bit-gamer.net

Modern Warfare 2 has third-person view

Modern Warfare 2 has third-person view

Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling has confirmed the existence of a third person view in Modern Warfare 2.

Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling has confirmed the existence of a third person view in the upcoming and highly anticipated Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 in a comment to Joystiq.

According to Bowling, otherwise known as FourTwoZero, the third person view option is nothing more than "another awesome way to play the game" and one which doesn't indicate a radical change in gameplay for the series.

In fact, while the rollout of IWNet has controversially means that Modern Warfare 2 will have little in the form of mod support and dedicated servers, the third person option will only be available in specially set up servers.

"It's not something you can toggle on and off in ANY game," said Bowling, who explained that it would a multiplayer-only option for private matches and dedicated playlists.

Functioning similarly to COD4's 'Hardcore Mode', the third person option applies to everybody on that server and cannot be toggled on or off mid-match as it exists as a server setting.

"You obviously will still have the option to play gametypes normal as well," elaborated Bowling.

Bowling was reluctant to dish out many more details though and promises that more information on this "awesome way to play" will be coming in "a new awesome trailer" that Infinity Ward has got lined up for release soon. Awesome.

Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

44 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Baz 27th October 2009, 13:10 Quote
Does this mean I can play as a sexy lady so I don't have to stare at macho man butt for the whole game? I didn't play Gears of War for the sole reason I didn't want to spend 10 hours looking up Marcus Denix's chuff.
gavomatic57 27th October 2009, 13:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardJoe
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/10/27/modern-warfare-2-has-third-person-view/1

Infinity Ward has confirmed a third person view option in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.

WHY?! Next they'll announce a cartoon-like visual style and goblins!
AngusW 27th October 2009, 13:21 Quote
Next they'll be telling us that dedicated servers are being removed... oh wait :P I'll get my coat...
smc8788 27th October 2009, 13:23 Quote
I have to say, out of a list of all the things I would like to see in a first person shooter, a third person camera option ranks somewhere between last and bottom.
rjkoneill 27th October 2009, 13:27 Quote
fail
Cobalt 27th October 2009, 13:44 Quote
Its amazing that despite the huge success of their game in the past they seem intent on turning it into Gears.
gavomatic57 27th October 2009, 13:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt
Its amazing that despite the huge success of their game in the past they seem intent on turning it into Gears.

I think the huge success is the problem. They either think they can chuck out any old junk and it'll sell because of the name, or they actually believe that what they are doing is destined for greatness. If Infinity Ward were Metallica, MW2 could be their St Anger moment...
BradShort 27th October 2009, 14:11 Quote
FPS or F&TPS . . . .

just please leave it alone, and pump out a new version every couple of years. We want FPS on Dedi servers with new gfx, newer maps and some changes in the perks . . . .
DeathAwaitsU 27th October 2009, 14:15 Quote
This games going to sh*t, i'm not so sure i even want it anymore :/
Orionche 27th October 2009, 14:56 Quote
Keep those nails coming, IW. Plenty of room on the coffin with CoD inside. :)
Tsung 27th October 2009, 15:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz
Does this mean I can play as a sexy lady so I don't have to stare at macho man butt for the whole game? I didn't play Gears of War for the sole reason I didn't want to spend 10 hours looking up Marcus Denix's chuff.

ROFL.. made me laugh..:D

Nope, the next annoucement will be a Next-Gen Filter giving the game a Gritty Realistic Effect.
Ficky Pucker 27th October 2009, 15:26 Quote
fail, i can't wait to hear about another great "feature" in MW2, lol.
AlexB 27th October 2009, 15:31 Quote
This has gone from my most antisipated game of 2009, to my least. Sweet deal.
DragunovHUN 27th October 2009, 15:35 Quote
Quote:

According to Bowling, otherwise known as FourTwoZero

FourZeroTwo actually.
Xir 27th October 2009, 15:37 Quote
...oh good, couple it with auto-aim, and preferrably, auto-walk then I can play while AFK...

WHATFOR?
knuck 27th October 2009, 15:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by gavomatic57
I think the huge success is the problem. They either think they can chuck out any old junk and it'll sell because of the name, or they actually believe that what they are doing is destined for greatness. If Infinity Ward were Metallica, MW2 could be their St Anger moment...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xir
...oh good, couple it with auto-aim, and preferrably, auto-walk then I can play while AFK...

WHATFOR?

ROFL @ the news and those two quotes

have some rep ! :D

It's sad for Infinity Ward however It kind of looks like they're addicted to crack or something now and all we can do is stand there and watch in awe as they turn into a freak show
fodder 27th October 2009, 16:04 Quote
Well, they will be some seriously quiet servers then.

AWSOME fail!!!!!!
Flip 27th October 2009, 16:11 Quote
"According to Bowling, otherwise known as FourTwoZero"

I know of a few other names hes known by.
NoMod 27th October 2009, 16:18 Quote
O



M



G,



F


A


I


L...

(a vertical 'fail' post for a sinking so fast it's f-ing vertical game)
Gunsmith 27th October 2009, 16:24 Quote
children go YAY

retardds
Kenny79 27th October 2009, 16:36 Quote
What the f*** are these guys smoking now !

Are they trying to seeing how bad a game they can make or what?

one word FAIL
Unknownsock 27th October 2009, 16:44 Quote
I don't see the problem? You don't have to use it.
Obviously it wont have taken long to input this feature as most games have it hidden anyway.
Panos 27th October 2009, 16:56 Quote
Since it's an extra option don't see the point why people complain. Also the no-dendicated servers "law", is understandable to be honest.
It will stop pirated copies to be used on dendicated servers that allow them.

I'm going to buy it, if it has MP playability, lasting as long as the BF2 did. Or else BF1942 when comes out next year :(
delriogw 27th October 2009, 17:04 Quote
already half been said but...
FIRST person shooter

clue's in the name guys lol.

the irony is the sales were climbing again on amazon after the whole dedi servers fiasco.
delriogw 27th October 2009, 17:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos
Since it's an extra option don't see the point why people complain. Also the no-dendicated servers "law", is understandable to be honest.
It will stop pirated copies to be used on dendicated servers that allow them.

I'm going to buy it, if it has MP playability, lasting as long as the BF2 did. Or else BF1942 when comes out next year :(

sorry for double post but wanted to quote this.

games like BF2 last as long as they do because of the modding community.

no dedi servers means no mods......
ZERO <ibis> 27th October 2009, 17:09 Quote
Cool maybe I will run a server for this game after all, oh wait I can not!

I hear in MW2 you can play the first 4th person FPS! You will play in first person of a player playing a 3rd person first person shooter! That is so many persons that it is more like FIVE! In fact in the DLC expansion (89.99$) you can even play in third person second person third person in the first person shooter. It like watching a person watching a person playing a person all in the wondrous first person environment.
Star*Dagger 27th October 2009, 18:03 Quote
This is like reading a textbook titled "How to sink a successful game franchise, in 10 idiotic steps that only an MBA would think is a good idea!"
Rocket_Knight64 27th October 2009, 18:41 Quote
Time to add a fully hacker explotable questionable feature, but not servers..? F A I L

lol @ the Metallica quote. It probably quite true.
Stormwulf 27th October 2009, 18:42 Quote
The only "Awesome" thing i see about this game now is the Awesome failure to release something their customers actually want!!
bogie170 27th October 2009, 19:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragunovHUN
Quote:

According to Bowling, otherwise known as FourTwoZero

FourZeroTwo actually.

I'd just like to call him ZERO from now on because thats probably his IQ.
infered101 27th October 2009, 19:23 Quote
People complain because they have nothing better to do. Ok we get it your not going to buy the game. I play it on the Xbox360 so really i have no problem with any thing IW has done.

Oh and to all those saying the game will fail. Sure in the pc market, but guess what it will be great in the console market. Oh and when that happens they will STOP MAKING IT FOR THE PC. So to all those out there that are B*tching, "Fail to you" as your bringing the PC genre to an end. Good Job Team. Maybe next time you will learn that all your Cries are just forcing companies to move away from the PC market becuase they dont want to deal with all the little girls that comprise it.

My opinions so hate them love them WHO CARES. I sure dont.
hrp8600 27th October 2009, 19:35 Quote
If pc gamming ever stops , console develpment will slow to a near stop as there won't be and thing to play catch up with, GFX card manufactures will cease to develop fro any one and the world will end
carfull what you wish for, you might just get it. :)
there can be only one
infered101 27th October 2009, 19:40 Quote
Hey im a PC gamer to but im also someone who can foresee what happening. In a business since if you have 2 markets and one is ever complaining and hard to deal with, while the other is willing to spend money out of a whimm, then which would you go for. This fanatical pc gamers who always complain hurt there own cases. Console market is much better then it use to. Companies are focusing more money there now than ever. If PC gamers act like they are now with MW2 then companies will abandon them.

You are correct HRP that it might slow for awhile but it will pick up. Entertainment is funny that way, the money will always be there to be spent. Whether on the PC or the console. With the way people are acting in regards to this game i would put my money on Consoles dominating.
smc8788 27th October 2009, 19:46 Quote
I think the point isn't necessarily that this is a bad thing, it's just that it's completely unnecessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by infered101
your bringing the PC genre to an end

The Portable Computer isn't a genre, genius.

And if IW no longer supports the PC platform then it wouldn't be because we're complaining, it would be because they weren't making enough money from it (and even that's relative - what they don't consider 'enough' is more than a lot of developers could ever dream of).

So yeah, I'll keep my PC thanks, and it would be no skin off my nose if I don't ever play another CoD game on it, because I'd rather give my money to developers who deserve it.
Chocobollz 27th October 2009, 21:02 Quote
I think a 3rd person view is a good addition if it can be turned on and off as much as we like. Just like the original Operation Flashpoint...
ZERO <ibis> 27th October 2009, 21:10 Quote
If the games suck and we are not going to play them then is there really a point to even making them for the PC and for that matter do we lose anything.... not really.
Stormwulf 28th October 2009, 00:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by infered101
People complain because they have nothing better to do. Ok we get it your not going to buy the game. I play it on the Xbox360 so really i have no problem with any thing IW has done.

Oh and to all those saying the game will fail. Sure in the pc market, but guess what it will be great in the console market. Oh and when that happens they will STOP MAKING IT FOR THE PC. So to all those out there that are B*tching, "Fail to you" as your bringing the PC genre to an end. Good Job Team. Maybe next time you will learn that all your Cries are just forcing companies to move away from the PC market becuase they dont want to deal with all the little girls that comprise it.

My opinions so hate them love them WHO CARES. I sure dont.

Fair play its your opinion and i respect it, but the point is without pc development console games will stagnate as will the platforms themselves but consoe gamers will be forced to pay ludicrous sums of money for poor quality games and lack of platform development whilst still dealing with constant hardware failures and lacklustre responses from the people responsible.

Does this sound like a happy future to you? All gamers should stick together irrespective of platform to make sure none of us get a raw deal.
b5k 28th October 2009, 03:55 Quote
People say that they can afford to lose PC gamers as customers because they have the console gamers....But what happens when the console gamers develop a gaming memory?

"Hey guys! Have you heard?! IW aren't releasing MW4 with Dedicated support for Xbox 900!"

**** always comes full circle.
kenco_uk 28th October 2009, 10:56 Quote
Hopefully this COD is the blip that NFS:Undercover was.
Furymouse 28th October 2009, 16:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenco_uk
Hopefully this COD is the blip that NFS:Undercover was.

Or NFS:Carbon :P

It seems like an interesting way to be able to watch yourself teabag somebody but as for any advantage it may give to gameplay, I see none.

Gimmicks covering up a subpar product
Interloper 28th October 2009, 16:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZERO <ibis>
Cool maybe I will run a server for this game after all, oh wait I can not!

I hear in MW2 you can play the first 4th person FPS! You will play in first person of a player playing a 3rd person first person shooter! That is so many persons that it is more like FIVE! In fact in the DLC expansion (89.99$) you can even play in third person second person third person in the first person shooter. It like watching a person watching a person playing a person all in the wondrous first person environment.

My brain hurts.....
cjmUK 28th October 2009, 18:41 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock
I don't see the problem? You don't have to use it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos
Since it's an extra option don't see the point why people complain.

As other have pointed out already, the FP in FPS does not stand for 'Fird Person'. This type of feature is not automatically built in but hidden. It specifically need to be developed - which takes time away from more worthwhile pursuits such as, taking a random example, a modding platform and proper dedicated server support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrp8600
If pc gamming ever stops , console develpment will slow to a near stop as there won't be and thing to play catch up with, GFX card manufactures will cease to develop fro any one and the world will end

A bit melodramatic but we take your point. Just think of all the technological advances in today's road cars - many of them are directly attributable to Formula 1. Without PCs, there is no hardware arms race - console developers can ease of and simply regurgitate the same stuff on the same hardware. There will be little aspiration for improvement.
spectre456 28th October 2009, 23:14 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZERO <ibis>
Cool maybe I will run a server for this game after all, oh wait I can not!

I hear in MW2 you can play the first 4th person FPS! You will play in first person of a player playing a 3rd person first person shooter! That is so many persons that it is more like FIVE! In fact in the DLC expansion (89.99$) you can even play in third person second person third person in the first person shooter. It like watching a person watching a person playing a person all in the wondrous first person environment.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii62/spectre117/xzibitcut.jpg
dinjo_jo 29th October 2009, 02:14 Quote
Does this Third Person is also available in Single Player ?
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums