AMD releases first WHQL Windows 7 graphics driver

AMD releases first WHQL Windows 7 graphics driver

AMD's Windows 7 graphics driver received WHQL certification on the first day of the "Compatible with Windows 7" logo program.

The first Windows 7 Release Candidate was only let loose on the public yesterday, but AMD has been quick to announce that it’s already got a WHQL-certified Windows 7 graphics driver out of the door.

The driver received certification on the first day of the "Compatible with Windows 7" logo program, and it supports all of the ATI Radeon HD GPUs, from the 2000 series to the 4000 series. According to AMD, the driver is stable and reliable, and also features AMD’s Stream technology for GPGPU apps. The company claims that it will continue to add performance improvements and new features every month, just as it does with its Catalyst drivers for other operating systems at the moment.

AMD’s corporate vice president of software engineering, Ben Bar-Haim, claimed that the quick certification of the driver meant that “AMD has once again demonstrated its driver leadership.” He also added that “AMD is working closely with Microsoft to ensure superior performance and a reliable Windows 7 experience throughout our line of graphics processors.”

AMD is keen to point out that it’s the first company to release a WHQL-certified Windows 7 graphics driver, and AMD’s Catalyst product manager Terry Makedon said that it was an example of AMD being “first yet again”. However, although AMD is the first company to get its WHQL graphics driver out the door, Nvidia says that it’s not far behind either. A spokesperson from the company told bit-tech that although Nvidia's drivers are currently in the BETA stage, they’re in the process of being WHQL-certified at the moment. The company expects to have a WHQL Windows 7 graphics driver soon.

In the meantime, owners of ATI Radeon HD GPUs can grab the new WHQL Windows 7 driver from here, and owners of Nvidia GPUs can download the BETA of ForceWare 185.51 for Windows 7 from here. AMD says that it also plans to release a unified WHQL-certified driver for both Windows 7 and Windows Vista when it releases Catalyst 9.5 later this month.

Have you tried out Windows 7 Release Candidate 1 yet, and do you care if you have WHQL-certified drivers or not? Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

adam_bagpuss 7th May 2009, 11:46 Quote
cool looking forward to that nvidia driver as just building an i7 rig with a 260 in it with win 7
p3n 7th May 2009, 12:13 Quote
nvidia driver should be in time for me to pull my finger out and install win 7 on the weekend :D
proxess 7th May 2009, 12:18 Quote
9.2 nor 9.3 worked for me. I had to roll back all the way to 8.12
Gremlin 7th May 2009, 12:47 Quote
all worked for me, i just found the most reliable driver on win 7 that didnt cause me video playback issues on my 4830 was the 9.2 vista driver

i'll have to try a clean install rather than an upgrade i did to test how well it worked (upgraded from 7077) but the WHQL driver was an utter bitch, making windows really slow to open and render etc so i had to roll back to 9.2, so im assuming a clean install will fix that so ill do that tonight

but so far i havent liked the windows 7 drivers (except 8.12)
Paradigm Shifter 7th May 2009, 12:58 Quote
Can't remember what version I was running on my old Windows 7 install (I think it was 9.2...) but Cat 9.4 on my current install doesn't give me the correct WEI - for Gaming Graphics my 4850 scores... 2. Yep, 2. All the other scores are fine. It's just that one is whacked for some reason. Ah well, I need to install the Release Candidate today, so I'll give that a shot and see what happens.
Goty 7th May 2009, 13:23 Quote
Looks like I might need to install Windows 7 again, now....
amacieli 7th May 2009, 14:10 Quote
Yawn. My 260 works just great with 7100 and the beta nVid drivers. BTW, honest question, does anyone actually have GPGPU apps for the Radeon?
perplekks45 7th May 2009, 15:20 Quote
I'll install the RC on my laptop once I'm back in England, Sunday it is then. Can't wait to upgrade from 7057 to 7100.
And I might give it another go on my main PC even though the drivers were way to unstable for my [supposedly] dying 8800GTS which runs 100% under XP and Vista. :|

Downloaded the x64 in less than 2 hours from MS yesterday and the x86 in roughly 3 hours due to x64 being prioritized by 4:1 [450k vs 110k]. Cheers, MS! ;)
azrael- 8th May 2009, 00:38 Quote
AMD itself doesn't seem to have quite the same confidence in its Windows 7 driver as Microsoft has.

As it states here:

Note: The Windows 7 driver is not final and is provided "as is." It is not supported by AMD, and may contain software bugs. It has not completed full AMD testing. Use of this software is at your own risk.

I'm pretty sure it works fine, though. :)