Eee PC warranty still intact

Eee PC warranty still intact

The Asus Eee PC - now with a proper warranty.

Those of you who have been lucky enough to get your hands on the popular Eee PC will be pleased to hear that the company has rethought its decision to render the warranty invalid over something as simple as a memory upgrade.

Although the sub-laptop features a standard SODIMM memory socket, which is entirely user-upgradable, Asus had previously slapped a 'Warranty Void if Removed' sticker over the top of the access panel. Users, peeved that they should lose their warranty over something as simple as replacing a stick of RAM, have been contacting Asus to encourage it to reconsider this rather draconian restriction.

Well, it seems that Asus has listened. In a press release on the issue the company has stated that “Asus wishes to assure its customers that merely breaking or removing this kind of seal will not void the Asus Limited Warranty” (which does rather raise the question of why they bothered to put a 'Warranty Void if Removed” sticker on in the first place).

It continues, stating that “Asus is committed to honouring the terms of its Limited Warranty and making sure that its customers are free to make appropriate hardware and software modifications and upgrades, regardless of whether the service is performed by an approved facility, a non-approved service provider, or by the customers themselves.

Asus has also stated that it will replace the sticker with one disavowing the company of any liability if you screw things up instead of the out-and-out voiding of warranties promised on existing models. While this is clearly good news for the majority of users, it's unlikely that the company's generosity will extend to things like soldering USB sockets directly to the motherboard.

Have any of you splashed out for an Eee PC? Planning on using it for your next mod? Let us know via the forums.

antiHero 10th December 2007, 13:29 Quote
Very nice mod! I would run an extern 2,5" hdd instead as my soldering skills are far from enough for a mod like this
DXR_13KE 10th December 2007, 14:28 Quote
what about changing the hard drive? and the battery?
antiHero 10th December 2007, 14:33 Quote
The EEE doesnt have a harddrive as it uses flash chips soldered to the motherboard as storage.
airchie 10th December 2007, 15:27 Quote
Totally sweet mod, I love it!
I want to do it now. :D
mrplow 10th December 2007, 15:41 Quote
I don't really understand the desire for these things...
outlawaol 10th December 2007, 18:15 Quote
I was thinking this thing was cheap (Sub $200). But for the $350-400 you might was well spend a bit more and get a real laptop, complete with 80gb HD, OS, 1gb of ram, and a bigger better WS monitor.

Case in point ---> http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=7754611
specofdust 10th December 2007, 18:23 Quote
****ing awesome :D

I'm gonna open up my wee precious right now. DXR - you'll be able to add a Mini-PCI-E based HDD, but it replaces the internal SSD aparently, so if you stick an 8GB one in then you lose the initial 4GB. A little annoying. In a year or two though if say 32 or 64GB mini-PCI-E based SSDs were cheap, it'd be a great upgrade. As for the RAM, that's getting done ASAP on mine.
capnPedro 10th December 2007, 19:05 Quote
I was thinking of waiting till the price comes down, then picking up a black one, vacuum forming some clear acrylic, doing an etching, LEDs, an iPod HDD, internal Bluetooth. Possibly expand the battery capacity. Custom kernel and window manager etc. Really pimp one out. Like really ridiculously.

You know, because I can. And have an uber portable machine. Oh, and get mod of the month ;).
specofdust 10th December 2007, 19:56 Quote
an iPod HDD
You're very unlikely to find space for that in the current casing. The new 1.2" drives toshiba released though? They're a strong candidate for fitting in the physical space above the RAM. You can also do internal blootooth very easily. Battery capacity is harder, although people have started investigating the possibility of building their own cells. It won't be long before uprated cells are out there. Overclocking is fairly simple too, straight to 900Mhz. Further if you're lucky/crazy.
knuck 10th December 2007, 19:59 Quote
aren't you guys annoyed by the fact that the screen is not 'fullscreen' (black plastic borders)

or is it just me ? :D
capnPedro 10th December 2007, 20:04 Quote
I've seen a Bluetooth dongle and flash drive added, so I know that's definitely possible. The plan was to vacuum form a new cover not only to give me a window, but a few extra mm for either the HDD, or a USB WiFi dongle (so I can put the HDD where the internal WiFi card is; next to the PCIe slot).

And I've swapped laptop battery cells out before - just buy higher capacity ones, and tweak the charger a little.

Overclocking? of course. I'm crazy!
antiHero 10th December 2007, 21:36 Quote
Originally Posted by specofdust

Its been done! Cuts down on battery life hard but not impossible. Check it out here!
specofdust 10th December 2007, 21:56 Quote
Wow, I can't believe I missed that. I browse those forums every day for new stuff on my little box of tricks :D

It's a fairly extreme mod, but damn that's cool. Of course, modding in the 1.8" SSD's that are just around the corner, in very large flavours, will be far far more interesting.
The_Beast 10th December 2007, 22:41 Quote
sweet ;)

great mod
chrisuk 11th December 2007, 08:53 Quote
I've got one on order, for later this week. I think, for my commute in the morning, its a bit of a bargain really. Nice and hackable as well. The closest thing I've seen over here (uk) is the N810 which is about £100 more expensive. And well, here you are probably looking at a similar step up to a basic laptop (unlike the US) - plus, if I wanted to take a 15.4" laptop on my commute, I'd take the MBP.