bit-gamer.net

BioShock coming to Macs

BioShock coming to Macs

BioShock will be ported to Apple Macs by Feral Interactive, who hope to release it this October.

Feral Interactive has announced that it will be porting BioShock to Macs and that it hopes to have the Apple-friendly version of the 2007 hit out in just a few weeks.

To play the Mac version of the game you'll need a 1.8GHz Intel Mac with at least 1.5GB RAM, a 128MB graphics card, DVD drive and 8GB of hard disk space, running OSX 10.5.8 or later.

Feral Interactive has warned that the game has problems running on Intel GMA integrated graphics chips, but that it should run fine on the latest series of MacBooks and Mac Minis.

Feral is hoping to get the port turned around very quickly, which will either be very good or very bad news, and plans to have the game on shelves by October 7th. This year, obviously.

If you're desperate to get hold of the critically acclaimed game then Feral is currently accepting pre-orders via their online store, priced at £34.99.

If you're unsure whether you'd be interested in the game then you can check out our BioShock review for more details. The rest of you can head to the forums and argue about which is better; Mac or PC.

33 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Jack_Pepsi 25th September 2009, 13:10 Quote
Meh!
mi1ez 25th September 2009, 13:12 Quote
This should be funny...
Delphium 25th September 2009, 13:25 Quote
In the Mac fanboys own words...

Buy a Mac PC :D
riggs 25th September 2009, 13:26 Quote
Pfft, who cares?

The Mac has always been behind the times in terms of games. There's just no point in spending time and money on such a small hardware base (in relation to Windows PCs and games consoles).

Anyway, looking at the spec you need an Intel machine...the same machine that can also run Windows. So why not just pick up the PC version of Bioshock (for £9.99 from Game) and run it using Bootcamp?!?
wafflesomd 25th September 2009, 13:51 Quote
I would totally buy a mac....

If I wanted less functionality than my pc that is.
flibblesan 25th September 2009, 14:02 Quote
Considering that all Feral do is wrap the PC game up in a Cider package, I don't see why it takes so long to release.. and for a high cost. Feral are rip-off merchants. For example, Colin McRae Mac (which is actually Colin McRae 05), £35. You can get it on the PC for a fiver.

I'm not a Mac user but, if these companies want to be taken seriously, then they need to release new games quicker and have prices comparable to PC versions. Until they do that, Mac gaming will be stuck in the past. An expensive past.
flibblesan 25th September 2009, 14:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs
Anyway, looking at the spec you need an Intel machine...the same machine that can also run Windows. So why not just pick up the PC version of Bioshock (for £9.99 from Game) and run it using Bootcamp?!?

^this is so true. But a lot of Mac users aren't aware they can do this, so will happily pay the premium for last years game.
Jamie 25th September 2009, 14:07 Quote
This is a stupid marketing decision.
Delphium 25th September 2009, 14:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs
Anyway, looking at the spec you need an Intel machine...the same machine that can also run Windows. So why not just pick up the PC version of Bioshock (for £9.99 from Game) and run it using Bootcamp?!?

This is exactly what my GF done to hers (without any aid from myself I might add) in order to be able to play TF2 and L4D :D
coolius 25th September 2009, 14:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by riggs
Pfft, who cares?

The Mac has always been behind the times in terms of games. There's just no point in spending time and money on such a small hardware base (in relation to Windows PCs and games consoles).

Anyway, looking at the spec you need an Intel machine...the same machine that can also run Windows. So why not just pick up the PC version of Bioshock (for £9.99 from Game) and run it using Bootcamp?!?

Maybe because you'd have to pay £100 for a legit copy of windows?
iwog 25th September 2009, 15:33 Quote
*gets popcorn and chair*
Ok I'm ready for the debate, please make it, fun repetitive and childish as I need some entertainment at work.
Volund 25th September 2009, 15:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolius
Maybe because you'd have to pay £100 for a legit copy of windows?

If you do any decent amount of gaming, or want games not ported over to OSX it will end up cheaper.
MajorTom 25th September 2009, 16:12 Quote
This is why there is no such thing as a Mac Gamer.
Skiddywinks 25th September 2009, 16:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by flibblesan
Considering that all Feral do is wrap the PC game up in a Cider package, I don't see why it takes so long to release.. and for a high cost. Feral are rip-off merchants. For example, Colin McRae Mac (which is actually Colin McRae 05), £35. You can get it on the PC for a fiver.

I'm not a Mac user but, if these companies want to be taken seriously, then they need to release new games quicker and have prices comparable to PC versions. Until they do that, Mac gaming will be stuck in the past. An expensive past.

You need to consider the fact that poeple that buy Macs (usually) know they are already spening more money than they need to. They are unlikely to care as much about the price as most of us.
harveypooka 25th September 2009, 17:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by flibblesan
Considering that all Feral do is wrap the PC game up in a Cider package, I don't see why it takes so long to release.. and for a high cost. Feral are rip-off merchants. For example, Colin McRae Mac (which is actually Colin McRae 05), £35. You can get it on the PC for a fiver.

I'm not a Mac user but, if these companies want to be taken seriously, then they need to release new games quicker and have prices comparable to PC versions. Until they do that, Mac gaming will be stuck in the past. An expensive past.

Feral do not use Transgaming's Cider technology. That's Transgaming. Feral port games to Mac. There's no Windows .exe lurking in the file system.
harveypooka 25th September 2009, 17:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom
This is why there is no such thing as a Mac Gamer.

The Mac Gamer - Google it!
Carcharodon 25th September 2009, 17:37 Quote
Steady on there! - That's 2 high end gaming cards released inside a year for the Mac Pro and now BioShock! - What's next? - The Mac Pro gamer edition! - Apple could certainly rival the likes of Aliendellware and Falcon Northwest when it comes to over-pricing; while witnessing the PC fanboy rage at such a thing would be great fun.

Talking of which, isn't Rage also coming to the Mac?

Who knows, in 5 years time with MS and publishers continuing on their quest to turn the PC into a glorified games console, the Mac could become the platform of choice for the hardcore gaming niche, looking for new experiences. For the time being though, Mac owners shouldn't bother with bootcamp or buying a gaming PC; just buy yourself an Xbox 360 or PS3 instead; their pretty much all the same these days anyway.

World gaming order at present:

1st - Console gamers with their grubby little hands on all the goodies first and big smiles on the faces; you've got to hate them!

2nd - PC gamers left waiting for the port, but comforting themselves with some benchmarks and by the fact that their expensive high end card will let them play the exact same game at a higher res - or at least it should - providing the developers have done the port right and ATI/Nvidia haven't messed up the drivers.

3rd - Mac gamers (yes they do exist) are just left waiting, hoping, maybe, yes! - Its BioShock! - And its only 2 years old!

By the way iwog, are you sharing that popcorn and is it salted?
Rkiver 25th September 2009, 18:01 Quote
Mac machines are powerful and have the potential to be great gaming machines. Just not under their native OS. Don't get me wrong OSX is a damn nice OS, but gaming is still Windows based for now, and the premium on Apple machines will mean if they do try and branch into gaming pcs will still undercut them be a substantial proportion.
harveypooka 25th September 2009, 18:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkiver
Mac machines are powerful and have the potential to be great gaming machines. Just not under their native OS. Don't get me wrong OSX is a damn nice OS, but gaming is still Windows based for now, and the premium on Apple machines will mean if they do try and branch into gaming pcs will still undercut them be a substantial proportion.

Agreed.

I've used Macs for thirteen odd years and I have played some great games on them. Windows is where it's at for games, but the Mac does have potential and it is being leveraged slowly. There is a hell of a lot more that Apple can do to inspire development for the platform, though.
flibblesan 25th September 2009, 20:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveypooka
Feral do not use Transgaming's Cider technology. That's Transgaming. Feral port games to Mac. There's no Windows .exe lurking in the file system.

Colin McRae 05 wasn't a port, neither was FlatOut2. Both used a wrapper like Cider. Seriously, check the files out.
HourBeforeDawn 25th September 2009, 20:31 Quote
hey if any of you want to watch a hilarious documentary, watch Macheads, I couldnt stop laughing through the whole thing it was priceless...
digitaldave 25th September 2009, 21:18 Quote
been pro PC for as long as i remember (and im old) been heavily into CS and TF2 for as long as i remember too but I got wicked with windoze, ive been modding PC's since the days of the golden orb (I actually distributed them in uk, was the first to disty modding gear) but i bought a all alu macbook pro in jan, and more recently a 8 core mac pro to replace my everyday PC, the only thing i miss is games but hell, im getting alot more work done without them!

if valve made steam for mac i guess most of you would be on it too, i have a windows PC with steam etc on it but it only gets used for the accounts package, so accounts and games, the mac is much better for everything else, flame away i'm no fan boy just telling it how it is
Krieger91 25th September 2009, 23:40 Quote
A few years too late.
Yoy0YO 26th September 2009, 11:11 Quote
[sarcasm] I knew my Mac-Investment would pay off! [/sarcasm]

I have to admit, I only like their MacBook line.. but finally, theres some good competition against the MBP's
Aracos 26th September 2009, 21:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcharodon
Talking of which, isn't Rage also coming to the Mac?

Considering it's done by id Software, one of the biggest linux supporting game makers around it's safe to say it'll get a mac/linux installer available free on their website :D
M_D_K 28th September 2009, 11:21 Quote
Yawn, PC users bashing MAC users.

You all have a small penis get over it.
hexx 28th September 2009, 12:25 Quote
maybe i will finaly finish it - on a macbook :). i'd like to see what's gonna happen with openCL development and if there will be more games coming, currently i know only about diablo 3 and new starcraft, but games are coming to mac slowly. with current support of 4870 cards on mac i think it's just matter of time and with full openCL support it looks promising
Volund 28th September 2009, 14:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_D_K
Yawn, PC users bashing MAC users.

You all have a small penis get over it.

oh come on, that is just immature. :(
B1GBUD 28th September 2009, 22:36 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveypooka
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom
This is why there is no such thing as a Mac Gamer.

The Mac Gamer - Google it!

and the best news on TheMacGamer.com is (drumroll).................. Bioshock, lawl
Krayzie_B.o.n.e. 29th September 2009, 04:17 Quote
After many years of hating Macs I love them. Wont buy one but I love them. High end premium computer that plays a handful of games 2 years after their release, I love it (bootcamp that is). Besides if you put bootcamp on a Mac and run Window$....... then in reality.......your Mac has just become a Sony Vaio that you cant modify or upgrade because those idiots over there at Apple like to solder everything to the motherboard. Surely Macs are intended for those who have no use for a computer but like paying $2000 just to check email while drinking $10 a cup coffee. If I ran Apple, every Mac would come preloaded with 2 of the hottest games released. Please someone release the power of Macs from that moron Steve Jobs.
harveypooka 29th September 2009, 14:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by flibblesan
Colin McRae 05 wasn't a port, neither was FlatOut2. Both used a wrapper like Cider. Seriously, check the files out.

Untrue.

If Colin McRae was a Cider-like Wrapper, how could it run on the PPC architecture? Cider and Cider-like stuff works because it's using Intel processors.
harveypooka 29th September 2009, 14:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1GBUD
and the best news on TheMacGamer.com is (drumroll).................. Bioshock, lawl

Best is subjective. It's news.
edddeduck 5th October 2009, 18:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by flibblesan
Colin McRae 05 wasn't a port, neither was FlatOut2. Both used a wrapper like Cider. Seriously, check the files out.

I think you must have been doing some pirating :-(, the "Cider" version was a version hacked together by some pirates and seeded on Pirate Bay and other piracy sites so the only way you could have come across that version is by downloading it illegally! The legitimate version you actually buy works on PPC and Intel and is by it's very nature a full Mac OS X application.

Flat Out 2 was not ported by Feral and as such I don't know if it used Cider.

Edwin

Feral Interactive
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums