bit-tech.net

Microsoft to fix 360 steering wheels

Microsoft to fix 360 steering wheels

All official Xbox 360 steering wheels are now being recalled for a free retrofit after overheating concerns.

Regular readers and bit-tech stalkers will know that I don't drive in real life and that I therefore don't really get all that excited about most realistic driving games. I therefore couldn't help a brief, but effective evil chuckle escape my lips when I read the latest announcement from Microsoft.

Microsoft is now officially offering out free retrofits for all Xbox 360 wireless steering wheels sold, ever. Microsoft says this is "a precautionary measure" and that it is "voluntarily providing customers with a free retrofit to the Xbox 360 Wireless Wheel."

Why? I'm glad you asked.

Apparently, a number of users have been having problems with the steering wheel - problems like it starting to spew out plumes of black, resinous smoke when used in wired mode. It's speculated that, since the problem only occurs when the power supply is in use, that it may not be a fault with the wheel per se, but rather a problem with the rest of the system.

Either way, Microsoft is taking no chances and is recalling all wheels for a retrofit before somebody does something stupid to try and stop any overheating.

Microsoft has suggested that all 360 users refrain from using the wheels in the mean time and have sent out press releases to get the word out. Still, we may as well take this chance to ask: how little do Microsoft know about overheating when even the official steering wheel is bursting into flames?

Ever had a piece of kit blow up on you? Ever had a red ring of death? Let us know in the forums.

17 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
Tim S 23rd August 2007, 11:29 Quote
whoops!
riggs 23rd August 2007, 11:54 Quote
'Overheating' must be Microsoft's least favourite word :p

A few years ago, my Act Labs steering wheel started making noises and smoking. One of the components inside the cartridge thing had come away from it's little heatsink, had overheated and started to melt through the plastic casing. Luckily, I managed to pick up a replacement cart for about £20 off eBay...which tbh, needed to be purchased anyway; the old cart only had a serial connection whereas the new one also has USB.
mikeuk2004 23rd August 2007, 12:11 Quote
mm I dont think ive had that problem but I do have a problem with the gear stick.

It seems to be too sensitive, because I cant play any games with manual gears. The reason is that when I turn the steering wheel or put any preasure on the wheel the gears change. Ive not really made any fuss about it because I always play automatic but ith they are recalling them back then I might as well go for it and get a working one back.
Duste 23rd August 2007, 13:01 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeuk2004
mm I dont think ive had that problem but I do have a problem with the gear stick.

It seems to be too sensitive, because I cant play any games with manual gears. The reason is that when I turn the steering wheel or put any preasure on the wheel the gears change. Ive not really made any fuss about it because I always play automatic but ith they are recalling them back then I might as well go for it and get a working one back.

Shame on you! Auto's so cheating.
devdevil85 23rd August 2007, 16:05 Quote
omg M$ and they're overheating issues........
2JSC 23rd August 2007, 21:12 Quote
At this rate, why not offer free XBL?
ChiperSoft 23rd August 2007, 22:50 Quote
How the hell does a steering wheel overheat? What is inside this thing that could possibly use enough electricity? Is the force-feedback motor over powered or something?
mattthegamer463 24th August 2007, 04:48 Quote
I don't think I will ever buy a MS hardware product again. Not even their wireless mice, which, from this I can see, can't be deemed safe anymore.

On a lighter note, that kid who put his 360 in water is the dumbest child I've ever seen.
Veles 27th August 2007, 14:24 Quote
I don't see why you won't buy anything MS again, they make some damned good PC hardware.

Pretty bloody annoying though, I want to sell mine on eBay
mikeuk2004 27th August 2007, 18:08 Quote
For those like me with the wheel. Please note that this is not just USA, its Europe too and the recall notice can be found here

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/gameplay/wirelesswheelretrofit.htm

And the form you need to complete and mail can be found here

http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/4C5B5CE6-3081-4CB4-B263-2FDB794D0B34/0/wheelcontrollerfulfillment.pdf


Would of been nice if Bit-tech liked the notice to their articel so we know what we need to do. Took me a while looking for the recall notice on the UK xbox site before thinking that it might be on the USA xbox site.
completemadness 27th August 2007, 19:23 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeuk2004
For those like me with the wheel. Please note that this is not just USA, its Europe too and the recall notice can be found here

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/gameplay/wirelesswheelretrofit.htm
and then u post a US link ? wtf ?
mattthegamer463 27th August 2007, 22:18 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veles
I don't see why you won't buy anything MS again, they make some damned good PC hardware.

Pretty bloody annoying though, I want to sell mine on eBay

Logitech > Microsoft :p


M$ will have to work a lot harder to win my vote. All I ever had from them was a Wireless optical explorer 2.0, which I loved until I got my G7. It was subsequently forgotten.
mikeuk2004 28th August 2007, 11:47 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by completemadness
and then u post a US link ? wtf ?

There is not a notice on the UK site that I could find, only on the USA site.

If you download the form you will see that it has USA and Europe mailing address to send it off.
Hamish 28th August 2007, 12:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegamer463
Logitech > Microsoft :p
logitech MX series mice are better than the new MS mice, but have you seen their new mice? the G9 for instance looks horrible :|
setpoint is also a ****ing travesty, absolutely horrific bit of software. However Intellipoint is actually very good
microsoft keyboards are win aswell
their old sidewinder line of joysticks/wheels were bloody brilliant too, i still have an MS Force Feedback wheel and joystick and they're both fantastic, real shame they dont make them anymore :(
mattthegamer463 28th August 2007, 16:13 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish
logitech MX series mice are better than the new MS mice, but have you seen their new mice? the G9 for instance looks horrible :|
setpoint is also a ****ing travesty, absolutely horrific bit of software. However Intellipoint is actually very good
microsoft keyboards are win aswell
their old sidewinder line of joysticks/wheels were bloody brilliant too, i still have an MS Force Feedback wheel and joystick and they're both fantastic, real shame they dont make them anymore :(

Ok, the G9 does seem a little function over form, but if its a great mouse who cares what it looks like, it will be covered by your hand anyways.

I still have a microsoft sidewinder gamepad that served me well for a very long time, until I got a Logitech Wingman and it was officially retired. I'm just saying I find Logitechs products to be superior for my needs and style than Microsofts offerings. I'm using Windows. I'm still a M$ slave.
Bungle 28th August 2007, 23:10 Quote
Poor old M$, starting to feel sorry for them now.

Remember Electronics run on smoke. It's only when the smoke escapes that things go wrong.;)
DougEdey 28th August 2007, 23:11 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle
Poor old M$, starting to feel sorry for them now.

Remember Electronics run on smoke. It's only when the smoke escapes that things go wrong.;)

Only the blue smoke, all other smoke is useless.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums