Cooler Master PSU warranty now 5 years

Cooler Master PSU warranty now 5 years

Cooler Master PSU's: crunchy on the outside, 5 year warranty on the inside.

We don't tend to comment on press releases that often on bit-tech, but one dropped into our inbox yesterday morning that was really out of the blue and should be beneficial of all of our readers. Cooler Master has just increased the warranty on its Real Power and Real Power M PSUs up from an industry standard three years, to a massive five years.

This is not like the hard drive saga of old, where Seagate led the way with five years after Maxtor announced a one year warranty a few years ago. Hard drives die pretty randomly and everyone has their own stories to tell, in comparison you don't really hear about people stressing over PSU reliability all that often.

However, don't get us wrong, this is not something we're turning our noses up at and Cooler Master obviously feels its PSUs are reliable enough to last out a full five years. Or, at least you know your potentially expensive investment is valid for a good deal longer than elsewhere.

Hopefully other companies will follow suit as, lets be honest, two years is perhaps a little weak.

The Real Power and Real Power M, are certified 80Plus parts for models: RS-430-ASAA, RS-500-ASAA, RS-550-ACAA-A, RS-600-ASAA,
RS-750-ACAA-A1, RS-850-EMBA, RS-A00-EMBA (1000W), so they should already be on a good standing, even though when we reviewed its 850W Real Power Pro unfortunately didn't fare that well.

Do you think five years is necessary on a PSU, or is any free extra warranty always good regardless of the product? Share your views with us in the forums.

devdevil85 31st July 2007, 16:34 Quote
Honestly, every PSU needs this warranty standard because it's almost expected (especially when you leave your PC on at night) that it will give you problems within the last 3-5 years and you'll probably have to spend another $75-$X to get yourself another decent name-brand PSU once it gives out during the last 4-5.....so I feel like Cooler Master made a good decision here to set themselves out from the rest of the pack.....I personally own a 450W Cooler Master so...I'm happy
Silver Shamrock 31st July 2007, 17:07 Quote
Nothing new. Corsair PSU's have a 5 year warranty.
DougEdey 31st July 2007, 17:11 Quote
Antec have a 5yr warranty on their Premium stuff
naokaji 31st July 2007, 17:25 Quote
5 years.... sounds good... but the only person i know that doesnt exchange the computer regularly is my grandmother.... and honestly... she doesnt have a clue what a psu even is....

personally, i've never had any computer component for 5 years... but well, its still a good thing, in case someone actually really never upgrades.
capnPedro 31st July 2007, 18:21 Quote
Does the warranty affect PSUs purchased from now onwards, or will it also include those purchased earlier (for example in June)?
devdevil85 31st July 2007, 18:32 Quote
/\ I would expect it to be for those already purchased and from now onwards.....
EmJay 31st July 2007, 19:08 Quote
I handle RMAs for a small system integrator, so longer warranties are always good in my book. PSUs aren't the biggest worry, though - we RMA five times as many motherboards as anything else.
The_Beast 31st July 2007, 19:15 Quote
well that is good for the average consumer
Silver Shamrock 31st July 2007, 20:19 Quote
Originally Posted by EmJay

Doesn't suprise me tbh. I had to buy 3 recently to get one that worked longer than a week.
MilkMan5 2nd August 2007, 16:21 Quote
Personally I think 5 years is too much for warranty.
I really think 3 years is good enough.

All CoolerMaster is doing is following the trend, nothing special or new for that matter.

I just don’t see the benefits of having a 5-year warranty PSU.

Technology changes so much and so quickly.
I can promise you that I will not have the same hardware in 5 years time.

So really, will this make me go and buy a Cooler Master PSU because it offers me 5 years – No wayyyy

I buy a product because I like it or because it performs well etc…
As long as I get a decent warranty with it (2~3 years) then I’m happy.