bit-tech.net

Rumour: Nvidia Fermi for laptops available July

Rumour: Nvidia Fermi for laptops available July

This is an Nvidia GeForce GTX470, but mobile Fermi parts for laptop will be shown off in June and avaliable to buy from July-August.

According to our sources here in Taipei, Nvidia is planning on launching its new range of mobile GPUs, based on its new Fermi GPU, at the start of June. Several partners are slated to be showing off laptops featuring both Fermi-derived GPUs and the firm's Optimus tech at the Computex trade show.

While the launch of the upcoming GTX 480M 2GB was recently rumoured by an online retailer, our sources tell us that GT430 1GB and GT450 parts will also be available for pairing with the Intel HM55 chipset and Intel Arrandale mobile CPUs.

Shipping won't commence until July or maybe even August though, depending on the part, manufacturer and Nvidia's supply.

Interestingly, it seems the much older, G92b-based GTX285M and other mobile parts aren't being phased out and will continue to see strong support. We inquired why more manufacturers haven't changed to ATI, given that it's been first with mobile DirectX 11 GPUs, but were told that the strength of Nvidia's Optimus technology and pricing made its chips more attractive.

Fancy yourself an Optimus Fermi (don't Google that!) laptop? Let us know, in the forums.

64 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Krikkit 5th May 2010, 15:47 Quote
The first laptops powered by a Fermi chip - a battery life measured in nanoseconds and capable of sterilising a man in under 30 seconds. :)
dec 5th May 2010, 15:52 Quote
This just in. Nvidias CEO just discovered his new Fermi powered laptop has been causing the energy crisis and causing what the experts describe as "re-branding cancer". Details at 11
Zurechial 5th May 2010, 16:18 Quote
I saw this article and rushed in to make some witticisms in the comments but really, Krikkit and dec have summed it up already. :P

This news begs the question of just how similar these mobile GPUs are to the desktop Fermi cards, since they're 'derived' from them. With such poor efficiency and horrible thermals, how could any derivative of Fermi be suitable for laptops without being completely neutered?
_crazy_crazy_ 5th May 2010, 16:26 Quote
well you could always buy a led based cooling pad for the laptop and take with you a full radioactive suit and a small nuclear generator so you could power it for a few hours and still be safe .....





i really need to lay off the sauce :D
Ph4ZeD 5th May 2010, 16:43 Quote
The jokes are funny because its true. ATi's 5 series would make ideal laptop chips though.
Zero_UK 5th May 2010, 16:56 Quote
They do know that laptops have crap cooling already... right?o.0
Picarro 5th May 2010, 16:56 Quote
Wonder if Nvidia supply's a combined nuclear reator/phase cooler for keeping the laptop running?
mi1ez 5th May 2010, 16:59 Quote
In the words of Kings of Leon

"HEEEEYEEEEYEEEEY! Your laptop's on fire!"
Sifter3000 5th May 2010, 17:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez
In the words of Kings of Leon

"HEEEEYEEEEYEEEEY! Your laptop's on fire!"

+rep for that :D
Baz 5th May 2010, 17:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez
In the words of Kings of Leon

"HEEEEYEEEEYEEEEY! Your laptop's on fire!"

If it's on your lap, your sex really would be on fire.
TSR2 5th May 2010, 17:36 Quote
Maybe they're rebadged 8800M's? (again)
rickysio 5th May 2010, 17:56 Quote
Fermi tagline : Toasting your chances of having children.
Deadpunkdave 5th May 2010, 19:17 Quote
Fermi Mobile: When having a product line is more important than being able to sell a single unit.
HourBeforeDawn 5th May 2010, 19:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit
The first laptops powered by a Fermi chip - a battery life measured in nanoseconds and capable of sterilising a man in under 30 seconds. :)

so true so true lol.
cgthomas 5th May 2010, 20:03 Quote
From the bright side - you can grill that burger while playing crysis. I'm sure it's a fantasy of every crysis person
cgthomas 5th May 2010, 20:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio
Fermi tagline : Toasting your chances of having children.

Because of this risk the EU consumer watchdog warned nvidia not to use the word 'lap'
Gonzalo-Gonads 5th May 2010, 20:45 Quote
Quote:
but were told that the strength of Nvidia's Optimus technology and pricing made its chips more attractive.

That... and the enormous amounts of cash anonymously deposited into all manufacturers accounts :O
Quote:
The first laptops powered by a Fermi chip - a battery life measured in nanoseconds and capable of sterilising a man in under 30 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DYje57V_BY
flaming_goat 5th May 2010, 20:53 Quote
i wouldnt bet on the date. They will probably just be waving a fake laptop come july.
Sloth 5th May 2010, 21:08 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaming_goat
i wouldnt bet on the date. They will probably just be waving a fake laptop come july.
Waving it on display, or waving it to put out the flames? :D
bobwya 5th May 2010, 21:27 Quote
Will Nvidia also supply a hand cart for the car batteries...
D-Cyph3r 5th May 2010, 21:33 Quote
Nvidia; so many jokes, so little time...
Pete J 5th May 2010, 22:07 Quote
Ha Ha! Now I have this image of someone playing on their gaming laptop on the train (headphones in) whilst everyone else glares at him and his 60dB fans!
cgthomas 5th May 2010, 22:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickysio
Fermi tagline : Toasting your chances of having children.

Because of this risk the EU consumer watchdog warned nvidia not to use the word 'lap'
retrogamer1990 5th May 2010, 22:25 Quote
Rumour: Nvidia to ship free tube of Acriflex with every fermi-equipped laptop sold!
cgthomas 5th May 2010, 22:47 Quote
Just in..... Met office has confirmed that this summer we will be enjoying scorching temperatures because of all Fermi devices that will flood the market in the 3rd Quarter
Showerhead 6th May 2010, 00:18 Quote
Weel i guess they can advertise it as a new form of contraception
barndoor101 6th May 2010, 00:23 Quote
either the chips will be fermi chips, and they will castrate you, or they will be 'GF100' chips, meaning GT200 chips - just like the last generation of mobile chips.
EdwardTeach 6th May 2010, 02:08 Quote
Laughable.
Zephyr 6th May 2010, 06:45 Quote
lolololol joke about heat production and sterilization OHOHOHOHO
Santa-san 6th May 2010, 07:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgthomas
From the bright side - you can grill that burger while playing crysis. I'm sure it's a fantasy of every crysis person

Yes it is! xDDD I love all the jokes here
Ph4ZeD 6th May 2010, 08:16 Quote
They could replace the DVD drive with a slot for your toast. Just pop in your toast while your playing Crysis, and 10 seconds later, fresh toast for you and your family!
confusis 6th May 2010, 09:10 Quote
where's nvidia/intel fanboy crazyceo to defend one of his favourite companies?

I wonder if all the localised spots of massive heat will cause micro weather systems?
C-Sniper 6th May 2010, 09:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph4ZeD
They could replace the DVD drive with a slot for your toast. Just pop in your toast while your playing Crysis, and 10 seconds later, fresh toast for you and your family!

And replace the glide pad with a nice hot plate that is perfect for boiling water to make tea.

And the climatologist thought CO2 and Methane were going to be the top causes for global warming...
Xir 6th May 2010, 09:48 Quote
Quote:
Optimus Fermi (don't Google that!)
Why, what happends?
crazyceo 6th May 2010, 10:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by _crazy_crazy_
well you could always buy a led based cooling pad for the laptop and take with you a full radioactive suit and a small nuclear generator so you could power it for a few hours and still be safe .....





i really need to lay off the sauce :D

WOW!!! I have a fan!
xaser04 6th May 2010, 10:26 Quote
According to the news story on Tech report this chip will have a TDP of 100W+, far greater than the 75W max used by the HD5870m (and its predecessors).

Jokes on power consumption aside this is just not right. In a laptop (DTR included) power consumption matters, to have a gpu use far more than your direct competitor yet not provide noticably greater performance is just asking to fail.
crazyceo 6th May 2010, 10:34 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusis
where's nvidia/intel fanboy crazyceo to defend one of his favourite companies?

I wonder if all the localised spots of massive heat will cause micro weather systems?

And another one!

"We inquired why more manufacturers haven't changed to ATI, given that it's been first with mobile DirectX 11 GPUs, but were told that the strength of Nvidia's Optimus technology and pricing made its chips more attractive."

Nuff said!
confusis 6th May 2010, 11:21 Quote
ANnnnnnd here he is!
crazyceo 6th May 2010, 11:52 Quote
I refer to my previous accurate statement.
general22 6th May 2010, 11:52 Quote
So when are we going to get the desktop version NV?
Krikkit 6th May 2010, 12:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete J
Ha Ha! Now I have this image of someone playing on their gaming laptop on the train (headphones in) whilst everyone else glares at him and his 60dB fans!

If you plugged it in you could watch the train come to a stop as he was playing Crysis. :D
rickysio 6th May 2010, 12:42 Quote
Frets on Fire - now really on fire.
Grimloon 6th May 2010, 12:46 Quote
While I'm definitely in the red camp for the foreseeable future this could be a very good test of the Optimus technology to see exactly how well it can scale with this sort of difference in power requirements between the integrated and dedicated graphics.

However, I'd hope that any purchasers recieve a complimentary pair of lead lined nomex boxers to avoid any unfortunate side effects.
rickysio 6th May 2010, 13:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimloon
While I'm definitely in the red camp for the foreseeable future this could be a very good test of the Optimus technology to see exactly how well it can scale with this sort of difference in power requirements between the integrated and dedicated graphics.

However, I'd hope that any purchasers recieve a complimentary pair of lead lined nomex boxers to avoid any unfortunate side effects.

Lead lined? Heck, they need to bundle a fire extinguisher with every laptop!
crazyceo 6th May 2010, 14:14 Quote
It's kind of funny how pretty much all the main manufacturers of laptops haven't taken up the fantastic mobile gpu's offered by ATi. I wonder why that is? Maybe because they have been building the products for many years and understand components inside out enough to know whats best for their finished product combination.

Yeah you keep batting for the red team girls, the world will move on without you!
rickysio 6th May 2010, 14:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
It's kind of funny how pretty much all the main manufacturers of laptops haven't taken up the fantastic mobile gpu's offered by ATi. I wonder why that is? Maybe because they have been building the products for many years and understand components inside out enough to know whats best for their finished product combination.

Yeah you keep batting for the red team girls, the world will move on without you!

Or maybe because one party has to sell at cheaper rates to even have a decent turnover, and the other is surviving so well on PC cards that HP, Lenovo, Acer, etc are using ATi HD5XXX cards, while using pre-previous generation nVidia cards. Seriously - how many 8800GT's are they gonna respin? Let sleeping dogs lie!
Cupboard 6th May 2010, 16:10 Quote
Err, what is so bad about searching for "Optimus Fermi"?

The top two things are you guys, and a bit further down is someone with exactly the same wording!
Gonzalo-Gonads 6th May 2010, 16:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
I wonder why that is?!

.....the bribes?
Arj12 6th May 2010, 17:02 Quote
I reckon these graphics cars would be a viable and cheap heating option for those in either poles or in places like Iceland!
Mind you your electricity bill isn't going to look any good though!
rickysio 6th May 2010, 17:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arj12
I reckon these graphics cars would be a viable and cheap heating option for those in either poles or in places like Iceland!
Mind you your electricity bill isn't going to look any good though!

Should be cheaper than central heating, yet probably as effective.
TheUn4seen 6th May 2010, 20:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
It's kind of funny how pretty much all the main manufacturers of laptops haven't taken up the fantastic mobile gpu's offered by ATi. I wonder why that is? Maybe because they have been building the products for many years and understand components inside out enough to know whats best for their finished product combination.

Actually, you're wrong. Most of currently available nVidia laptops are old generation ones, close to EOL - they were designed before ATI mobile 4-series were available. New constructions use mostly ATI GPUs, simply because they are superior in every way (higher perfrmance, lower power draw and no overheating problems - we all remember HP and Dell's problems with overheating and failing nV GPUs).
CowBlazed 6th May 2010, 22:24 Quote
hahah I love seeing fanboys like crazyceo try and defend inferior products like this, makes my day.

+1 for this being another 8800M rebadge. GF100M, GF200M, GF300M and now GF400M too?. Funny part is they'd prob sell just as much and they wouldn't have to worry about the crazy power requirements.
crazyceo 7th May 2010, 10:10 Quote
Did you actually read the topic above?

"We inquired why more manufacturers haven't changed to ATI, given that it's been first with mobile DirectX 11 GPUs, but were told that the strength of Nvidia's Optimus technology and pricing made its chips more attractive."

This was stated above. It didn't say "Old rebadged GPU's" or everyone was using ATi alternatives. It stated:-

"We inquired why more manufacturers haven't changed to ATI, given that it's been first with mobile DirectX 11 GPUs, but were told that the strength of Nvidia's Optimus technology and pricing made its chips more attractive."

This was your Bit-Tech asking the questions and this was the reply they had:-

"but were told that the strength of Nvidia's Optimus technology and pricing made its chips more attractive."

That isn't me talking bollocks or claiming unprovable facts that come from other fans of other brands on a constant stream. This is your Bit-Tech asking and this was the answer they got:-

"but were told that the strength of Nvidia's Optimus technology and pricing made its chips more attractive."

(A few repeats there but you all seem to be repeating the same ATi fangirl bollocks, I just back it up with fact!!!! How d'you like these apples!!!!!!!)
Picarro 7th May 2010, 13:16 Quote
That Optimus tech is probably a load of balls.
rickysio 7th May 2010, 14:12 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picarro
That Optimus tech is probably a load of balls.

Optimus rocks. It has been reviewed, and is already in units that are being sold.

Do your research before concluding about balls, my testicularly-gifted friend.
TheUn4seen 7th May 2010, 15:24 Quote
crazyceo, you really fail at trolling. Here is a fact for you:
http://hothardware.com/News/AMD-claims-to-lead-discrete-mobile-GPU-market/

For the lazy:
Quote:
AMD is claiming to now lead the discrete mobile GPU market with a 36.5 percent market share gain and a whopping 87.2 percent more units sold in the first six months of 2009 compared to the first six months of 2008. At this point, AMD claims to hold 53 percent of the discrete mobile market, and credits the jump in sales to the strong positioning of the ATI Mobility HD 4000 series.
crazyceo 7th May 2010, 18:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUn4seen
crazyceo, you really fail at trolling. Here is a fact for you:
http://hothardware.com/News/AMD-claims-to-lead-discrete-mobile-GPU-market/

For the lazy:
Quote:
AMD is claiming to now lead the discrete mobile GPU market with a 36.5 percent market share gain and a whopping 87.2 percent more units sold in the first six months of 2009 compared to the first six months of 2008. At this point, AMD claims to hold 53 percent of the discrete mobile market, and credits the jump in sales to the strong positioning of the ATI Mobility HD 4000 series.

WTF? read the topic above d*%khead! and your so called facts are from the AMD PR department. Bit-Tech went to the actual laptop manufacturers to get the INDEPENDENT response.
M7ck 7th May 2010, 18:59 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUn4seen
crazyceo, you really fail at trolling. Here is a fact for you:
http://hothardware.com/News/AMD-claims-to-lead-discrete-mobile-GPU-market/

For the lazy:

Dude, you are posting AMD claims as fact. You fail.
Krayzie_B.o.n.e. 7th May 2010, 23:39 Quote
Are these Fermi Laptops gonna come with a special heat sheild to protect a man's you know what from being burned like a hotdog that has fallen into the charcoals?

Fermi laptops will have the same battery packs as the Terminator.
Fizzban 8th May 2010, 00:04 Quote
The sad thing is, a lot of people who buy laptops really know nothing about what is inside them. They will just see the Optimus Fermi bollocks on the advert/packaging and think they are getting something amazing. It won't be until after 30 minutes of browsing the internet, when the battery dies, that they will realise their mistake.
rickysio 8th May 2010, 05:15 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzban
The sad thing is, a lot of people who buy laptops really know nothing about what is inside them. They will just see the Optimus Fermi bollocks on the advert/packaging and think they are getting something amazing. It won't be until after 30 minutes of browsing the internet, when the battery dies, that they will realise their mistake.

Next GPU nVidia introduces better be the Prime platform!
GiantStickMan 10th May 2010, 07:23 Quote
I'll wait to see the real world benchmarks etc before passing judgement on it.
Dymond 11th May 2010, 17:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krikkit
The first laptops powered by a Fermi chip - a battery life measured in nanoseconds and capable of sterilising a man in under 30 seconds. :)
I second that. I waited ages for the 480 to be released. I even put off upgrading one of my Machines despite the constant delays. For what... I found I couldnt run 2 without watercooling anyway and if I did I would actually need to buy a powerstation to do it anyway. 490 Watts peak... Are they on drugs these days.

So right now I sticking with the old trusty 295 until the revise the design or I cave in and get a couple of 5970 or maybe 3 x 5870s even. At least I will be able to run them without wearing gloves while I am playing to avoid the liquid Nitrogen I need to keep 2 480s occupying the same box cool enough not to malfunction. The told me the 285s would run soundly up to 100 Degrees when I had those and complained about them. 3 weeks late, I had my money back when the memory suffered heat damage. (Incidentally I managed to keep them at around 85 Degrees normally)

Funnily enough i dont trust them anymore, the though of having something like this in my laptop to embarass me in front of clients etc if it fails? Not bloody likely.
pimonserry 5th June 2010, 01:38 Quote
Bit of a thread revival, but the first Mobile Fermi laptop is here.

It needs 3 fans to cool it.

http://hothardware.com/News/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-480M-Powered-Notebook-Sneak-Peek/

http://hothardware.com/newsimages/Item13347/big_coolers.jpg
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums