bit-tech.net

VIA unveils Mobile-ITX

VIA unveils Mobile-ITX

The VIA Mobile-ITX form factor is half the size of the already pretty small Pico-ITX, at 6cm squared.

If you're on the lookout for the ultimate in tiny motherboards for your next embedded computing project, forget Pico-ITX - try VIA's new Mobile-ITX format.

As revealed over on CrunchGear, the new form-factor comes in at an impressive fifty percent smaller than the already pretty microscopic Pico-ITX format, while still cramming in a whole wodge of functionality.

The 6cm square system offers an in-built CPU, memory, and a chipset to drive it all - although input and output functionality is offered by separate daughterboards. While this is perhaps a bit of a cheaty way to shrink the size of the board, it does allow manufacturers to tailor the device specifically to their needs - producing a daughterboard that has exactly the connectivity required of the job and no more, potentially reducing still further the size of the finished device.

Aimed primarily at embedded device manufacturers rather than home users, the Mobile-ITX format draws a positively tiny 5W of power under full load - although the device is designed to be twinned with a 12W power supply in order to fulfill the demand of both the board itself and the IO daughterboard it will be using.

Sadly, pricing and specifications are as-yet unavailable - but VIA promises that it will be officially announcing the first product based around the new form factor early next year.

Is your mind swimming with the possibilities for a 6x6cm x86-compatible PC that can be passively cooled, or does it all depend on the size of a usable daughterboard? Share your thoughts over in the forums.

18 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
tad2008 3rd December 2009, 16:39 Quote
Well it seems that in the article over on "Slash Gear" that it has the following specs:

CPU modules based on the Mobile-ITX form factor integrate core CPU, chipset and memory functionality and I/O that includes the CRT, DVP and TTL display support, HD Audio, IDE, USB 2.0, as well as PCI Express, SMBus, GPIO, LPC, SDIO and PS2 signals, through customizable baseboards.

I wonder how many lanes that PCI Express socket has and if you could get it to run Crysis, lol

On a more serious note though, it'd make an admirably small and incredibly compact HTPC board or even some along the lines of a netbook :o)
scawp 3rd December 2009, 16:43 Quote
will it run crysis?
scawp 3rd December 2009, 16:44 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by tad2008
Well it seems that in the article over on "Slash Gear" that it has the following specs:

CPU modules based on the Mobile-ITX form factor integrate core CPU, chipset and memory functionality and I/O that includes the CRT, DVP and TTL display support, HD Audio, IDE, USB 2.0, as well as PCI Express, SMBus, GPIO, LPC, SDIO and PS2 signals, through customizable baseboards.

I wonder how many lanes that PCI Express socket has and if you could get it to run Crysis, lol

On a more serious note though, it'd make an admirably small and incredibly compact HTPC board or even some along the lines of a netbook :o)

bet me to it!
mi1ez 3rd December 2009, 16:58 Quote
PC in a shoe?
PC in a sandwich?
PC in a book?
PC in a...
Horizon 3rd December 2009, 17:22 Quote
The whole barebones motherboard idea is appealing, wish they would apply the concept it to regular motherboards, pretty much just comes with the Chipset, PCI, SATA, USB, and Ethernet on board. Everything else would be enabled via drop-in card.
Drexial 3rd December 2009, 18:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon
The whole barebones motherboard idea is appealing, wish they would apply the concept it to regular motherboards, pretty much just comes with the Chipset, PCI, SATA, USB, and Ethernet on board. Everything else would be enabled via drop-in card.

That would be an idea. Just allow people to drop in their own Processor, video card, hard drives and optical drives. Ya know what ever they see as needing.....
theevilelephant 3rd December 2009, 20:54 Quote
If this was available now we would have ordered some at work :( will have to make do with pico and nano itx boards instead.
dec 3rd December 2009, 21:24 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi1ez
PC in a shoe?
PC in a sandwich?
PC in a book?
PC in a...

comb
PC in a hat?
PC in a glove?
PC in a Windows 7 Whopper? XD
PC in a....
stonedsurd 3rd December 2009, 22:37 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec
comb
PC in a hat?
PC in a glove?
PC in a Windows 7 Whopper? XD
PC in a....

PC?

Oh wait, they've done that.
Ross1 4th December 2009, 01:47 Quote
are we playing green pc and ham?

I could not, would not, on a boat.
I will not, will not, with a goat.
I will not pc in the rain.
I will not pc on a train.
Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! You let me be!
I do not pc in a box.
I do not pc with a fox.
I will not pc in a house.
I do not pc with a mouse.
I do not pc here or there.
I do not pc ANYWHERE!
Hazza 4th December 2009, 03:00 Quote
Haha! Well played sir :-P
livesabitch 4th December 2009, 03:19 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross1
are we playing green pc and ham?

I could not, would not, on a boat.
I will not, will not, with a goat.
I will not pc in the rain.
I will not pc on a train.
Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! You let me be!
I do not pc in a box.
I do not pc with a fox.
I will not pc in a house.
I do not pc with a mouse.
I do not pc here or there.
I do not pc ANYWHERE!

now this should be written in the custom pc mag! great little poem. well done mate.
TWeaK 4th December 2009, 13:29 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross1
are we playing green pc and ham?

I could not, would not, on a boat.
I will not, will not, with a goat.
I will not pc in the rain.
I will not pc on a train.
Not in the dark! Not in a tree!
Not in a car! You let me be!
I do not pc in a box.
I do not pc with a fox.
I will not pc in a house.
I do not pc with a mouse.
I do not pc here or there.
I do not pc ANYWHERE!

+1 million rep. Definitely put this in the mag
jhanlon303 4th December 2009, 14:30 Quote
I wonder who will be the first to H2O cool one of these?
leeroy 4th December 2009, 15:00 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanlon303
I wonder who will be the first to H2O cool one of these?

you mean drop it in a glass of water?
alpaca 4th December 2009, 17:55 Quote
no, spit on it occasionally
nicae 4th December 2009, 21:42 Quote
they just made throwing the hackers pc out of the lan party completly un-awesome :(
l3v1ck 6th December 2009, 10:59 Quote
I'd be more interested in VIA fitting their Nano to a micro ATX motherboard. A quiet media PC would be nice.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums