Nokia to cut 4,000 jobs by end of 2012

Nokia to cut 4,000 jobs by end of 2012

Nokia has been losing ground hand over fist to Apple and more recently Android-based smartphones.

Nokia has announced plans to cut 4,000 jobs by 2012 in an effort to shed €1bn (£886m) of costs. Of the 4,000 jobs being axed, 700 are in the UK, with Denmark and Finland feeling the brunt of the culling.

As if this wasn't enough, 3,000 more Symbian jobs are also set to transfer to consulting firm Accenture, meaning the sweeping changes will affect more than 5 per cent of the 123,553-strong workforce that the company reported at the end of 2009.

According to Nokia, the main reason for the job cuts is the company's move to Microsoft's Windows Phone platform for its mobile handsets, after ditching its previous Symbian-based OS.

The company said it expects to see employees transfer by the end of 2011, with the job losses taking effect from 2012. Details of Accenture's involvement were highlighted by Nokia spokeswoman Jennifer Lyons, who explained that 'the scope of the agreement with Accenture is to outsource development of Symbian software activities to help us deliver the 150 million more Symbian smartphones we expect to sell, but does not involve the transfer of platform ownership or intellectual property.'

She added that Nokia 'will continue to make the Symbian platform available to platform developer collaborators at http://symbian.nokia.com.'

Jo Harlow, Nokia's executive vice president for smart devices, also added that the 3,000 transfers demonstrated the company's 'commitment to provide our Symbian employees with potential new career opportunities.'

The news follows a long line of bad tidings for the once-dominant mobile manufacturer, which announced 600 job cuts in 2008, while also leaving the Japanese market later that year.

Was adopting Microsoft's mobile operating system Nokia's best hope? Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

B1GBUD 28th April 2011, 11:25 Quote
Yeah I heard that those 700 UK jobs will be lost in Farnborough.
The Infamous Mr D 28th April 2011, 12:02 Quote
It could well be a good move for them to go over to WP7, as it's an excellent UI for Joe Public to use.
Xir 28th April 2011, 12:27 Quote
Hmmm, their big pluspoint is the free OVI-Maps, that work offline.
Otherwise... meh
specofdust 28th April 2011, 12:34 Quote
Worrying times for Finland - I don't think they'll be prepared to take too much more before the get rid of Elop and return to the course they were on. I suspect a lot of them are currently feeling like the cancer is better than the (possible) cure.
Javerh 28th April 2011, 13:09 Quote
I think people are taking it quite well. 1400 jobs that are mostly moved to Accenture. According to the IT department in my Uni, Nokia-programmers are highly sought after. I'd be more worried about university students trying to enter the workforce with fierce, experienced competition.

As for Elop, everybody knows he's a CEO hired for the sole purpose of driving change inside Nokia. Once the immediate need for change is over, they will show him the door regardless of outcome. Nokia has a history of using local CEOs. A foreign one is needed to handle the nasty stuff no-one wants to do.
Toploaded 28th April 2011, 13:47 Quote
Sad way for them to end up. I was loyal to the brand since my first Nokia mobile in 99. I went from being incredibly happy with my N95 to bitterly disappointed with my N97. Their flagship phone which they made a right mess out of and then abandoned it when a few more tweaks to the firmware would have made all the difference. I will never touch a Nokia product again.

I'm not that into Windows 7 mobile anyway, I can see it's appeal but I'd rather the app focused Android OS.
schmidtbag 28th April 2011, 22:10 Quote
nokia didn't just ditch that symbian os they also ditched moblin, which they were working on with intel. i don't understand why they'd spend so many years working on multiple projects and go for the least popular option and make today's economy even worse than it is now. seriously nokia way to be complete assholes.
Snips 29th April 2011, 08:21 Quote
It's only the least popular option for the people being cut. Both symbian and moblin have extremely harsh critics. Moving to WP7 gives their once dominating brand name a chance of clawing back some of that market share lost. Which it will.
Xir 29th April 2011, 09:18 Quote
Bah...I spent an evening listening to two guys waving their schlongs comparing their new iPhones, the newer one beat the older one with a standby-time (with slight usage as a phone) of nearly two days...
I have a 2005 Nokia (with it's original battery) that lasts a week (used to be near three).

Something is going very wrong here.
(and yes I know it's neither a media-center, nor my inrternet hub and no it doesn't do facebook...it does however text and phone and keeps my calandar without me lugging it's charger around.)
GiantStickMan 29th April 2011, 12:21 Quote
I feel very sorry for those people losing their jobs, but honestly I don't see Nokia in the same light I used to. The last two Nokias i had have been garbage and i will not buy another of their products.
Digi 1st May 2011, 12:58 Quote
900 just gone in Denmark! Real shame... bloody style over substance iRubbish generation.
Toploaded 1st May 2011, 15:42 Quote
Originally Posted by Digi

Nokia has very little substance right now though either.