Razer launches new keyboard and headset for gamers

Razer launches new keyboard and headset for gamers

The Razer Lycosa in all of its backlit glory.

If you're in the market for a new keyboard designed for the gaming market, you wight want to check out Razer's new Lycosa keyboard.

Nonslip rubber, backlit keys that are individually programmable make the Lycosa stand out from the keyboard crowd, but the keys aren't the only feature that makes this keyboard worthy of your fragfests. The Lycosa also features a slim keycap structure with Hyperesponse technology, TouchPanel easy access media keys, a gaming mode option that will deactivate the Windows key, 10 customizable software profiles with on-the-fly switching, a detachable wrist rest, and 1000Hz Ultrapolling for a 1ms response time. To round it out, a USB port and headset jacks provide easy access for hooking up your headset.

The Lycosa will be made available in November for $79.99 in the US. No listing for UK pricing yet.

Speaking of headsets, Razer has a new gaming headset available as well.

The Razer Piranha was designed just for gamers. Key features include an ergonomic design for prolonged use, in-line remote for controlling volume and microphone muting, noise-filtered microphone, single-sided cable, and stereo sounds.

What makes this headset stand out from the rest? I don't know but it does look nice so for those of you that like some colour coordination with your peripherals. The Piranha will be available sometime this month for $79.99 in the US. Like the Lycosa, UK pricing is unavailable.

If that's still not enough gaming peripheral news for you, Belkin has teamed up with Razer to release the Belkin n52te hybrid gaming keyboard.

The old Belkin n52 was awesome in its own right and the n52te has added new improvements. Retailing for $69.99 in the US and £49.99 in the UK, the n52te features a backlit keypad and scroll wheel, adjustable wrist rest, eight-directional thumbpad with removable joystick, fifteen programmable keys, nonslip rubber feet, and an easy toggle between three keymap states.

You'll find it on store shelves in November.

Needless to say, Razer has you covered in your gaming peripherals but do any of these appeal to you? Check out some more pictures below and then let us know over in the forums.

g3n3tiX 5th October 2007, 17:49 Quote
I just love the Belkin n52te (tournament edition^^) hope I'll get one for me laptop (mx518 + n53te => potential killer)
The Lycosa is good lookin' too !
CardJoe 5th October 2007, 17:53 Quote
I'm still a G15 and G7 man, or a G15 and Razer Deathadder man when at work.
Dvs98SK 5th October 2007, 17:55 Quote
I like my Saitek Eclipse personally.
GuardianStorm 5th October 2007, 18:52 Quote
I have a saitek Eclipse, and a Nostromo n52, both of which are great...so i don think i need another keyboard...well not till the others break ;\
samkiller42 5th October 2007, 18:59 Quote
Originally Posted by CardJoe
I'm still a G15 and G7 man, or a G15 and Razer Deathadder man when at work.

Yea, same. don't think much is gonna beat the G15 for a while personally.

Sam
Redbeaver 5th October 2007, 19:37 Quote
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

i luv the keyboard and am looking for a new keyboard... but... I WANT RED!! :( my whole rig is black-red theme... and with my red anarchy copperhead, a red lycosa would feel right at home!

i have the n52, and its awesome. frag bf2/2142 like mad with that thing and the d-pad as weapon selector... BUT looks like they havent done anything to fix its biggest flaw: lack of keys.
devdevil85 5th October 2007, 19:53 Quote
I've had bad luck with Belkin.....
wuyanxu 5th October 2007, 20:43 Quote
wow, that gaming keyboard looks ace! shame it's more expensive than double my current keyboard+mouse.........

i don't see the point of having a ultra expensive gaming keyboards or mouse. after all, W is still W no matter where you press it.
identikit 5th October 2007, 21:49 Quote
I am so getting that Lycosa.
Stwongbad 5th October 2007, 22:08 Quote
The lycosa looks sweet but the headphones dont look that good.
Hamish 5th October 2007, 22:41 Quote
MS Natural keyboards still > *
keir 5th October 2007, 23:02 Quote
Whaoo nice looking keyboard. Been looking for a decent replacement for my Logitech diNovo
Gunsmith 6th October 2007, 00:45 Quote
the board does indeed look nice, shame about that lit logo in the top left, but...

where there is a dremel, there is a way
Bluephoenix 6th October 2007, 01:04 Quote
I prefer my Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit.

some people prefer the ergonomics of the N52, but it always felt like perching my hand on top of a billiard ball, not at all comfortable.

Saitek F_T_W!!
Faulk_Wulf 6th October 2007, 03:10 Quote
I had been looking at the n52 for a long time,
I'll just wait a bit longer and get the n52te. It looks good.
The matching keyboard looks solid too.

Personally, I-- like most others, are still drooling at this
little beauty. $1565.00 seems a bit expensive. That's $13.84 a key.
Which might not be bad for a mini 40px by 40x OLED monitor, but as a practical keyboard, its too high.

When the technology catches up to drop the cost to ~$300.00, I'll consider it.

Until then, I'll take the n52te.

EDIT: So I just checked out that Saitek Pro Gamer Command Unit and it looks awesome. And I just realized that they made the X52 Flight Set that I've been longing for. The Eclipse Keyboard doesn't look too shabby either.
r0z|3o0n 6th October 2007, 03:58 Quote
Headphones look just like Sennheiser PC150's with a different sticker on the side :/
Aankhen 6th October 2007, 10:53 Quote
The Lycosa looks butt-ugly to me. The n52te looks interesting; I'm not sure whether I'd want that or the Wolf King gaming keypad, though.

The Piranha just looks generic. :p
CardJoe 6th October 2007, 14:45 Quote
I never understood the attraction of the Saitek Eclipse. It can't do anything special, looks pretty fugly and is clacky as hell in my experience...
The_Beast 6th October 2007, 17:05 Quote
all of those look great ;)
Cupboard 6th October 2007, 21:04 Quote
Does this
The Lycosa also features a slim keycap structure with Hyperesponse technology
mean laptop-style keys? Is so, i will definitely be giving it a miss. I find it really hard to type on laptop keyboards. I prefer big, stiff clackety keys.
willyolio 6th October 2007, 21:15 Quote
i doubt it's laptop-thin. i have a "slim" keyboard, and it's about 2/3 the key height of a normal keyboard. maybe twice the thickness of a laptop one.
Kasvain 7th October 2007, 08:47 Quote
I can't understand gaming keyboards - I'm using (and always used)
Kasvain 7th October 2007, 08:50 Quote
I can't understand gaming keyboards - I'm using (and always used) cheap
whisperwolf 7th October 2007, 17:42 Quote
that news article read more like one of the Industry Bulletins forum posts than a normal news article even down to the PR sounding
The Lycosa also features a slim keycap structure with Hyperesponse technology

after having bought the saitek keyboard witht the extra 9 button pad thingum and then never using the extra features, I really do start to wonder if any of these "gaming" keyboards are worth the money.
evanbraakensiek 7th October 2007, 17:47 Quote
The belkin 'claw' looks gorgeous to be honest.
Goos!e 27th December 2007, 21:19 Quote
Just got the Piranha for X-Mas form the wifey.... nothing special about them tho... but i personally think they are quite comfy :)