bit-gamer.net

L4D2 boycotters flown to Valve HQ

L4D2 boycotters flown to Valve HQ

In an effort to quell discontent Valve has flown out two of the boycott instigators protesting Left 4 Dead 2.

In an effort to try and quell the worries and discontent among hardcore Left 4 Dead fans involved in the on-going Left 4 Dead 2 boycott, Valve revealed it has flown two of the most vocal members of the boycott out to Valve HQ to preview the game.

The Left 4 Dead 2 boycott is an effort by a group of hardcore fans to try and pressure Valve into releasing more of the supposedly promised content for Left 4 Dead before releasing Left 4 Dead 2, which some view as more of an expansion pack than a full game.

In an effort to stem the rising discontent Valve paid for hotels and flights for two of the boycott members, Walking_Target and Agent of Chaos, and treated them to some extended hands-on time with the latest build of Left 4 Dead 2.

The ploy seems to have worked too, with posts appearing in the boycott group from the lucky devils saying that they were very impressed with the game and that it was superbly balanced.

"It doesn't feel like a rushed job," wrote Walking_Target. "We can say with confidence...that the quality of gameplay in Left 4 Dead 2 is not in question; and it will only get better."

The reaction from the rest of the boycott however has been pretty riotous, with cries of bribery and disbelief getting thrown around quite a bit. You can check out our own thoughts on the game in our latest Left 4 Dead 2 hands-on preview.

Valve meanwhile seems to have been content to let the matter carry on and has made no effort to delete the Steam group boycott - probably because they're too busy hacking their own games to make it so they can't lose in friendly games against mod developers. That's reportedly what Valve was caught not-so-subtly doing according to RockPaperShotgun, who pulled up a video of some rather hilarious cheats used by the Valve dev team in a friendly game that saw each member of the team transform into their 'super-selves', getting rapid-fire rocket launchers and living power orbs in the process.

Let us know your thoughts on both matters in the forums and check out the video of Valve's hacking shenanigans below, in full low-quality glory.

23 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Joeymac 10th September 2009, 10:39 Quote
:) ...losers.

Wait a minute, I want to be flown to Seattle! This is now the bit-tech LFD2 boycott thread and I'm a key ringleader.
steveo_mcg 10th September 2009, 10:47 Quote
Yeah down with valve, I want a holiday.....
GFC 10th September 2009, 10:53 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo_mcg
Yeah down with valve, I want a holiday.....

LOL!!!
Dr. Strangelove 10th September 2009, 11:16 Quote
lucky them!
With regard to the dev team using a "cheat" in a friendly game... so what it was probably fun fun fun

And no doubt the dev team used a dev tool, which they use to test game aspects.. kinda like that SUPER item on dude accidently got handed in WoW, with which he could kill the biggest bosses in one hit. All I want to know is whats the command to turn on that super mode :D
SNIPERMikeUK 10th September 2009, 11:37 Quote
NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS........:)
SNIPERMikeUK 10th September 2009, 11:42 Quote
If I cry about gran turismo 5 taking so long, do u think I will get flown over to polyphony digital?
bbshammo 10th September 2009, 11:48 Quote
LOLZ!!

DIVIDE AND CONQUER!!!

Ahhhh, the old tactics are always the best ;)

Just goes to show how outrageously BRAINDEAD these "boycotters" are.

Valve should have offered them roles as extras for the horde in L4D2.

Sorry, I have absolutely no time whatsoever for the boycotter types.

All they've achieved is a new level of "loser" imho.

IN FACT.... Valve should have added some sort of visible tag to the L4D characters that the boycotters use in-game/online, and let a natural course of action take place.

I bet they'd soon get their opinions in perspective then!
Sim0n 10th September 2009, 11:57 Quote
Erm.... that video is over 2 years old... ?
Shadowed_fury 10th September 2009, 12:09 Quote
What the hell makes them so special?
yakyb 10th September 2009, 12:22 Quote
good move on valves part, at some point they made a decision to remake L4D it would not have been done if there weren't some fundamental improvements required in order to show these improvements they took the 2 main objectors and shown them what has been done and so far feed back has been possitive
Quote:
We can say with confidence...that the quality of gameplay in Left 4 Dead 2 is not in question

i still think he is arguing that they should not have to pay for this

i only hope those with L4d 1 get a discount on L4D2 as it is only fair
kenco_uk 10th September 2009, 12:27 Quote
Of course it's looking good, Valve are making it.
Sathy 10th September 2009, 12:56 Quote
And yet this whole topic is just a rediculous as it was from the get go. It's hilarious that people are still so small and self-centered to really make this big a ruckus out of something like this. Then again me saying it again after it's been said so many times is a bit of a wasted effort too I think.
SchizoFrog 10th September 2009, 15:41 Quote
I really do not see the point in all of this. The quality of the game is not an issue. Since when do you get free games because they are rubbish? So what if the game feels like an update rather than a new game? Welcome to the world of using game engines developement tools.

They will release the game, people will buy it. End of... get over it.
DarkLord7854 10th September 2009, 17:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbshammo
LOLZ!!

DIVIDE AND CONQUER!!!

Ahhhh, the old tactics are always the best ;)

Just goes to show how outrageously BRAINDEAD these "boycotters" are.

Valve should have offered them roles as extras for the horde in L4D2.

Sorry, I have absolutely no time whatsoever for the boycotter types.

All they've achieved is a new level of "loser" imho.

IN FACT.... Valve should have added some sort of visible tag to the L4D characters that the boycotters use in-game/online, and let a natural course of action take place.

I bet they'd soon get their opinions in perspective then!

Oh boy, a troll!

So since there are some members on this forum (and myself), does that count as breaking the rules for flaming? :p


Anyways, it's rather cool of Valve to do that, would be nice if they released some more info about upcoming DLC as well though :D
SMIFFYDUDE 10th September 2009, 21:01 Quote
I bitch about EA all the time, but I still wouldn't wanna be invited to play any of their games.

Anyway. Down with Valve, how dare they, the rotters. Grrrrrr.
Dreaming 10th September 2009, 22:53 Quote
Valve cheats, you say? :p

Look at some of these items for starters:

http://tf2items.com/profiles/76561197960435530 (AND ALSO HAS ALL THE HATS !)
Star*Dagger 11th September 2009, 10:54 Quote
I laugh at boycotts of games, it never works, but these guys went to see my friends at Valve, I bet they feel like idiots now.
I remember the first time I went to iD software's inner sanctum.
Valve and Id are the leaders of the FPS industry and along with companies like CCP they are shining a light for the future of PC Gaming.

Steam is also a gift from heaven.

Yours in Steaming Id Valves Plasma,
Star*Dagger
bbshammo 11th September 2009, 13:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLord7854
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbshammo
LOLZ!!

DIVIDE AND CONQUER!!!

Ahhhh, the old tactics are always the best ;)

Just goes to show how outrageously BRAINDEAD these "boycotters" are.

Valve should have offered them roles as extras for the horde in L4D2.

Sorry, I have absolutely no time whatsoever for the boycotter types.

All they've achieved is a new level of "loser" imho.

IN FACT.... Valve should have added some sort of visible tag to the L4D characters that the boycotters use in-game/online, and let a natural course of action take place.

I bet they'd soon get their opinions in perspective then!

Oh boy, a troll!

So since there are some members on this forum (and myself), does that count as breaking the rules for flaming? :p


Anyways, it's rather cool of Valve to do that, would be nice if they released some more info about upcoming DLC as well though :D

So, you're one of the botcotters, and you think my comments therefore constitute "flaming"?

I think you've just highlighted the mentallity shared by most of the boycotters...

... Always looking for something to complain and kick off about, regardless of actual facts.

I might be forgiven for thinking some people actually get kicks from constantly bitching.

Crazy I know!!

;)
DarkLord7854 11th September 2009, 14:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbshammo
So, you're one of the botcotters, and you think my comments therefore constitute "flaming"?

I think you've just highlighted the mentallity shared by most of the boycotters...

... Always looking for something to complain and kick off about, regardless of actual facts.

I might be forgiven for thinking some people actually get kicks from constantly bitching.

Crazy I know!!

;)


Actually no, the ":p" denotes a joke & good-natured attempt at poking some fun at you
Timmy_the_tortoise 11th September 2009, 23:54 Quote
I e-mailed Gabe Newell about this.

He said that unfortunately they've reached their quota for L4D2 boycotters.. but there are still openings for HL4 and Ricochet 2.
DarkLord7854 12th September 2009, 02:10 Quote
I've already got L4D3 booked.
Krayzie_B.o.n.e. 26th November 2009, 20:14 Quote
Well I'm the the president of the BOYCOTT HALF LIFE 2 EPISODE 3 GROUP and I demand to be flown to Seattle placed in a 5 star hotel and thoroughly bribed with hands on game play of the upcoming game.

If not then I'm gonna file a lawsuit for discrimination of boycotters and unequal treatment.

I'll be happy to settle out of court for a free signed copy of all the Half Life games signed by AlYx Vance of course.
feedayeen 27th November 2009, 04:32 Quote
A game character is going to sign your digital copy of the game?


What pen makes this possible? I NEEDS TO KNOW!!!
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums