AMD's RD790 chipset pictured

AMD's RD790 chipset pictured

AMD's RD790 northbridge follows on from RD580 - it's an extremely small chip.

We have seen quite a few boards at the show based on AMD’s soon-to-be-released RD790 chipset. However, most of the boards on public display have the heatsink assembly installed, making it impossible to see the new silicon.

At the show though, we managed to find a board without any heatsinks on and quickly grabbed a picture of the tiny piece of treasured silicon.

The chipset, which is designed for AMD’s upcoming Phenom processors, features 32 PCI-Express 2.0 lanes, support for HyperTransport 3.0, socket AM2+ and also supports quad CrossFire, amongst other things.

One thing that we haven’t seen at the show is AMD’s Phenom processors – Intel’s Penryn is here, though. That’s surprising, especially when we’ve been told that RD790 will beat Intel’s X38 to market, and there is no point launching RD790 without Phenom...

Anyway, we’ll leave you with a picture, which you can discuss in the forums.

woodshop 8th June 2007, 07:56 Quote
me thinks that AMD is just waiting till the end of it all to drop the ball that all the RD790 boards you've seen running actually have a Phenom in them :)

/me exits dream land
./^\.Ace./^\. 8th June 2007, 14:33 Quote
OK, it sounds comparable to the Intel X38 chipset but can it do better :? what can a mother board with the RD790 chipset handle :? will it do SLI or just Crossfire :?
Ramble 8th June 2007, 15:41 Quote
Just crossfire, you'll have to wait for any nvidia chipsets with Phemom support to do SLI.
That may be some time yet.
./^\.Ace./^\. 8th June 2007, 22:30 Quote
I like ATI but everyone knows that if you want power then you need a few GeForce 8800's in your PC so it is a toss up for me :( if i was going to build some super graphics PC then i would wait for the Nvidia chipset but if i just wanted a good pc then an Intel based board with an X38 chipset or an AMD quad core with this chipset would be just fine with me when they become available :)
teamtd11 8th June 2007, 22:43 Quote
Ill get 1 of these when they come out, put my am2 in it while i find fundage for a quad core :P (my current motherboard is a useless)
./^\.Ace./^\. 9th June 2007, 02:02 Quote
You shouldn't complain about you board
If you see my PC, it is way older then yours and that it works awsome for doing AutoCAD 2007 2D and 3D drawings for my college assignments
So sure get a cool board when you can afford but also be proud of what you have now