play it on the Xbox 360 so that they can like it less?

There are a lot of good reasons to avoid a PC release. You might be worried about piracy. You might decide you want to target a more casual audience, or that the game is of a type which just wouldn't work well with a keyboard. You might just want to give the Xbox 360 a highly anticipated These reasons are fine. Please though, don't treat me like an idiot and don't just make things up. Give the real reason and respect your audience more.

Also, make GFWL actually work or just GTFO.

Yours,
Joe Martin
QFT

All in there that needs to be said.
Warrior24_7 13th February 2010, 22:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/02/12/alan-wake-pc-officially-cancelled/1

Microsoft has officially cancelled the PC version of Alan Wake, making the game a permanent Xbox 360 exclusive.

DAAAAAAaaaammmmmnnnnn!!!!
Warrior24_7 13th February 2010, 22:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
I think Microsoft has played a big role in the destruction of PC gaming. It's in their interest to get gamers away from PC and onto their console. In a way you can understand this because PC hardware tends to be much more expensive and the 360 by comparison is much more affordable. I have never been a great console fan because I hate an detest those joypad controllers.

I stay away from console games because I detest those controllers so much. If motion sensing becomes the norm then I may just make the switch.

So let me get this straight, you hate the controllers so much that you'd rather act like a mime in front of your TV? Bwhahahahaha!!!
tennisball 13th February 2010, 22:54 Quote
What about to say "wonder how long before Warrior posts"
But, well, too late -_-

EDIT: Lets not turn this thread into a PCvsConsole debate.
knuck 14th February 2010, 00:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisball
What about to say "wonder how long before Warrior posts"
But, well, too late -_-

EDIT: Lets not turn this thread into a PCvsConsole debate.

agreed, let's not

*looks at warrior
ChaosDefinesOrder 14th February 2010, 03:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
Dear Microsoft,

The PC is more intimate, yes. That's why I like it. That's especially why I'd like it for a game like Alan Wake, where a lot of work has presumably gone into the plot and characters and story. I want to fully immerse myself in that and I want to be intimate with the fiction. I don't see why you think it is better to provide a less intimate experience, where I'm not as involved with or attached to the characters. You're essentially saying that you want people to play it on the Xbox 360 so that they can like it less?

There are a lot of good reasons to avoid a PC release. You might be worried about piracy. You might decide you want to target a more casual audience, or that the game is of a type which just wouldn't work well with a keyboard. You might just want to give the Xbox 360 a highly anticipated These reasons are fine. Please though, don't treat me like an idiot and don't just make things up. Give the real reason and respect your audience more.

Also, make GFWL actually work or just GTFO.

Yours,
Joe Martin

Please tell me you actually sent that to Microsoft! That would be awesome, if somewhat futile...
riggs 14th February 2010, 03:41 Quote
I've been a PC gamer for ages, but a couple of years ago decided to buy a console. Didn't see the point in getting a 360 so bought myself a PS3 (which I've been very happy with). I figured that the only 360 "exclusives" I was interested in would more-than-likely be available for the PC.
I was looking forward to Alan Wake but you can think again if you're expecting me to pick up a 360 for it. Why on earth would I want to spend money on an american electronics product (console) when I've already got a perfectly suitable japanese model?
GiantStickMan 14th February 2010, 05:06 Quote
Quote:
"Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen,"

That is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. Most new TV's give you inputs for HDMI, DVI or VGA and even the average laptop can output using one of these connectors. The days of your TV being just for your console are well behind us. I'd say I speak for a lot of people who hook their PC's up to a big TV and surround sound system for their gaming. What's the REAL reason Microsoft...?
knuck 14th February 2010, 07:14 Quote
most likely piracy, tbh
crazyceo 14th February 2010, 10:06 Quote
Alan who?
Gunsmith 14th February 2010, 14:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghys
most likely piracy, tbh

tbh my money is on it being that heavy rain comes out on the ps3 around the same time. I'm also betting that serveral magazines will be getting under the table handjobs to give top reviews as well.

/me feeds crazyceo an energon stick.
LeMaltor 14th February 2010, 14:57 Quote
Lost interest when I heard it would be out on 360 as well, console was bound to hold the game back on PC anyway.
knuck 14th February 2010, 19:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith
tbh my money is on it being that heavy rain comes out on the ps3 around the same time. I'm also betting that serveral magazines will be getting under the table handjobs to give top reviews as well.

/me feeds crazyceo an energon stick.

so what if heavy rain comes out on the ps3 ? It's not like a released of the same game on two platforms would hurt the sales or something. What is your point exactly ? :)
crazyceo 14th February 2010, 20:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghys
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith
tbh my money is on it being that heavy rain comes out on the ps3 around the same time. I'm also betting that serveral magazines will be getting under the table handjobs to give top reviews as well.

/me feeds crazyceo an energon stick.

so what if heavy rain comes out on the ps3 ? It's not like a released of the same game on two platforms would hurt the sales or something. What is your point exactly ? :)

He gave me an energon stick!
docodine 14th February 2010, 22:38 Quote
Doesn't MS realize that the gaming aspect of Windows is one of the few remaining reasons why the average PC user hasn't switched to Mac?
knuck 14th February 2010, 23:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
He gave me an energon stick!

What ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine
Doesn't MS realize that the gaming aspect of Windows is one of the few remaining reasons why the average PC user hasn't switched to Mac?

It's actually because PCs are cheaper and it's also because it's what most of the people started using first and therefore they keep buying what they know.

Show people how to learn something and they will use it and ditch whatever they were using before. Firefox is a good example of that over IE. The same could happen with Windows if macs weren't so ridiculously expensive

As stupid as the consumer is, when you have millions of them looking for the best product, eventually they will find it and ignore what they used to use. Another good example of this is the PS2 players switching to the 360 even though they thought the original Xbox was crap

You and I are also part of this. I use a PC because I am used to Windows and hate the mac interface (I tried it a few times and thought it was incredibly bad) BUT who knows what I will do in the future. Maybe at some point I will be forced to work on a mac and then learn to like it and ditch the pc
Gunsmith 14th February 2010, 23:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
He gave me an energon stick!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghys
What ?



CzE2BoNW6bc
knuck 15th February 2010, 00:00 Quote
this is a few years before my time ... I was part of the Ninja Turtles generation :D
Gunsmith 15th February 2010, 00:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghys
this is a few years before my time ... I was part of the Ninja Turtles generation :D

its only the best goddamn film of all time!

I take it you're a 1990's kid?
knuck 15th February 2010, 00:13 Quote
I was born in 1985 so yeah, I was
Gunsmith 15th February 2010, 00:14 Quote
hmm I was 82 and im deffo an 80's kid
sHORNY 15th February 2010, 00:20 Quote
more clientèle on the 360 than the pc. i mean look at the pc sales for mw2 compared to the 360/ps3 versions. pc scrapped the barrel with the amount of sales compared to the 360 version.
knuck 15th February 2010, 00:23 Quote
mw2 is a completely different story ... It's also a subject that was debated to death so I'll say only one thing regarding PC sales for this game : dedicated servers
crazyceo 15th February 2010, 09:45 Quote
Bar Weep, Graaagnah wheep, Ni Ni Bong!!!!!!!

It's the Universal greeting.
veato 15th February 2010, 10:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by docodine
Doesn't MS realize that the gaming aspect of Windows is one of the few remaining reasons why the average PC user hasn't switched to Mac?

Thats 100% correct in my case. I mainly use my PC for Internet/Email, photo editing and gaming, plus a bit of the usual PC usage stuff. Being as my gaming on the PC has fallen into serious decline (stopped playing WOW and ARMA II as I dont seem to find the time to get on the PC with a new baby) I dont really have a need for a gaming PC. I could get a quieter, smaller nicer looking iMac for all the other stuff and drop the gaming (I also have a 360 for the odd bit of casual gaming).

The fewer titles come out on PC the more likely I am to drop the gaming hardware altogether to be honest, thus I no longer need Windows-whatever-version.
Ape 15th February 2010, 11:35 Quote
Question arises. What happens to all the dedicated hardware for PC gaming enthusiasts? We don't spend thousands of pounds building the best we can only to have M$ drop support and if support IS going to get dropped then we won't be buying all this:

Powerful PSU's
Quality Cases
Powerful Mobo's
Powerful RAM
Powerful Sound Cards
Powerful CPU's
Fast HDD's
Faster SSD's
Powerful GFX Cards
Gaming Mice
Gaming Keyboards
Gaming Controllers
Gaming Flight Sticks
Gaming Steering Wheels
Gaming Headsets
Microphones
Headphones
Speaker Systems (2, 3.1, 5.1, 7.1 etc)
High Resolution Monitors
Augmented Reality Kits (like Novint Falcon & Brain Actuator)
3D Monitors
3D Systems
Gaming Laptops

What are the manufacturers going to do when we stop spending our money on their hardware? They make a huge amount of their income from selling the bog-standard stuff, but it is selling the top-of-the-line stuff that keeps them researching and moving forward and spending on R&D budgets.
crazyceo 15th February 2010, 12:16 Quote
LMAO! the previous two posts do sound like it's the end of the world!

Ain't gonna happen! Just because this game about some bloke called Alan doesn't get ported to PC, it doesn't mean the death of PC gaming!
_Metal_Guitar_ 15th February 2010, 12:28 Quote
I'm sorry, but this seems like exactly the kind of game that could benefit from a more 'intimate' experience. I was under the impression thats its supposed to be a more psychological-horror-thriller, not some loud mouthed action game, exaclty the kind of game you want to be close to your face, not across a damn room. Even plugging my computer into a HD 40" TV completely ruins immersion for me in everything apart from racers. Why the hell is Microsoft trying to bring out new features such as DX11 and a new opertaing system when they won't even support the damn things themsleves.

Also, gamers across the X360, PS3 and PC spectrum should just flat out refuse exclusives because in the long run, its going to come back and bite all of us in the ass. If you run any of the gaming systems into the ground, the last system standing is going to be able to charge anything they want. Even dedicated console users NEED the other systems to keep it all competative. In fact I might even go so far as to say all gamers SHOULD pirate exclusives, just get the message across that we don't want this bulls*** anymore.

End rant.
tron 15th February 2010, 13:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ape
What are the manufacturers going to do when we stop spending our money on their hardware?

They will have to set up a PC Gaming Alliance :)

Seriously, if things were to get too bad, then these manufacturers would have to take action to protect their income.

For as long as Microsoft are putting all their weight behind the XBOX, then they cannot (should not) have any membership with any kind of PC Gaming Alliance.

http://www.pcgamingalliance.org/
veato 15th February 2010, 13:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
LMAO! the previous two posts do sound like it's the end of the world!

Ain't gonna happen! Just because this game about some bloke called Alan doesn't get ported to PC, it doesn't mean the death of PC gaming!

I never said it was. I agreeing with a previous poster that the only thing from keeping me tied into a PC is gaming, as everything else I could do elsewhere. As support for PC gaming is dropped by some (as it has been by others e.g. Epic and not just MS/Alan Wake) there's less and less reason for me to have a MS fronted PC.
uz1_l0v3r 15th February 2010, 13:11 Quote
I've heard it all now. That's the biggest load of PR bullshit I've heard in a long time.
el_diablo_72 15th February 2010, 13:48 Quote
I wouldn't get upset - they'd have probably made a hash of it anyway.

Have you tried playing Halo2 on Windows 7?

Windows game=not compatible with windows. Nice!
Zut 15th February 2010, 14:24 Quote
Microsoft - Get this into your thick skulls... I WILL NEVER NEVER BUY AN XBOX, and canning AAA titles like this only makes me hate you more. Noone buys this "intimacy" BS.

F**k Microsoft.
veato 15th February 2010, 14:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_diablo_72
I wouldn't get upset - they'd have probably made a hash of it anyway.

Have you tried playing Halo2 on Windows 7?

Windows Vista exclusive game=not compatible with windows 7. Nice!

edited for accuracy :|
feathers 15th February 2010, 16:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior24_7
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
I think Microsoft has played a big role in the destruction of PC gaming. It's in their interest to get gamers away from PC and onto their console. In a way you can understand this because PC hardware tends to be much more expensive and the 360 by comparison is much more affordable. I have never been a great console fan because I hate an detest those joypad controllers.

I stay away from console games because I detest those controllers so much. If motion sensing becomes the norm then I may just make the switch.

So let me get this straight, you hate the controllers so much that you'd rather act like a mime in front of your TV? Bwhahahahaha!!!

Exactly right. Sitting it a PC with mouse and keys to control a game is as lame as sitting in front of a TV with a dumbass joypad. It only seems normal to you because you don't have anything better.
Cyberpower-UK 15th February 2010, 17:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImInTheZoneBaby
Intimacy...
Are you f*@king kidding me?

It's a game, I want to play it on my damn PC.
Which, have you know is connected up to a big HD monitor, that I was going to sit back and play on using the damn Xbox controller.

This is bullcrap.
Same here, only I use a PS3 pad emulating and XBOX controller.

I think this has more to do with XBOX needing an Uncharted2 type 'exclusive'
metarinka 15th February 2010, 21:04 Quote
been in development so long, either trying to cash in now. OR graphics have begun to lag and the assets look fine on xbox but would need updating for PC.

how can PR types say those reasons with a straight face.
Ape 15th February 2010, 23:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by metarinka
how can PR types say those reasons with a straight face.

QFT!

It's the same with the bloody MP's. They get asked any difficult question and then spend the next 15 minutes waffling around the subject and not answering the question.

Why do these aholes think that is ok?
scrumble 16th February 2010, 14:34 Quote
I wonder if MS have really thought this through. With this move they've signalled to everyone that the company whose main business is the PC, are ditching that platform. Take away gaming, what compunction do most users have for having a windows based PC? Away from games, everything I need my pc to do can be done with Linux.

Looks like I'll be dressing i a penguin suit before long
Redbeaver 16th February 2010, 15:18 Quote
one way to avoid (or at least, reduce) piracy i see.... damn MS.....
knuck 16th February 2010, 20:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by metarinka
been in development so long, either trying to cash in now. OR graphics have begun to lag and the assets look fine on xbox but would need updating for PC.

how can PR types say those reasons with a straight face.

this might actually be the reason that makes the most sense. I can't really imagine an engine being so good that 5 years later it would still be up to date
veato 17th February 2010, 12:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghys
this might actually be the reason that makes the most sense. I can't really imagine an engine being so good that 5 years later it would still be up to date

Crysis? Its still used as a benchmark now and thats getting on a bit.
tron 17th February 2010, 13:21 Quote
Yeah, it's not the age of the engine, but the original quality of the engine. That's why Crysis still looks good today.
PingCrosby 17th February 2010, 23:16 Quote
It'll be out on PC after a year when the xbox sales have dried up.
knuck 18th February 2010, 00:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by veato
Crysis? Its still used as a benchmark now and thats getting on a bit.

something better looking will certainly be released before crysis is 5 years old unless of course there is some kind of reverted revolution that would stop evolution (like the consoles are doing, but worse)
_Metal_Guitar_ 19th February 2010, 01:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghys
something better looking will certainly be released before crysis is 5 years old unless of course there is some kind of reverted revolution that would stop evolution (like the consoles are doing, but worse)

Yeah, Crysis 2 most likely.
AWowzer 20th February 2010, 01:15 Quote
the real issue is this year the large number of sony owned studios/studios that develop only for playstation is finally paying off in terms of ps3 exclusives. heavy rain, god of war 3, gran turismo 5 (maybe). greatness of exclusives are up for debate but they are exclusives none the less. also now ps3 is actually around the same price as xbox 360 with the rip off wireless adaptor added in and has a blu ray built in, ps3 is selling about one and a half times the units of 360. so 360 needs its exclusives.

360 will get a boost from natal, but i am not so sure how much it can be used for hardcore games. the ps3 wand takes the natal plus point of camera sensing accuracy but also gives you buttons to press so it can be used for fps and other hardcore types of games. natal cant detect finger movements, so how do you fire a gun? shout boom boom? yes i am a ps3 fanboy but thats because i weighed up carefully the pros and cons of ps3 vs 360 and i easily chose ps3
geoboy333 17th February 2012, 01:35 Quote
Just saw the release on steam and remembered this article. It appears they've gone ahead and made a PC version so this article is now outdated.
megadriveguy 17th February 2012, 05:38 Quote
No **** :)

It was only written 2 years ago
NethLyn 17th February 2012, 15:16 Quote
Well to be fair at least they didn't brand it a "Windows 8 Exclusive" like they did with Vista and Halo 2 :)
Unicorn 19th February 2012, 16:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoboy333
Just saw the release on steam and remembered this article. It appears they've gone ahead and made a PC version so this article is now outdated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by megadriveguy
No **** :)

It was only written 2 years ago

Still, seeing it at the top of the Article Discussion forum without actually having read the article and knowing that AW had just been released on Steam, had me thoroughly confused! :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by NethLyn
Well to be fair at least they didn't brand it a "Windows 8 Exclusive" like they did with Vista and Halo 2 :)



Oh don't reemind me I still have my copies of Halo and Halo 2 for the PC.

"Games for Windows. Requires Windows Vista"


:( :( :(
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums