Toshiba recalls burn-hazard Satellites

Toshiba recalls burn-hazard Satellites

Certain models of Toshiba Satellite and Satellite Pro laptops are being recalled following reports of burns.

Toshiba has issued a recall notice for around 41,000 laptops following reports that the area around the power adaptor jack can overheat, and even melt.

The recall, spotted on the US Consumer Product Safety Commission site by CNET, warns that 129 reports have been received of a flaw "overheating and deforming the plastic casing area around the AC adapter plug."

Worryingly, two reports claim "minor burn injuries that did not require medical attention" while another two resulted in "minor property damage" to the area around the laptop.

Somewhat strangely for such a problem, Toshiba has issued a BIOS upgrade that detects if an overheat situation is occurring and disables external power. While this works around the problem, it doesn't fix it, and Toshiba is advising anyone who finds the protection feature kicking in to contact them for a repair under warranty.

Owners of Toshiba Satellite T135, T135D and Satellite Pro T130 laptops with model numbers starting PST3AU, PST3BU, or PST3LU are advised to download and apply the BIOS update as soon as possible. If you're running BIOS version 2.70 for the Satellite T135, 1.90 for the Satellite T135D and 2.70 for the Satellite Pro T130 then the work-around is already applied.

Are you saddened to see yet another tale of suicidal laptops, or just pleased that they're not actually bursting into flames this time? Share your thoughts over in the forums.

liratheal 3rd September 2010, 10:31 Quote
It's kind of irritating. Because they won't cause any major damage to any customers property (Something I'd love to do with some customers), but I'll doubtlessly have to deal with it anyway.

Curses.
r3loaded 3rd September 2010, 12:05 Quote
Yet another reason why my next computer will be a desktop again. Can't stand the crappy cooling of laptops, there just isn't enough space.
leexgx 3rd September 2010, 13:34 Quote
this was not an cooling issue, power pack is faulty making the socket get hot.
B1GBUD 3rd September 2010, 15:35 Quote
At least Toshiba have acknowledged it, whether these can slip out of warranty before people realise and try to return them. I know HP Laptops have heat issues on their their Nvidia GPU's and wouldn't honour a repair out of warranty, even though it is clearly a design flaw.

I know that power and GPU heat problems aren't strictly related, but it does highlight some failings in designing a suitable chassis with enough thermal convection to dump excess heat out of the little lap warmers.
Nexxo 3rd September 2010, 16:31 Quote
Cue the Apple bashing --oh, wait...
Zurechial 3rd September 2010, 16:37 Quote
Originally Posted by Nexxo
Cue the Apple bashing --oh, wait...

Get outta here, troll! :p

If I were an owner of one of the laptops in question I'd want more than just a free repair/replacement under warranty for my trouble, especially with an issue as serious as this.
HourBeforeDawn 3rd September 2010, 20:49 Quote
This is why I stick with ASUS laptops and not the crap versions sold at Best Buy.
Cupboard 4th September 2010, 19:39 Quote
My laptop did that, but because I accidentally dropped it during a sneezing fit and it landed on the plug! It does now appear to have entirely stopped charging which is a little worrying...
hellkeeper6 6th September 2010, 11:34 Quote
when i first saw the title of this article i was imagining a space shuttle mission to fix some Toshiba satellite in space :-s

I'm seriously underwhelmed.