bit-tech.net

Corsair prices AX1500i Digital ATX PSU

Corsair prices AX1500i Digital ATX PSU

The Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX PSU has been priced ahead of its UK launch later this month, with a £449.95 RRP sitting it at the very top end of the market.

Corsair has announced the impending release of the world's first 1,500W power supply to feature 80 PLUS Titanium certification, promising greater than 94 per cent efficiency.

The Corsair AX1500i Digital ATX PSU, as the product is known, is based around a second-generation architecture featuring a digital signal processor (DSP) to control power output. The result, the company claims, is tighter control over the voltage for a more stable system, even under full-load conditions. The boosted efficiency also reduces the amount of energy wasted as heat, allowing the PSU to operate without its 140mm fan at loads of up to 450W.

As you might expect from a high-wattage PSU, the Corsair AX1500i includes plenty of connectors: eight PCI Express power cables are included as standard, offering ten total connectors to power GPUs. These are sleeved and fully modular, along with all other cables comprising an ATX connector, two EPS connectors, two floppy connectors, 12 four-pin Molex connectors and an impressive 20 SATA connectors. A USB connection is also available for integration with the Corsair Link system monitoring and control software system.

'After we released the AX1200i, the world’s first digital ATX PSU, our customers came to us asking for an even higher wattage AXi PSU to power their most demanding PCs,' claimed Aaron Neal, product manager of PSUs at Corsair, of the new product launch. 'For them, we created AX1500i with more power and 80 PLUS Titanium efficiency. We look forward to seeing the extreme dream PCs that top enthusiasts power with AX1500i.'

The performance of the AX1500i does come at a price, however. Corsair has confirmed that the PSU will be available in the UK later this month, with a recommended retail price of £449.95 - a considerable premium over the US RRP of $449.99 announced back in January even taking VAT into account. Full details are available on the official site.

23 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
MjFrosty 1st May 2014, 12:51 Quote
If it's as bad as the 1200i I wouldn't touch this. Seasonic OEM this time?
megamale 1st May 2014, 13:05 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by MjFrosty
If it's as bad as the 1200i I wouldn't touch this. Seasonic OEM this time?

What is bad about the 1200i? I have it (although had to return one because of electric buzzing noise), it has been fine. And I have been running it 24/7 in 1000W mining rig without issues.



Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
GeorgeK 1st May 2014, 13:12 Quote
Wow... That's ridiculously expensive... If you needed a 1.5kW supply then you can get one for only just over £300... (linky)
Maki role 1st May 2014, 13:22 Quote
Well according to JonnyGURU's review it's the best unit he's ever tested, scoring perfect tens on each round. As for the price, I think if you're considering using a 1500W PSU, the liklehood is that the extra £150 for this unit over the enermax is neither here nor there really in the scheme of things.
Chris_Waddle 1st May 2014, 13:26 Quote
I also have a 1200i and have had no issues with it at all; rock solid for me.

I've actually been looking out for a more powerful supply due to running 3 x 290x's.
I've been put off buying other makes as I am using the replacement Corsair braided cables and don't really want to replace them too.

I would have found this very tempting indeed, but at £450, they can go fish.
MjFrosty 1st May 2014, 13:29 Quote
The 1200i is a terrible PSU. They're no longer manufactured by Seasonic, mine too also had an electronic buzz, both of them. They also wouldn't run my three Titans at stock without tripping.

The original 1200AX is a much better PSU.

The Superflower 1200W Platinum will suit your needs for three 290X. They've been known to run four in fact but I'm not sure if that's been tested with additional voltage through them.
ZeDestructor 1st May 2014, 15:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by MjFrosty
The 1200i is a terrible PSU. They're no longer manufactured by Seasonic, mine too also had an electronic buzz, both of them. They also wouldn't run my three Titans at stock without tripping.

The original 1200AX is a much better PSU.

The Superflower 1200W Platinum will suit your needs for three 290X. They've been known to run four in fact but I'm not sure if that's been tested with additional voltage through them.

The AX1200i has never been a Seasonic design, and neither is it a Superflower design. In fact, its a Flextronics design, which is right up there with Delta, and from what I gather, considered ahead of Seasonic in terms of design and build quality.

Source: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=300

Edit: btw, electric buzz is likely a bad batch. Those happen if you build enough of the things.

Edit2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki role
Well according to JonnyGURU's review it's the best unit he's ever tested, scoring perfect tens on each round. As for the price, I think if you're considering using a 1500W PSU, the liklehood is that the extra £150 for this unit over the enermax is neither here nor there really in the scheme of things.

Just finished reading the review.. perfect 10... first ever... daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn
MjFrosty 1st May 2014, 16:00 Quote
I never said it was SuperFlower....nor did I say it was Seasonic. The AX1200 was Seasonic, and is a far superior PSU. Don't believe all the reviews you read, I've not seen a single bad review for the 1200i. And it is by far the worst high PSU on the market. I am not alone in thinking this, those of us who have pushed them have seen them fall over.
ZeDestructor 1st May 2014, 16:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by MjFrosty
I never said it was SuperFlower....nor did I say it was Seasonic. The AX1200 was Seasonic, and is a far superior PSU. Don't believe all the reviews you read, I've not seen a single bad review for the 1200i. And it is by far the worst high PSU on the market. I am not alone in thinking this, those of us who have pushed them have seen them fall over.

You said they are no longer manufactured by Seasonic. This implies you believe they were previously. AX!= AXi.

As a non-owner of any AXi PSUs, I can't say anything about your unit, but I have had my fair share of hardware failures, ranging from the graceful, easily fixed and/or not worth RMAing to stuff I had to RMA within hours of the defect appearing (Xperia Z letting water in)
N17 dizzi 1st May 2014, 16:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by MjFrosty
I never said it was SuperFlower....nor did I say it was Seasonic. The AX1200 was Seasonic, and is a far superior PSU. Don't believe all the reviews you read, I've not seen a single bad review for the 1200i. And it is by far the worst high PSU on the market. I am not alone in thinking this, those of us who have pushed them have seen them fall over.

Can you back these statements up with any proof?
MjFrosty 1st May 2014, 16:50 Quote
I shouldn't have to back anything up. I've used Corsair PSUs for many years, I've no reason to bad-mouth the Digital units for no reason. They're just sub par and that is that. If having two units, both of which cannot handle three Titans at stock let alone 1.3v is not enough of a reason to bash them then I don't know what else to say to you.

Here is Ian (8-Packs) opinion on them after using them for record attempts.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25632704&postcount=11

As I've said already, the original AX series are a much better PSU, I'd happily use one over the Digital.

EDIT: There is every as much chance that the 1500w unit may be better, however I personally having the experience I've had with the previous units think the price tag is a little bit extreme, especially when there are already a few exceptional 1500s on the market already.
Jim 1st May 2014, 17:31 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maki role
Well according to JonnyGURU's review it's the best unit he's ever tested, scoring perfect tens on each round. As for the price, I think if you're considering using a 1500W PSU, the liklehood is that the extra £150 for this unit over the enermax is neither here nor there really in the scheme of things.

Isn't the guy behind JonnyGURU employed by Corsair?
Gareth Halfacree 1st May 2014, 17:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by snootyjim
Isn't the guy behind JonnyGURU employed by Corsair?
Yes. Yes, he is. And he got the job before he posted the test results for the AX1200i, despite saying he wasn't going to do any more PSU reviews to avoid a conflict of interest. I have no horse in that race, but I'd certainly take his AX1200i "mini-review" with a whole heaped helping of salt. I note, however, that he didn't write the AX1500i review linked upthread.
jinq-sea 1st May 2014, 17:44 Quote
FWIW the original AX1200 was a Flextronics-made PSU too, as far as I understood. I owned one for a fair while and I thought that it was excellent.
wafflesomd 1st May 2014, 19:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by MjFrosty
I shouldn't have to back anything up.

Said religion.
Redbeard 1st May 2014, 20:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Yes. Yes, he is. And he got the job before he posted the test results for the AX1200i, despite saying he wasn't going to do any more PSU reviews to avoid a conflict of interest. I have no horse in that race, but I'd certainly take his AX1200i "mini-review" with a whole heaped helping of salt. I note, however, that he didn't write the AX1500i review linked upthread.


Jon hasn't reviewed products in years. Before he worked for us, he worked for Razer, BFG, and a number of other tech companies. He retired from the site years ago and the reviews are done by either Tazz or Oklahoma Wolf.

The AX1200i review was Tazz, not Jon.
Gareth Halfacree 1st May 2014, 21:09 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
The AX1200i review was Tazz, not Jon.
Fair enough - I'd never even heard of the guy before this thread. I was only going by Jon himself saying: "Early next week I'm posting load test results for the AX1200i. Sort of a mini-review."
KayinBlack 2nd May 2014, 18:51 Quote
I just ordered one. My 4 290x setup should be fine with this.
brave758 4th May 2014, 07:20 Quote
I got a 1200i and its been solid, if its anything to go by the 1500i should be great too
Kovoet 4th May 2014, 09:09 Quote
Installed a 1200I yesterday and so far happy. I love the 7yr warranty which in itself is a huge statement of trust in it's product
littlepuppi 4th May 2014, 19:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinq-sea
FWIW the original AX1200 was a Flextronics-made PSU too, as far as I understood. I owned one for a fair while and I thought that it was excellent.

You are right mate, I read frosts post and thought exactly the same.
KayinBlack 4th May 2014, 19:28 Quote
Flextronics, Etasis and Delta are my favorite PSU OEMs. Server PSUs generally trump consumer class stuff easily.
G0UDG 4th May 2014, 22:48 Quote
I also own a 1200i and have been running my PC 24/7 since first installing it with no problems whatsoever its rock solid and every bit as good as the enermax revolution it replaced in fact its better
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums