bit-tech.net

NetSol crack loses 570,000 credit card details

NetSol crack loses 570,000 credit card details

The security breach at Network Solutions has resulted in the misappropriation by ne'er-do-wells of over 570,000 credit card details.

Hosting outfit Network Solutions has uncovered an embarrassing security breach which may have compromised more than 4,000 hosted e-commerce websites – and given crackers access to over 570,000 credit card details.

According to V3.co.uk the admission comes as Network Solutions “identified unauthorised code on servers supporting some of our e-commerce merchants' web sites.

It is believed that the code was used on around 4,343 of the 10,000-some e-commerce sites hosted by the company to transfer transaction information – including credit card details – to an outside agency, resulting in the loss of around 573,928 shoppers' details. It is thought that only sites based in the US were targeted in the attack.

Network Solutions has set up a website for anyone who suspects they may be a victim – both consumer and merchant – which claims that the company has received “no reports or other reasons to believe that your credit card account information has been misused.” To help mitigate the risk, however, the company is offering a one-year membership to credit monitoring from TransUnion to those affected – although only if the merchant used chooses to “participate in the program.”

Merchants affected by the breach have reacted with anger, not helped by the fact that issues with the company's hosting platforms have prevented them from downloading a list of affected customers. According to the company's blog regarding the incident, Network Solutions customers demanded a change to the notification letter which the company is to send out in order to make it clearer that it is an issue resulting from Network Solutions, not the merchant. For some, even this isn't enough: comments reveal that merchants are looking to distance themselves from the breach as much as possible.

This isn't the first time crackers have been responsible for a major leak of credit card details, of course: those behind the infamous TJX crack were charged last year with the theft of 40 million credit card details. Despite the Network Solutions breach being relatively minor, it still proves that e-commerce is not without its risks.

Have any of our US customers received a letter alerting them to possible theft of credit card details? Should Network Solutions – and the merchants – be doing more to protect those affected by the breach? Share your thoughts over in the forums.

13 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
V3ctor 28th July 2009, 12:38 Quote
WOW... 570,000 credit cards... U just win the lottery...
liratheal 28th July 2009, 12:38 Quote
Someone cocked that one up!
Mr T 28th July 2009, 13:45 Quote
They somehow managed to get hold of the domain another hosting company stole off me several years ago :(

Maybe if they go bust ill get it back :)
1ad7 28th July 2009, 14:40 Quote
oh dear god... the sad part is the credit card companys keep leaving people out to dry when this **** happens...
Htr-Labs 28th July 2009, 15:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ad7
oh dear god... the sad part is the credit card companys keep leaving people out to dry when this **** happens...

What are you talking about? No they don't. If you see unauthorized charges on your credit card billing statement all you have to do is cancel the card, call your cardholder services hotline, request an affidavit seeking monetary damages and they will credit your account for the amount that was fraudulent. Credit Card companies can be the bad guy sometimes when they are pressing for people who are up to their eyeballs in debt, but for good reason. It's not illegal to pursue money that is owed to you, it is illegal to deny someone a chance to explain why they may have become a victim of identity fraud.

Simply put, the Credit Card companies are your friend, but only if you are on their good side. There's an easy way to avoid becoming an enemy; don't buy things you can't afford. If you can't afford to buy it with the money you already have, then you can't afford it. That's pretty common sense for most people, but those who choose to ruin the system are the one's who deserve to be punished. It would be excellent if everyone lived within their means, and payed their bills on time....but whoa is me...that's simply too much to ask for in this day and age. The point is....if you are a responsible citizen who respects the credit system and does not abuse it, you will have no problems when these situations arise.

Peace
perplekks45 28th July 2009, 19:29 Quote
Well put HTR. ;)
Fod 29th July 2009, 08:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htr-Labs
If you see unauthorized charges on your credit card billing statement all you have to do is cancel the card, call your cardholder services hotline, request an affidavit seeking monetary damages and they will credit your account for the amount that was fraudulent. Credit Card companies can be the bad guy sometimes when they are pressing for people who are up to their eyeballs in debt, but for good reason. It's not illegal to pursue money that is owed to you, it is illegal to deny someone a chance to explain why they may have become a victim of identity fraud.

Simply put, the Credit Card companies are your friend, but only if you are on their good side.

In fact, the credit card company likes me so much, that they rang me when they noticed strange activity on my card! It's nice because if they notice it and ring you, you don't have to go through any paperwork - it's all automatic.

I think 1ad7 is confusing credit cards with debit cards; but even then a bank will usually reverse fraudulent transactions if caught early around once a year as a good will gesture.

(BTW, whoa != woe ;))
sub routine 29th July 2009, 09:01 Quote
HTR sorry but that sounds like shite. Any big business is not your friend, the adverts you see for banks are not to inspire you they are to dupe you out of all your maney. They do not love you or your family and they dont care about your well being. They are ran by stuffy little fat men with power issues and an insatiable greed for money.
sub routine 29th July 2009, 09:04 Quote
Also why are companies allowed to keep your details anyway?? I would rather input my details every time I perform a transaction.
nukeman8 29th July 2009, 09:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub routine
HTR sorry but that sounds like shite. Any big business is not your friend, the adverts you see for banks are not to inspire you they are to dupe you out of all your maney. They do not love you or your family and they dont care about your well being. They are ran by stuffy little fat men with power issues and an insatiable greed for money.

thats a very stereotypical view you have their.
Im not saying all big business are good people but trying to make them all out to be horrible fat little men is very silly.
for fact my bank manager is a tall slim rather attractive female lmao
impar 29th July 2009, 09:40 Quote
Greetings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htr-Labs
If you see unauthorized charges on your credit card billing statement all you have to do is cancel the card, call your cardholder services hotline, request an affidavit seeking monetary damages and they will credit your account for the amount that was fraudulent.
This!

Just check your bank accounts to see if there is any unauthorised movement.
fodder 29th July 2009, 09:44 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htr-Labs


What are you talking about? No they don't. If you see unauthorized charges on your credit card billing statement all you have to do is cancel the card, call your cardholder services hotline, request an affidavit seeking monetary damages and they will credit your account for the amount that was fraudulent. Credit Card companies can be the bad guy sometimes when they are pressing for people who are up to their eyeballs in debt, but for good reason. It's not illegal to pursue money that is owed to you, it is illegal to deny someone a chance to explain why they may have become a victim of identity fraud.

This is a fact sub routine. Plus, a company is there to make money and they will make more by having happy customers. They are only evil entities bent on the destruction of society if your one of the 'everything should be free' brigade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htr-Labs
....If you can't afford to buy it with the money you already have, then you can't afford it. That's pretty common sense for most people, but those who choose to ruin the system are the one's who deserve to be punished. It.............if you are a responsible citizen who respects the credit system and does not abuse it, you will have no problems when these situations arise.

Brilliantly put. Now could someone explain that to our prime minister Mr Brown please?
sub routine 30th July 2009, 08:37 Quote
>.> obviously thats why the banks nearly didnt collapse ?? The artistic embellishment didn`t refer to them all being fat rather them all being fannies :) sorry to see it was wasted on you.

And i`m sorry but if the banks didnt aggressively sell too many people credit cards then the problem wouldn`t persist. The people receiving the cards are not capable of controlling themselves so really the banks shouldn`t throw our money away and should perform more thorough checks...unless of course they`re profiteering.



Anyway my point to the topic was why do these companies like xbox live, amazon etc feel obliged to keep my full details including my payment information? I would prefer if they didnt then I would only have myself to blame for any mis-givings. People shouldn`t be obliged to check their accounts to make sure someone else has created a problem from fraud!!
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums