Fez 2 cancelled

Written by David Hing

July 29, 2013 // 7:42 a.m.

Tags: #fez #fez-2 #marcus-beer #microsoft #phil-fish #polytron #xbox

Indie developer Phil Fish announced via Twitter this weekend that Fez 2 has been cancelled.

The announcement was made following an argument between Fish and GameTrailers video personality Marcus 'Annoyed Gamer' Beer. Beer criticised Fish and Braid developer Jonathan Blow for not commenting on Microsoft's new policies to open up the Xbox One to indie development.

Fish responded that he had not commented yet because he was waiting for actual information to be presented before saying anything and demanded an on-screen apology from Beer.

The argument then turned unpleasant and was followed by Fish commenting on how he hated the industry and how the constant criticism and nastiness had often made him consider leaving the business for good.

In an ominous tweet later on in the day, Fish said: 'I'm done, Fez II is cancelled. Goodbye.' An update on the Polytron website also confirms the statement.

'This is as much as I can stomach,' says Fish. 'This isn't the result of any one thing, but the end of a long bloody campaign. You win.'

Fez 2 was announced during the Horizon indie section of E3 last month and was going to avoid Microsoft's consoles due to Fish's previous experience with getting Fez onto the Xbox 360, his problems with issuing a patch for the game and the company's restrictions on self publishing.

Since the announcement, Microsoft says it has changed its stance on allowing independent developers to publish titles on their systems without needing to go through a third party publisher.

QUICK COMMENT

View this in the forums

SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER

WEEK IN REVIEW

TOP STORIES

SUGGESTED FOR YOU