bit-tech.net

Sony finally enters tablet market

Sony finally enters tablet market

One of the two tablets detailed by Sony sports an unusual clamshell design.

Sony has officially thrown its hat into the tablet market by taking the wraps off its forthcoming S1 and S2 tablets.

Both products are set to be based on Google’s increasingly ubiquitous Android operating system, and will sport both WiFi and 3G network connections.

Both devices also support the music service Qriocity, as well as the PlayStation Suite; a digital marketplace offering old first-generation PlayStation games. The similarities end there, though, as the two handhelds are radically different in design.

The S1 is the more traditional tablet of the two, and is clearly aimed at taking some market share away from Apple’s iPad. The unit features a 9.4in screen and a unique curved back design. Sony claims that this design throws the weight of the tablet off-centre, and makes it comfortable to hold for extended periods of time.

Meanwhile, the S2 features a distinctive clamshell design. The folding device features two 5.5in screens that are capable of either working together, such as when browsing the Internet, or separately. This could potentially offer some intriguing opportunities for developers, if they can be convinced to develop specifically for the S2.

Sony is playing its pricing cards close to its chest at the moment, and no MSRPs have been announced for the devices yet. However, we do know that the new tablets are due to hit the shelves in autumn this year.

Are you looking at a tablet at the moment? Do you think Sony’s innovative clamshell design is going to fly or flop? Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

Sony finally enters tablet market Sony finally ready to enter tablet marketSony finally enters tablet market Sony finally ready to enter tablet market

20 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Th3Maverick 26th April 2011, 14:06 Quote
S2 should be bezel-less between the screens; even with a thin bezel, it seems gimmicky and like it would be frustrating to use. Seriously, anyone with more technical prowess than I in this subject: Why is it so damn hard in 2011 to make thin-to-nonexistent bezels?
memeroot 26th April 2011, 14:08 Quote
not convinced - sorry
SpAceman 26th April 2011, 14:13 Quote
Looks good. How much handling before its completely covered with fingerprints?
Yemerich 26th April 2011, 14:14 Quote
The folding one is ugly as heck!
But I really like Sony's design, so lets hope this one will be ditched!
Instagib 26th April 2011, 14:50 Quote
The SR2 looks good. Like something to pop in your pocket with more grunt than a smartphone, but it'll cost a small fortune like that ultra portable pc they made a year or so back.
azazel1024 26th April 2011, 14:59 Quote
So out of curiosity (not Qqriocity mind you), since the playstation suite is going to be available on it, an andriod tab (I assume Honeycomb, or a future flavor of honeycomb), does that mean the playstation suite is going to be accessible on other andriod tabs? Either open or hack?

The S1 is interesting, but I need price and specs to know if I should be really interested, or just be happy/hope that I might be able to access the playstation suite on a different android tab.
JCBeastie 26th April 2011, 15:43 Quote
What's the point in tablets again?

Playing games and watching movies seems to be it.
ObeyTheCreed 26th April 2011, 16:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBeastie
What's the point in tablets again?

Playing games and watching movies seems to be it.

I agree, there doesn't really seem to be a point in tablets, if you want to watch a movie sure they are useful but other than that, everything done on a tablet can be done on a console and with a lot better graphics too.
John_T 26th April 2011, 16:17 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Instagib
The SR2 looks good. Like something to pop in your pocket with more grunt than a smartphone, but it'll cost a small fortune like that ultra portable pc they made a year or so back.

Just what I was thinking.

If it's slim and light enough to comfortably fit into a jacket pocket, I could see massive potential for that.
enikmaster 26th April 2011, 16:25 Quote
I like the S1's design. I don't like de S2. Just another two gadgets in the market...
FelixTech 26th April 2011, 16:28 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Maverick
S2 should be bezel-less between the screens; even with a thin bezel, it seems gimmicky and like it would be frustrating to use. Seriously, anyone with more technical prowess than I in this subject: Why is it so damn hard in 2011 to make thin-to-nonexistent bezels?

I don't think the whole bezel is the problem - just the bit of bezel between the two screens. Although that might encourage you to use it as a single screen and maybe that isn't the best way to use it...
Sloth 26th April 2011, 20:28 Quote
Certainly won't be picking one up for myself, but hurrah for clamshells! Being able to make a tablet half as wide and twice and thick when stored really helps portability.

Every day I start taking back my questions of just what purpose a tablet would have. Being away from my computer for four days but in constant wi-fi access revealed exactly how useful a mobile internet access device would be. Being able to fold one up and drop it in a pocket would be great. Folding iPad please. :p
Eggy 26th April 2011, 21:10 Quote
Another tablet, personally I find them the most useless pieces of equipment around. They don't do anything really well. My girlfriend however uses it all the time and they sell like hotcakes. So the problem might just be me.
lamboman 26th April 2011, 21:21 Quote
I can see the market, as they are fantastic for browsing and movies. However, with smartphones being as popular as ever...a tablet isn't worth the buy. I'm sure that we can all survive without a huge screen for an hour or two...
supermonkey 26th April 2011, 21:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyTheCreed
I agree, there doesn't really seem to be a point in tablets, if you want to watch a movie sure they are useful but other than that, everything done on a tablet can be done on a console and with a lot better graphics too.
So when I'm sitting in the airport, waiting for my flight to board, I'll be sure to whip out my PS3 to do some hardcore gaming. And yes, before the rest of the crowd jumps in I realize you can also play games and watch movies on a laptop. With the amount of traveling I do, it's been my experience that small portable devices are great for short trips, and laptops often end up being bulky and more than I care to lug around.

As has been said before, if you can't see the point of a tablet device, then you obviously don't have a need for one. Other people just might have a legitimate use for a tablet, and their needs shouldn't matter to you at all.

;)
Sloth 26th April 2011, 22:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermonkey
So when I'm sitting in the airport, waiting for my flight to board, I'll be sure to whip out my PS3 to do some hardcore gaming. And yes, before the rest of the crowd jumps in I realize you can also play games and watch movies on a laptop. With the amount of traveling I do, it's been my experience that small portable devices are great for short trips, and laptops often end up being bulky and more than I care to lug around.

As has been said before, if you can't see the point of a tablet device, then you obviously don't have a need for one. Other people just might have a legitimate use for a tablet, and their needs shouldn't matter to you at all.

;)
I've actually seen a family pull out a PS3 and ~19" TV for an hour long ferry ride. You'd be amazed by some people. I'm just hoping they were drive-on passengers and not walk-on!

What's kept me from getting a laptop is that it's not truly mobile. Not only is it still fairly heavy and bulky, but it also has to be setup to some degree. The actual use of a laptop is stationary as it requires sitting down to operate, with some exceptions. A smartphone/tablet on the other hand can be used on the go, and even if you choose to sit while using one you can stand up and go at any time.
leveller 26th April 2011, 23:48 Quote
I am convinced by tablets.

However, I see no room for the S2. It looks impractical and bulky for what it is. The S1 is more mainstream and will no doubt appeal to Sony's fan base in some way. All my TVs are Sony's but the iPad2 ticks all my boxes very nicely so there is no room for an S1. The ability to play first-gen Playstation games really doesn't do it for me either.
Fizzban 27th April 2011, 12:57 Quote
I've got no use for them as they are. Perhaps in 5 - 10 years when they are lighter and have some real grunt I'll want one. Until then they are just fluff.
Fod 27th April 2011, 13:01 Quote
What's this? A new pair of tablets from Sony, heavily dependent on the PlayStation Network? Released amidst one of the biggest data thefts ever, under Sony's watch, who were storing passwords and (one can only assume since they are "unsure") credit card details in plain text?

Yes, I think these will sell well.
UrbanSmooth 27th April 2011, 17:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy
Another tablet, personally I find them the most useless pieces of equipment around. They don't do anything really well. My girlfriend however uses it all the time and they sell like hotcakes. So the problem might just be me.

The problem is not you. I feel the same way about them. They're basically a touch screen that can do limited computing. It's basically an interactive newspaper/book reader.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums