LaCie announces USB 3.0 drive

LaCie announces USB 3.0 drive

The 2Big USB 3.0 brings a promised burst read speed of 275MB/s via a two-disk RAID array.

Storage specialist LaCie has announced a new USB 3.0 external hard drive which uses two physical disks in RAID to take better advantage of the transfer rates available on the new bus standard.

As reported over on Electronista, the device - which is a collaboration with Symwave - will initially be available as a dual-1TB storage system which offers the option of RAID 0 for 2TB of total storage or RAID 1 for high availability in the event of the failure of a single mechanical drive.

In either mode, read performance is boosted by being spread across two physical disks, and thanks to the high bandwidth available on the USB 3.0 connection the company promises burst read speeds of up to 275MB/s.

Dubbed the 2Big USB 3.0, the dual-drive system will be available in both 2TB (1TB drives) and 4TB (TGB drives) capacities and formatted for either Windows or Mac.

While the use of two drives to bump up the performance is a good idea, it's important that consumers don't treat the mirroring - RAID 1 - mode as a 'backup': anything which is likely to cause one disk to go away, such as a manufacturing fault or power surge, is as likely to make both disks go away. That said, it does allow for non-critical errors on one disk to be rectified with a replacement unit without the loss of any data.

Although the 275MB/s burst read speed is impressive, the data does show just how far SSD storage has come: earlier this month Marvell demonstrated its new SATA 6Gb/s controller which was able to coax 351MB/s burst and 314MB/s sustained from an admittedly prototype read-only solid state storage device. If manufacturers truly want to make use of the data transfer rates possible with USB 3.0, SSD may be the way forward.

Would you be tempted by one of these, or does the lack of sustained read and write figures ring alarm bells? Share your thoughts over in the forums.

B1GBUD 18th December 2009, 12:09 Quote
Think I'll wait for a while, performance doesn't seem that great. If you've got enough space in yer case, why bother when 3Gb sata appears to be slightly faster. I am of course referring to mechanical drives too as I can't quite stomach an SSD let alone 2!
Icy EyeG 18th December 2009, 16:25 Quote
I'll also wait. I bought a 200 Gb FireWire 800 D2 HDD back in the day... However, LaCie released the extreme series 6 months or so later that doubled the performance...
So if I waited to make the investment I'd get a better performing disk for the same price!
BTW I'm still using it (with a 500 Gb HDD), but I've learned my lesson and won't be an early adopter for USB 3.0.
LAGMonkey 19th December 2009, 02:03 Quote
As long as this starts to bring down the price of individual 2TB drives (without enclosure) then ill be happy. At the moment, my next drive upgrade is looking eyewatering and id like the price to come down before i commit to buying 4 of them (RAID 5 donchanow).

other than that. good move, as you really want RAID to take advantage of the bus speed.
ssj12 19th December 2009, 19:17 Quote
Originally Posted by B1GBUD

exactly, ill wait for true SATA 6Gb/s support. HDDs and SSDs will fly.
NethLyn 19th December 2009, 20:13 Quote
Yeah I think after USB 1 to 1.1 to 2.0, FW 400 to 800 and whatever followed on Macs only, and now 3rd generation SATA following behind eSATA, I'm tired of having interfaces which I've bought expansion cards for which then become integrated before being superseded, especially since you may need new external cabling for USB 3.0 if I read Micro-Mart correctly.

Fair play it's the market at work and whole PCs have had a rise in sales thanks to laptops so peripherals have to move up too, probably just the time of year making me think about cost...
leexgx 19th December 2009, 22:41 Quote
USB 3 or Sata 600 (3.0) 2 disks will transfer data same rate, so see no benefit using esata over an USB 3 port, most users still use USB 2 drives over esata (only in the last 2 months on my basic bare bone cases come with Esata)

the USB 3 cable will come with the device so no issue there (you do still need USB 3 ports on the pc/laptop) (unless its an USB printer like that make much deference in printer speed usb 2 or 3)
Saivert 21st December 2009, 01:30 Quote
To Icy EyeG:
when has early adoption ever given you the best deal? get real.

The box looks good though. Aluminium <3