bit-tech.net

AMD's 12-core Magny-Cours leaked on eBay

AMD's 12-core Magny-Cours leaked on eBay

The eBay auction offers four as-yet unreleased Magny-Cours Opteron processors - with no returns accepted.

If you just can't wait to get your hands on AMD's latest 12-cored 'Magny-Cours' Opteron processor, perhaps you'd care to risk buying leaked versions from eBay?

The as-yet unreleased dodeca-cored processors have popped up on the auction site under the user account oakvillemehlvillecomputers, available on buy-it-now at an eye-watering $7,700 (£4,880) for a batch of four 2.2GHz processors - designed for quad-processor socket G34 server systems and offering 48 logical processing cores to the host operating system.

The chips have 6MB of L2 cache, split 512k per core, but also have 12MB of L3 cache and use quad-channel DDR3-1333 ECC memory in addition to several HyperTransport connection to link the chips. There's no further details yet on optimisations or core advancements, we'll have to wait for AMD to detail those.

As reported by MaximumPC, the seller has even made plans to offer a pre-built server based around the Magny-Cours chips, offering 48 cores and 64GB of RAM in a Tyan VX50 serer case for a massive $20,000 (£12,674) - pending the release of the quad-socket Tyan S8812 motherboard designed to take the processors.

What isn't clear is quite how the seller - who appears to specialise in high-performance computing equipment - has managed to get his hands on the AMD chips in the first place. Described as "the real thing" and "from [the] AMD assembly line" - along with, slightly worryingly, "no returns accepted" - there's no clue as to whether the chips are pre-release test versions or the finished article. With AMD having previously committed to a 1H 2010 release for Magny-Cours, it's not impossible that we could be looking at a more official release sooner rather than later.

Are you interested in a 48-core system for twelve grand, or is the latest in AMD's server line not as tempting as Intel's Nehalem EX? Share your thoughts over in the forums.

46 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
barndoor101 17th February 2010, 11:26 Quote
mmm tasty. who needs 12 logical cores when you can have 12 physical ones. and quad-channel RAM.

do want
yakyb 17th February 2010, 11:28 Quote
If i was that bloke who won the lottery last week i would jump on these
Krikkit 17th February 2010, 11:31 Quote
Hell, £12k for 48 cores and 64GB of RAM is a pretty decent price really.

"No returns accepted" would be ringing alarm bells for me - unless they can guarantee they're genuine I wouldn't bother.
[PUNK] crompers 17th February 2010, 12:16 Quote
if you'd won the lottery you could just put it in the loft of your mansion and have terminals all over the house, LAN party heaven
l3v1ck 17th February 2010, 12:23 Quote
If they've been taken from AMD without permission, surely they can get ebay to stop the sale?
rickysio 17th February 2010, 12:51 Quote
Most likely fake, given the no returns accepted part.
Javerh 17th February 2010, 13:08 Quote
If they were legit, I'm sure Intel would want to get them.
crazyceo 17th February 2010, 13:48 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javerh
If they were legit, I'm sure Intel would want to get them.

Why?
NickCPC 17th February 2010, 13:54 Quote
2.2GHz? Pah.
barndoor101 17th February 2010, 13:58 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyceo
Why?

to see just how far they are ahead of AMD, then laugh.
dec 17th February 2010, 14:23 Quote
48 processing cores more RAM that should ever be allowed on a PC and a mobo OR a new car. Tell me forum which would YOU rather have?
salesman 17th February 2010, 15:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec
48 processing cores more RAM that should ever be allowed on a PC and a mobo OR a new car. Tell me forum which would YOU rather have?

New car.
B1GBUD 17th February 2010, 15:26 Quote
I don't get why they named it after the most boring place, slap bang in the middle of France... the only thing "fast" about Magny-Cours were the Formula 1 cars that used to race there.... but not anymore!
ernestBurney 17th February 2010, 16:07 Quote
drool drool drool, question is how well will it run crysis?
DarkLord7854 17th February 2010, 16:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor101
to see just how far they are ahead of AMD, then laugh.

Aw.. beat me to it :p
paisa666 17th February 2010, 17:01 Quote
Hmmm, the sweet smell of Scam...

"No return accepted", ofc, how you gonna accept a return when you sold a regular Opteron photoshoped for eBay at the little price of $7000 :P

Must be a pain in the nuts and an Epic embarrasment when you find out out you just got a crappy regular opteron for that price :D
Gareth Halfacree 17th February 2010, 17:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1GBUD
I don't get why they named it after the most boring place, slap bang in the middle of France... the only thing "fast" about Magny-Cours were the Formula 1 cars that used to race there.... but not anymore!
If I had to guess - and it is just a guess - I'd say it's a play on words. "Magny-Cours" = "Many-Cores"
trig 17th February 2010, 17:29 Quote
i was just about to purchase this item on ebay, then i read an article on msn that megan fox wants to be a mother, i'd happily volunteer of course, but in case funds are required, i better hold on...
wuyanxu 17th February 2010, 17:43 Quote
*drool*
Quote:
48 cores and 64GB of RAM
borandi 17th February 2010, 19:49 Quote
Howdy simulations :)

Given that we spent £2k at work for workstations with two Xeon E5520s, i.e. 8 logical processors, and 4GB RAM, spending 6x more on 48 procs with 64GB RAM makes it worthwhile
thehippoz 17th February 2010, 20:01 Quote
talk about putting all your eggs in one basket
D-Cyph3r 17th February 2010, 20:21 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor101
to see just how far they are ahead of AMD, then laugh.

Does Intel have a 12 core CPU I haven't heard about?
HourBeforeDawn 17th February 2010, 20:40 Quote
is this even legal? if it is legit?
barndoor101 17th February 2010, 21:16 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Cyph3r
Does Intel have a 12 core CPU I haven't heard about?

im curious as to whether 12 phenom cores will outperform 6 gulftown cores with HT
B1GBUD 17th February 2010, 21:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Halfacree
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1GBUD
I don't get why they named it after the most boring place, slap bang in the middle of France... the only thing "fast" about Magny-Cours were the Formula 1 cars that used to race there.... but not anymore!
If I had to guess - and it is just a guess - I'd say it's a play on words. "Magny-Cours" = "Many-Cores"

That's an interesting theory.
D-Cyph3r 17th February 2010, 21:45 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor101
im curious as to whether 12 phenom cores will outperform 6 gulftown cores with HT

Why? They are completely different types of CPU. Gulftown is mainstream sk1366, these 12 core AMD's are server designed for 2 and 4 socket G34 systems, the 2 will never be benchmarked against each other.

The closest thing AMD will have to a i7 competitor will be the 6 core Thubans.
barndoor101 17th February 2010, 21:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Cyph3r
Why? They are completely different types of CPU. Gulftown is mainstream sk1366, these 12 core AMD's are server designed for 2 and 4 socket G34 systems, the 2 will never be benchmarked against each other.

The closest thing AMD will have to a i7 competitor will be the 6 core Thubans.

gulftown doesnt just refer to mainstream i7 cpus - its the codename for the Xeons too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_future_Intel_microprocessors#Xeon_DP.2C_Six-Core

perhaps Beckton would be a better comparison.
D-Cyph3r 17th February 2010, 22:21 Quote
Ahh, I was getting Gulftown and Gainestown mixed up (again). Damn if theres 1 thing Intel could learn from AMD it's how to do sockets properly, having 1156 and 1366 both using mainstream i7 branded CPU's then changing from a dedicated server socket to 1366 aswell... it's almost like they were TRYING to confuse us. :S
perplekks45 17th February 2010, 22:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec
48 processing cores more RAM that should ever be allowed on a PC and a mobo OR a new car. Tell me forum which would YOU rather have?
The PC... I don't drive. Too much drinking in my life. ;)

But am I the only one that think that 64GB of RAM are not enough for 48 physical cores? I mean that's just not overkill enough for me. :p
wuyanxu 17th February 2010, 22:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45

But am I the only one that think that 64GB of RAM are not enough for 48 physical cores? I mean that's just not overkill enough for me. :p

no, that's what i thought at first, thinking 128GB would be more suitable for such a machine.

think about it, one of my university's remote access machine i regularly has 24GB for a Xeon i7 equivalent. and most of the time it's got more than 16GB used up with 2 or 3 cores being busy. so for a 48 core server, 128GB is still a bit low.

heck, even my own rig has 2GB for each core, and looking to upgrade to 16GB. that's just a gaming machine.
barndoor101 17th February 2010, 23:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
heck, even my own rig has 2GB for each core, and looking to upgrade to 16GB. that's just a gaming machine.

but technically you only have 1gb per logical core?
nemesis80 17th February 2010, 23:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Cyph3r
Does Intel have a 12 core CPU I haven't heard about?

well there was an 80 core that they used for testing, like, 3 years ago IIRC?

http://news.cnet.com/Intel-shows-off-80-core-processor/2100-1006_3-6158181.html
theflatworm 17th February 2010, 23:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu

heck, even my own rig has 2GB for each core, and looking to upgrade to 16GB. that's just a gaming machine.

Really? Why? I regularly multitask between high-end games and 'low end apps' like open-office or firefox, and I don't think I've ever seen memory usage over 3GB (yes, I'm 64bit) or any significant slowdown on my quad core system. Are you multi-tasking between instances of Crysis?!?

As to the 48 core situation, in theory I suppose you'd probably need over 64GB if you were running that many threads, but without real-world tests what theory worth?
null_x86 17th February 2010, 23:28 Quote
Do want.
livesabitch 18th February 2010, 02:19 Quote
until i actaly see one of these servers in action and have all the specs im after then its a no go for me due to the no returns!
i think it would be a great idea to phone the bloke go and see him and ask him to benchmark it in front of you so you know your getting your moneys worth!
wuyanxu 18th February 2010, 11:10 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndoor101
but technically you only have 1gb per logical core?
you and i both know that HT doesn't increase performance by that much, from cinebench's ~3.5x to ~4x over single thread performance on i7. so compared to AMD's true 12 core CPU, all Intel's parts are behind, most cores from Intel is just 6 cores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflatworm
Really? Why? I regularly multitask between high-end games and 'low end apps' like open-office or firefox, and I don't think I've ever seen memory usage over 3GB (yes, I'm 64bit) or any significant slowdown on my quad core system. Are you multi-tasking between instances of Crysis?!?

As to the 48 core situation, in theory I suppose you'd probably need over 64GB if you were running that many threads, but without real-world tests what theory worth?

try regularly multi-task between virtual machines. 8GB won't be enough and 64GB won't be enough for a many-user server.

Crysis is not the end of all, as CustomPC's latest mag shows, there's way more demanding stuff out there, such as graphical work station.
barndoor101 18th February 2010, 12:49 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
you and i both know that HT doesn't increase performance by that much, from cinebench's ~3.5x to ~4x over single thread performance on i7. so compared to AMD's true 12 core CPU, all Intel's parts are behind, most cores from Intel is just 6 cores.

i know, i was only being pedantic :P
But still, i would like to see if intels 6/8 core nehalems are faster than a 12 core opteron.

im just going off the performance difference between the 4-core opteron and the quad core Xeons. according to CPC it was about 30-40%, so will the 8-core beckton be competitive with a 12-core mangy-cours?
ernestBurney 18th February 2010, 14:30 Quote
Core Blimey (sorry it took me a day to come up with that)
barndoor101 18th February 2010, 14:51 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ernestBurney
Core Blimey (sorry it took me a day to come up with that)

http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/picard-facepalm.jpg
pullmyfoot 18th February 2010, 16:45 Quote
anyone else think that Magny-Cours sounds like many cores?
metarinka 18th February 2010, 21:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
Quote:
Originally Posted by perplekks45

But am I the only one that think that 64GB of RAM are not enough for 48 physical cores? I mean that's just not overkill enough for me. :p

no, that's what i thought at first, thinking 128GB would be more suitable for such a machine.

think about it, one of my university's remote access machine i regularly has 24GB for a Xeon i7 equivalent. and most of the time it's got more than 16GB used up with 2 or 3 cores being busy. so for a 48 core server, 128GB is still a bit low.

heck, even my own rig has 2GB for each core, and looking to upgrade to 16GB. that's just a gaming machine.

how would you even propose using 16gb on a gaming machine? I can't think of what game would even push 4gb to the limit right now. Sure on some special tasks like compliling or rending, or running virtual machines, but unless you want to be dual booted into 2 os's while compiling your next program AND runing crysis why 16gb? just to watch 10 of them sit empty.

memory is so cheap I do kinda want to make a virtual drive out of the extra gigs of ram. then I want to have a back-up macro so on boot it will load in a game. Insta boot ftw.
wuyanxu 18th February 2010, 23:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by metarinka
how would you even propose using 16gb on a gaming machine? I can't think of what game would even push 4gb to the limit right now. Sure on some special tasks like compliling or rending, or running virtual machines, but unless you want to be dual booted into 2 os's while compiling your next program AND runing crysis why 16gb? just to watch 10 of them sit empty.

memory is so cheap I do kinda want to make a virtual drive out of the extra gigs of ram. then I want to have a back-up macro so on boot it will load in a game. Insta boot ftw.
look for yourself, 4GB is starting to be not enough.
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=183525

yes, imagine RAMdisk 8GB of RAMdisk plus 2 virtual machines plus enjoying any game. i've done similar thing with 2GB RAMdisk, 2 VM (for network users in another rooms who only has a laptop) and Sins of Solar Empire, but received out-of-memory message.
OMCES20000 19th February 2010, 02:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindibadgi
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2010/02/17/amds-magny-cours-leaked-on-ebay/1

AMD's latest Opteron processor - the 12-core 2.2GHz Magny-Cours - has appeared on eBay ahead of its official release.

Oakville Mehlville Services sold these for over 8000 to an undisclosed buyer from germany

so the leaked Opterons are for real... OMCES contacted AMD to verify the sale was not breaching any clauses before the sale was final.... so there!

mark omces.com aka greencomputingpower.com
perplekks45 19th February 2010, 08:31 Quote
Wow, NOW we really believe it. If somebody from the company itself says so it MUST BE TRUE. :|

If you really had them, post screenshots and benchmarks to prove it. :p

Also, please don't advertise here, thank you very much.
HourBeforeDawn 19th February 2010, 08:39 Quote
lol @ OMCES2000 ya show us some results, granted those could be faked so we better see some video too ^^
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums