- VMware vSphere™ 4 complements advanced AMD Opteron™ processor technology features to enable robust and reliable cloud environment -
Sunnyvale, Calif. — April 27, 2009
· Designed to support the growing demand for efficiency and flexibility in the datacenter, AMD (NYSE: AMD) today congratulates VMware on its launch of VMware vSphere™ 4, the industry’s first operating system for building the internal cloud.
· Building on an extensive collaboration history to optimize virtualization technology for customers, AMD continues its strong relationship with VMware to deliver cost-effective and flexible cloud computing solutions. With VMware vSphere 4 running on a Quad-Core AMD Opteron™-based system with AMD-VTM technology, customers have the ability to transform their datacenter into their own internal cloud environment.
· Optimized to take advantage of AMD Opteron processor technology, VMware vSphere 4 also includes VMware Fault Tolerance, a feature designed to provide continuous availability via a live shadow instance to ensure data is constantly secure and virtual machine performance is reliable. AMD Opteron processors are uniquely architected with AMD Virtualization™ technology and Rapid Virtualization Indexing to support software features such as VMware Fault Tolerance by providing optimal reliability and stability in VMware virtualized environments.
“VMware vSphere 4 running on AMD Opteron processor-based systems work together to provide an optimal computing platform for businesses looking for a new way to take advantage of the cloud,” said Margaret Lewis, director, Commercial Solutions and Software, AMD. “Features like VMware Fault Tolerance help deliver maximum availability and aid in disaster recovery, while I/O virtualization enables new levels of performance. As AMD and VMware continue to help define the future of business computing, this is the kind of advanced technology that addresses the overall efficiency in the datacenter customers need today.”
· Margaret Lewis blog post on VMTN
· Fault tolerance post on Margaret Lewis’ blog
· VMware post on AMD’s Virtualization blog
· Video of Live Migration from “Barcelona” to “Shanghai” to “Istanbul” using VMware ESX 3.5.
· About AMD Opteron’s advanced architecture technology
Advanced Micro Devices (NYSE: AMD) is an innovative technology company dedicated to collaborating with customers and technology partners to ignite the next generation of computing and graphics solutions at work, home and play. For more information, visit www.amd.com
AMD, the AMD Arrow logo, AMD Opteron, AMD-V, AMD Virtualization, and combinations thereof, are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Other names are for informational purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners.