bit-tech.net

Samsung announces 24" LED-backlit LCD panel

Samsung announces 24" LED-backlit LCD panel

Samsung's new 24" LED-backlit LCD panel boasts industry-leading colour saturation levels.

Samsung has today announced that it will begin producing 24" LCD panels that use LED backlighting technology in the second quarter of this year.

The panel boasts a resolution of 1920x1200, which is the industry standard for displays of this size, and will also feature a contrast ratio of more than 1000:1. Samsung claims that this is the highest contrast ratio for LCDs available today.

In addition, Samsung says that the new LED-backlit panel's colour reproduction and quality will resemble that of the highest-quality high-definition TVs available today.

With this in mind, the LED-backlit panel's specifications released by the company indicate that it will deliver colour saturation levels at 111% of the NTSC standard, while conventional monitors are only capable of 72%.

Finally, Samsung also states that the panel will make use of its S-PVA (Super Patterned-ITO Vertical Alignment) technology, which allows for a full 180-degree viewing angle.

There is no time frame for this hitting the market yet, but it's nevertheless exciting news. Discuss these developments in the forums.

31 Comments

Discuss in the forums Reply
DougEdey 12th April 2007, 08:28 Quote
Small baby steps, and we'll make it to semi-infinite contrast ratios.
Tim S 12th April 2007, 08:38 Quote
yep, I think Samsung has licensed BrightSide's technology, but I don't think this is based on that technology. I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer before we see HDR PC monitors. :)
DougEdey 12th April 2007, 08:47 Quote
this guy made an LED backlight for his LCD, personally I don't think it's too great in terms of brightness (admittedly he had a couple of LEDs die) but I hope Samsung do a far better job.

Also, haven't Samsung had LED backlights in their Plasmas?
Fod 12th April 2007, 08:53 Quote
isn't this just a panel that uses LEDs in place of the CCFLs at the edges of the screen?

i mean, sure, it will have better colour and be longer lasting but i don't think that makes it have anything in common with brightside, which has a matrix of LEDs covering the rear of the panel
RTT 12th April 2007, 09:16 Quote
Nice :D Having seen LED backlit notebook displays no doubt these will catch on quick when they hit the market
JADS 12th April 2007, 09:48 Quote
Ooh I may get a couple :)
Atomic 12th April 2007, 10:33 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTT
Nice :D Having seen LED backlit notebook displays no doubt these will catch on quick when they hit the market
I bet they will as the power usage has got to be lower for an LED based screen!
SteveyG 12th April 2007, 10:42 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEdey
Also, haven't Samsung had LED backlights in their Plasmas?

Plasmas are active displays. They don't use backlights.
airchie 12th April 2007, 10:58 Quote
Looks quite nice and the potential power-savings in notebook is very welcome but I'm still waiting to see the HDR displays, they're gonna be great! :)
Nexxo 12th April 2007, 11:04 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEdey
this guy made an LED backlight for his LCD, personally I don't think it's too great in terms of brightness (admittedly he had a couple of LEDs die) but I hope Samsung do a far better job.

Also, haven't Samsung had LED backlights in their Plasmas?
Sony already have LED based LCD laptop screens, and they are indistinguishable from CCFL-lit screens. The advantages are reduced heat and power consumption, and longer life span. They are also more resistant to damage.

A mod works better, of course, when you use a dense strip of high-brightness white micro LEDs.

Plasma screens, as pointed out, do not use backlighting as the pixels generate their own light. OLEDs do the same.
Woodstock 12th April 2007, 11:35 Quote
any word on price, makes me wonder if I should get a basic monitor when i upgrade
Ramble 12th April 2007, 12:00 Quote
This doesn't really have much to do with LEDs...
The contrast ratio is really all about the panel, and so is the viewing angle.

Looks pretty cool though.
Tim S 12th April 2007, 13:06 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramble
The contrast ratio is really all about the panel
Not necessarily... how does the BrightSide manage a 200,000:1 contrast ratio? It's because of the backlight... the panel is the same as the one sitting right next to it in the Westinghouse display here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/10/04/brightside_hdr_edr/1.html
rupbert 12th April 2007, 14:38 Quote
So will LED backlighting do away with 'backlight bleed' in lcds and plasmas?...
r4tch3t 12th April 2007, 14:39 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEdey
Small baby steps, and we'll make it to semi-infinite contrast ratios.
With blacks so dark it literally sucks the photons out of the air, and whites so brilliant you would be better off staring at the sun :D
111% of colors is good, but no doubts its going to cost an arm and three quarters of your left leg.
rupbert 12th April 2007, 14:43 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4tch3t
...but no doubts its going to cost an arm and three quarters of your left leg.

I'll have 2 then! :D
sinizterguy 12th April 2007, 14:44 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by rupbert
I'll have 2 then! :D

You have 2 left legs ?
DougEdey 12th April 2007, 14:52 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by r4tch3t
With blacks so dark it literally sucks the photons out of the air, and whites so brilliant you would be better off staring at the sun :D
111% of colors is good, but no doubts its going to cost an arm and three quarters of your left leg.


I can haggle that down to half an arm and a hobo.
Veles 12th April 2007, 14:53 Quote
I think a three quarters of your right leg is also acceptable payment
r4tch3t 12th April 2007, 14:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEdey
I can haggle that down to half an arm and a hobo.
What condition are his kidneys in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veles
I think a three quarters of your right leg is also acceptable payment
Only if your left handed, right legs tend to get more use.
Fod 12th April 2007, 17:30 Quote
guys they're not going to be THAT expensive!

as i said, they've got nothing to do with brightside, they are doing nothing smart! they simply use LED strips instead of CCFLs. nothing big, nothing clever, just an increased colour gamut due to the non spectral nature of LEDs.

backlight bleed may still be an issue but greatly reduced.
Cthippo 13th April 2007, 02:38 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinizterguy
You have 2 left legs ?

Sure he does, ever seen him try to dance?

I just hope this brings down the price on the Dell 2407s. I want one of those and if everybody else wants this, that's fine by me :D
[USRF]Obiwan 13th April 2007, 12:14 Quote
I find the "viewing angle" obsession ridiculous. Who on earth would watch their monitor from a 180 degree angle all day. You cant even read text on the screen from that angle no matter how good the display is.

You can argue that is it for office people who work with 2 or 3 persons on one monitor. But then you can better find a job where the boss is not acting like scrooge. Or you would probably break you neck after a day watching this from the side.

However it can make sense somehow if the monitor was 3 meters in width. But you then probably would 'backoff' a meter or 2 to view the whole screen anyway.

So stop the viewangle crap allready....
specofdust 13th April 2007, 12:19 Quote
What about monitors for monitoring the status of something that need to viewable by everyone in a room, so have to be wallmounted near the ceiling? There are plenty of reasons why viewingangles are important dude, I agree not hugely important, but they're far from irrelevent either.
[USRF]Obiwan 13th April 2007, 15:13 Quote
I agree with you about this, like traffic control etc. But thats not a 180 (or 80) degree angle not even close to 40degree.

This is what i mean:

This is a 90 degree (or 190 degree) viewing angle:
http://www.rcunderground.nl/rcupub/Philip/images/image_00003.jpg


This is a 80 degree (or 180 degree) viewing angle:
http://www.rcunderground.nl/rcupub/Philip/images/image_00004.jpg

This is a 70 degree (or 170 degree) viewing angle:
http://www.rcunderground.nl/rcupub/Philip/images/image_00005.jpg

Do not tell me that these are "useful" viewing angles. Because nobody can read or even slightly figure out whats on the screen. Except some color recognition or vague figures maybe.
DXR_13KE 13th April 2007, 15:27 Quote
80º=180º? it depends were you are putting the axis and the 0.

when they say 180º they mean that the cone were you can view the image has 180º, for those who do not know 180º is half of 360º that is a full turn, meaning that 180º is half a turn, meaning that this screen color is acurate in anyway you look at it.
DougEdey 13th April 2007, 15:32 Quote
It's an e-peen thang.
[USRF]Obiwan 13th April 2007, 17:03 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXR_13KE
80º=180º? it depends were you are putting the axis and the 0.

when they say 180º they mean that the cone were you can view the image has 180º, for those who do not know 180º is half of 360º that is a full turn, meaning that 180º is half a turn, meaning that this screen color is acurate in anyway you look at it.

Ignore my stupidity! :(

I thought about 90º from the absolute middle of the screen 0º and at the same time from left of screen (0º) to right side (180º) or visa versa. But then 180º angle would impossible to watch the screen at all, instead you are watching the side of the monitor! :?
konsta 13th April 2007, 17:55 Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by [USRF]Obiwan
I find the "viewing angle" obsession ridiculous. Who on earth would watch their monitor from a 180 degree angle all day. You cant even read text on the screen from that angle no matter how good the display is.

You can argue that is it for office people who work with 2 or 3 persons on one monitor. But then you can better find a job where the boss is not acting like scrooge. Or you would probably break you neck after a day watching this from the side.

However it can make sense somehow if the monitor was 3 meters in width. But you then probably would 'backoff' a meter or 2 to view the whole screen anyway.

So stop the viewangle crap allready....

I couldn't agree less. I have one of the earlier 24" Samsung panels, which has a fantastic viewing angle.

If you're contemplating using a screen for anything other than private office-style use, its very important. People watching films at funny angles round the room. People sitting on the floor next to me, or standing above me - its a pain if they can't see anything.

Also, the better the extreme of the angle, the better the more restricted performance too - I mean that on a screen with a 110degree angle, you'll get a noticeable shift in brightness even by moving your head a bit, or slumping in your chair. The better the angle, the less you'll notice brightness shifts in standard use.
bradford010 13th April 2007, 20:22 Quote
I was under the impression that, generally speaking, LCD displays using LED backlights used an array of surface mount LEDs? So in addition to the higher brightness, lower power use and lower heat the backlight was much more evenly distributed compared to CCFL (which admitedly is not nearly the problem it once was).

Samsung is supposed to be releasing local dimming LED backlit displays at some point, whether aping or licensing Brightside's tech, it seems to be a 'cheaper' implementation (eg, Brightside quoting > 200,000:1 compared to Samsung's 100,000:1).
You can usually tell the (LCD) display using some kind of local dimming type tech, given there appears at first glance to be one too many zeros in the ratio.
Log in

You are not logged in, please login with your forum account below. If you don't already have an account please register to start contributing.



Discuss in the forums