Corsair launches flash backup cradle

Corsair launches flash backup cradle

The Voyager Port accepts any USB pendrive - although is clearly designed to match Corsair's Voyager range - and makes it a backup device.

While a flash drive might not be your first choice as a backup solution, Corsair thinks that the current trend of high-capacity high-speed pendrives might just be suitable – and has come up with a neat new product to help things along.

Dubbed the Voyager Port – and clearly styled after the company's top-end line of USB flash storage devices – the cradle converts a USB flash drive from any manufacturer into a one-touch backup system.

Shipped with a copy of NovaBACKUP 10 – for Windows only, sadly – the Voyager Port has just a single button which instantly triggers a backup of your chosen data. Jim Carlton, VP of marketing at Corsair, believes that the limited – but growing – capacity of solid-state flash drives is more than enough to keep the important things safe. “[i]Our research indicated that over 80 percent of users have a 'My Documents' folder of less than 64GB, and more than 85 percent need to regularly transport less than 64GB of data between different PCs.”

With 64GB pendrives now costing somewhat less than a second mortgage – and ever larger units doubtless on the horizon – it's a neat idea, but one which can be achieved purely via software using free utilities like Microsoft's SyncToy package. That said, the simpler a backup solution is, the more likely it is to actually be done – and anything which means you're more likely to take regular backups is to be applauded.

Whether you think that there's room on your desk for what basically boils down to a smart-looking USB extension cable with a button on it along with some backup software, making frequent backups of your most important data is certainly something to think about.

Tempted by a simplified solution for backing up your critical data, or is a pendrive just not big enough for serious backup storage? Share your thoughts over in the forums.

Krikkit 1st April 2009, 15:10 Quote
That looks like a decent bit of kit - will they be doing a version in red to go with the Voyager GT?
wuyanxu 1st April 2009, 15:22 Quote
more of a gimmick than useful IMHO, i use SyncToy on a regular base and it's free to simply plug a USB pen drive into any port.
Floyd 1st April 2009, 15:53 Quote
Why use this base when you can just plug it into the PC via a regular jack? Yea I know you get the one touch backup and all that but really is it worth it?
BigM2006 1st April 2009, 16:20 Quote
if anything, I use backup the other way arround - copy my pen drive files to the raid 5 array in my pc. then use the archieve function of my backup software to copy all the backups to my remote FTP server once a week.

I dont see a need to copy files onto a penstick, generally people on the move keep important data on their pen, and then want to back that up to a pc.
Stonewall78 1st April 2009, 19:23 Quote
Originally Posted by BigM2006
Yes because you know Jo Blow and everyone's neighbor has a raid 5 array and a remote FTP backup...
Not too bad an idea if the price point is right in my opinion. It they made software simple enough then even my mother in law would be able to backup her data.
DXR_13KE 1st April 2009, 20:36 Quote
i was thinking it would work the other way around, it would rapidly copy all the data from the pendrive to the local memory or computer.