bit-tech.net

Nvidia has double ATI’s desktop GPU market share

Nvidia has double ATI’s desktop GPU market share

Nvidia's share of the discrete desktop graphics market has increased to 67 percent compared with the fourth quarter of 2008.

AMD’s Radeon HD 4000-series may be giving Nvidia a tough challenge, but it looks as though Nvidia is still beating AMD in terms of market share. Last year, AMD clawed back a large chunk of market share, taking its total market share of the discrete graphics market up to 40 per cent in the third quarter of 2008. However, Nvidia now says that it’s back on top and is once again beating AMD into submission.

According to figures from Mercury Research, Nvidia’s overall market share in the first quarter of 2009 increased by 0.3 percent compared with the fourth quarter of 2008, while AMD’s decreased by 1 percent. However, the figures for individual segments of the market are much more revealing. According to the research, Nvidia GPUs now seriously dominate the discrete desktop graphics card market, with a total market share of 67 percent in the first quarter of 2009. This is a large gain of 5.4 percent compared with the figures from the fourth quarter of 2008.

Similarly, Nvidia also appears to be ruling the overall discrete GPU market, which includes laptop GPUs as well as desktop GPUs. The figures from Mercury Research showed Nvidia taking back 3 percent of the market share in the industry compared with the fourth quarter of 2008, taking the company’s total share up to 66 percent. However, while this is still an increase in market share, it looks as though Nvidia’s desktop GPU business is having slightly more success than its laptop GPU business.

It's also worth bearing in mind that these figures don't include integrated graphics; a huge market which is still apparently dominated by Intel. According to figures from Jon Peddie Research, Intel currently commands a massive 49.7 percent of the overall graphics market.

Interestingly, the figures from Mercury Research also painted a rosier picture of the graphics market in general compared with the end of last year. According to Mercury Research, overall graphics shipments went up by 3.8 percent in this quarter when compared with the fourth quarter of 2008. Similarly, Jon Peddie Research also reported an increase in sales of graphics products of 3.29 percent this quarter, when compared with the fourth quarter of 2008.

Are you surprised by these findings, and why do you think Nvidia's market share is increasing in the discrete desktop CPU business? Let us know your thoughts in the forums.

28 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Tyrmot 30th April 2009, 15:28 Quote
Seems to fit in with what Steam says as well... http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/
And AMD has a third of the CPU market too
Redbeaver 30th April 2009, 15:45 Quote
i'm completely not surprised. the only ones that do are probably the ATI fanboys.....
Goty 30th April 2009, 15:45 Quote
Data like this just goes to show how uninformed the average consumer is.
bubsterboo 30th April 2009, 15:50 Quote
Cuda + Unrestricted level H264 DXVA is a clear winner for me. Cuda has great potential.

Won't consider buying an ATI card until it can do the things my Nvidia card can in terms of media playback, encoding, even adobe CS4 apps now.
Hustler 30th April 2009, 15:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterboo
Cuda + Unrestricted level H264 DXVA is a clear winner for me. Cuda has great potential.

Won't consider buying an ATI card until it can do the things my Nvidia card can in terms of media playback, encoding, even adobe CS4 apps now.

Strange, most reviews i've read said ATI has a clear lead in terms of HD playback....
bubsterboo 30th April 2009, 15:56 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustler
Strange, most reviews i've read said ATI has a clear lead in terms of HD playback....

Nope. Ati DXVA is strickly restricted at level 4.1 for H264. Meaning you won't be hardware decoding much other then Blu-rays and HDDVDs. Not only does Nvidia currently support unrestricted H264 DXVA, but CoreAVC has taken advantage of Cuda. Thus the popular CoreAVC H264 Decoder can decode any H264 content on your GPU.

Nvidia is way ahead for general purpose GPU computing. This will probably change when OpenCL becomes the standard though.
This is probably not relevant to most people however. I'm a bit of a media junky and like to use my computer for other things then games.
mclintox 30th April 2009, 16:40 Quote
Figures for shipping out to resellers/retailers is one thing,actual sales is another.
tejas 30th April 2009, 17:06 Quote
Clear lead in terms of HD playback for ATI or not... the numbers overwhelmingly speak in Nvidia's favour and rightly so. After the nightmare that was crossfire with 3870X2 Quadfire and 4870 crossfire I can safely say that I am massively happy to be with Nvidia.

If ATI can't even gain marketshare when they have such "great" GPUs as the enthusiast press keep shoving down our throats, then they are frankly a nothing competitor. AMD CPU's on the other hand are excellent propositions. AMD keep talking about price performance bullshit but it seems consumers still prefer Nvidia cards.

Hmm I wonder why??? Better drivers, better dev support, CUDA prowess in folding and Adobe CS4, Multi GPU that works without stuttering and IQ degredation

My GTX285 SLI setup has been nothing but perfect and stutter free oh and this is on the much maligned and hated 780i motherboard which has never given me a single issue.
glaeken 30th April 2009, 17:29 Quote
ATi also has the gpu in the Wii and 360, so it isn't like ATi isn't a complete non-contender.
frontline 30th April 2009, 17:32 Quote
I seriously suspect it is due to Nvidia owners 'upgrading' from an 8800GT to a 9800GT (insert numerous other re-branded Nvidia cards here)...
wuyanxu 30th April 2009, 17:57 Quote
4800 are nice and finally a contender, but in reality, as recent Bit-tech gtx275 and 4890 review indicated, nVidia cards are generally easier to live with.
thehippoz 30th April 2009, 18:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by frontline
I seriously suspect it is due to Nvidia owners 'upgrading' from an 8800GT to a 9800GT (insert numerous other re-branded Nvidia cards here)...

hype goes a long way.. that boy has some pipes on him
thehippoz 30th April 2009, 18:07 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuyanxu
4800 are nice and finally a contender, but in reality, as recent Bit-tech gtx275 and 4890 review indicated, nVidia cards are generally easier to live with.

yeah I agree their hardware never really been the issue (well besides the chipsets).. it's just the way they do things that bothers me.. and they tend to say things that aren't exactly true- why I'm happy intel is in the game later this year
lp1988 30th April 2009, 18:35 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehippoz
yeah I agree their hardware never really been the issue (well besides the chipsets).. it's just the way they do things that bothers me.. and they tend to say things that aren't exactly true- why I'm happy intel is in the game later this year

And you would say that Intel or Nvidia is any better, there is really no major diffrence, Intel claiming that a core i7 increase gaming by 80% and Nvidia rebranding old hardware. in terms of how the companies do things there are no angels, just a**wholes.
hodgy100 30th April 2009, 19:21 Quote
I just buy whatever is best bang for buck at the time. when i built my pc the HD4850 was the best card in my price range3 so i bought it, and im really happy with it :D
JyX 30th April 2009, 19:40 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterboo
Thus the popular CoreAVC H264 Decoder can decode any H264 content on your GPU.

If you want to say pirated content, GROW THE BALLS AND SAY IT!
But that wouldn't make it right, would it !?

Anyway, your point... is pointless!

Consider that most people that make personal HD content have in mind archiving and assured playback... good for you that you can play unrestricted HD content... but if you want it for a standalone player, let's say granny's BluRay player, you'll have to take that into consideration.

Standards are in place for a reason! Just live with it and stop demanding more than you should.

However, if what you have is for your own pleasure and is limited to your own hardware, then it's alright... but it still wouldn't be a valid point as it only concerns you and not the general public.

In contrast as to what and who has greater market share... keep in mind that the GPU market is nv's bread and butter and they need it badly in order to survive. AMD and Intel can easily kick them in the nuts as to what chipsets concern and seen how Intel is the biggest player of them all, all that CUDA and PhysX crap can be easily turned around to OpenCL and Havok by using just it's influence... which nv can't match. Not now, not ever!

Not to sound as a fb... but nv disappointed me in the past... now I'm just on an alternative research path... and hoping AMD doesn't disappoint... hopefully!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgy100
I just buy whatever is best bang for buck at the time. when i built my pc the HD4850 was the best card in my price range3 so i bought it, and im really happy with it :D
That's the spirit!
bubsterboo 30th April 2009, 19:57 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by JyX
If you want to say pirated content, GROW THE BALLS AND SAY IT!
But that wouldn't make it right, would it !?

Anyway, your point... is pointless!

Consider that most people that make personal HD content have in mind archiving and assured playback... good for you that you can play unrestricted HD content... but if you want it for a standalone player, let's say granny's BluRay player, you'll have to take that into consideration.

Standards are in place for a reason! Just live with it and stop demanding more than you should.

However, if what you have is for your own pleasure and is limited to your own hardware, then it's alright... but it still wouldn't be a valid point as it only concerns you and not the general public.

In contrast as to what and who has greater market share... keep in mind that the GPU market is nv's bread and butter and they need it badly in order to survive. AMD and Intel can easily kick them in the nuts as to what chipsets concern and seen how Intel is the biggest player of them all, all that CUDA and PhysX crap can be easily turned around to OpenCL and Havok by using just it's influence... which nv can't match. Not now, not ever!

Not to sound as a fb... but nv disappointed me in the past... now I'm just on an alternative research path... and hoping AMD doesn't disappoint... hopefully!


That's the spirit!

I Have an HTPC with a Blu-ray/HDDVD drive. I rip my films onto my HTPC and often encode them to a higher encoding standard thus allowing lower bitrates with minimal quality loss. So I can play all my media without having to mess around with discs.

Yes, I did say that this is my own opinion and for the most part doesn't concern other people.

CoreAVC is used by many people for more then just pirated material. A lot of people use it for apple trailers for instance because Quicktime is horrible and slow on windows machines.

I'm a strong supporter of GPGPU computing. I did also mention that when OpenCL has strong support this won't be the case anymore. But as it stands Nvidia is the king for using your graphics cards for other purpose's then just Gaming. They're the best for folding too.
nicae 30th April 2009, 20:38 Quote
They could have reduced the graph's scale a little more so I could see their pimples.
JyX 30th April 2009, 22:32 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterboo
I'm a strong supporter of GPGPU computing. I did also mention that when OpenCL has strong support this won't be the case anymore. But as it stands Nvidia is the king for using your graphics cards for other purpose's then just Gaming. They're the best for folding too.

That's good to hear... standards are meant to make life easier for devs as well as consumers, but keep in mind that supporting proprietary formats especially from selfcentic companies like nv won't help you for a long period of time.

Keep in mind that MPEG, SP or AVC, aren't lossless compression standards. So any encoding you do will reduce quality... that's a mathematical fact, and if you know a bit how some of the MPEG algorithms work you'll understand.

As to nv being the king thing... that depends on how much ass-kissing is done on nv's behalf. In fact a.k. is so practiced nowadays that it's hard not to see it everywhere... jobs, health care, public services, and not to mention the commercial environment. Of course CoreCodec opted to implement CUDA but not ATI Stream... no one can know the extent of incentives of advantages promised by nv in order for their tech to be adopted. And I recall the devs saying that they will look into ATI Stream... but so far nothing has happened. That won't define who's the king. Nv still needs to leave ATI far behind with the 300 series to prove it really deserves the crown.

Look at CyberLink's the latest product... MediaShow Espresso... if the client is important, the company won't leave the 30% of potential clients in the dust by implementing both techs.

And the folding thing... read the comments to know why things are the way the are.
Drexial 30th April 2009, 22:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by JyX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterboo
Thus the popular CoreAVC H264 Decoder can decode any H264 content on your GPU.

If you want to say pirated content, GROW THE BALLS AND SAY IT!
But that wouldn't make it right, would it !?

Anyway, your point... is pointless!

Consider that most people that make personal HD content have in mind archiving and assured playback... good for you that you can play unrestricted HD content... but if you want it for a standalone player, let's say granny's BluRay player, you'll have to take that into consideration.

Standards are in place for a reason! Just live with it and stop demanding more than you should.

However, if what you have is for your own pleasure and is limited to your own hardware, then it's alright... but it still wouldn't be a valid point as it only concerns you and not the general public.

In contrast as to what and who has greater market share... keep in mind that the GPU market is nv's bread and butter and they need it badly in order to survive. AMD and Intel can easily kick them in the nuts as to what chipsets concern and seen how Intel is the biggest player of them all, all that CUDA and PhysX crap can be easily turned around to OpenCL and Havok by using just it's influence... which nv can't match. Not now, not ever!

Not to sound as a fb... but nv disappointed me in the past... now I'm just on an alternative research path... and hoping AMD doesn't disappoint... hopefully!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgy100
I just buy whatever is best bang for buck at the time. when i built my pc the HD4850 was the best card in my price range3 so i bought it, and im really happy with it :D
That's the spirit!

Man ,this is coming from a person that just installed their ATi card yesterday, chill out.

I'm sorry you feel that open standards aren't worth a damn and are only good for thieves. But I feel open standards put more information in more peoples hands, the way it should be.
JyX 30th April 2009, 23:50 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexial
Man ,this is coming from a person that just installed their ATi card yesterday, chill out.

I'm sorry you feel that open standards aren't worth a damn and are only good for thieves. But I feel open standards put more information in more peoples hands, the way it should be.

You need a brain check, kid...
The_Beast 30th April 2009, 23:51 Quote
I must be a rarity, an Intel CPU and a ATI video card


but to be honest I wanted a Nvidia card
Hamish 1st May 2009, 01:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterboo
Nope. Ati DXVA is strickly restricted at level 4.1 for H264. Meaning you won't be hardware decoding much other then Blu-rays and HDDVDs. Not only does Nvidia currently support unrestricted H264 DXVA, but CoreAVC has taken advantage of Cuda. Thus the popular CoreAVC H264 Decoder can decode any H264 content on your GPU.
hmm? mpchc uses dxva for all the x264 stuff i've thrown at it for testing on my 4870

not that i use it as i prefer to decode through ffdshow for all the lovely extra options it provides

PS, gpu acceleration in CS4 is done via OpenGL and works just fine on AMD/ATi gfx cards :)
metarinka 1st May 2009, 08:59 Quote
some of you people are throwing around extremely rare options to say the average consumer even knows about HD decoding is a long stretch. Things like SLI are flashy gimmicks and used by about 2% of users based on steam survey. I was nvidia since the ti 4XXX days, skipped the bad generations and now I'm ATI because frankly the only "pro" level task I do (music production) doesn't have an impact on gpu choice and at the time the 4800 offered some of the best performance to price and I've been more than satisfied.

anyways my only hope is that both companies stay viable and keep itnroducing good products
Slyr7.62 2nd May 2009, 02:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgy100
I just buy whatever is best bang for buck at the time.
Cha-ching! This guy knows how to do it. Same reason I ended up w/ my GTX 260, got it for under $120 after cashback . I do prefer the look and feel of Nvidia's drivers/control panels too though.
drlecter 4th May 2009, 13:36 Quote
I'm still running my 8800GTX, it still beats all the latest graphics cards hands down.
D-Cyph3r 4th May 2009, 13:57 Quote
They might have double the market share, but at what cost of profit?


Nvidia has only managed to stay competitive due to huge price cuts, something that has already pissed off it's graphics vendors.


At the end of the day anyone who's bought a new GPU in the last year or so should be thanking ATI, as it's their pricing strategy that put an end to Nvidia's silly over inflated robbery (remember how quickly the GTX280 dropped from over £500?).
info 20th May 2009, 15:11 Quote
I think it's because most consumers don't know anything about the deficits of Nvidia cards like the disaster with Nvidia's flawed mobil GPUs and the lower performance with Core i7 CPUs. They are cluelessly buying what is being advertised and rebranded by Nvidia.

Mobile GPU issue:
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-faulty-defect-gpu,7795.html
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137385/nvidia-bad-bumps-worse


Core i7 issue(could also be Intel's fault):
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-280,2156.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/socket-am3-phenom,2148-10.html
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=825&p=6
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums