Google unveils App Inventor for Android

Google unveils App Inventor for Android

Google's App Inventor software for Android greatly lowers the entry requirements for making smartphone apps with its simple interface.

Google's latest App Inventor software takes aim at the exploding smartphone app market and simplifies the entry requirements. Google claims you don't need to be a programming guru to create applications for Android OS thanks to its simplified GUI interface.

Apparently it's been a year in the making, as Google sought advice from schools to develop the interface and learning tools, and even says it has inspired kids to go onto learn further programming languages. The App Inventor site lists tutorials to get you started.

While the Android Market Place is a bit underwhelming at the moment, the App Inventor offers a unique way for more people to get into the new growth and potentially monetisable market. Take a look at the video below for more info.

With Android makers such as HTC sporting record sales and profits, plus an influx of Android 2.2/3.0 tablets come Q4 or early next year - it appears there's no better time to start developing your own Android applications.

Will it even make a dent on the ever popular iPhone App-store though? Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

Threefiguremini 13th July 2010, 12:01 Quote
Awesome! I am loving my htc legend but the app store is the one thing I am envious of on the iphone. Hopefully we'll see some beauties coming out of this.
Veles 13th July 2010, 12:31 Quote
That's pretty damn awesome, I can see some amazing apps coming from this, and lots of not so amazing ones too :p
Krikkit 13th July 2010, 13:18 Quote
That is a great idea - no programming required removes a pretty massive obstacle, and if it works as well as Google claims it won't be long before the Android Marketplace is overloaded with content.
leveller 13th July 2010, 13:40 Quote
While on the one hand this sounds exciting ... on the other there will be no money to be made by the bedroom coders. The Android app market will flood with utter shite as the bedroom codies get going, eventually a minor few massively dedicated people will shine, but will the lack of quality push more folks to Apple? Yeah I know App store has shite on it as well, but you wait n see what little Johnny fills the Android app store with ...
Bakes 13th July 2010, 13:41 Quote
Don't like. We'll see a massive influx of tiny apps to the Android appstore. They won't do anything innovative, and will be like those facebook quizzes, badly designed and executed. Whilst you'll be able to do some things quite well, there'll be no substitute for an experienced programmer. The only saving grace is that it costs $25 to publish your app.

(This is from someone who has widely used applications in the Android Market)
Omnituens 13th July 2010, 14:55 Quote
As long as Popcap get in gear and make PvZ I'll be happy.
mclean007 13th July 2010, 15:09 Quote
"No programming required" is BS. Yeah so you don't need to write any code to make an "app" with a picture of a cat that meows when you tap it. Big deal. Show me an app that actually does something USEFUL that has been built without writing a single line of code, then I'll be impressed.
wuyanxu 13th July 2010, 15:21 Quote
i think it's a good idea. allows for some quick clicks to get a small app you want. eg. if i want an app that does a specific task my way, i can make it easily without paying a monthly fee.

on the other hand, it'll be bad for average joe who just want to download a couple quality apps. im sure it'll bring up the total app count on Android though.
supermonkey 13th July 2010, 15:24 Quote
I think some of you are missing the point. Sure, by removing the hard coding obstacle you may see an initial influx of "meowing cat" apps, but I don't think that will make it any more difficult to find useful apps. Don't you geeks make use of search capabilities and user reviews? The iTunes app store is flooded with a lot of crap, but that has never stopped me from finding something cool or useful.

I believe that some apps are effective in their simplicity, and by removing the difficult programming hurdle it allows creative people to publish ideas that they otherwise might not have been able to create. In addition, I do think that the experience will encourage the successful ones to learn additional programming skill sets. And that's a good thing, right?
wafflesomd 13th July 2010, 19:54 Quote
Just have a user rating system for each app. Problem solved.
Faulk_Wulf 14th July 2010, 00:44 Quote
I think there should just be a separate section for App Inventor apps at first. Like a little trial area so that you don't have to dredge through all the Market to see what's there but you still know what you're getting into.

Sure there'll be Crapps, but there'll be a few creams that rise to the top. :)
fabler 14th July 2010, 05:36 Quote
Yup.. awesome.. already registered.
DbD 14th July 2010, 09:23 Quote
It's "Scratch" for your phone. Pretty cool tbh.
[USRF]Obiwan 14th July 2010, 09:36 Quote
<sarcastic>
Amazing! A doable girl with nothing to do in her life, except maybe working for google, dragged a button, added a cat image to it and added a "onclick play a sound" snippet. And then she pressed the image with her little vinger and it says "miaaauw"

My god! I can see in a nightmare(ish) vision, the world being overrun with 16 billion crap applications for your phone. I can't even imagine what kind of crap it would produce, Ok! I can... Look mammy if you press this image of your ugly head. You hear yourself screaming in rage to daddy! hahaha how much fun!

</sarcastic>