bit-tech.net

AMD to launch netbook platform

AMD to launch netbook platform

AMD has announced a low-power netbook chipset with integrated ATI graphics.

AMD's latest creation is a low-power netbook platform designed to compete with Nvidia's Ion and Intel's Atom.

AMD has finally decided to mount a serious challenge to rival Intel's Atom and Nvidia's Ion with a netbook-oriented chipset of its own.

As reported over on Liliputing, the company is planning a chipset with integrated ATI graphics designed for devices with 12" or smaller screens - in other words, a netbook chipset designed to challenge Intel's dominance in the market.

The part is expected to draw between 10 and 15 watts - that's for the chipset, GPU, and processor - meaning that AMD should be able to get some decent battery life out of a standard netbook design, and possibly even shoehorn its creation into the ultra-portable mobile Internet device and portable media player markets.

Designed as part of AMD's Fusion line, the performance of the integrated graphics chip is expected to be more in-line with a dedicated card - with full 1080p playback facilities and support for 3D accelerated gaming at a decent pace.

While AMD already has several chips aimed at the ultra-portable end of the market - including its Neo MV-40 - none are particularly friendly to battery life, something the company is clearly hoping to change with this latest announcement.

Sadly for anyone looking at getting a netbook in the next few months, AMD's platform won't be available until 2011 at the earliest - leaving the market to Intel and, increasingly, ARM for the rest of the year. How its rivals' products will have evolved in that time is likely to impact on just how successful AMD's somewhat late entry to the netbook game will be.

Would you hold out until AMD's entry has hit the market before buying a netbook, or has Nvidia got it in the bag with its Ion and Tegra chipsets? Share your thoughts over in the forum.

27 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
mi1ez 12th March 2010, 15:12 Quote
Good to see someone using the term " 'til "!
Cyberpower-UK 12th March 2010, 15:31 Quote
Hmmm, I got the wife an Acer Ferrari One for Christmas, it's definitely net-book rather than CULV. Battery life's not bad but it only gets ~1k 3DMark06's. The Onboard 3200 is enough for flash games, non-HD iplayer and YouTube and most importantly Galcon Fusion.
Icy EyeG 12th March 2010, 15:47 Quote
Isn't Athlon Neo already for netbooks? I say this because I have an Asus eeePC 1201T and it's fantastic. Good performance with Radeon 3200 and has a better battery life than 1201N (ION netbook).
l3v1ck 12th March 2010, 16:37 Quote
What about VIA's Nano 3000's?
V3ctor 12th March 2010, 16:50 Quote
LOL... Atom already has alot of the market, and AMD is only now coming to the fight? And announce that they will have a netbook platorm but in 2011? C'mon we just started 2010... :P

And the Neo lies between a netbook (Atom) and a notebook, he's in the middle, the problem is that the price of the Neo puts him in Intel's CULV territory, the only advantage is the use of the HD3200.
crazyceo 12th March 2010, 17:21 Quote
Typical AMD/ATi hot air machine claiming all but producing nothing of substance as usual.

This is a no news topic!
Jehla 12th March 2010, 17:55 Quote
What exactly are AMD doing with there time these days?
frontline 12th March 2010, 19:27 Quote
Netbooks leave me cold, they don't seem to serve any particular purpose that couldn't be done with either a smartphone or a cheap ultra-portable laptop.
wiak 12th March 2010, 19:42 Quote
netbook is out, ultra protable is in
Icy EyeG 12th March 2010, 20:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontline
Netbooks leave me cold, they don't seem to serve any particular purpose that couldn't be done with either a smartphone or a cheap ultra-portable laptop.

Well, I must say that in my case is quite the contrary. I use my netbook for nearly everything: When I'm at home I simply connect it to a 19'' LCD monitor. Therefore, I rarely fire up my Core 2 rig these days (at least when I'm not on holidays). I only use it if I need to work with large images or large presentations.
HourBeforeDawn 12th March 2010, 22:45 Quote
if it does what it claims, I will buy one to replace my ASUS 1000he. Hope it has HDMI out.
javaman 13th March 2010, 02:20 Quote
Isn't a netbook ultra portable anyway? And have you honestly tried browsing on a smart phone for any lengh of time? One tab even smaller screen, its no where near as practical. I also spend a vast majority of my time using my netbook over main machine simply because it has my uni notes on it. Why fire up a dual core to surf anyway? Also means I can sit with the family with surfing rather than some cornor of the house.
confusis 13th March 2010, 02:54 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Typical AMD/ATi hot air machine claiming all but producing nothing of substance as usual.

This is a no news topic!

Yet again CrazyCEO shows us how anti-AMD he is.
ssj12 13th March 2010, 15:39 Quote
and this is why AMD is hurting in the electronics market, they are way to slow to react to competitors. Only product line they have that is good atm is anything out of ATI.
Chocobollz 13th March 2010, 19:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Typical AMD/ATi hot air machine claiming all but producing nothing of substance as usual.

This is a no news topic!

You probably means NVIDIA :P
Chocobollz 13th March 2010, 19:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusis
Yet again CrazyCEO shows us how anti-AMD he is.

You beat me to it :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj12
and this is why AMD is hurting in the electronics market, they are way to slow to react to competitors. Only product line they have that is good atm is anything out of ATI.

That's bulldang, they aren't slow to react, they simply don't have a lot of cash to burn for the development of a new product. They even have to give all they got to survive, and you simply blame them? I bet you'll miss them if they went to bankrupt (and leaving Intel alone in the x86 CPU market). NVIDIA in other case is... (hint: they got billions in the bank :-)
crazyceo 13th March 2010, 21:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocobollz
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusis
Yet again CrazyCEO shows us how anti-AMD he is.

You beat me to it :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj12
and this is why AMD is hurting in the electronics market, they are way to slow to react to competitors. Only product line they have that is good atm is anything out of ATI.

That's bulldang, they aren't slow to react, they simply don't have a lot of cash to burn for the development of a new product. They even have to give all they got to survive, and you simply blame them? I bet you'll miss them if they went to bankrupt (and leaving Intel alone in the x86 CPU market). NVIDIA in other case is... (hint: they got billions in the bank :-)

Yet again the AMD fangirls stand up for the sinking ship. "they simply don't have a lot of cash to burn" or "I bet you'll miss them if they went to bankrupt" or "I'm telling my mommy if you call them names again!" are all the usual standard bollocks you can expect to hear from the cheerleaders.

This is a nothing news topic about more hot air from AMD because they have been caught completely off guard with the success of Netbooks. "We're bringing one out really! and ....and...and it's gonna be better and bigger than yours!" total sh!te
Chocobollz 14th March 2010, 08:02 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Yet again the AMD fangirls stand up for the sinking ship. "they simply don't have a lot of cash to burn" or "I bet you'll miss them if they went to bankrupt" or "I'm telling my mommy if you call them names again!" are all the usual standard bollocks you can expect to hear from the cheerleaders.

This is a nothing news topic about more hot air from AMD because they have been caught completely off guard with the success of Netbooks. "We're bringing one out really! and ....and...and it's gonna be better and bigger than yours!" total sh!te

So, what do you want them to do, exactly? Every tech companies are doing this thing (eg. an announcement) and yet when AMD do this, you simply blame them without any merits? Blaming someone/something surely is easy, but you won't get any respect from that. Oh and if they really are slow to react to competitors, then why is that they're the 2nd biggest x86 CPU manufacturers in the world? Because they have no substansial products? Really? Don't you think you blame the wrong company? LOL
null_x86 14th March 2010, 08:18 Quote
ITT: Intel Fanboys

I have an atom-based netbook and its crap. AMD's Neo platform is pretty good, would definetly look forward to a netbook platform from them.
Blanx3_Bytex 14th March 2010, 14:03 Quote
Srsly crazyceo where did all the intense AMD hate come from?
Did an amd engineer cheat on your wife?
Did a truckload of Phenom II's run over your dog?
Did your overclocked AMD athalon blow up in your face?

If Amd wasn't giving any competition then intel could charge whatever the **** it wanted, which is kinda what is happening now with the latest i7's, Intel, just like AMD is just trying to turn a profit, not be your friend.

I love mah core 2 duo rig yet I use a Phenom II for my gaming rig am i a pansy "fangirl" in your eyes then?
bbshammo 14th March 2010, 22:25 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocobollz
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusis
Yet again CrazyCEO shows us how anti-AMD he is.

You beat me to it :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssj12
and this is why AMD is hurting in the electronics market, they are way to slow to react to competitors. Only product line they have that is good atm is anything out of ATI.

That's bulldang, they aren't slow to react, they simply don't have a lot of cash to burn for the development of a new product. They even have to give all they got to survive, and you simply blame them? I bet you'll miss them if they went to bankrupt (and leaving Intel alone in the x86 CPU market). NVIDIA in other case is... (hint: they got billions in the bank :-)

Yet again the AMD fangirls stand up for the sinking ship. "they simply don't have a lot of cash to burn" or "I bet you'll miss them if they went to bankrupt" or "I'm telling my mommy if you call them names again!" are all the usual standard bollocks you can expect to hear from the cheerleaders.

This is a nothing news topic about more hot air from AMD because they have been caught completely off guard with the success of Netbooks. "We're bringing one out really! and ....and...and it's gonna be better and bigger than yours!" total sh!te

Oh dear.

It's always funny reading pot-call-kettle-black nonsense like this.

No offence mate, but you are clearly anti-AMD and therefore no different to a "fangirl", as you put it.

Your argument seems to assume that a firm can only succeed in a market if it's been in there from the start, which is just not the case.

There are countless cases of companies entering markets at maturity and succeeding.

There's no reason why AMD can't expect to enter the netbook market and take a fair slice, so long as they deliver a good product.

If their platform rival's ion, and atom in terms of performance and price, all that's left is marketing.

Thankfully, that's something that AMD are more than capable of challenging Intel and Nvidia with.

Furthermore, arguments like yours can be seen to infer that you almost want there to be less options for you when choosing a netbook.

As crazy as that sounds, it's more than believable from emotive "fangirls" like your good self ;)

How about you just buy the best kit for your money at the time you have it to spend?

Based on objective performance reviews at the time, of course.

Alternatively, you could just continue to always find a them-and-us stance on issues that don't call for it, and give yourself a pat on the back for sticking one to the "others".

*rolls eyes
javaman 15th March 2010, 00:26 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbshammo




If their platform rival's ion, and atom in terms of performance and price, all that's left is marketing.

Thankfully, that's something that AMD are more than capable of challenging Intel and Nvidia with.



Even then intel are making it hard for nvidia in that department. Its very possible that with ATI/AMD being one company plus able to make their own chipsets that they can put together a complete low powered package that can rival both companies. I would love to see VIA and ARM get more involved too but even then I can still see atom dominating the market for some time due to being established and having intel marketing machine behind it.

The way I see it, ion is the way forward for ultra low power. Nvidia will most likely come under just as much if not more pressure from AMD/ATI entering the market than intel especially since I haven't seen very many ion based netbooks in stores. Nvidia really need a company with a x86 licence to even have a chance with ion.
Elton 15th March 2010, 00:54 Quote
I don't care for netbooks.

I just want a decent AMD based Notebook, the ones they have now are severely lacking in cache.
crazyceo 15th March 2010, 10:34 Quote
High horses girls.

Yet again a no news topic about more hot air from AMD and the fangirls whining because the product and company is questioned.

LMFAO!
Shagbag 15th March 2010, 16:29 Quote
This thread has been a highly entertaining read. Keep it up :D
Brooxy 15th March 2010, 19:02 Quote
You're all wrong. Let's stop this fanboy arguement, and go with my new one. This is the most advanced personal computer processor known to mankind

Godlike processing power

Cower in the face of a real processor - a processor without fanboys / fangirls ;)
crazyceo 16th March 2010, 09:10 Quote
C'mon guys! you know I'm taking the piss so stop taking it personally.

I am right though! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums