bit-tech.net

Gigabyte confirms Nvidia GeForce GTX 880 September launch

Gigabyte confirms Nvidia GeForce GTX 880 September launch

An unnamed executive speaking to Expreview has reportedly confirmed that Nvidia's upcoming GeForce GTX 880 graphics cards will be arriving from its hardware partners next month.

Gigabyte has jumped the gun with confirmation that it will be launching a card family based on Nvidia's latest GeForce GTX 880 design in September, ahead of the company's formal announcement of the part.

While the mobile GeForce GTX 880M part was announced back in March, Nvidia has been silent on when its desktop equivalent would hit the market. Now, an interview with a Gigabyte representative published and then deleted by Expreview, but not before techPowerUp was able to copy down the details, offers a date: September 2014.

According to the site's record of the since-deleted post, an unnamed Gigabyte executive claimed that a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 880 G1.Gamer card will be launching next month - and if Gigabyte is launching a GTX 880 part, you can bet that Nvidia's other hardware partners will be doing the same thing.

The G1.Gamer variant, the executive is said to have claimed, will feature a larger-than-average cooler capable of dissipating up to 650W of heat safely at full fan throttle, and of running the card entirely passively under lower workloads.

Sadly, Gigabyte has not provided any firm figures for the GTX 880's specifications, beyond confirmation that the part will be based on Nvidia's latest Maxwell GPU microarchitecture. Pricing has yet to be confirmed.

25 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
andrew8200m 5th August 2014, 12:07 Quote
I wonder how this will performance against the 780 Ti.. The way GPU prices are going though I cant see this being much cheaper tbh.. Im not too keen on NVidia using the lesser chip for flagship launches though like they have previously with the gtx680 etc though
Harlequin 5th August 2014, 12:23 Quote
looking at some leaked shots -seems to be unde the 780ti and more of a replacement for the 770, but a lot less money than the 780 series
Hustler 5th August 2014, 12:27 Quote
I was going to get a couple of 4GB 760 for a nice SLi setup in September....which is about the limit for my 650w Gold PSU, but with the lower power draw of these 8xx Maxwell cards, I might be tempted to wait and see if I could now get an SLi 870 or 880 setup running off it instead.
SlowMotionSuicide 5th August 2014, 13:34 Quote
Hell, it's about time.

Probably really nothing to get much excited about though.
Pete J 5th August 2014, 13:51 Quote
The more I read about this card, the more it seems geared towards excellent performance in the 1080p-1440p range for a fair price.
xaser04 5th August 2014, 14:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J
The more I read about this card, the more it seems geared towards excellent performance in the 1080p-1440p range for a fair price.

Agreed. It *should* beat the 780TI at mainstream resolutions and lose out at 4K etc. It would be odd if the next gen high end GPU (ignoring for the moment that this is a GM204 part) to be bettered by cards in the previous generation (outside of dual cards of course).

Even if we are only talking GTX770 SLI performance (with more memory) it will still be quicker than the 780TI at mainstream resolutions.
andrew8200m 5th August 2014, 14:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaser04
Agreed. It *should* beat the 780TI at mainstream resolutions and lose out at 4K etc. It would be odd if the next gen high end GPU (ignoring for the moment that this is a GM204 part) to be bettered by cards in the previous generation (outside of dual cards of course).

Even if we are only talking GTX770 SLI performance (with more memory) it will still be quicker than the 780TI at mainstream resolutions.

GM204 isn't a flagship though so why would it better a flagship? Its effective what should have been an GTXx70 rather than an 80... queue GTx680 vs GTX780/titan and so on..
jrs77 5th August 2014, 15:11 Quote
I'm still looking for a single-slot GTX750 (nonTi). There's only one I could find so far from Gainward, but nowhere to buy.

Anyways, finally a shrink to 20nm it seems, which will bring down the TDP or allow for more grunt at the same TDP.
Harlequin 5th August 2014, 15:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
I'm still looking for a single-slot GTX750 (nonTi). There's only one I could find so far from Gainward, but nowhere to buy.

Anyways, finally a shrink to 20nm it seems, which will bring down the TDP or allow for more grunt at the same TDP.



http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-gainward-gtx-750-28nm-pcie-30-(x16)-2505mhz-gddr5-gpu-1020mhz-boost-1085mhz-cores-512-vga-dvi-mh
jrs77 5th August 2014, 15:50 Quote
Quote:

Yeah, I know, but it's a UK-store whre I can't buy from.
debs3759 5th August 2014, 15:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
I'm still looking for a single-slot GTX750 (nonTi). There's only one I could find so far from Gainward, but nowhere to buy.

Anyways, finally a shrink to 20nm it seems, which will bring down the TDP or allow for more grunt at the same TDP.

Here you go:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-gainward-gtx-750-28nm-pcie-30-%28x16%29-2505mhz-gddr5-gpu-1020mhz-boost-1085mhz-cores-512-vga-dvi-mh

I'm assuming they will ship around Europe.

Edit - shoulda finished reading the thread :)
Harlequin 5th August 2014, 15:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs77
Yeah, I know, but it's a UK-store whre I can't buy from.

talk to Andrew8200m above - where he works do offer euro shipping and might be able to locate one for you ;)
Kruelnesws 5th August 2014, 16:31 Quote
My two 770s should still last, pass. But I'm curious how well it will perform. Some of these high end gpus are struggling with air coolers.
David164v8 6th August 2014, 14:23 Quote
So this is more of a 770 replacement? I hope it will be priced appropriately, say around £220 :)
Corky42 6th August 2014, 15:21 Quote
Rumors are saying it maybe priced around the $400-450 mark, knowing UK pricing that will probably workout to be around £250-300.
Nexxo 6th August 2014, 16:23 Quote
TDP or GTFO.
Hustler 6th August 2014, 17:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42
Rumors are saying it maybe priced around the $400-450 mark, knowing UK pricing that will probably workout to be around £250-300.

More like £400 knowing the price gouging gits that UK retailers are in the first week.

..yes, I'm looking at you Overclockers.
andrew8200m 6th August 2014, 17:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky42
Rumors are saying it maybe priced around the $400-450 mark, knowing UK pricing that will probably workout to be around £250-300.

+ Vendor margin, + disti margin, + etailer margin, + VAT....

So yea, 250-300+ all of that and your at £330-380.
Harlequin 6th August 2014, 18:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew8200m
+ Vendor margin, + disti margin, + etailer margin, + VAT....

So yea, 250-300+ all of that and your at £330-380.

that's GTX 780 money and they`ll be faster

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-309-AS&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1341
Corky42 6th August 2014, 19:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin
that's GTX 780 money and they`ll be faster
Going on rumors again but videocardz.com is claiming we do not know how fast GTX 880 is going to be, but it’s safe to assume it will sit above 780 and maybe even 780 Ti.
xaser04 7th August 2014, 11:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew8200m
GM204 isn't a flagship though so why would it better a flagship? Its effective what should have been an GTXx70 rather than an 80... queue GTx680 vs GTX780/titan and so on..

Because just like the GTX680 (GK104)* the GTX880 will be the new "flagship" card from Nvidia until the GM200 (Titan 2/GTX980?) is ready. It would be daft for the 880 to be slower than the 780xx (at mainstream resolutions at least) given from a marketing perspective it is the new "flagship" (that would be tough sell otherwise).

*The GTX680 after all was based on the "mid range" GK104 and yet easily surpassed the "flagship" GTX580 in out right performance terms.

This of course assumes the GK104-GK110 timeline repeats itself.
lysaer 7th August 2014, 11:19 Quote
With the new Intel chips and 880s coming it's gonna be an expensive month!

Sent from my SM-T325 using Tapatalk
Pete J 9th August 2014, 17:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by lysaer
With the new Intel chips and 880s coming it's gonna be an expensive month!

Sent from my SM-T325 using Tapatalk

Ha! :D

Are you rocking 4k yet lysaer? If so I wait to see how the 880 performs as knowing you you have a trio (or maybe more) of Titans which stand a chance of performing better. Plus there have been rumours of a Titan 2 release early next year.
lysaer 11th August 2014, 21:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J
Ha! :D

Are you rocking 4k yet lysaer? If so I wait to see how the 880 performs as knowing you you have a trio (or maybe more) of Titans which stand a chance of performing better. Plus there have been rumours of a Titan 2 release early next year.

Nah still got the 3 x u3011, I think I will upgrade to 4k now the prices have come down but I really couldn't justify the initial prices on the 30 inch 4k screens, the Dell u3214q is probably going to be around £1500 so I will get 3 of those.

I sold the titans and got Ti's since they were faster and didn't bother with the titan black since the impending release of the 880's would have dated a 3 grand gpu to fast.

To be honest I was so disappointed with nvidias marketing with regards to Titans and the TI series I doubt I will ever buy another one from the Titan range.

I spent £2600 on 3 Titan gpu's and literally 6 months later maybe not even, nvidia release the TI which was faster and half the price, which pretty much was a massive F*&K you to all Titan owners.



Sent from my SM-T325 using Tapatalk
Noob? 11th August 2014, 21:35 Quote
LOL, who needs 4K when you've 3 x U3011's, hey lysaer?
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums