bit-tech.net

Dennis launches new iPad magazine

Dennis launches new iPad magazine

Padder, a magazine all about the iPad, is only available via the iPad

Today sees a new arrival to the Dennis Publishing fold, but this is no ordinary magazine or website launch. Our parent company's new title Padder, which is all about the Apple iPad, will only be available via Apple's all-conquering tablet.

Available every fortnight, Padder will showcase everything there is to do with the iPad, from reviews of apps, games and peripherals to informative how-to-guides to help people get the most from their iPad.

'Padder is a bold experiment,' claims Padder’s publisher, Paul Rayner. 'It isn’t a print magazine that’s been hastily ported onto the iPad, but a magazine designed and built specifically for the iPad. We have deliberately kept the file size as small as possible, to avoid chewing up people's download limits.'

As some of you may know, bit-tech is part of a larger parent company, Dennis Publishing, which has a portfolio stuffed full of quality titles, such as PC Pro, Bizarre and even Viz.

Padder will usually cost £1.19, but the first issue is available to download absolutely free via iTunes. Head to padderapp.com for more details.

43 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
coolius 6th July 2011, 15:08 Quote
cue the Android backlash....
will_123 6th July 2011, 15:15 Quote
Just out of interest can you buy the customPC mag on ipad as like an ebook?
wuyanxu 6th July 2011, 15:19 Quote
i don't like the way this is heading, why are electronic contents costing so much? when apps such as Flipboard can make any website feed feel like a magazine index page and experience feel like reading a magazine?

Flipboard -> bit-tech.net twitter feed -> job done.

i have tried a few free magazines on my ipad, sorry, experience is totally different, worse due to the smaller screen compared to a full sized (pre-CPC redesign) magazine, text are harder to read.

please consider a free-to-read magazine, but instead use advertisement? clickable ads? iAd? don't mind ads, just don't want to pay for an inferior magazine experience.
Baz 6th July 2011, 15:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_123
Just out of interest can you buy the customPC mag on ipad as like an ebook?

Yes you can! You can buy issues of Custom PC via http://gb.zinio.com/ - There's a Zinio viewer app for Android, iPhone and iPad.
leveller 6th July 2011, 15:33 Quote
Naysayers beware. The future IS interactive reading. Imagine fantasy books where the illustrated dragon comes to life at the turn of a page. Imagine videos embedded next to their descriptions. etc etc etc.

But then again, iPads will never take off ... touchscreen tech is a waste of R&D budgets ... oh ... erm ...
Lizard 6th July 2011, 15:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_123
Just out of interest can you buy the customPC mag on ipad as like an ebook?

Just to add to Baz's post above, you can also buy a native iOS copy of Custom PC on the itunes store here.
Parge 6th July 2011, 15:54 Quote
Is it only £1.19 for the full issue of CustomPC? Is that right! Wow, now I want an iPad!
WarrenJ 6th July 2011, 15:56 Quote
Is there really a population of iPads out there that is worth the development costs for such a service.

Sorry to sound sceptical, i am yet to come across anyone who has one and uses it for anything other than smacking a cat.
digitaldave 6th July 2011, 16:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenJ
Is there really a population of iPads out there that is worth the development costs for such a service.

our london office is full of them, at least half the staff have them and some try their hardest to do everything on them, those ones dont even start their computer most days (emails calendar documents etc nothing too demanding)
Jake123456 6th July 2011, 16:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitaldave
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenJ
Is there really a population of iPads out there that is worth the development costs for such a service.

our london office is full of them, at least half the staff have them and some try their hardest to do everything on them, those ones dont even start their computer most days (emails calendar documents etc nothing too demanding)

I work in a college, and a hell of alot of staff members have them.


Remember, iPads are most useful in a buisness enviroment. (My opinion on them)
XXAOSICXX 6th July 2011, 19:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenJ
Is there really a population of iPads out there that is worth the development costs for such a service.

Sorry to sound sceptical, i am yet to come across anyone who has one and uses it for anything other than smacking a cat.

No. My office has a few. People bring them to meetings WITH their laptops. Idiots. Publishers are doing it because people aren't buying print any more. They don't want to lose revenue, so they use gimmicks like iPad versions to raise the money they're missing out on. Unfortunately, for the non Jobs-loving masses, or what's left of them, "websites" and the free-internet are more than enough, and you can view those on just about anything.

"Check out my £600 e-magazine reader and notepad". *whistles sarcastically*
<A88> 6th July 2011, 19:51 Quote
Just downloaded it, didn't find too much useful content that I didn't already know but I can imagine it being great for those less technically inclined. I also liked the fact that it uses the same software as the Wired magazine app, which is pretty lovely to use.
XXAOSICXX 6th July 2011, 19:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by <A88>
I can imagine it being great for those less technically inclined

The iPad? Yeah...I agree :p
<A88> 6th July 2011, 19:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
No. My office has a few. People bring them to meetings WITH their laptops. Idiots. Publishers are doing it because people aren't buying print any more. They don't want to lose revenue, so they use gimmicks like iPad versions to raise the money they're missing out on. Unfortunately, for the non Jobs-loving masses, or what's left of them, "websites" and the free-internet are more than enough, and you can view those on just about anything.

"Check out my £600 e-magazine reader and notepad". *whistles sarcastically*

How is it difficult to see that iPads and laptops/desktops serve different purposes? I use my PC for productivity and more intensive tasks as well as more general browsing, but my iPad is great for casually perusing news stories in bed or sticking in the bag and taking pretty much anywhere. It's so nice to have all my magazines, books, a dozen games and full-screen internet access with me on tap when at work or on a train instead of having to pack half a dozen things into my bag to keep me occupied.

Of course, to people like you anyone who wants a more ubiquitous and streamlined computing experience at times are just Apple shills who haven't heard of netbooks, right?
XXAOSICXX 6th July 2011, 20:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by <A88>
Of course, to people like you anyone who wants a more ubiquitous and streamlined computing experience at times are just Apple shills who haven't heard of netbooks, right?

Wrong, but spoken like a true fan-boy. Full marks.
<A88> 6th July 2011, 20:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by <A88>
Of course, to people like you anyone who wants a more ubiquitous and streamlined computing experience at times are just Apple shills who haven't heard of netbooks, right?

Wrong, but spoken like a true fan-boy. Full marks.

What gives you the impression I'm a fanboy? You seem to have answered my question with by confirming it :|
XXAOSICXX 6th July 2011, 20:15 Quote
Because not everyone who "wants a more ubiquitous and streamlined computing experience at times" wants to own a bloody iPad.

There are a multitude of non-Apple smartphones, tablets and netbooks that are out there and the inevitable response of the fan-boy to any sort of suggestion that somebody might want to do something "streamlined" is to make the assumption that the solution to the problem is an Apple one.

Only the Apple fan base seems quite content to spend unnecessary money on over-priced goods (be it the hardware itself, or e-magazines, or pointless apps) when everyone else in the world knows you can get exactly the same thing for free, or for less, elsewhere and be just as happy. Sure, they don't get the warm fuzzy feeling that Steve Jobs is a little richer, but they all cope.

A case in point. On Tuesday I had a debate in my office with a colleague who was telling me the pure genius that was "being able to listen to his music absolutely anywhere because a new Apple service in 'the cloud' lets him listen to his music from all of his devices - and for only £25 a year!". The puzzled looks on the faces of myself and my colleagues as we explained that everyone else has been able to do that, for free, for years and years were priceless.

So, back to the original point. The assumption that "the apple way is the only way" makes on a fan-boy. Perhaps I judged you too quickly :)
<A88> 6th July 2011, 20:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
Because not everyone who "wants a more ubiquitous and streamlined computing experience at times" wants to own a bloody iPad.

There are a multitude of non-Apple smartphones, tablets and netbooks that are out there and the inevitable response of the fan-boy to any sort of suggestion that somebody might want to do something "streamlined" is to make the assumption that the solution to the problem is an Apple one.

Only the Apple fan base seems quite content to spend unnecessary money on over-priced goods (be it the hardware itself, or e-magazines, or pointless apps) when everyone else in the world knows you can get exactly the same thing for free, or for less, elsewhere and be just as happy. Sure, they don't get the warm fuzzy feeling that Steve Jobs is a little richer, but they all cope.

A case in point. On Tuesday I had a debate in my office with a colleague who was telling me the pure genius that was "being able to listen to his music absolutely anywhere because a new Apple service in 'the cloud' lets him listen to his music from all of his devices - and for only £25 a year!". The puzzled looks on the faces of myself and my colleagues as we explained that everyone else has been able to do that, for free, for years and years were priceless.

So, back to the original point. The assumption that "the apple way is the only way" makes on a fan-boy. Perhaps I judged you too quickly :)

Too quickly is about right, given that the iPad is the first and only Apple product I've ever owned.

My phone? A Palm Pre, because it was better than the iPhone 3G when it came out. My MP3 player? A Zune, because I like the Zune Pass and think it's a superior MP3 player the the iPod. I've also owned a Windows based HP convertible laptop/tablet years before the iPad came out and they don't really compare. I never denied that there are better alternatives to Apple's offerings, although as far as the tablet space is concerned there aren't really yet, but I took issue with you saying that essentially anyone who buys into tablet computing is an idiot with too much money.

Given that the only products which come close to the iPad (Asus Transformer, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, HP Touchpad) are all the same price, there's no basis to claim the old Apple Tax either. I also don't see where you're coming from with the whole pointless apps and wasting money on emagazines point? I save a fortune on books using the Kindle app, and the 59p I spent on the Countdown game has kept me and the girlfriend occupied for what must be hours now (read into that what you will).
Sloth 6th July 2011, 21:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
Because not everyone who "wants a more ubiquitous and streamlined computing experience at times" wants to own a bloody iPad.
Because it provides a ubiquitous and streamlined computing experience. :?
Quote:

There are a multitude of non-Apple smartphones, tablets and netbooks that are out there and the inevitable response of the fan-boy to any sort of suggestion that somebody might want to do something "streamlined" is to make the assumption that the solution to the problem is an Apple one.

Only the Apple fan base seems quite content to spend unnecessary money on over-priced goods (be it the hardware itself, or e-magazines, or pointless apps) when everyone else in the world knows you can get exactly the same thing for free, or for less, elsewhere and be just as happy. Sure, they don't get the warm fuzzy feeling that Steve Jobs is a little richer, but they all cope.
You might find that quite a few people enjoy iOS and the iPad as a piece of hardware, there are quite a few areas where comparisons aren't black and white. Afterall, millions of people own iPads and are the majority of tablet owners overall. I guess those several million people are all fanboys, eh? Here's a shocking concept: different people have different wants and needs in a product. In the tablet market specifically the iPad is really quite a good offering.

Now, whether tablets are really all that useful is a totally different discussion...
Quote:

A case in point. On Tuesday I had a debate in my office with a colleague who was telling me the pure genius that was "being able to listen to his music absolutely anywhere because a new Apple service in 'the cloud' lets him listen to his music from all of his devices - and for only £25 a year!". The puzzled looks on the faces of myself and my colleagues as we explained that everyone else has been able to do that, for free, for years and years were priceless.
For some reason I highly doubt you and your colleague are talking about comparable services. To be clear, iCloud is a remote storage tool, files may be stored in "the cloud", aka a remote storage center, and accessed remotely by various devices, in this case Apple products and software. You'd be hard pressed to find many cloud storage services which offer large amounts of storage for free, Apple isn't alone in charging a fee and I believe also offer a free package with less storage. Now, whether or not he has any real use for cloud based storage is another question. If he's just using it to play music on his desktop and iPad/Phone/Pod he's likely wasting his money as it's very simple to download your music onto each device. The advantage of cloud storage is being able to access his files from a location/device which couldn't feasibly have the files downloaded onto it.


I swear some people just about have a nervous breakdown the moment a different person trying to happily live their lives finds a use for an Apple product.
leveller 6th July 2011, 21:28 Quote
Rumour mill suggests iPad2v2 due this year with the retina display ...

Sign me up!
wuyanxu 6th July 2011, 22:42 Quote
not sure what is wrong with liking iOS. have you compared iPad 2 against competitors? higher spec'd tablets with 1GB RAM give you a worse user experience due to stuttering and unresponsiveness.

not everyone want to tweak their tablet experience down to the bone. it's all about app experience, and iPad with iOS offers a much wider range experience. so there's a reason people choose it, not because they go for shinny products, they go for solid products.
Jehla 6th July 2011, 22:58 Quote
A magazine on my iPad about the iPad? I'll pass, what I really need is a series of tv programs about my toshiba regaza 37" TV.
Bindibadgi 7th July 2011, 02:46 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by <A88>
Of course, to people like you anyone who wants a more ubiquitous and streamlined computing experience at times are just Apple shills who haven't heard of netbooks, right?

Tablets don't replace netbooks though.

On the topic of iPads for business, as much as I'd like to drop Outlook like a brick off a cliff, I find it hard to think the iPad can do meetings, secure messaging, internal communications, remote access for IT management and remote backups business' require. MS kind of has the monopoly there. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Reading mags on the loo though - ****in a!
brave758 7th July 2011, 07:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolius
cue the Android backlash....

cue apple fanboys......
Yslen 7th July 2011, 08:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller
Naysayers beware. The future IS interactive reading. Imagine fantasy books where the illustrated dragon comes to life at the turn of a page

I was reading one of those yesterday... it's called Dragon Age.
CrazyJoe 7th July 2011, 09:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenJ

Sorry to sound sceptical, i am yet to come across anyone who has one and uses it for anything other than smacking a cat.

There's plenty of things an ipad can be used for! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEfcy_u0-YM
Guinevere 7th July 2011, 09:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXAOSICXX
A new Apple service in 'the cloud' lets him listen to his music from all of his devices - and for only £25 a year!". The puzzled looks on the faces of myself and my colleagues as we explained that everyone else has been able to do that, for free, for years and years were priceless.

But you're talking complete rubbish. It hasn't been available for years and years and it hasn't been free. Google and Amazon have only recently released their respective cloud / locker things. And only yesterday Amazon have dropped their price to compete with Apple's as they were too expensive.
Guinevere 7th July 2011, 09:42 Quote
Here's a lovely thing I read the other day in the WSJ another looking at why iPad like tablets are not selling.

"Consumers don't want tablets - they want ipads"

http://dthin.gs/qu3pu5
wuyanxu 7th July 2011, 09:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
Here's a lovely thing I read the other day in the WSJ another looking at why iPad like tablets are not selling.

"Consumers don't want tablets - they want ipads"

http://dthin.gs/qu3pu5
50% in both country, how convenient :)

following my user experience point, this is the article that lays it out with better wording: http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/06/30/why-cant-anyone-make-a-tablet-better-than-the-ipad-touch/

i know it's posted in apple section of that website, but you can't escape the fact other tablets are not as responsive as ipad, the user experience they offers just not there. (windows phone 7 also has good touch user responsiveness, but that's not on tablets yet)
CrazyJoe 7th July 2011, 09:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere
Here's a lovely thing I read the other day in the WSJ another looking at why iPad like tablets are not selling.

"Consumers don't want tablets - they want ipads"

http://dthin.gs/qu3pu5

I'm a consumer and I want an Andy Pad!

http://www.andypad.co.uk/
<A88> 7th July 2011, 10:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
Tablets don't replace netbooks though.

That's the point I was making :)
Quote:

On the topic of iPads for business, as much as I'd like to drop Outlook like a brick off a cliff, I find it hard to think the iPad can do meetings, secure messaging, internal communications, remote access for IT management and remote backups business' require. MS kind of has the monopoly there. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

Reading mags on the loo though - ****in a!

Can't say my PIM needs have ever been more than syncing my Hotmail calendar, contacts and email so you're probably right there.

Spot on with the loo as well.
Da_Rude_Baboon 7th July 2011, 11:08 Quote
The name "padder" and that horrible logo/art style put me off it instantly.

The other half subscribes to Olive magazine and we get the iPad edition of the BBC Good Food magazine for free and its brilliant! All the magazine goodness with out pages of adverts, no magazines cluttering up my house and less to fill up the recycling box.
adam_bagpuss 7th July 2011, 11:14 Quote
my main gripe with the ipad is that as a device its fine and has some good things going for it. however people dont buy ipads because they have a need they buy ipads then try to find a need for it. Average joe fills this with youtube with friends, showing friends facebook pictures or playing stupid games for 5mins/day.

All this so he can tell his friends he owns an ipad and its OMFG amazing and its the best thing since slice bread and i cant believe i only paid £500+ for it

wait what....

you paid £500-700 for a device you use to check facebook, play rubbish games, check hotmail and watch youtube ?
Guinevere 7th July 2011, 11:21 Quote
Well I've "read" Padder, and I'm really not sure what the point of it is (Other than to be a vesel for advertising space). I'm sorry, but the content is not for me and I'm not sure who it would be aimed at.

It's not detailed enough (at all!) to be worth paying for regularly and it's not quite targeted at "You got yourself an iPad so here's what it can do". Well I hope it's not targeted at that segment as really, by the time consumers discover padder, they'll already know everything they need to know.

My main gripe? Such shallow content. It's all advert, there's no reviews, no editorial, no commentary. It's all just "Here's a few games (but we won't tell you anything about them or whether we like them)" and "Here's a few speakers (but we'll spend half the review talking about their names and nothing about how they sound)"

Agghhh give me better content, I know you can do it!
Guinevere 7th July 2011, 11:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_bagpuss
they buy ipads then try to find a need for it.

And why are you griping about that?

People buy all sorts of things because they are cool and then come up with cool things to do with them. I've done it with:

Clothes, Food ingredients, Power tools, Art materials, Furniture, Photography equipment, Gadgets, Make-up and my first every computer in 81.

It's a very human and natural thing to do. You see something new/clever/cool/funky/flashy and you're like "I want... I want... I want".

Maybe you're too logical to ever have acted like this, but stop griping at those who don't fit into your very narrow definition of what people should do.
adam_bagpuss 7th July 2011, 11:47 Quote
why would you buy something then try to find a use for it ?

people dont buy PC, laptops or phones this way.
wuyanxu 7th July 2011, 11:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere

Agghhh give me better content, I know you can do it!

try this?
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/download-now-ilounges-ipad-2-buyers-guide/
steveo_mcg 7th July 2011, 12:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_bagpuss
why would you buy something then try to find a use for it ?

people dont buy PC, laptops or phones this way.

Of course they do! If they didn't smart phones wouldn't exist we'd all be using Nokia 1 series. People buy computers for a limited task "browsing the web" "word" then find them selves annoyed that it can't play Crysis.
adam_bagpuss 7th July 2011, 12:25 Quote
Quote:
Of course they do! If they didn't smart phones wouldn't exist we'd all be using Nokia 1 series. People buy computers for a limited task "browsing the web" "word" then find them selves annoyed that it can't play Crysis.

your not getting my point

So they had a need i.e. web browsing and word but then decided after they also would like to game. They didnt say ya know what im gunna buy me one of those PC things to sit in my room and find something to do on it.

A lot of people buy ipads because 1. there friends have them, 2. so they can say they're cool
steveo_mcg 7th July 2011, 13:03 Quote
I sincerely doubt any one drops £400 on a tool of any kind with out thinking what it will be used for on a rudimental level even if they never use it they'll have at least thought that would be good for "web browsing" or "word" etc.
longweight 7th July 2011, 13:09 Quote
This is such a boring debate!

If someone wants an iPad to fit in, fine why not? If someone wants one to use the cloud service then what is wrong with that? It has a market like any product, if you disagree then that is fine but you can't totally dismiss the product and say that the android ones do the same thing for less money.

I love my android HTC desire but the apps are s**t compared to iOS!

People need to deal with that fact that apple products appeal mainly to those that have to have the latest gadget, aren't that into technology and just want something user friendly and simple or those that can actually use it productively.

Knocking the iPad is just old and boring, I don't own one or intend to but I can see the appeal and the many reasons to own one.
Anfield 9th July 2011, 19:30 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveller
But then again, iPads will never take off ... touchscreen tech is a waste of R&D budgets ... oh ... erm ...

I disagree, why? for anything thats not serious work or gaming you don't need the performance of a proper pc or notebook and can also avoid the bulk, power consumption (very important in the uk for example where elec costs a fortune) and boot time at the same time, seriously firing up a PC just to read emails or such is a complete waste.
leveller 9th July 2011, 20:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfield
I disagree, why? for anything thats not serious work or gaming you don't need the performance of a proper pc or notebook and can also avoid the bulk, power consumption (very important in the uk for example where elec costs a fortune) and boot time at the same time, seriously firing up a PC just to read emails or such is a complete waste.

Dude, my sarcasm was lost on you! Since the iPad1 was first announced as an idea in the mind of an Apple engineer, this forum and many hundreds of others have been filled with crowd-pleasing anti-Apple, anti-tablet rants. Usually these rants go along the lines of "its all marketing rubbish, no one needs one" and "apple are brainwashing their customers into thinking they need one". I was just reminiscing and laughing at those funny days of nonsense ;)

Sent from my iPad
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums