Nvidia pulls 162.15 driver from nZone

Nvidia pulls 162.15 driver from nZone

Nvidia has pulled the latest beta drivers from nZone.

After a number of complaints from end users, Nvidia has pulled its latest official beta driver from its nZone portal.

Last Tuesday, the company released Forceware version 162.15 for Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows XP Professional x64, Windows Server 2003 x64 and Windows Vista.

However, users in Nvidia's forums complained about BSODs when entering the driver control panel under Windows XP x64 and also problems with Lost Planet under Windows Vista.

On Friday, Nvidia decided to pull the plug on the drivers from nZone, while leaving a short message: "Due to a problem with the v162.15 Windows XP and Windows XP 64-bit Beta drivers, they have been removed for download. We will be replacing these drivers with new fixed drivers shortly."

The replacement drivers haven't turned up yet, so users should continue using the official drivers from Nvidia's homepage. Alternatively, if you're a GeForce 8800-series owner, there are also the 158.45 beta drivers available for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista.

Although these drivers were released with some show-stopper flaws, it's at least commendable that the company removed them as soon as it was aware of the problems. I guess it's part and parcel of using beta drivers...

Did you try these drivers before they were pulled? Share your experiences with them in the forums.

3.5SE 2nd July 2007, 13:38 Quote
There were problems with 32 bit XP as well. After installing the beta driver on my system I started to get BSOD's and experienced slowdowns. My AVG Free software stopped working as well. It did greatly improve playback of HD DVD's on my X2 3800+, 7800 GT system. That is when it worked. Finally I had to reinstall windows as the system just died and refused to boot into windows.
Delphium 2nd July 2007, 13:49 Quote
I have not tryed those drivers, thankfully it would seam, but 3.5SE in future should you experience such issues, i would recomend booting into safe mode and using a tool called driver cleaner pro, to totaly clean the nvidia drivers from your system, so you may freshly install the previous drivers.
This should prevent you from having to reinstall the entire OS at least .
[USRF]Obiwan 2nd July 2007, 14:06 Quote
Weird... I had read (in the "how its meant to be played" developer program interview on BT) that NVIDIA have a gazilion different systems to test games for the gamedevopers. Why did they not use it to test the drivers on these machines first before making a beta. I bet they will make sure it would not crash on these machines in comparison to the public betas that bring down beta adictive consumers pc's
Buzzons 2nd July 2007, 14:36 Quote
well they are _beta_ drivers so they can be as buggy as nVidia wants them to be, hence er, the um Beta tagging? Agreed people should submit bug reports on the driver, but to remove it means far less bug testing can now go ahead and as such the next revision may still have some bugs in that could have been removed this dev cycle
Omnituens 2nd July 2007, 16:37 Quote
I would probably have tried them, if my 8800 hadn't kerploded :(
Ramble 2nd July 2007, 18:36 Quote
I installed them on Vista, but I can't be bothered to remove them.
They work just fine for me though.
completemadness 4th July 2007, 23:42 Quote
i dont see the big news here

Sure they had bugs in them, but they are beta drivers, and you have to take them with a pinch of salt, and if the drivers have a big flaw, its best that nvidia stop distributing them until a fixed set are made