BioShock downloadable content on the way?

BioShock downloadable content on the way?

"Please help me! I'm looking for some downloadable content!"

BioShock was an awesome game, but there were two inherent flaws in its design. The first was that the vita-life chambers removed any sort of challenge from the game and made it feel like walking through a world made of nerf foam and bubble-bath.

The second flaw was in the replayability; once the game was finished, there wasn’t much cause to play it again other than to get the second ending.

Downloadable content could help fix that though by giving an expansion to the plot, level set or plasmid selection. It’s something Ken Levine, lead designer on the game, is keen on too.

In a recent interview with Games For Windows magazine, via 1-up.com, Levine says he’d be interested in using downloadable content to expand BioShock as long as he could figure out a good way to do it.

"Diablo II, to me, was a great model for an expansion, because it enhanced the original game, but also extended the game, too. I'm not a really big fan of expanding things just by linearly adding to the experience, adding a new campaign, as much as I am of enhancing the original experience and adding replayability to that experience," Said Levine in the interview.

"I think that certainly BioShock's combat experience is great, but it could be broader. I'm a little more confused as far as how to expand the narrative experience."

Levine has admitted before that a lot of the game, which was originally set in a WWII bunker, was cut out during development and that a lot of plasmids were scrapped. Could it be we’ll be seeing a host of new weapons, or perhaps a new set of levels to be spliced in to the existing set?

If you’ve got an idea on how to expand the BioShock story or want to suggest a specific plasmid, drop it in our forums and see what everyone else thinks.

r4tch3t 18th October 2007, 11:19 Quote
Well Joe, this is another game I haven't played (as I don't currently have a computer capable of playing it)
But I do have HL now.
DLC can be good, but will it cost, and if so how much?
Fod 18th October 2007, 11:42 Quote
dowloadable?
cjoyce1980 18th October 2007, 11:44 Quote
"would you kindly"......add a new vast area that you could reach via the little sub could be cool, but the content would need to add to the story, maybe some other secrets that rapture hold, maybe about your charaters past before the plane crash, or even a prequel mission on the plane before it crashes. so many ideas......... :)
mikeuk2004 18th October 2007, 12:35 Quote
Bigger stronger Big daddys :) If its free then ok lets have some, but if they are charging for new plasmid's then I dont think so. That wont make me replay it because there are loads of plasmids I didnt even use on my first time round.

I didnt play it a second time because im leaving a big gap so I can forget parts before replaying on hardest mode.

I didnt remeber ever using the Vita-Life chambers at all in the game playing on Hard, so I dont get that argument. Maybe on the hardest level I might have to use one.
LeMaltor 18th October 2007, 12:40 Quote
Heres an idea! Why dont they start work on Bioshock 2! :P
[USRF]Obiwan 18th October 2007, 12:42 Quote
To bad there is not a mod comunity to make some single player expensions like the hl2 universe
impar 18th October 2007, 12:48 Quote
Greetings!

What kind of DRM will it come with?
p3n 18th October 2007, 12:55 Quote
I've not even completely the full game yet, hard mode + widescreen FoV = chore...
fargo 18th October 2007, 18:14 Quote
bioshock was distributed on steam so why doesn't levine consider episodes expanding the game on
steam? of course without involving securom!!!
fakeN 20th October 2007, 17:58 Quote
as lon gas its free im not complaining : )
wuyanxu 20th October 2007, 18:12 Quote
i want a free DLC that allows you to wonder Rapture like it's in Oblivion, instead of like it's in a FPS.

and i want more spicers to respown when you wonder around, and never ending supply of little girls (so it's possible to buy EVERYTHING, i want to become the gov'nor)