AOC offers up u3477Pqu 34in ultra-wide 3,440 x 1,440 monitor

AOC offers up u3477Pqu 34in ultra-wide 3,440 x 1,440 monitor

Ultra-wide monitors can be very immersive in games but have traditionally been limited by a vertical resolution of 1,080 pixels.

AOC has announced the u3477Pqu - an ultra-wide WQHD IPS monitor that sports a massive 34in display.

Not only is the display area 5in larger diagonally compared to original 29in models we saw over the last couple of years, the resolution has received a hefty hike too.

Unlike older 21:9 monitors, the u3477Pqu has a resolution of 3,440 x 1,440, meaning it sits between a 2,560 x 1,600 display and 4K in terms of pixel count - 4.95 million pixels to be excact, spread over a panoramic 8-bit +FRC display.

The increased vertical resolution is likely to be an important factor with previous ultra-wide monitors suffering from a maximum 1,080 pixels, which could feel quite restrictive, particularly for image editing and other tasks.

However, they were great for gaming and the u3477Pqu's aspect ratio means its perfect for viewing windows side by side - potentially a replacement for dual monitor setups.

A pixel response time of 5ms isn't up to TN standards and the 60Hz refresh rate isn't going to do anything for hard core gamers or 144Hz screen fans (if that's you you'd be wise to check out our recent gaming monitor roundup), but it's likely to fare well with most gamers and movies should look pretty spectacular too.

AOC offers up u3477Pqu 34in ultra-wide 3,440 x 1,440 monitor *AOC Offers Up u3477Pqu 34in Ultra-Wide 3440 x 1440 Monitor AOC offers up u3477Pqu 34in ultra-wide 3,440 x 1,440 monitor *AOC Offers Up u3477Pqu 34in Ultra-Wide 3440 x 1440 Monitor

Furthermore, AOC equips the 34in monitor with four USB ports, two each of USB 2 and USB 3, while there are also DisplayPort, DVI and HDMI inputs and a stand that appears to be fully adjustable too.

The u3477Pqu looks set to retail at £499 inc VAT. This is considerably cheaper than current 34in 21:9 offerings from Dell and LG, though it's the same price as many 4K displays.

Dogbert666 23rd July 2014, 08:34 Quote
WANT
Margo Baggins 23rd July 2014, 08:55 Quote
That's a smart looking monitor. I agree, WANT.
ChaosDefinesOrder 23rd July 2014, 09:03 Quote
My idea of "reasonable" might be a little distorted these days, but that seems like bloody good value, no? Last time I looked (admittedly a fair while ago now), the 27" 16:10 with 2560x1440 monitors were close to £800...
Combatus 23rd July 2014, 09:05 Quote
Having spent a fair amount of time with a 29in super-wide screen last year, I was totally sold on the aspect ratio. Only the 1080p vertical res prevented me from buying one. I can see my wallet quivering in the corner...
Hustler 23rd July 2014, 09:16 Quote
If I were spending this much on a monitor these days, I'd at least want G-Sync built in...and I suspect most potential customers looking for a gaming monitor will be put off because of it's absence.
xaser04 23rd July 2014, 09:23 Quote
This might actually tempt me away from running triple screens.
Parge 23rd July 2014, 10:28 Quote
21:9 monitors are the way forward!

Nothing better than playing games in an ultra wide aspect ratio. With regards to the 29”-ers I’d still recommend them over this to most people, I know some people complain about the 1080p vertical res, but I definitely don’t want to go any higher – I can’t afford the hardware to drive a 4mp display, let alone 5mp!

Its personal preference really, but I’d prefer to have a 29” with all the bells and whistles at 60fps than a 34” with lowered quality settings or a lower fps (I mean, obviously I’d rather have the best of both worlds, but until I win the lottery....!)

Still a nice display and I thoroughly recommend the aspect ratio to any and all gamers out there!
Impatience 23rd July 2014, 10:47 Quote
Originally Posted by Parge
21:9 monitors are the way forward!

You COULD run it at the 1080p vertical res on the 34" untill you have the hardware, it's not going to look THAT much worse.. Right?
Maki role 23rd July 2014, 10:50 Quote
Gah, these monitors are infuriating. I really like the aspect ratio and immersive effect, but the extra vertical real estate of a UHD monitor is more useful for me (much better for 3D workflows certainly). Now I'm just stuck waiting and wondering which to look into grabbing. I'll probably wait another year to see what the near future brings. Still waiting for a moderately affordable, 60Hz IPS UHD monitor to hit the market.
RichCreedy 23rd July 2014, 11:00 Quote
i'd prefer to see monitors not with g-sync but freesync (adaptive-sync), which has been accepted as a vesa standard now.
GeorgeStorm 23rd July 2014, 12:13 Quote
That seems like a very good price!

Not sure if it's worth waiting a bit to see if more higher res monitors come out, maybe with higher refresh rates, or just commit to a 120hz+ monitor now, the bit-tech roundup may have finally convinced me.
[ZiiP] NaloaC 15th August 2014, 12:24 Quote
Just checked on the AOC website, this is due for release in October :)
Looking to do an overhaul of my i7 920 based rig with a new CPU, motherboard and RAM (hopefully DDR4) as well as a new monitor, so this is looking like a viable option.
Noob? 15th August 2014, 12:52 Quote
I think I'm looking at my next monitor, the PB278Q and the BenQ XL2420T are probably on their way out! :'( :)
[ZiiP] NaloaC 15th August 2014, 13:45 Quote
I'm rocking a 4 or 5 year old iiyama Prolote E2607WSD and it's been great. I adore the large screen and I can't see myself going for anything smaller ever again to be honest. The 34" would be great with the engineering designing that I do for my consultancy job as well as gaming and movies.