bit-gamer.net

id reveal new Rage details

id reveal new Rage details

Rage will be more than just a pure shooter, promise id Software - it'll have plenty of RPG elements too.

The recently bought-out id Software has revealed a glut of new information about it's next games, Rage, in a new cover story that'll be going out in the next issue of Game Informer magazine in the US - but which is also being mirrored on Shacknews. Judging by the list of new features and ideas being incorporated into the game, it looks like Rage will be more than just another pure shooter too and will involve an awful lot of stealth and RPG elements.

That Rage would be set in an open, post-apocalyptic world was something we already knew, but now it looks like there'll be an extensive RPG system built around the cars too, with players able to trade blueprints with in-game characters and build their own upgrades for the vehicles to improve acceleration, traction and suspension.

All of this will come in handy in the gladiatorial arena in the game, where players can battle against waves of enemies to win prize money for further upgrades. Some of the specific vehicle add-ons include EMP shields, bombs and magnets to draw power-ups and ammo towards the car from a distance.

Outside of the gladiatorial arena you'll be able to get missions and race events from in-game hubs, again earning money for weapon upgrades such as scopes and silencers. One of the mentioned weapons is a boomerang called the Wingstick, which can fly around the room and return to the player.

On the topic of the console and PC versions of the game, id has said that the PC version will be graphically superior and will have more resolutions, enhanced AA, faster texture page-in times and a few other enhancements - but content-wise the game will be the same on all platforms. Carmack also confirmed that Rage is being primarily designed around gamepads, not keyboards, because "the largest chunk of the market's going to be on consoles."

The bad news meanwhile is that no multiplayer has yet been finalised for the game at all and regenerating health is confirmed as a feature - though id says that it ties in closely to the story and the character that you play in the game.

Disappointed by the console news, or buoyed up by the reveal of RPG elements? Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

39 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Tyrmot 22nd July 2009, 13:08 Quote
The fact that consoles are now the biggest part of the gaming market is something PC gamers are just going to have to accept isn't it. As in any business the market dictates the way it operates. Addition or RPG elements is always good though!
harveypooka 22nd July 2009, 13:20 Quote
Wingstick? Will there also be a small, dog child to throw it for you?
yakyb 22nd July 2009, 13:28 Quote
i hope its true RPG and not stalker like rpg
Bauul 22nd July 2009, 13:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyb
i hope its true RPG and not stalker like rpg

Really? You think id could do true RPG? N'ah, I'd rather a damn good id shooter/driver with some sensible, if not true RPG elements.

Whilst we're just going to have to admit Consoles are bigger than PCs nowadays, at least I have faith id aren't silly enough to damage the PC version of the game as a result.
Joeymac 22nd July 2009, 13:43 Quote
"HEY, YOU GUYS!.... Rocky... road?"
Gunsmith 22nd July 2009, 13:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrmot
The fact that consoles are now the biggest part of the gaming market is something PC gamers are just going to have to accept isn't it.

i refuse to acknowledge they are better and happily play pc games 5 years old in comparrison to todays console drivel.
Evildead666 22nd July 2009, 13:53 Quote
Waiting for this, ID rarely come out with sh*t, even tho Quake 4 and Doom 3 were too linear for my liking, they were tech demos basically, to sell the engine.
This is also likely to be the case, but i'll still play it ;)
amacieli 22nd July 2009, 14:06 Quote
rage? are they ripping off the idea of "28 days later"?
Bauul 22nd July 2009, 15:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by amacieli
rage? are they ripping off the idea of "28 days later"?

Erm.... no. Totally, totally different. And hence forth you fail, unfortunately.
Skiddywinks 22nd July 2009, 15:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith
i refuse to acknowledge they are better and happily play pc games 5 years old in comparrison to todays console drivel.

No one said anything about them being better. No need to be so defensive.

Anyway, I am liking the sounds of this more and more, and with the graphics already looking amazing, I can't wait.
thehippoz 22nd July 2009, 16:10 Quote
what I like about id's style is they have no problem taking the lips off a monster
perplekks45 22nd July 2009, 16:49 Quote
Quote:
Carmack also confirmed that Rage is being primarily designed around gamepads, not keyboards, because "the largest chunk of the market's going to be on consoles."
WTF?!

This just turned from must-buy to won't-buy... :( :(
sotu1 22nd July 2009, 17:18 Quote
I don't see what the major issue is with getting a game pad for your pc...they work ok you know! and carmack aint gonna let the pc version feel like a crappy port
perplekks45 22nd July 2009, 17:23 Quote
It's a SHOOTER FFS! How do you want to aim?!
CardJoe 22nd July 2009, 17:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45
It's a SHOOTER FFS! How do you want to aim?!

It will still support mouse and keyboard, obviously. It's just that the actual mechanics of the game and interface designs are being dictated by "what can we reasonably expect people to do with a gamepad?" not "People have keyboards, so we can do whatever they want."
Lepermessiah 22nd July 2009, 17:44 Quote
Gamepads can limit what a dev can do,especially a game with RPG elements. Sad days for PC gamers.
rollo 22nd July 2009, 17:46 Quote
mouse and keyboard still destroys gamepads, For all but driving /flight games
Lepermessiah 22nd July 2009, 17:59 Quote
Sports, Platformers as well, but yeah, generally M/K is vastly superior, why can't ID still make PC the focus and port to console, that way, Pc gets is PC game, consoles still get a console game, face it, console gamers buy almost anything regardless of quality.
perplekks45 22nd July 2009, 18:14 Quote
I don't hate consoles or controllers [have a PS2 and 360 which I both love to pieces] and I replied to sotu1's post. Controllers work but they're not made for shooters. End of story.
CardJoe 22nd July 2009, 18:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz
what I like about id's style is they have no problem taking the lips off a monster

LOL - +rep
DiegoAAC 22nd July 2009, 19:26 Quote
postapocalyptic? id? It will be Fallout with guns!
impar 22nd July 2009, 22:36 Quote
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45
Quote:
Carmack also confirmed that Rage is being primarily designed around gamepads, not keyboards, because "the largest chunk of the market's going to be on consoles."
WTF?!
This just turned from must-buy to won't-buy... :( :(
No. It turned to a try-demo-before-buy.
Hamish 22nd July 2009, 23:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoAAC
postapocalyptic? id? It will be Fallout with guns!

fallout had guns, or do you mean guns that are actually useful? :p

also i hope the RPG elements are fairly minimal, similar to Stalker
i loathe RPGs :\
naokaji 22nd July 2009, 23:18 Quote
Developed around gamepad? all hail menus that don't work properly with a mouse and auto aim:(

Screw you id, you won't get my money.

As for the game it self, it does sound just like Fallout 3 with a bit less rpg and a bit more shooter.
Lepermessiah 22nd July 2009, 23:35 Quote
Id is now on the samelist as EPIC, whiney sellouts,it'seasier to make games on console that sell. Less competition when it comes to graphics engines,you can license the same engine for 4 years on console. Average crap sells millions on console, PC gamers are a bit smarter consumers. ID, Epic, are upset they cannot compete with the best devs on PC anymore, solution? Make casual simplier games that will sell regardless on console, instead of getting better at what you do. Then , make press releases that the PC market is not very good, translation? We have not made a great game in years, and have been surpassed by other PC devs, so we will move to console for easy cash.
wuyanxu 23rd July 2009, 00:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepermessiah
Id is now on the samelist as EPIC, whiney sellouts,it'seasier to make games on console that sell. Less competition when it comes to graphics engines,you can license the same engine for 4 years on console. Average crap sells millions on console, PC gamers are a bit smarter consumers. ID, Epic, are upset they cannot compete with the best devs on PC anymore, solution? Make casual simplier games that will sell regardless on console, instead of getting better at what you do. Then , make press releases that the PC market is not very good, translation? We have not made a great game in years, and have been surpassed by other PC devs, so we will move to console for easy cash.
how i wish that's not true. Id soft have been the pioneers of PC FPS gaming.

but reality is, in a few years time, probably all developers will go down this route.
Gunsmith 23rd July 2009, 01:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu


but reality is, in a few years time, probably all developers will go down this route.

leaving the pc market open to fresh indie faces. seems to be a bit of a circle we're in.
metarinka 23rd July 2009, 01:55 Quote
games have successfully been ported across the pc-console platform and they have not, it's hard to tell without seeing and without seeing how much effort the developers put in.

the best selling game of all time and the most profitable game of all time were both PC originals (the sims, and world of warcraft) and one world of warcraft and the mmo genre in general will probably always remain in the pc exclusive territory. IT has been a long established fact that fps' work better with a mouse keyboard interface as well
[USRF]Obiwan 23rd July 2009, 10:58 Quote
So ID got taken over and all of a sudden its all gamepads!
bbshammo 23rd July 2009, 15:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepermessiah
Id is now on the samelist as EPIC, whiney sellouts,it'seasier to make games on console that sell. Less competition when it comes to graphics engines,you can license the same engine for 4 years on console. Average crap sells millions on console, PC gamers are a bit smarter consumers. ID, Epic, are upset they cannot compete with the best devs on PC anymore, solution? Make casual simplier games that will sell regardless on console, instead of getting better at what you do. Then , make press releases that the PC market is not very good, translation? We have not made a great game in years, and have been surpassed by other PC devs, so we will move to console for easy cash.
how i wish that's not true. Id soft have been the pioneers of PC FPS gaming.

but reality is, in a few years time, probably all developers will go down this route.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

All this BS coming from the likes of Epic and Id just make a cynical world even more so.

The sooner they make the move, the better.
perplekks45 23rd July 2009, 15:59 Quote
id's BS? What exactly do you mean?
Bauul 23rd July 2009, 18:18 Quote
I'm going to have to disagree with you all here. All id have stated is that the game needs to work with gamepads, as that's where the money is.

How can anyone argue with that? Oh I'm sorry, would you rather id were a charity and ignored the lucrative bit of the market just because you're whinging about it.

They're id for Christ's sake, they're not about to make anything other than a game that works perfectly well on the PC. They invented FPS twitch shooting, and it's about all they can do. Unlike Epic, who say PC gaming is dead, id aren't going to abandon PCs, they're just acknowledging that if you make an AAA title, it really ought to be workable on all platforms. Which is only common sense.

All it really means is the inventory system won;'t be too complicated (good) and the menu systems won't be too obscure (good). Think of Fallout 3, that was totally consolified and apart from a few too many clicks on the Pip-Boy it works perfectly well on the PC. THAT'S IT! They're not abandoning the PC, they're just ensuring the game works on all platforms. Mice can replicate gamepads, but gamepads can't replicate mice.

And given when they announced the engine they stated it would work on all platforms out of the box, is it any surprise they're designing for the consoles as well as the PC?

/id fanboy rant
perplekks45 23rd July 2009, 18:58 Quote
I REALLY hope you're right but JC said that the game will be built with controllers in mind.

I definitely am scared.
salesman 24th July 2009, 01:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by harveypooka
Wingstick? Will there also be a small, dog child to throw it for you?

"Road warrior" feral boy child, I thought the same thing when I read that and the fact that it is the exact premise as the movie is . . . except for the lip less monsters part that's new.
bbshammo 24th July 2009, 14:22 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45
id's BS? What exactly do you mean?

By "BS" I was referring to the detailed point made by Lepermessiah... Although I mistakenly replied to wuyanxu's comment that I don't agree with entirely; I don't think all developers will follow this route, only the ones that can't compete.

To elaborate, Id's reasons for leaving PC gaming are solely to do with the fact that they haven't managed to keep up with the competition in terms of quality and innovation in their games, amongst other necessary attributes.

Quale 3 arena was their last decent title and that was simply a deathmatch multiplayer; bedroom coders can match that level of game development.

Id are tech developers, not PC game devs by today's standards, and they've quite correctly identified their strengths and weaknesses, and decided to pit themselves to a market that's far more forgiving and appropriate to their abilities.

They also won't necessarily lose out on the PC gaming market entirely, if they DO decide to ditch it, because as already acknowledged, they are superb tech developers who will no doubt still sell their tech to the proper PC devs.

So, in conclusion, unless devs like Id and Epic just come out and make statements to this effect, they are spouting BULL SH*T.
bbshammo 24th July 2009, 14:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauul
I'm going to have to disagree with you all here. All id have stated is that the game needs to work with gamepads, as that's where the money is.

How can anyone argue with that? Oh I'm sorry, would you rather id were a charity and ignored the lucrative bit of the market just because you're whinging about it.

They're id for Christ's sake, they're not about to make anything other than a game that works perfectly well on the PC. They invented FPS twitch shooting, and it's about all they can do. Unlike Epic, who say PC gaming is dead, id aren't going to abandon PCs, they're just acknowledging that if you make an AAA title, it really ought to be workable on all platforms. Which is only common sense.

All it really means is the inventory system won;'t be too complicated (good) and the menu systems won't be too obscure (good). Think of Fallout 3, that was totally consolified and apart from a few too many clicks on the Pip-Boy it works perfectly well on the PC. THAT'S IT! They're not abandoning the PC, they're just ensuring the game works on all platforms. Mice can replicate gamepads, but gamepads can't replicate mice.

And given when they announced the engine they stated it would work on all platforms out of the box, is it any surprise they're designing for the consoles as well as the PC?

/id fanboy rant

A fundamental flaw in your argument old boy...

... "they're just acknowledging that if you make an AAA title, it really ought to be workable on all platforms. Which is only common sense."...

... Impossible as all platforms are not equal, across all genres. Primarily because of the input method.

- FPS gaming's only real input method is keyboard and mouse (well resolved debate, and proven time and time again).

- Consoles don't have keyboard and mouse.

- Id claim that they want to make the game friendly to control pads.

- Effectively, indirectly to some, stating that they are making the game console oriented.

Also, it's fair to assume that Id are copping out, as they have only ever made FPS's, and the adoption of RPG elements simply allows them the chance to slow down the pace of the game, paving the way for a controller/console oriented game, and moving away from their sole experience of fast-paced action FPS and into the realm more commonly dominated by Bioware and Bethesda...

... FAIL!!

What they should have chosen to do was admit they have fallen behind, figured out what to do to match the likes of Valve and Crytek, then thought again as to how they can innovate and add to the market uniquely, and then gone about doing so.

With their heritage and skill in tech development, I'm sure they'd have had the support for the right idea, so the fact they've copped out just makes this even more dissapointing.

That's my opinion anyway ;)
Slyporkie 24th July 2009, 17:36 Quote
First it was Epic moaning about all you Pirates stealing the games, so they going console.

Then it was Crytek saying that no console would be able to handle their tech, only to have a change of heart less than a year later, saying that it's the Pirates fault they designed the CryEngine3, to take the console route too.

Now John Carmack, has all that Rocket Fuel affected his judgment, and is making Rage suite the console over the PC controls.

I have no problem with anybody designing for the consoles, hell, i encourage it, thats where the money is after all. Console guys will buy any drool at an inflated price. heck, so do i sometimes (own a PS3), but why do we have to put up with the ports going the wrong way.

The technology rules in the PC market, they have higher clock speeds, higher resolutions, more space, just better... Why would you develop something to suit an inferior platform, first, and then port it to a platform that can eat it for lunch, and have it look like chewed up lunch?

So, what the big players are saying is, "Let's stop pushing the barrier of Gaming Technology". So, nVidia and AMD are going to be put out of business, because, at this rate i wont have replace my PC for the next 10 years!

puh!

What happened to those old school programmers that where pushing the polygon boundries, looking for way to amaze us, impress us and worship them for what they could do?
knuck 24th July 2009, 17:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by
good post

It's true that anyone who bought a 8800GTS/X 3 years ago don't need to change their card at all and it's a little disturbing.

What will Rage be exactly now that it's developped for consoles ? Once it gets ported to the PC, will it be another slow FPS with a circular crosshair that's 1/10 of the whole screen and weapons that spray so much that you don't actually have to aim at all ?

It's crazy how many debate i've had with console players over the years about how bad a controller is for FPS games. They really do believe they can be as fast and precise as someone with a keyboard. Yet, when I ask them if they would use the same controller to guide the cursor in windows, they say it's not the same, pfff

It scares me how we are always second on the developpers' priority list.
cheeriokilla 25th July 2009, 19:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrmot
The fact that consoles are now the biggest part of the gaming market is something PC gamers are just going to have to accept isn't it. As in any business the market dictates the way it operates. Addition or RPG elements is always good though!

Why don't you go tell that to Valve... That's a smart dev for pc.

When ID Software sells out like that, what can you expect from other companies that weren't so Hardcore PC? really!
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums